PDA

View Full Version : Made a talons TT piranha phantom video

Mano
19th April 2004, 04:30 AM
Used my all in wonder card to make a mpeg video from a vhs tape i made of a 1:16.5 time on XL talons TT phantom (external view), theres a 14.9 lap there (4th) ; not my best race time, but close.

The video quality is nice enough to see clearly what is happening and at full video framerate all the time (no stutters), the file is around 8.5 mb
If anyone wants this, PM me or post your emails so i can send it to you, and if anyone can help me upload this to a server it would be even better

zargz
19th April 2004, 02:58 PM
yeah put it on a server so we can see it! 8)
i dont have 8 free megs on my yahoo :(

Mano
19th April 2004, 09:44 PM
ok guys and gals :) heres the link let me know if you have problems accessing it:

*******www5.streamload.com/Nodes/InboxDetail.asp?View=1&drid=14522357*****
enjoy

***********edit**********

nevermind that link, FoxZero is hosting the file now, thanks Fox!, here it is:

http://foxzero.bottomoftheocean.com/wipeout/tutorials/TTXLPP.mpg

Asayyeah
20th April 2004, 12:10 AM
Thanks for that hot times video!! i enjoy it a lot.
that pretty insane lap 4 was excellent

Mano
20th April 2004, 05:33 AM
thanks!, im glad you liked it, a friend of mine told me he couldnt DL the movie, if anyone else is having problems please tell me i dont know how to use that server at all so i need to figure out some stuff, any feedback helps as i plan to upload more stuff there, thanks in advance!.

lunar
20th April 2004, 10:45 PM
Hi Mano

I couldn`t see the movie, as I was asked to create an account when I clicked on your link, and this process failed. :-? I`d love to see it though. :D

Mano
20th April 2004, 11:45 PM
well i just found out that web space only lets me store files, not host them; im gonna find a server that hosts files and post it again, sorry for the inconviniences; hehe that video is already obsolete as i have improved both my lap times and race times :D, if i have time i will do a newer video

****edit****

grrrr all free hosting servers have some kind of problem specially with uploading more than 5 mb in a single file..... it seems that the only way for now if you want to see the video is for you to give me an email with an account that can receive over 8.5MB or via messenger, you can PM me your mails, i will try to send the file to all of you, and/or add you to my contacts on messenger.

Please someone help me upload this file somewhere!!!

FoxZero
21st April 2004, 04:17 PM
for those of you who cant get mano's incredible video from that site, i have uploaded it here.

http://foxzero.bottomoftheocean.com/wipeout/tutorials/TTXLPP.mpg

Mano
21st April 2004, 04:34 PM
I just met FoxZero on messenger, great guy! you have to see his work on design, its very good!

Thanks Fox for hosting the file!

Lance
21st April 2004, 05:22 PM
holy sh_t. Mano takes about the same line i do, but.. faster. more than 12 seconds faster. mostly clean. and right on every lap

Jason, thanks for hosting the video; i got it from you.

and speaking of Jason, it's about time you parked your posterior in front of a PlayStation and raced. we need you active on the NTSC XL records tables

FoxZero
21st April 2004, 05:31 PM
yea i know, i havent been very loyal.. i could go on about how much i love hyperthrust and the icaras but wipeout is wipeout and the competition is definitely heating up.. honestly havent been in the mood for playing much video games recently. i figure i might as well try to contribute to the community in the meantime :)

Lance
21st April 2004, 05:38 PM
yeah, i know, i've gone for months without playing videogames at all. but.. but... just to get you motivated, look at the XL tables where i've beaten a few of your Piranha times with a QIREX! tsk. it's getbusy time. :)
yeah, i know those times were pretty casual just to get the new tables started, but still.....

Task
21st April 2004, 07:19 PM
With respect to "help me host my file!", if you have/get yourself a P2P program (such as Kazzaa or WinMX or Morpheus) you can simply put the file in your "shared files" directory and tell people what the file name is and what software you're using.

Perhaps not wildly elegant, but anyone can do it.

Mano
21st April 2004, 07:31 PM
good advice!, but there are some problems with it, first i would have to leave the pc turned on and on my xp account a lot of time until the video gets a bit distributed, and many people use this pc, also the transfer speed would be really slow, at least for the first batch of users since they would depend on my connection and its a bit slow.

FoxZero fixed all that and hes hosting the file in the address shown some posts above ;)

lunar
1st May 2004, 08:20 PM
thanks Mano and FoxZero for getting out that awesome video.

Its quite inspiring to watch, but I can`t figure out why I just can`t go that fast. If I fly the same line and and make the same pitch changes and put in brake taps on the pads I just can`t approach that sort of speed. I don`t understand why that is really...... so for me a video of what your hands are doing at the same time would be the ultimate demonstration.

But anyway its really impressive. :D

Mano
1st May 2004, 10:31 PM
Thanks Lunar!, for a video of me controlling the negcon while playing WOXL i would need two cameras (one for my hands, another for the screen), i just have one now and i would also have to do the edition to put the two videos in sync (otherwise its useless), not to mention i would need a bit of space to set the cameras and cables.

Maybe some time in the future, but i cant assure you that, however i can help you achieve those speeds with advice (and even a bit higher is possible); where do you feel youre not getting enough speed and what do you do to get there on the speeds you get?; remember, to get those speeds you need to mantain your speed as high as you can through the whole lap, all the laps. (incremental speed)

Wiseman
3rd May 2004, 05:28 AM
Great video there, Mano! :D

Can't wait to see some more.

And if you need something to help you send your videos to everyone, try this:

http://s11.yousendit.com/default2.uplx

Works for files up to 1GB, and it's free. Only stays up for 7 days though. I've used it for some things before, and although their servers are a bit slow, it works.

lunar
3rd May 2004, 11:31 PM
don`t worry Mano I wasn`t seriously suggesting a video of your hands! though it would be the ultimate wipeout tutorial video if run in sync with the race action.

As for my TR lack of speed...... its hard to compare my race with yours as we`re on different versions, but I noticed I lose speed in the same places as you and accelerate in the same places. But I need to brake tap to reach the speeds I get, without it my laps are 17+.

My fastest PIranha phantom lap is like this:

- brake tap on the first speed pad and pitch up
- move left and take second pad. Don`t let nose come back down too soon or I bottom out up the hill.
- nose down towards the top of the hill and over the crest, then nose up to avoid bottoming out on the right turn, then hit the speed pad on the left.
- hit the next speed pad then try to reach the C without bottoming out or floating too much (I think this might be where I lose speed)
- Brake tap and very short pitch up on the double speed pad by the C.
- try to stay low over the next hill then pitch up thru the chicane so I can keep a very straight line. I don`t think the slight pitch up here costs any speed.
- take a shortest distance line through the tunnel.
- brake tap (left) on final speed pad and head for repeat of lap (with luck).

somewhere in this I`m losing more than a second. I`ve noticed also on lap 1 you build speed faster tha me (allowing for XL differences). I realise speed is cumulative, but only over a two lap cycle as far as I can tell. Any advice would be appreciated, though I`m not sure my description will have helped much!

Mano
7th May 2004, 07:50 PM
Keep in mind 2097 is a bit different than XL (specially with brake tapping), but i think i can help you a bit, even tho i have completely neglected Talons for Sagarmatha lately

Lunar - brake tap on the first speed pad and pitch up
Mano - i dont pitch up until a bit before i get to the second speed pad, i do it when the hill starts going up

L - move left and take second pad. Don`t let nose come back down too soon or I bottom out up the hill.
M - brake tap and let go of pitch up on that speed pad

L - nose down towards the top of the hill and over the crest, then nose up to avoid bottoming out on the right turn, then hit the speed pad on the left.
M - during the right corner i brake tap, even if theres no speed pad it gives you a good speed base to start your increments the rest of this part i do almost the same as you, you forgot to mention if you brake tap on that speed pad but i do.

L - hit the next speed pad then try to reach the C without bottoming out or floating too much (I think this might be where I lose speed)
M - i brake tap left on this speed pad and quickly pitch up at the same time, and auickly let go of the pitch up too, this prevents me from bottoming. i also try to keep very close to the right wall of the track as it cuts distance (i dont remember if i already did this line on the video, but for my newer times i did)

L - Brake tap and very short pitch up on the double speed pad by the C.
M - i dont pitch at all here i just brake tap

L - try to stay low over the next hill then pitch up thru the chicane so I can keep a very straight line. I don`t think the slight pitch up here costs any speed.
M - It costs you time, i dont pitch here also, just a little before landing

L - take a shortest distance line through the tunnel.
M - Ahem.. buddy you could have been a bit more exlpicit here LOL, i could also tell you i take the shortest distance ;) just kidding....but seriously i make a tangent line to the inner wall of the C section

L - brake tap (left) on final speed pad and head for repeat of lap (with luck).
M - yup, also the line here can be almost completely straight if you enter it correctly

L - somewhere in this I`m losing more than a second. I`ve noticed also on lap 1 you build speed faster tha me (allowing for XL differences). I realise speed is cumulative, but only over a two lap cycle as far as I can tell. Any advice would be appreciated, though I`m not sure my description will have helped much!

M - It helped, a lot, i could imagine all that you did, well, except on the c section; 1st lap i think is faster on XL; it happens in Sagarmatha too.

Lance
7th May 2004, 08:26 PM
sounds to me like sOmebody ;) should write a ''Piloting Tip'' for this track, and post it in the Piloting Tips section of this 2097/XL forum, yes?

Mano
7th May 2004, 08:34 PM
Surely, I am honored, i will try to do it this weekend, maybe we can correct some of my stuff also and that could lead to me playing a lot of Talons again and maybe getting faster times ;)

lunar
8th May 2004, 09:51 AM
thanks Mano: as soon as I`m free and alert enough I`ll give it a go. I think 2097 might be more "bottomy" if that word makes sense. I do scrape my underside going up the short hill after the C if I don`t pitch up slightly.

about the tunnel: :lol: :wink: I just meant that I don`t think there`s much I can do to lose or gain actual speed here, so I just take the shortest route. I was too lazy to explain.

Very interested in your route from speed pad 7 to the C. Once upon a time I used to jump the gap, but I think this method is so floaty you lose time.

But once again thanks for your advice..... more tenths knocked off and 15.9 here I come.

Mano
9th May 2004, 01:12 AM
Ok i posted a first sketch for the guide on the XL/2097 tips topic, i will correct things with time, but i think it may be helpful enough as it is now (i hope) so i posted it.

Lunar: Sorry i made some mistakes on my advice; played a little bit of Talons today to see if i remembered correctly all the stuff i did there, it figures i was mistaken, but my brain and hands corrected me :P, i already edited the post on which i did the recomendations to you; the corrections are also on the XL/2097 tips.

piranha wiper
17th June 2004, 09:27 PM
thats some serious flyin by the way, ive only just managed to download it and i must say thats piranha flyin at its best, hey thats a good signiture but theyre disabled :(

Shem
17th June 2004, 09:48 PM
:o :o :o :o :o <== this is how my face looked like after watching this video. I gotta switch to WO2097. That Pirhana is sooo freakin' fast, and the flight techique is soo God damn perfect, that I need to try this too. Great flying Mano!

piranha wiper
17th June 2004, 10:00 PM
its a fast game like, but i though you were an ag systems type of wiper?

science
17th June 2004, 11:52 PM
excellent video, excellent technique. I need to get behind the wheel...err, negcon... again some time soon.

Shem
18th June 2004, 10:23 AM
piranha wiper:
my roots are in AG systems, I flew AGsys (as Daniel Chang) all the way in Wipeout 1 (I still think there is no better ship for Wipeout 1), I got attached to this team. And tho it's not the fastest team around, I will like it, and IMO this team fits best to Wipeout racing as a whole (so why did they have to remove AGsys from WF?....). All in all there are other teams which are the ones used in a real competition, namely Icaras, Pirhana (woXL), Qirex (woXL). AG sys is just too slow for them, and I swear to my mother's life - there would be nothing better for me if AGsys was at least once the fastest craft in Wipeout.
Did I make myself clear? :wink: (Just askin', my writing teacher says I have some clarity problems in my writing. :x Wonder what he's all about....?)

Mano
19th June 2004, 12:16 AM
thanks guys!, i have played a bit yesterday fearing the fact that i havent played in a long while, but i manged to improve some parts on my laps; still havent broken 14.8 (my actual best laptime) but i think its very possible, i just need to get my consistency back and improve it from there, but i really cant play this days (extremely busy), i hope i can get some time to do so.

btw if you decide to give XL some serious time, maybe the guide i posted can help you.

piranha wiper
19th June 2004, 02:32 PM
shem:
i too like ag systems if pirana wasnt on 2097 i would would be using them, in the original i must agree with you is the ag systems daniel chang, aaah the memories

element42
21st June 2004, 11:22 AM
this video has totally inspired me to buy a negcon and 2097. just super.

:D further to this, I have just managed to get WO2097 for £1.80 and a negcon for £3 on ebay. very super indeed.

piranha wiper
21st June 2004, 11:27 AM
mano, do use a negcon for piloting

Mano
21st June 2004, 11:20 PM
Definitely!, its THE way to play XL

piranha wiper
22nd June 2004, 09:56 AM
so whats harder to use the negcon or digital and anolougue controller

G'Kyl
22nd June 2004, 12:04 PM
The neGcon is definitely the easiest and most intuitive way to control any racing game. Or at least most people seem to agree with that. Personally, I always found it impossible having to control steering, acceleration and braking with one stick or pad. I have never done that, not even once since the days of 8-bit machines. :)

Ben

piranha wiper
22nd June 2004, 02:34 PM
so would that u would have to be a better pilot to use a non negcon controller?

G'Kyl
22nd June 2004, 02:55 PM
From what I've heard and read and experienced for myself: Yes, most certainly means that. :) Some seem to get along much better with digital control, that's right, but I also believe there is a good reason most top pilots in the tables did their records while riding on a neg. ;)

piranha wiper
22nd June 2004, 03:01 PM
ive never usd a negcon ever, ive always used anologue or digital depending on what game, if it supports anoulogue im on it straight away but other wise its digital

Asche XL
7th December 2004, 02:24 AM
Can someone host the video again? I accidently deleted it.

Lance
7th December 2004, 11:25 AM
FoxZero may still have a copy of it online. hang on a sec, i've got to look for the thread.....

here's the link:
http://www.trifocus.net/~foxzero/TTXLPP.mpg

and here's the thread if you want to read it:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1601

G'Kyl
7th December 2004, 02:34 PM
Here's a working link:

http://web6.p15147871.pureserver.info/TTXLPP.mpg

Ben

Lance
7th December 2004, 02:42 PM
i should have checked first: FZ's is giving me a 404 now

G'Kyl
7th December 2004, 02:59 PM
I was wondering why you'd post it, but I thought it was for full reference as to were the clip could possibly be found. :) Anyway, whoever needs to put something online - I still got nothing else to do with my webspace except helping to host files.

Ben

Drat, I hit the 600 post mark. I think I liked Phatom Wiper better, but then who cares. It looks strange, though. ;)

Lance
7th December 2004, 07:42 PM
Rob must have changed the 'requirement'. i think it used to take 900 to make 'extreme'. i never saw any of the levels under my name except for the first one or two before i became a moderator, so i don't notice any changes

Gonaka
8th December 2004, 02:22 AM
...file not found. damn

Lance
8th December 2004, 03:08 AM
try the one G'Kyl/Ben links; it works

2SU
8th December 2004, 11:27 PM
any chance of putting up a really rubbish resolution one that I can try and download on my (don't laugh) cough**cough**28.8K**cough** connection?

Lance
9th December 2004, 01:38 AM
that should be the very same video that i already downloaded at 3 KB per second so it shouldn't give you any problem

G'Kyl
9th December 2004, 08:44 AM
any chance of putting up a really rubbish resolution one that I can try and download on my (don't laugh) cough**cough**28.8K**cough** connection?

I don't know Jack about video processing, sorry. Just give it a shot and hang in on your slow connection. ;)
Lance, from my very own subjective experience I can tell you that investing in a 56K modem is well worth the price, especially nowadays where they are no more than a few bucks

Ben.

Lance
9th December 2004, 02:02 PM
i already have a 56k modem, but for some unknown reason, the actual transfer rates, which should peak at the best of times at a bit over 5KBps, generally peaks at 3.7 while averaging 3 to 3.4. using someone else's computer, i got 5 to 5.25 using the same ISP and program version on my telephone line, but my own comp does not perform so well

G'Kyl
9th December 2004, 02:11 PM
Strange enough. I assume you are sure it's not a driver problem?

Lance
9th December 2004, 02:19 PM
it's the original modem shipped with the computer and using the original driver intended for the modem. when i let Windows check the net for a better one, it says the best one is already installed. it's a Rockwell, so this may be the problem

G'Kyl
9th December 2004, 02:41 PM
Dunno about Rockwell, but I do know that Windows may not be right when it tells you the driver were the latest. My guess is Windows only checks for those something veryfied drivers, however most recent drivers that haven't been available when WinXP was released do not fall under the veryfied category. Are there any drivers on a Rockwell page availble for your modem?

Ben

stin
9th December 2004, 03:08 PM
This is off topic so Lance what windows do you have? is it 98SE?

stevie :)

Lance
9th December 2004, 03:47 PM
MillenniumEdition

2SU
10th December 2004, 07:20 PM
I can't access that link - it keeps throwing up "Timmeh - it ain't here's at me

G'Kyl
10th December 2004, 08:47 PM
Hm, what exactely do you mean? Everyone should be able to access the file...

infoxicated
12th December 2004, 12:33 PM
Now here: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/downloads/talons_reach_phantom_tt.mpg

And can be found under "In-Game Video" on the downloads page (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/downloads.php) of the main site.

RamZes
17th December 2004, 02:00 PM
How you write down video files? I too want to write down from my computer. :roll:

2SU
23rd December 2004, 01:39 AM
Follwed your advice - but I did it at a mates house with broadband! :D That was some sweet flying! I compared the racing line on the video to mine and I know that I'm right on. I can swing that ship about the entire course without airbraking once with a digital controller. Thus I suppose I might be able to shave a good second or so off once I finally get hold of a negcon and learn to use it. :)