PDA

View Full Version : Just got 2097

rejj
8th May 2004, 12:59 PM
I found a 2nd hand copy of 2097 today going for pretty cheap, so I grabbed it. Until now, I've been exclusively playing W3SE. I've got Fusion, but I don't really touch it anymore.

I have a question: I've read a bit about this "brake tapping" technique, and apparently it involves "rhythmically tapping the left and right airbrake in sequence". I haven't seen any description of how fast you should be doing this, or for how long however. I've given it a bit of a go, and I don't really seem to be getting any effect out of it so I'm clearly doing something wrong. How are you supposed to do this? How long do you hold each for, how long do you delay between presses, and how many times do you repeat? Is it only while you are flying over a speedup pad?

I'll have to put in a bit more practice with 2097 before hitting the tables.. need to get used to this game ;)

G'Kyl
8th May 2004, 01:23 PM
There's some description of the brake tapping technique in this thread:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1313

However, as far as I understand it, it works only with the Piranha...

Have a load of fun playing 2097! It's still the very only bestest Wipeout there has ever been (note slight exageration in presented strictly personal view). :)
Oh, and feel free to enter the tables as soon as you feel comfortable with your driving!

Ben

infoxicated
8th May 2004, 03:16 PM
But of course, you wouldn't enter times that have been achieved through glitching, would you? :wink:

rejj
8th May 2004, 04:18 PM
There's some description of the brake tapping technique in this thread:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1313

However, as far as I understand it, it works only with the Piranha...

I don't see any description of brake tapping there.. just a discussion between people using it. The contents of that thread assume that the reader already knows what "brake tapping" is and exactly how to do it - they are just talking about when to apply this technique.

Have a load of fun playing 2097! It's still the very only bestest Wipeout there has ever been (note slight exageration in presented strictly personal view). :)
That was a typo for "W3SE", right? ;)

Oh, and feel free to enter the tables as soon as you feel comfortable with your driving!

I've got some times that would get me about #8-10 on some courses in some classes.. but that's not good enough for me so I'm going to wait and keep practicing.

But of course, you wouldn't enter times that have been achieved through glitching, would you? ;)
I wouldn't dream of it ;)

G'Kyl
8th May 2004, 05:08 PM
I don't see any description of brake tapping there.. just a discussion between people using it.

Hm, you're right, the thread is not exactely about brake tapping. However, somewhere down the posts Mano or Lunar speaks about how and where he taps one of the brakes. That at least gave me an idea of what he does. Anyway, you better keep asking, I guess. ;)

That was a typo for "W3SE", right? ;)

Pfft! *crosses his arms & looks away*

Ben

lunar
9th May 2004, 12:04 AM
brake tapping only works with Piranha ship, usually at speeds from 370+ (approximately, imho). :wink:

Its easy to see it in Phantom class, not so noticeable in rapier and highly rare in venom.

Its quite simple: you tap the brakes and go faster as a result. It doesn`t have to be on a speed pad, but this is where people mostly take advantage of it as the speed pad multiplies the effect. Sometimes you pitch up at the same time to increase the effect, and sometimes pitch down(going into descents). As Al said somewhere, you don`t have to alternate the brakes to get the effect. But if you`re brake-tapping away from speed pads it makes sense to alternate. I only tap on pads anyway, as I can`t fly at 430kph and go round corners while tapping the brakes........ yet. :evil: :wink:

Arnaud or Mano will know more than me, and see Assayeah`s topic "presentation" in the 2097 forum and the "terminology" topic in Pilot`s Lounge.

Congratulations on your new purchase, and welcome to the "pure" wipeout. :wink:

Shem
9th May 2004, 12:18 AM
[uhmm....sth. just crossed my mind. the tapping technique + pirhana.....
pirhana's a fish, and...it moves it's tail fin to move underwater....the same way the tapping technique makes the ship fly faster. was that the idea behind the tapping technique? or is it just me?....]

Lance
9th May 2004, 12:21 AM
heh. it could very well be. it sounds just like a game maker's mind might work :)

G'Kyl
9th May 2004, 06:19 AM
That must be the nicest way I have ever heard someone explain a game glitch. ;-))

Actually, it does sound great as it makes, however accidental in the first place, perfect sense.

Ben

rejj
9th May 2004, 11:36 AM
Its quite simple: you tap the brakes and go faster as a result.
Does this mean "press and let go of the airbrake as fast as possible", or is there a press-and-hold for some short period required? If so, how long?

On a different point... I'd just like to state for the record that I hate Odessa Keys :x .. I never liked it in the Classic League in W3SE, and I like the version of it in 2097 even less. Just needed to get that off my chest. heh.

lunar
9th May 2004, 02:58 PM
I agree about Odessa Keys. Its not much fun compared to the other tracks, and doesn`t have much of the magic.

Tapping means a very light tap, so definitely don`t hold the brakes down.

Lance
9th May 2004, 03:52 PM
Odessa Keys is the WO2 equivalent of Stanza Inter. technically difficult. just perfecting the start through the first s-curve is hard for me, but it has to be done or it will cost too much time because it's so important to build momentum early. Odessa is just full of tricky to navigate places. some people love tracks for the challenge, i don't seem to be one of those people. not yet, anyway. i don't really have bad feelings toward Odessa Keys, but i still hate Stanza Inter, maybe because the track is so flat, but still difficult. and dim and grungy looking. there's a difference between having the dim and depressed look like SI and just being dark like Odessa Keys

rejj
9th May 2004, 04:22 PM
I personally quite like Stanza Inter.. and I have nothing against tricky or difficult tracks (well okay, I don't like the pit lane in Stanza Inter, but the rest of the course is fine). The course layout of Odessa Keys does nothing for me, I don't like the atmosphere/setting, and in 2097 I don't like how dark it is in some places. Apart from that, I'm finding 2097 to be fun. Don't expect me to show up on any Odessa tables, though - I don't plan on racing it beyond the bare minimum required to unlock everything 8)

G'Kyl
9th May 2004, 04:30 PM
I have to agree with you all, Odessa Keys doesn't attract me to drive there both in terms of track design as well as its overall charme. It is not that I dislike technically difficult courses, but OK (note the irony here, yes ;-) ). On the contrary. I love Spilskinanke! It's just that, for some reason, driving OK has never been much fun for me. And don't even get me started on bottoming out in the first tunnel...!
The only fun thing about the track is how I thought "what the heck is that" while racing the course a few weeks ago, the stopped, and the realized that the whole track is actually floating up and down in the air. Err, no, I have never played Wipeout2097 during the years after it was released, why do you ask?!
;)

Ben

Lance
9th May 2004, 05:38 PM
the first time watched the ship run along the track after a race was over, i saw the horizon going up and down relative to the track. WTF is that?! :D

Wiseman
9th May 2004, 10:52 PM
That's because Odessa Keys is suspended into the air, held up by giant blimps. You can see them on the track selection screen, and it tells you this in the track description, I believe. The smaller sections towards the end of the track rock more than the larger sections do.

Personally, I really like Odessa Keys. The only 2 places I have any problems with are the giant dip near the beginning with the 2 humps that you always bottom out on, and the last hard 90 degree right that's impossible to do without jumping the corner on the higher classes.

To me, the "Stanza Inter" track of Wipeout XL is Sagar-Matha. I find both to be extremely B-O-R-I-N-G to the max at suffering from a bad case of "if you've seen one screenshot, you've seen the whole damn track, because it all looks the f@#king same!" syndrome. Not to mention they're both fairly flat, which just tops the whole suckiness factor off.

Individually, I can deal with both of those problems, like some of the tracks in Wipeout being mostly the same terrian, or places like Talons Reach being mostly flat, but together, no. It just makes for something that's about as exciting to race as a straight line. Meh.

Lance
9th May 2004, 10:59 PM
your dislike of the same terrain would then indicate a dislike of the WO3 prototype courses?

G'Kyl
10th May 2004, 04:54 AM
To me, the "Stanza Inter" track of Wipeout XL is Sagar-Matha. I find both to be extremely B-O-R-I-N-G to the max at suffering from a bad case of "if you've seen one screenshot, you've seen the whole damn track, because it all looks the f@#king same!" syndrome.

Oh, but that is what I like about Sag. The track itself may seem a little unspectacular, but driving there makes for a veeeery relaxed athmosphere. That, and the second track from the 2097/XL-soundtrack - and I am flying in circles for hours. :-)

Ben

rejj
11th May 2004, 05:38 AM
I love Sagarmatha... although I played the W3SE version of it first, which is a bit more interesting to look at (and doesn't have a pitch-black tunnel section).

That's one thing I have found about 2097 so far.. it is really dark. Well.. not overall, but any tunnel sections are extremely dark.

Wiseman
12th May 2004, 11:14 AM
your dislike of the same terrain would then indicate a dislike of the WO3 prototype courses?
Individually, I can deal with both of those problems, like some of the tracks in Wipeout being mostly the same terrian, or places like Talons Reach being mostly flat, but together, no.I'll explain it further for you using a very wierd analogy (is there any other kind?), to help you better understand, Lance.

Look at it like peanut butter(same terrian) and bananas(flat track). Alone, I think both of them are O.K., not something I'd eat alone, but I could if I had to. Put them together, and they're terrible, unbearable, yuck. However, put peanut butter with chocolate (lots of hills and great track design), much like in a Reeces Peices or a Butterfinger, and it becomes a treat indeed. (ditto with bananas with pudding or a banana split)

Understand what I'm getting at now?

EDIT: You know, looking back on this post, it looks like I'm speaking to Lance as if he were a 4 year old. :lol: Errr, sorry, that was not my intention. :oops:

Lance
12th May 2004, 03:11 PM
fear not, George; i have never progressed beyond childhood. while i am a great admirer of the combination of chocolate and peanut flavours, i am likewise a fan of the mixture of bananas and peanut butter, particularly on Graham crackers, but ordinary bread will do as a substrate also. adding chocolate as a fourth element to that last tripartite mix would be kinda tasty, too, come to think of it. which reminds me that i just got up and haven't eaten anything yet.

hm, LS101 is most flat, and definitely alleesamee textures, but i love it.

G'Kyl
12th May 2004, 04:24 PM
while i am a great admirer of the combination of chocolate and peanut flavours, i am likewise a fan of the mixture of bananas and peanut butter, particularly on Graham crackers, but ordinary bread will do as a substrate also. adding chocolate as a fourth element to that last tripartite mix would be kinda tasty, too, come to think of it.

Hmmm, now which part of which game are you talking about? Let's see, crackers may mean weapons on, simple bread then weapons off. (How am I doing so far?) And since Wiseman's two food-creations are from 2097/XL and 3, respectively, I suppose adding chocolate again to the one where it's missing tells us: You like Wip3out SE best, both in time trial and single race! I've heard people put this simpler though...
;-)

Ben

Lance
12th May 2004, 04:40 PM
i was just talking about food. :)
i don't have any of those particular items here. so i guess it's going to be pancakes for breakfast. i like them for any mealtime whatsoever, though

G'Kyl
12th May 2004, 04:52 PM
Just food... I really made up my mind here! ;)

Wiseman
13th May 2004, 08:55 AM
hm, LS101 is most flat, and definitely alleesamee textures, but i love itPerhaps, but the track design is great, so it's all good fun. And it kind of makes since to me that it's mostly the same, since I've always looked at it as a abandoned subway system of sorts. Where as on Sagar-Matha and Stanza Inter, there really isn't a reason.

Lance
13th May 2004, 02:49 PM
Stanza Inter is inside a city, so it can make sense, but Sagarmatha is supposed to be in the mountains, so one would expect courses like Killer Loop's Himalaya 1 and 2. drops like a roller coaster

lunar
13th May 2004, 05:56 PM
Cubiss Float in Fusion was more what you would expect from a mountain track, apart from the upside down loop of course (wtf). Track 3 had a great dip section through a gulley, and elsewhere there were precipices and caves which were very nice IMO.

But in defense of Sagarmatha, and in terms of how a track feels, rather than aesthetic considerations, it outshines Odessa Keys with its stops and starts, its bumps and bottom outs. Getting a good flow on Sagarmatha is very tricky, and very satisfying when you get it. A neg enables me to appreciate it even more. I think the 2097 designers were generally very succesful in making sensual rather than simply technical courses. Odessa Keys was their Friday afternoon track, I think. If it was food it would be something very stodgy, mashed potato with lumps in.

But then one man`s mashed potato is another man`s caviar, so vive la difference etc :)

Wiseman
14th May 2004, 04:29 AM
Stanza Inter is inside a city, so it can make senseWell, personally, I have not ever been to a large city where all the buildings look the same. In major cities (in America at least), all of the large downtown buildings are designed by different people, built with different materials and a have a unique look to them.

Stanza Inter, on the other hand, looks like a pre-manufactored city, a downtown version of goverment housing, if you will.

Getting a good flow on Sagarmatha is fairly easy, and rather uneventful when you get it.Agreed totally. ;) (I'm j/k with you, BTW)

Lance
14th May 2004, 05:25 AM
i was talking about the flatness of the track in Stanza, as in few elevation changes in the track surface, not the flatness and similarity of the building textures