PDA

View Full Version : Entered the tables

G'Kyl
16th April 2004, 02:00 PM
OK, so I finally added some Talon's reach TT times to the 2097 tables. I actually thought I could add times for all tracks at once, but I found I don't have the time to do as much racing as I would like to. So, the rest of my records will have to follow later these days. I'd actually like to see some more Quirex driving in the 2097 league, so there'd be a better chance to compare times, but anyway.

Ben

(Anyone dare challenging my Venom class lap time? Gooo Piranhas!!! ;) )

Asayyeah
16th April 2004, 03:56 PM
Very,very good lap time 25.3 on venom TT, i must say it's an impressive one 'cause few days ago i spent time in TT each classes from Talon's and i was thought 25.4 was a good lap but :cry: it seems not enough actually :o
I will be very interested in seeing you in action in Rapier ( change your quirex by a fresh pirahna :) ) I ve lost my sheet of paper with all my quirex times, few years ago, but i keeped those from the other ships .
Ok i accept the challenge, i will see if i can go under yours

oups i didn't noticed that you have done that with a qirex!! jesus how do you do that ?

Lance
16th April 2004, 04:20 PM
i'm really having trouble believing that you beat Arnaud's Piranha lap time with a Qirex. how did you do it?

are you sure you didn't enter a WO3SE Classic tracks time into the 2097 tables by mistake?

G'Kyl
16th April 2004, 05:42 PM
I understand your concern, Lance, but I swear I took NO shortcuts, I have yet to play 3SE in TT (in fact, I'm still in the process of completing the game in the first place) and I have not been driving any other craft than the Quirex in 2097. I could try taking a video recording of me running TT on Venom, even though I had to figure out how this works first :) (I'm playing on a WinTV, so i would have to somehow record its input with DScaler, my preferred TV-card program (or whatever it's actually called ;) ).

Ben

I'll do another Venom Time Trial right away, just to be sure for myself, since I was nothing less but surprised seeing my time appear before Asayyeah's Piranha time.

EDIT: Well, here we go: I just did a 25.4 twice as well as 25.3, also twice. In fact, I even crossed the finish line at 1:21:0. Gotta move over to the tables... ;)

Lance
16th April 2004, 06:34 PM
and you're playing a standard PAL region gamedisk on an unmmodified PSX, PS1, or PS2 made for the PAL region standard, and not using a modchip or playing on a computer emulation?
even if you are playing a standard disk on a standard console, i would have to wonder if playing on a computer monitor affects the framerate of the game and hence the actual playing speed relative to the display and therefore also the time given to the player to react to the game and control his/her inputs

G'Kyl
16th April 2004, 07:10 PM
Actually it's very much the other way around. The TV program does not produce ANY picture if it's not properly configured - meaning it has to be set to the values the video input requires. Also, a playstation cannot be controlled over a standard A/V cable. :) That's technically as impossible as it gets, please believe me. :) Plus, DScaler automatically detects the video format (set it, in this case, to standard PAL) and does not allow to change it. Oh, and my PSone is a frightening usual one, just like my copy of 2097. I don't like modded consoles.

Hmmm, I guess the best way to wipe out your doubts would be if Asayyeah or yourself would try doing some fast laps with the Quirex on Venom in Talon's Reach.
Use two turbos in what you determine will be your attempted fastest lap, that would have to be lap two or three, naturally. Kick in the first turbo right before you cross the start/finish line and the second one after the first tight turn to the right. That should do the trick (if the rest of the lap goes well).

Ben

Lance
16th April 2004, 07:51 PM
i'm not saying that the winTV was controlling the console; i was saying that if the tv software and computer can display at a different rate than a normal tv would, then the speed you see and react to on the computer monitor could be different from a standard tv and would therefore possibly allow more time in your own realtime to react while the gametime being shown no longer bears the same relationship to realtime. to overstate the premise. :)

possibly i'm overreacting since it's a shock to see one of our three fastest pilots beaten on laptime with a slower ship than he's using. as to the technique of using 2 turbos in one timetrial lap, i already do that. my best laptime in venom TR TT is 26.1
considerably slower than yours even though my racetime is actually 2.1 seconds faster than yours. though of course our times are on different versions of the game. the versions do seem to be quite close to each other, though. i must admit that since my time is only 8 tenths of a second slower than yours that your time may indeed be entirely correct, shock or no shock. :D

update: i just did a 25.5 still with Qirex.
congratulations on your new record, Ben; i'm sorry i doubted you.

G'Kyl
16th April 2004, 08:37 PM
No problem, I fully understand how it must have felt seeing a "New Viper" rushing in with an "impossible" time. :)
Oh, and I just did some laps with the Piranha. Didn't even get CLOSE to 25.x! It's just the two turbos - on such a short track at Venom speed they are apparently able to compensate for the much slower speed of the Quirex.

Ben

Lance
16th April 2004, 09:03 PM
thanks to you for motivation, i now have new lap and race records for Qirex in XL TR Venom TT. in addition to the 25.5 lap, i now have a 1:20.0 overall racetime. wheeeeeeeeeeeee
[2.8 seconds ahead of you. nudge nudge. cmon cmon, race me. please? every Qirex racer on XL is too busy with work or school to race right now, so how about it? huh? huh? :) ]

G'Kyl
16th April 2004, 10:12 PM
I will, as soon as I can. Right now I'm about to go t bed, sorry. :) But I'll sure try some more tomorrow. I'll crush your times, be sure of that. ;-) Just how much do we have to take the difference between XL and 2097 into consideration?

Btw: I bet some good money Asayyeah could easily let our times look like those of some beginners attempting to impress someone. *g*

Good thing there's some Quirex challenge rolling now. I am more than ready to take it up. :)

Ben

Lance
16th April 2004, 10:20 PM
i don't think there's very much difference between them. at least they're close enough to make it fun.

damn, you go to bed early considering that it's friday night.

i bet you're right about Asayyeah. :)

stin
16th April 2004, 10:55 PM
I
Btw: I bet some good money Asayyeah could easily let our times look like those of some beginners attempting to impress someone. *g*

:)

Ben

:wink: :wink:

stin :lol:

G'Kyl
16th April 2004, 11:22 PM
i don't think there's very much difference between them. at least they're close enough to make it fun.

You're right. Good enough for me.

damn, you go to bed early considering that it's friday night.

Yeah well, I gotta go to work tomorrow. The money's gonna come somewhere! :)

Ben

Asayyeah
17th April 2004, 12:44 AM
G'Kyl, i must say you are brilliant :) you opened my eyes :o
Nearly 8 years on it, and never noticed that , thanks for that tip it's very useful ( the 2 turbos method). Jesus during one hour i have thought sincerely : ' :evil: ' it's not possible... but yes it's truly possible, i spent many attempts on it ( because i rarely play with qirex) but yes ive beaten my pirahna time ( 1st time it happened to me : my qirex beats my pirahna : the world is becoming mader & mader :lol: :lol:
Well , ive done 2 different lap time : the first was with a shorcut. result : 24.2 , and after i was remember you didn't use any shorcuts , so i 've done 24.8 without any shorcuts.
But i wanna thank you so much G'Kyl for another one reason , just watch my new topic, you are really concerned by this one.... :wink:

G'Kyl
17th April 2004, 08:32 AM
Why, you're most welcome Asayyeah. And congrats on finally improving your lap time!!! Too bad I'm not flying Piranha, but it would take too much an effort. Plus, playing Wipeout for me means flying Quirex. I have totally fallen in love with their vehicles when I statred playing the demo version yeeeeears ago. *g*
Also, I've got a couple questions in turn (and of course to anyone else who is reading this). :)

Firstly, did you use the turbos at the same parts of the track where I did?

Second, How do you go through the chicane before the tunnel? I have yet to figure out the best/fastest way to do that. Whether I use airbrakes or not, my times don`t seem to differ with any significance. I lose far too much speed there.

Which brings me to an idea I had: On Phantom I turn one of the disadvantages of the non-Piranha crafts into an advantage. That is, when you close in on a turn by "landing" a few meters before its entrance and then hit one of the airbrakes, the crafts tend to not neccesarily bottom out but do a little jumping. Now what I do is to use that so I can cut the right wall of the next-to-the-tunnel chicane (whereas by cutting I definitely do not mean "cheating" the race line but simply going high over the wall). That way I can fly through the chicane in a much straighter line than usual. So, doing this in Phantom class made me think: What about hitting the turbo at the up-hill chicane before the one in front of the tunnel and that way being able to do the "Phantom trick" on Venom. I wonder if enough time could be won with this method... will have to tell you this or tomorrow afternoon. :) Ooooh, and what about using the turbo after the last tight turn before the pit lane........ ;)

Hmmm - so much writing, yet so much to do... *g* Well, it's just that I think that as soon as you are able to fly clean laps with any other vehicle than the Piranha, turbo use becomes a very important issue. It's crucial to know how to make the best of the huge speed gain after hitting the weapon buitton in TT. And it gets worse: The turbo strategy to do the best lap time on most courses differs siginificantly from the one to reach the best possible race time. Oh my... :)
I really should have started playing the Wipeouts for best lap/race times much earlier than only two months ago. :(

Ben

Btw: Lance, I already did A 1:21:0 race time. Watch me getting closer and closer.... :-)

Asayyeah
17th April 2004, 01:32 PM
Firstly, did you use the turbos at the same parts of the track where I did?
For my 24.8 , exactly the same you show me, the first turbo just before the line and the 2nd after the right curve.

Second, How do you go through the chicane before the tunnel? I have yet to figure out the best/fastest way to do that.
When i cross the 'C' section i am on the right side of the track then i turn on left and up a little my nose with this little hill and i go down on the left pads , to find a correct entry into the tunnel, because i also loose speed if i can' t take the ' inside of that right curve under the tunnel' otherwise i decrease speed around 200 if i go outside the curve. what i have explained is without the shortcut.
Within it s very hard for me succed everytime on it especially in Venom, but i ve done it 3 times ( 24.6 / 24.3 and 24.2 ),so you can reach better timescore with that method .Moreover your description of the shortcut is totally correct you could even beat my rapier pirahna lap time: take the first shortcut with the first turbo before the line you will probably have enough speed to cross the first right wall and landing after the X2 pads ( on the top of the small hill ( the S turn) before the C, and then get your 2nd turbo for crossing the 2nd right wall... sincerely it could be works or be very close to my 16.8.
For phanthom class, i am sure ( but in those days who could be sure at 100% :D ), so i am quite sure that it couldn't be possible to reach under 15.0 i don't think even a 15.9 could be possible

Ooooh, and what about using the turbo after the last tight turn before the pit lane..
Don't try this point of view, maybe if you get that turbo just when you get out from the tunnel and you keep your speed enough high in a quite straight line ( the difficulty could be the right turn you have notifyed : not to loose too much speed on that corner), but why not, i will try this later

I really should have started playing the Wipeouts for best lap/race times much earlier than only two months ago. :(
But you know i am absolutely sure that Lance could think in his mind ' Damn why don't i use this Neg-Con sooner ' it'was only one month ago a charity hand gives him a Neg , and have a look on his results : quick to promise on each class !!
And don't talk about Mano who tickle Master Al in NTSC XL. :lol: Another fellow insane pilot, isn't he?

So you three young with your long teeth( :lol: just kidding :lol: ), please don't ill-treat us ( AL & me) the old daddies of Wipeout :( :(

Lance
17th April 2004, 04:45 PM
aye. sharp be the serpent's tooth and the crocodile's eye. arrh!

[sorry about that. i'm watching Muppet's Treasure Island. damn, but i love Tim Curry.]

G'Kyl
17th April 2004, 09:11 PM
I so loved the Muppet's Cristmas Carol! Oh and: 1:20:4, including a 0:24.8 on Venom TR TT (yep, I actually did my fastest ap in my fastest race so far). Just how should I beat your race time, Lance...! ;-)

Ben

Lance
17th April 2004, 09:21 PM
um... you shouldn't?

i should probably get on XL and practice just in case

Lance
17th April 2004, 09:38 PM
um... you shouldn't?

i should probably get on XL and practice just in case

yup. muppets christmas carol was great

Asayyeah
17th April 2004, 10:09 PM
1:20:4, including a 0:24.8 on Venom TR TT
Good job, dude, with or without the tunnel shortcut ?

Personnaly after beaten my TT Talon's phanthom by my SR's one, i change to Phénitia Park, so the job is done for me too , i ve taken 0.3 sec to my last best lap and 2.3 sec to the racetime in TT, hope i will have that luck in SR :)

G'Kyl
18th April 2004, 06:18 AM
Good job, dude, with or without the tunnel shortcut ?

Always without. :)

Personnaly after beaten my TT Talon's phanthom by my SR's one, i change to Phénitia Park, so the job is done for me too , i ve taken 0.3 sec to my last best lap and 2.3 sec to the racetime in TT, hope i will have that luck in SR :)

A walk in the park, eh? :) Well, I guess I'll move on too, even though I might be doing a few laps in Talon's Reach every day to reach Lance's time. And yes, I should! ;-)

Ben

Asayyeah
18th April 2004, 01:29 PM
Always without. :)
Damn, you are the duke of Qirex :wink: i must recognize you love that bloody ship & you perfectly use it, congratulations G'Kyl

Last night, i was focused only in SR from Valparaiso to Gare D'europa all classes except Phanthom Phenitia & Gare d'Europa
I have updated all my times ( race&lap) ( but it wasn't so difficult because during many years i spent time only in Phanthom class), just two insane result
1 : Phenitia SR Phanthom : i equalled my recent TT race time :o 2.08.2 :o ( my old score was 2.16. 8) )
2 : Gare d'Europa SR Rapier: ive beaten my old phanthom's laptime :-? : 29.1 in rapier versus 29.8 in phanthom

Lance
18th April 2004, 05:30 PM
Ben, you have a little bit farther to go than before last night; i lowered my record slightly to 1:19.6
no short cuts. i don't even know how to use those except one on Phenitia Park and one half-shortcut on Valparaiso

Arnaud, you continue to amaze

G'Kyl
18th April 2004, 05:43 PM
Damn, just how do you do that, Lance?! :) Even though I put much more effort into achieving a perfect lap time, it kils me that you pulled again away from me with that new race time record. :)

I've been spending some time on Sagarmartha Vector and Venom today, but will surely do some more TR Venom later. I'll keep you updated...if neccesary.... ;) Also, I am sure I can go faster than 24.8. It was a good lap, but I messed up one or two turns.

Ben

EDIT: Lance, I just checked XL Sagarmartha times. Seems like we're going to have a lot of fun comparing times in the future... :-) Too bad we're not playing the same version, I'd really like that.

Lance
18th April 2004, 05:54 PM
i guess i should try to improve my laptime now, eh?

i have some fair times on Sagarmatha. some possibly better ones on Phenitia Park. i haven't even entered times on most of Gare d-Europa. once i've put in some decent times there, i want to go back to WO3 and see if my newfound skills [neGcon] can make an improvement there

G'Kyl
18th April 2004, 07:03 PM
Well, just had a somewhat satisfying half an hour - 1:19:9 (nawww! ;) ) for race and 0:24:7 for lap time.

I guess I too will turn my attention to WO64 as soon as I'm done with Sagarmartha. I don't have the cartridge yet, but I'm anxiously waiting for it! New 2097 tracks...!!! :)

Ben

Lance
18th April 2004, 08:06 PM
congrats, it looks like i may have to put in some more work to stay ahead. only three tenths now. eep

my newest Piranha Phantom TR TT laptime: 16.7, racetime: 1:29.4

Mano
18th April 2004, 10:18 PM
my newest Piranha Phantom TR TT laptime: 16.7

Congrats!, I knew it, very soon you will be hitting 15.x
Have you tried airbrake tapping?, if not you will be soon; that technique is basic to get 15.x times, i think you can get +-15.8 tops without it (dont remember), then you will mix it up mastering the new speed with precise nose pitching and you will be getting into the lower 15´s (-15.5).

put your new times on the tables!

Lance
18th April 2004, 10:30 PM
thanks!

a group of us have been racing each other only with non-Piranha ships until infoxicated finds time to put a ''Piranha switch'' on the tables so we can register 2 records, one for Piranha and one for all other ships.

man, i don't even have time to look at the speedometer much less play with the nose angle and time brake taps precisely on the boost pads. hell, i don't even Use brakes!

Mano
18th April 2004, 10:35 PM
. hell, i don't even Use brakes!

Which means youre on the right path!, you are already mastering steering, then you will be using the airbrakes, but only to gain speed with a quick tap.

Asayyeah
18th April 2004, 11:44 PM
Go on Lance, you are now enjoying high speed & control it, congrats 16.7 is a good time without tapping method, as Mano said: quickly tap on airbrakes ( try on blue pads first)

New SR Phénitia Phanthom score : 2.10.1 ( 2.18.5 before) & 24.9 (26.4) but far from my TT racetime 2.06.5.

JABBERJAW
19th April 2004, 03:27 AM
the best I have done without tapping is 15.3, but more normally 15.5 or 15.6 would be a good lap.

HeMan
19th April 2004, 02:25 PM
How big is the difference between the original PS WO XL and the emulated one. Does a computer and an emulator really affect the times and speed of play?

Mano
19th April 2004, 03:15 PM
Having played both, (mostly Talons Reach) and as far as i can tell there are no differences in time, however could be in speed depending on what are your settings for frames per second, if its on auto detect or 59.97-60fps on epsxe or psxeven; theres no discernible difference, but any other setting than that and it will differ.

Also on Single Race, the enemies are placed the same in those emus, as they are in a Playstation, meaning a.i. works the same on both.

Why the question?, if it is to enter emulator times on the tables, then forget it, i have already asked (wanted to do that too) and i completely understand and support the negative answer given.

HeMan
19th April 2004, 06:23 PM
Yes i wanted to know if i have any advantage with the emulator. And i didn't know i can't enter them with an emulator, tnx for telling me :)

Mano
19th April 2004, 06:34 PM
No problem :), i just remembered ther is one little advange on emu: theres absoulutely no slowdown; in the playstation, sometimes when all the opponents are on screen (14 on phantom) theres some slowdown. also the clearer graphics allow for a more precise visual of the track

Lance
19th April 2004, 07:26 PM
the required conditions are stated on the records entry page:
''Please use the links below to update your times for each track - adhering to the following rules:
All Single Race times should be attained racing against 12 opponents with weapons activated.
No cheat codes should be active while attaining any record.
Times must be set on an unmodified PlayStation or PS2 which is the same region as the copy of the game. (e.g. PAL PS2 and PAL game disc.)
Anyone entering fake times will have their account deleted.
Please do not enter fake times - a lot of members put a lot of hard work into achieving their records and it would be highly unfair to displace them with inaccurate information.''

Asayyeah
19th April 2004, 08:48 PM
the whole things are inside , good job Lance :wink:

Lance
19th April 2004, 09:31 PM
i'm just quoting 'Infoxicated' :)

Asayyeah
20th April 2004, 12:05 AM
I was meaning : you are like a shepherd for the new lost sheep of this forum :D

Lance
20th April 2004, 01:12 AM
if i were in New Zealand, i'd be waitin' for 'em with shears.

hm..
what do New Zealanders dO with all that wool, anyway?

HeMan
20th April 2004, 11:21 AM
Slowdown? you mean that PS cant handle 14 opponents and it "eats" fps? :) What about PS2, it is much stronger.

Lance
20th April 2004, 07:34 PM
the PS2 has a PSX hardware set built into it, or so i have seen on the internet. this is so the games can be run exactly as though they were on a PSX. the only possible variation, as far as i know is the PS2 video output can be set to show greater resolution