PDA

View Full Version : Entered the tables

Mano
12th April 2004, 07:32 AM
Well, finally got a cheap Playstation :D so I entered my times in Xl talons reach phantom...

Man i cant get to break the SR time that i did on emu (1:19.1) tho i have made the same lap times i have made on emu, but on separate races, for example: 15.8 on 1st lap, and 15.5 as fastest lap; my problem now is that i dont have the consistency i used to have on the emu, mostly due to the fact that i feel the negcon different on the original hardware than i do on pc, and i have already changed my settings (now im using maxlock 7/ center 0/ deadzone 0) but the difference isnt much and i think in a couple of days it will be ok, also the graphics were easier to look at on emu as everything was clearer it was easier for me to draw a racing line, maybe on a bigger screen tv this inconvinience can be compensated.

However its still fun to play and it has a particular feeling playing on the actual console and with grainy graphics.

Now that i can play TT i have problems with it :P the lack of practice in this game mode makes me get times that are marginally better than my SR times.. (practice, practice, PRACTICE!)

A question: in the tables, lap time have to be my fastest lap on my race time record? or can it be the fastest lap i have made regardless of if it is on the race time i have posted?

Asayyeah
12th April 2004, 12:50 PM
ManoNice to see you have bought a ps. Great time on XL phanthom, just a quick question about that : In Peru did you have NTSC or PAL , it seems you play XL so it would be NTSC like Americans, am I wrong?

lap time have to be my fastest lap on my race time record?
I don't think so. Your lap record can be different from your race time.
That's what i do. :)

Mano
12th April 2004, 03:57 PM
Yeah we have NTSC, same as North America, also my playstation is a SCPH9001 U/C (USA/Canada), i had the choice to buy this old gray one and the small PSone (just a 5 dollar difference), from experience i know the small one overheats faster (a friend has one), so i bought the old gray one; specially if im gonna try to beat times, im gonna be playing for long periods :D.

It also has a nostalgic feeling to it since its just like the one i used to have :), im thinking about masking and spraying an XL piranha icon on top of the lid of it :P hehe

Task
12th April 2004, 05:57 PM
The PSX (old grey Playstation) is far superior to the PS1 (new white Playstation) in one very important respect: It has a slot for the head-to-head "combat cable". If you're looking for some great Wipeout, that's the way to go.

The PS1 has one thing to say for it, it's extremely cute. That's about it. Not insignificant, but not enough to make me want to have one.

Lance
12th April 2004, 06:22 PM
equalled Al's TT laptime. yowie!

fastest lap is for your very best laptime regardless of whether it was in the same race as best overall time. fairly often they will be in the same race, but even more often, not. :)

i love the old PSX. mine was 2 years old when i got it. my first game machine. they stopped making new ones about that time and just after i bought mine at a pawn shop, the price for new ones was cut to 100 dollars US. mine is still working, despite that scare a long time back when the disc drive wouldn't work anymore. my eternal thanks to Jamie Hancock for telling me about the standing-on-end technique that got it running again. there my little gray box still sits, on end, going and going and going..................................

Mano
12th April 2004, 08:03 PM
Task: phew!, i hadnt noticed that the PSone doesnt have a link cable port!!!, luckily i didnt buy that one!, anyways i had my heart set on the old grey one so i didnt look too much at the small one.

Lance: i just entered times on SR, TT not yet, and what you say about lap times... so very true. I also hold a special nostalgia with the old playstation, its the first console i bought with my own money, also sold it, bought another one and sold it again.... now i bought another one... we have a weird relationship

Also the initial problem i had with the negcon... not a problem anymore, it feels natural again :)

i was on the verge of passing even my emu record time, and on the final lap : thunk!, missile!, BOOM!, missile!, BOOM! :cry: i wish i could have seen my own face when that happened :P

Rapier Racer
12th April 2004, 08:09 PM
I have both types, i had to buy the small white ps1 because sometimes my old gray one plays up, sadly it's doing this more and more :cry:

Mano
12th April 2004, 08:20 PM
One of the advantages of living in a third world country is that there are a lot of repair shops and they are cheap, its a need since ppl here dont buy things again when they malfunction, too expensive, you cannot imagine the kind of old cars you find on the street, or the old appliances ppl have at home.

From my experience when what you say is happenning to you PS, happens, its because the lens are dirty or scratched, or it needs re-calibration (this is more probable), dont use a cd lens cleaner as they scratch the lens even more, the correct way to clean it (i have been told this i cannot say for sure) is to open up the PS take the lens out remove the covers and clean it with isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip, recalibration well its easy to do; oil the motors and adjust them, i havent done this myself, if you can find a technician that does this for cheap, it would be better; here technicians do it for about 3 dollars.

I bet it can get back to normal operation, also if you want, you can exchange the lenses from your new psone to the old ps, i have seen this and works perfectly.

Lance
12th April 2004, 10:43 PM
Mano: oops. my mistake. still a great time.
i generally hate playing SR on XL because the ships you already passed lie in wait for you just so they can spoil your time by blasting you on the last lap. bastards!!

Rapier Racer
13th April 2004, 01:52 AM
Mmm you sure seem to know a lot Mano, thanks for the info, it's not just the lense though, it's also that bit in the middle that spins around it's wearing away but if you reckon that i could transfer the lense then im sure the middle bit can be done to in the same way but is it really worth the effort? The small PS1 works fine and what do you mean overheats? i have played on mine for many an hour and it doesen't appear to have ever overheated

Lance
13th April 2004, 02:23 AM
perhaps that's because you live in a country that's rather chillier than the ones we live in?

actually i've no idea. since i've never had a PS1. ;)

Mano
13th April 2004, 04:36 AM
Lance is right it might be that reason too since Lima is pretty hot in summer (very close to ecuador)

I really dont know too much about hardware, its just that i tend to look around when someone is working on my things and i ask a lot, so far no one has kicked me from their repair shops lol, tho they have given me the what do you want look.

About recommending the swaps... well its a matter of priorities, if you can play equally on both then it doesnt matter and for safety i wouldnt change it, if like Task warned me you want to play linking consoles then it might be worth it, depends on you.

When it overheats it starts stuttering and skipping.. or thats the bull my friend fed me that time we were playing Tekken, but the psone was playing for a LONG period of time, when i got there to play, my friend was already playing it for a long while.

Also there are some people that rent consoles in a room, kinda like internet cafes, but for videogames, and well the setups are pretty poor, just a room, tvs and consoles, a bunch of stools or chairs, oh and a snacks counter; people that have this kind of business prefer the grey playstations as they too say the smaller ones overheat faster, also people steal them easier :P (the joys of a third world country :P); they literally bolt the consoles to the furniture, with two pieces of metal that attach to it.

Btw updated my times and improved on talons reach in general, now i can do a 15.6 sec 1st lap, and a fastest lap of 15.3, but the 15.3 i have only done once :P, on my actual race time record i havent made any of those lap times.

*** edit***

. my eternal thanks to Jamie Hancock for telling me about the standing-on-end technique that got it running again. there my little gray box still sits, on end, going and going and going..................................

here is some info that might interest you Lance, just to know what might have happened with your PS:

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/ps2repair/

I just read some info on playstation overheating and it seems the models more prone to overheat are the first ones (scph1001) , so the smaller ones might not be overheaters at all, maybe my friend played too much or left the console on for a very long period of time (more than recommended), and the smaller form factor of the PSones have led the console renters to SUPPOSE they overheated more... oh well

Asayyeah
13th April 2004, 12:19 PM
Btw updated my times and improved on talons reach in general, now i can do a 15.6 sec 1st lap, and a fastest lap of 15.3, but the 15.3 i have only done once :P, on my actual race time record i havent made any of those lap times.
Impressive, you nibble at tenth by tenth 8) Next target get under 15.0 before end of April!! :wink:
Btw thanks for NTSC information.

Lance when you say you equall Al's TT time, i ve checked XL tables but what race & class you mean?

Actually i have deserted my flat , to record on my mum's VCR the tape for Al ( jesus! i have thought it was easier to do, trying to perform good races time for Master Al: ive made a good 14.7 in TT & 1.16.1 (2097 pal Talon's)without turning back method, i hope Al will be happy with that)
But i have a question: ive connected in the right order all the cables ( VCT/PS/TV) : but when i record a race the result on the tape is in black&white, anyone knows why?

JABBERJAW
13th April 2004, 12:30 PM
go from the ps to the vcr to the tv.

Asayyeah
13th April 2004, 12:48 PM
That's i have done but the result is Black&white ( when i race it's in color but when i saw my race again it's B&W) , i ve asked a friend about this, and he told me it happended to him when in the past he wanted to record another tape by this technique.
He told me it's probably due to cables ( not an S-video. mine: the normal old one) or other settings to do on the VCR.
The quality is perfect from the recording but it's in B&W

Mano
13th April 2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks Asayyeah, i think it is possible to lower the 15.3 on Talons SR.

about the b&w image maybe its a setting in your vcr, check your vcr functions and see if theres something you can change, as far as i know whatever cable youre using can record on color (s-video, composite, rf...)

Lance
13th April 2004, 01:16 PM
Arnaud, i was talking about Mano's equalling Al's time.
hehe. me equal Al's time? it is to laugh. ha
ha
ha
ah... fooey
sigh
;)
:D

and anyway, i'm only racing in the Non-Piranha League on XL

Mano
13th April 2004, 06:43 PM
...you nibble at tenth by tenth 8) Next target get under 15.0 before end of April!! :wink:
Btw thanks for NTSC information.

You just made me remember the movie "Any Given Sunday", where Tony D'Amato (Al Pacino) coached a football team , and he made the talk to the players about how football and life was a game of inches, and i quote him:

-------------------------------------
Tony D'Amato: "You find out life's this game of inches, so is football. Because in either game - life or football - the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half a step too late or too early and you don't quite make it. One half second too slow, too fast and you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break of the game, every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when add up all those inches, that's gonna make the ****ing difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!"
------------------------------------

guys, if this doesnt motivate you then you might want to check your pulse...

I dont watch football (i prefer soccer as a sport, which in turn i think is the one that should be called football and the other one, hmm, rugby2?)

In our case its a game of tenths or hundredths (sp?) of a second ;)

JABBERJAW
14th April 2004, 12:14 AM
I thinik 14.9 is quite possible on xl, maybe 14.8, but not as fast as 14.7 on 2097.

zargz
14th April 2004, 05:55 PM
The PSX (old grey Playstation) is far superior to the PS1 (new white Playstation) in one very important respect: It has a slot for the head-to-head "combat cable". or as we say in €urope link-cable 8)

The PS1 has one thing to say for it, it's extremely cute. That's about it. Not insignificant, but not enough to make me want to have one. it's also ezr 2take with u 2 a friend if u r NOT gon play wo link mode! :wink:

Asayyeah
14th April 2004, 07:07 PM
i prefer soccer as a sport, which in turn i think is the one that should be called football and the other one, hmm, rugby2 :D
I agree with you.
we really can compare rugby to american football.

i d rather prefer a quiet moment, in the middle of the night, playing Wipeout & listening trance music :P

maybe 14.8, but not as fast as 14.7 on 2097
14.7 on 2097 as we have already done but maybe we can down this time to 14.6, into the videotape i will send you tomorrow you can see one of my lap with 14.7, but, at the beginning of that lap i loose speed ( 20 kph less) so 14.6 is acheivable ( and maybe one day in the future 14.5 the probably ultimate time on Talon's reach Pal )

As you have red above i have finished my tape for Al but only 50 min... this afternoon when i was racing Phenitia Park , suddenly my parent's Tv crashed :cry: :evil: :cry:
Sorry for this AL, hope you will at least enjoy the 50 min
I will post that the day of your birthday (15th) i mean the 15th of april not for your 15th birthday.... :lol: