PDA

View Full Version : XL Talons TT phantom....

Mano
20th April 2004, 05:29 AM
I bet some of you guessed by the topic name what this is about.......

YES!; i made 14.8 seconds on XL talons reach TT phantom class with piranha!!!; to tell the truth it requires a lot of concentration and to not lose speed anywhere, like Asayyeah said this game has no limits!!

Arnaud: seeing you break that Valpa record really inspired me as you can see!, thanks pal!

.. oh also forgot to mention i broke my TT race time record by one tenth on that same race... 1:16.2 :)

**edit**

update.. 1:16.0 ;)

G'Kyl
20th April 2004, 07:17 AM
Damn it, I don't know WHICH thread I should use to post this - I just thought it's amazing to see how you break record after record as if before you had been playing wipeout only during commercial breaks on TV to shorten the wait for the movie. :) I hope one day I'll be able to do one or two of these impressive times myself.

Ben

Mano
20th April 2004, 07:33 AM
Thanks G´kyl!

Lol that movie comment was funny :D , but kinda true, i only played before to beat the a.i. opponents and win the classes and challenges, after that i stopped playing (i stopped playing for lots of times, and randomly played it again and each time i left the game for more time -years-), then from time to time i used to do the same thing: beat the clases beat the challenges and so on...

I just started to play to get times a bit after the wipeout XL tables were introduced, but i played on emulators so i could not put my times on the tables, then i bought a Playstation again(my third one, sold the previous 2), and i started posting times, the reason that i may be posting times updates so often is becuase currently im concentrating mostly on one track: Talon´s Reach; i have been conditioning a bit on Sagarmatha, and on the other tracks but not looking for times, again this tracks i have been racing just to beat the a.i. opponents
Point also is that thanks to the XL tables and everyone that participates on it revalues and gives new life to the game a LOT!!, specially Al´s phantom times!! this guy is really committed. I also see Lance dominating the other classes. On 2097 theres Asayyeah, this man is THE record breaker! and of course YOU! who demonstrated Quirex can be faster than Piranha on some classes!

Even worse is my condition in wo the original and on wo3.. i just played them to beat the game like i said before and to get the secret stuff (like other vehicles, classes, etc), but not to get times, i also have wo3se but i dont have the necessary original hardware to play it, i have only played it on emulators as they can run any tv standard playstation game; besides, XL is the one that inspires me the most!

G'Kyl
20th April 2004, 09:21 AM
Lol that movie comment was funny :D , but kinda true, i only played before to beat the a.i. opponents and win the classes and challenges, after that i stopped playing (i stopped playing for lots of times, and randomly played it again and each time i left the game for more time -years-), then from time to time i used to do the same thing: beat the clases beat the challenges and so on...

Same here! I only started playing for race and lap records after I signed in on this board here and then got fired up by the tables and ongoing discussions about how to go ever faster and faster and faster... :)

Oh btw: By saying "you" in my last post I did of course mean you and Arnoud. It's nothing short of impressive how rapidly you two are improving on your times these days and how much further you are able to push the barrier of what is possible with the game(s).
Serisously. I wonder if the developers even wanted us to ever go this far, or fast, to be more precise. ;-)

Point also is that thanks to the XL tables and everyone that participates on it revalues and gives new life to the game a LOT!!, specially Al´s phantom times!! this guy is really committed. I also see Lance dominating the other classes. On 2097 theres Asayyeah, this man is THE record breaker! and of course YOU! who demonstrated Quirex can be faster than Piranha on some classes!

Wow, thanks, but that's giving far too much credit to what I've been able to do - which basically is nothing more than to keep on flying the Quirex in 2097 - with hardly anyone else doing the same with dedicaton (or so it seems). I'd really like to have a US PS so I could compete more directly with Lance's times, cause that sure would be a lot of fun for me.

Even worse is my condition in wo the original and on wo3.. i just played them to beat the game like i said before and to get the secret stuff (like other vehicles, classes, etc), but not to get times, i also have wo3se but i dont have the necessary original hardware to play it, i have only played it on emulators as they can run any tv standard playstation game; besides, XL is the one that inspires me the most!

Again: Same here (although I do play 3SE and not 3 any more). 2097 really is THE WO for me. 3SE is more like the perfection of the game engine - a platform perfectly suited to do challanges on, but for me lacks a good deal of the excitment from part 2.

Ben

Asayyeah
20th April 2004, 03:10 PM
Mano Now you know what 'good emulation ' means :wink:
14.8 heheheh :P
1.16.0 hohoho 8)

I wonder if the developers even wanted us to ever go this far, or fast, to be more precise.
Yes i agree, but you know what i am sure : if they see the whole times + all the comments each WZmembers have done from the past 8 years, they should be reasonably proud to have create such awesome games for challenging even after several years :)

Question of highscores, maybe someone who well knows Nick Burcombe could ask him.? :wink: . Sorry but me i don't have that honnor :cry:

G'Kyl
20th April 2004, 03:24 PM
Yes i agree, but you know what i am sure : if they see the whole times + all the comments each WZmembers have done from the past 8 years, they should be reasonably proud to have create such awesome games for challenging even after several years :)

I bet they are. And they did it again with Quantum Redshift (or some of them, I understand). Too bad there is no site like this one around for that game.

Ben

Lance
20th April 2004, 07:51 PM
Ben is so competitive that he is trying to set new records with his quote machine. ;) ^__-

G'Kyl
20th April 2004, 07:58 PM
I like to call it QuotEout. ;-)

Actually, I thought posts were easier to read better that way. But I can learn... :)

Ben

Lance
20th April 2004, 08:03 PM
QuotEout. LOL ^__^

since your comment post comes immediately after the quoted post, quoting is unnecessary since we can easily see the referents. not to mention that even though i have a short attention span i can remember what was said that i just read, so i assume that other people can too. :)

but anyway, the reason i really came back to post again was to note that Al has already replied to Mano's new time with a 1:15.9 of his own! yikes! these guys are insanely great

Mano
20th April 2004, 11:41 PM
Al indeed is insanely great; that 1:15.9 was already there before i posted my new time, but that time is using the turning back method, my 1:16.0 is without the turning back method; we have agreed to not put times on the table using that method and Al told me he will put a time without using it, i guess when he has time to do so.

Lance
21st April 2004, 12:18 AM
i've never done that. Al said that it gives an advantage, but i don't know how it works to do so. i should try it just to see what happens

Mano
21st April 2004, 12:23 AM
At the start of the race dont press gas at all, turn around without moving forward (180 degrees) using direction (dpad, or negcon twist) and airbrake to the same side then go back to the track for 10 secs or so (Al´s recommendation) then turn around again and start racing, the timer wont start until you cross the start line so as a result of this technique you get a super speedy start, the advantage is that it drastically reduces your 1st lap time; and you also begin the second lap with a good incremental speed (in talons at least)

Lance
21st April 2004, 12:51 AM
what do you mean by 'go back to the track'? it sounds as though it means turn 180 degrees again, then i'm supposed to turn again and start racing? wouldn't that mean that i've turned 540 degrees total and am now racing the wrong way down the track? ;)
do you mean to turn 180 degrees, then wait 10 seconds before turning back in the proper direction and then start racing?
and does one continue to turn in the same direction always or do i reverse back to the original position through the same arc i traversed before?

Mano
21st April 2004, 12:57 AM
Sorry, i didnt explain it correctly:

Turn around 180 degrees at the start (but dont move forward at all, meaning dont press gas), go back ON the track, as in advance in the opposite direction for about 10 seconds, as far as you can go on that time, then turn around again (180 again) and start racing on the correct direction, the times will only be counted as soon as you pass the start line; however the checkpoint time will be running all the time (not that it matters much unless you go waaaaaay back)

Btw 180+180=360, not 540 ;)

**edit** i see where this got confusing i explained it wrong used TO instead of ON thats why you thoght there were 3 180degrees turns

**edit in reply to the edit in the post below***
:D LOL

Lance
21st April 2004, 01:07 AM
i understand now. when you said go back TO the track it sounded as though one were to go 180 degrees a second time then to turn 180 degrees a third time and start racing. 180 plus 180 plus 180 equals 540. which made no sense to me. :) but them i slept for 12 and a half hours, got up at 3 pm and have been drowsy and logy all the time since. i shoulda understood. somehow during that time i made new Qirex records for Vector TR TT. i know one is supposed to be relaxed for the proper Zen/zone racing state of mind and body, but i think today i've gone too far. thanks for the clarification. that technique makes entire sense. this may also explain how it might be possible for SR mode to be faster than TT mode, since being in last place on the grid gives you an automatic run-up to the start line. although in Phantom mode, an opposing ship or two is always placed so as to make you bump into them and hence destroy your momentum by either actually bumping or maneuevering so as to avoid them, but slowing down in the process

edit: i see your edit and raise you one. how many chips you got? these cards are lookin' pretty good

JABBERJAW
21st April 2004, 02:15 AM
Hey, I deleted that time so the record is all yours :D When do you pitch off the first downhill and which turbo boosts do you use, and how do you keep your speed at 380 through the c curve? I sometimes do and sometime do not, but rarely get to 380 throught the whole turn.

Mano
21st April 2004, 02:28 AM
I eagerly await for the moment you input a new time :D

like I said before I pitch up before the hill starts going down, at the end of the flat section; also i take every speed pad (turbo boosts-blue arrows) on the course.

keeping the 380+ on the C section is a matter of 2 things (its a weakness of mine as i dont get it as often as i would like):

a) how you land on the S curve
b) how you exit the S curve and entrer the C section

a) I try to stay as close to the ground (absolutely no pitch up there) on the jump before the S curve so I need just a quick tap on the down arrow to pitch up right before landing on the speed pad....

b)..... the speed pad i also hit kinda angled + airbrake tap so I draw a clean diagonal to make a nice race line on the S curve, i enter the C section very close to the right side and try to keep it like that until the end of that section

if you do this things right its a lot easier to mantain the speed and control on those parts of the track.

Hey like i said i can send you the video! well the 14.8 is not there but theres a nice 14.9; i dont get the 380+ on c section on that race but it kinda shows how i tried to do it, just add me to your messenger contacts and i will send it to you or PM me a mail account that can receive over 8.5MB

**edit**

have been playing again a bit more, and its really hard to keep speed on the c seciton, however its possible, the most tricky part is to keep the speed past the half of the C section, so i guess staying too far right could sometimes be counterproductive, gonna try to start as far to the left as i can withouth losing the boost from the speedpad+airbrake prior to the C section and then draw a tangent line to the circle that forms the inside of the C section, and check if that lowers the time as it may help reduce the speed loss, and its definitely a shorter path. I would also have to change the way i enter the S curve for that to be effective, will be hard to hit the speedpad that is there.

Asayyeah
21st April 2004, 10:45 PM
i understand now(...)one were to go 180 degrees a second time then to turn 180 degrees a third time and start racing (...) which made no sense to me
You mean start racing or dancing? :o
it seems all those 180 ° after 180° create that slow walz you mentionned before 10 days ago( if i remember well) Lance :D :lol:

**edit** i need to edit this post to add any serious feelings to that thread , the turning back method is concerned by that... When i start go backward with one of the airbrake( single 180° :wink: )and in the same time i press a very little bit the gas (without crossing the line of course), like that i have enough time to turn back again in the middle of the tunnel and then crossing the line around 400 ( my best lap 1 with that method was 15.2)
Wanna add smthing more , all my times in the tables(2097) are without that technique.
But , you know i have like a secret goal to reach : acheiving 1.13.9 ( 15.2/14.7/14.7/14.7/14.6 ), will never put that time into those tables but only keep it for me :)

**edit (bis)** Special dedicace to Mano : you describe very perfectly Talon's, i am sure that will be a good help for most of people here.
Just a question: When will you decide to spend much time on next track : sagar? , did you before want to reach 14.7 on a lap or less than 1.16.0 for the race ?

Lance
22nd April 2004, 01:00 AM
i don't know if i would be able to resist making public an absolutely best time. i've spent so long being not-anywhere-near-the-best at anything whatsoever that it would take more strength of character than i have not to trumpet a great achievement from the castle battlements to be heard over the entire countryside.

it's an interesting choice that you would make

Lance
22nd April 2004, 02:31 AM
forgot to post this earlier [god, how many posts will he have if he remembers to post EVerything?] about the technique of running back along the track for room to make a run at the start. i finally tried it on XL TR TT Vector with Qirex. whereas my best current official racetime with a normal start is 1:08.3, with the running start, i got a 1:07.3 and that was when not driving as well as with my official time. so it makes a big difference. a higher percentage difference with a short Vector race than with a five-lap Phantom race, but would be some difference even there, though how much i don't know

JABBERJAW
22nd April 2004, 03:25 AM
I can do a 14.8, I'm just inconsistent, getting a 15.1 or a 15.2 and needing to reset the race sucks. Assayeah, the best I got on the first lap is a 15.2 as well. 1:13.9 would be awesome, but it would take some time for you to get it. I think you should give it a shot. Man I wish I could have the lap times not appear on the screen, that just messes me up.

Mano
27th April 2004, 03:55 AM
Just a question: When will you decide to spend much time on next track : sagar? , did you before want to reach 14.7 on a lap or less than 1.16.0 for the race ?

I have been VERY busy lately, but found a bit of time to play sunday and a bit today in the morning, so i gave it a go on sagarmatha as you can see in the tables; man at first my swearing must have echoed along all the mountains in sagarmatha and reached the top of mt. everest :P; but now i think im getting the hang of it, my fastest TT lap is 15.8, and my fastest TT 1st lap is 16.7; so i think i can cut a lot of my actual 1:23.0 time; just the inconsistency of just starting to play other track than Talons is in my way ;)

Asayyeah
27th April 2004, 10:47 PM
15.8 :o you ve tied one of my favorite laptime ( reached 4 years ago!), just to tell you i 've done recently a 15.9 ( done in the videotape i sent to Al but he can't read it :cry: )
So many congrats for this high score + this 1.23.0 ( beat me from 0.2 sec damn you are insane good, bud :o :) )
it would be interesting to see if you can catch my other races times from the 6 last tracks ( take your time, :D , don't be in a hurry to play :lol: :lol: )

Mano
28th April 2004, 12:31 AM
Thanks man!, i will try to do the other tracks, as soon as i can give a bit more time to Sagarmatha ;) As much as i would like to play i dont have time lately :( ;but when you like something you can figure out a bit of time before going to bed :)