PDA

View Full Version : Piloting Tips for WO3 Special Edition

Lance
30th April 2004, 05:54 PM
warning: boilerplate text ahead.

the Official unofficial piloting guide to WO3 Special Edition. please post your tips here. please do not post questions or comments on this thread, but start a separate thread for discussion, otherwise the tips will get so spread out it'll be hard to find them amongst the discussion, whereas finding both the tips and the separate discussion of the one you're interested in will be easy. i hope.

Boogie-man
26th January 2006, 08:50 PM
OK i'll start this off. First i would like to say that i loved the whole trading your sheald for boost thing, altho it took me a while to realise that this was an advantage. And many people i know still hate it, but as i have explained to them: Theres no other feeling in the world when your speeding past an apponants ship using the enegy you have jst drained form them lol i call this the 'vampire manouver'.

username
2nd February 2006, 10:08 AM
heres anothe tip that is hard to do: get some rockets. when smeone is behind you fire them at someone in-front with a reflector activated. when the rockets come bck at you, dodge them and the personbehind you gets the blast. ( it is best to do this trick on a jump as the ockets are ground hugging and will not get you! )

CZA
11th January 2007, 04:44 AM
Hyperthrusting off jumps gives you HUGE boosts. It's helpful to know what's ahead though so you don't fly off the track and slow yourself down.

Mark Of Insanity
28th July 2007, 02:01 PM
Abusing a glitch perhaps, but the Auto-Pilot can be very useful.

If for example, you are racing on Altima and you fly through a wall, you can use the AP to drive your craft straight out, rather than wait for the wuss wagon. Another useful tip is to use the AP just before you hit a wall and ruin your lead because it will always save your ass.

Not much of a tip but I noticed there weren't many here...

adelheid
23rd August 2007, 12:36 PM
Turbo-ing wildly off a jump can actually be helpful, allowing you to jump over hills that are bordered by long corners that straighten out on the opposite side, or even simply to avoid nightmare chicanes that you would otherwise have to deal with immediately upon landing.

Learn how to do the awesome "Quake 180" without actually stopping. I find that I perform it best on sharp corners.

Mark Of Insanity
23rd August 2007, 01:54 PM
Um, yeah, on P-Mar Project a massive jump can help you avoid a series of chicanes, I think. Very useful if you're low on shield.

jmoid
13th September 2007, 03:49 PM
This is for Wip3out and 2097/xl as well, apologies if you already know.

Tilting the ship is, for me, the key to navigating corners well. Basically if you tilt the ship back as you go into a corner, it'll make the corner easier. You can also tilt it forward to take the corner more tightly, and you can combine them, usually tilting back as you enter the bend, then forward. You can also use this in conjunction with the air brakes, which works especially well with tilting forwards to take sharp turns.

Auricom Jim
17th December 2011, 06:02 PM
@jmoid

This is the fundamental reason why wipeout, wipeout xl, and wipeout 3's physics were so good. the controls were completely screwed since fusion and on.

touge_rider
17th July 2012, 10:49 PM
Provided you have more than enough speed on that jump and ur craft's pitch is angled properly Mark.

touge_rider
17th July 2012, 10:51 PM
Um, yeah, on P-Mar Project a massive jump can help you avoid a series of chicanes, I think. Very useful if you're low on shield.

Provided the pitch of the craft and the speed of it.

touge_rider
17th July 2012, 10:55 PM
Who else knows of the boost at the start of the race? For those who don't, hover your thrust bar at the point the controller is vibrating (as long as you have a DUALSHOCK controller) until GO, then you will have a small boost depending on the strength of the AG craft's thrust.

FEISAR_ARCH
25th September 2012, 11:54 AM
Here's something a friend had to advise me on while making the race footage for my story:

Racing lines are a must. Keep the craft from veering into a wall on the straightaways. A light tap on the air-brakes might sort that out, but beware of the other contenders.

username
28th September 2012, 12:07 AM
If you don't have a dual-shock controller, you can still get a turbo start. Just try to regulate the blue thrust bar so that it's level is directly under the top-end of the energy bar. Even with a dual-shock controller, I always use this method, as I find it more accurate.

FEISAR_ARCH
28th September 2012, 10:49 AM
If you don't have a dual-shock controller, you can still get a turbo start. Just try to regulate the blue thrust bar so that it's level is directly under the top-end of the energy bar. Even with a dual-shock controller, I always use this method, as I find it more accurate.

I already use a Dual-Shock for ePSXe 1.7.0, but it won't vibrate for some reason. I used your strategy countless times before.

Anyone familiar with opposite braking? It's the predecessor to the side-shift found in Pure and beyond. Any idea when it's a good time to use opposite braking? In short it's turning in the direction opposite of the airbrake. This results in veering you craft in the direction of the airbrake. For some reason, I can't get it to veer to the side. I use it on a FEISAR, and it just turns on it's tail.

Snarble
2nd November 2018, 05:45 PM
Har there dudes. Just an old pilot checking in. I was wondering two things:
Firstly which Negcon settings do the pro's use?Should the Snarble vary settings ship to ship or can the paws (of Snarble) just dial in an overall setting on the Neggie?
Secondly which View do the pro's use? Would I be misinformed in thinking that internal view is the view of pro's and the only real way to get the hot records done?
Thanks for taking the time to listen to my small purring's of enquiry.

JABBERJAW
24th January 2019, 12:32 AM
I use sensitivity between 50-72 depending on how much the ship turns. sometimes I keep it the same for all ships, sometimes not. deadzone I put very low, I think around 3. Just enough to not turn on its own. add some if its too sensitive though. I use external, most do for wo3, but a couple use internal. Internal is easier for XL than 3

blackwiggle
28th January 2019, 10:23 AM
I always have and still do use internal [nosecam],it's the most involving.
It can be a hindrance when playing the modern online Wipeouts, but for most of the old PSone titles it's OK, only very winding tracks like Terminus at Phantom speed in Icurus or Quirex [any craft where the rear end can swing out] can be difficult in that view.

Snarble
18th February 2019, 08:16 PM
Thanks fella's (ises) for replying to the snarb! I actually set a new top ten time(21.72) for Saga-Matha in the AG systems on Wip3out se pal, how I can add that record? It wasn't even a perfect lap, I could drop the time more but I have repetitive strain in my shoulder which prevents me from gaming too much these days. I think I will stick with internal view, as I can gauge the racing line more clearly, as it feels like the view is magnified slightly? I removed the dead zone on my neggie, I am using 70 calibration for the AG systems, II for thrust and I for hyper-thrust.

carbonara2097
19th February 2019, 09:15 AM
i think i use 0 deadzone, cant remember sensitivity atm, also i use internal aswell

hit me up on discord if you wanna talk about wo3, i'm playing the game lately

Snarble
19th February 2019, 09:33 PM
hey man thanks for getting back to me! Yeh I've been hitting wipeout se every other weekend or so for a few hours, trying to get those perfect laps.I have bookmarked the wipeout reddit discord if that's what you guys use. Maybe see some of you there?