PDA

View Full Version : Van-Uber

Rapier Racer
1st April 2004, 08:08 PM
Im a bit dismayed, does anyone here like Van-Uber or is it like the official site where everyone attempts to make fun of this great team :evil:

xEik
1st April 2004, 09:40 PM
You'll see that in this forum we avoid extreme team praising or bashing. Specially if people just vent their preferences giving no reasons and, what's worse, being unreasonable.

Were this thread to follow this path it would no doubt meet the lock. Keep it sensible.

Lance
2nd April 2004, 12:03 AM
not many people here like Fusion very much. after the original excitement and discussion before the game was released, the actual game turned out to be a disappointment to most of the hardcore fans. the main feature that is liked is zone mode, and the graphics come in for praise, but that's about it. excitement and discussion died off pretty quickly here after the last region saw the game's release. we usually talk about and play 2097/XL and WO3/WO3SE more than anything else. so the subject of van Uber pretty much doesn't come up. you'll find a lot more adults and gamers with long experience on this board than on the official Fusion board you came here from, and they tend to be over the ''what's your fave team/ship/weapon?'' and ''the person above'' topics, so a good deal of the conversation revolves around driving techniques, hardware, general game and game music talk, and um... etc.

Rapier Racer
2nd April 2004, 07:25 AM
fair enough i prefere 2097 anyway so i'll just make my way over there

Piranha Advancements
2nd April 2004, 04:37 PM
Going back to that site..I almost forgot how long it takes for a posted message to be seen.And I'm still a junior member!

Lance
2nd April 2004, 07:17 PM
Herr van Uber: yeah, i've been playing WO2 a bunch lately, it's a great game. and there are no respawns in stupid places. and it keeps good records of the important stuff. and we've got records tables on WipeoutZone where we can endanger our egos! [and just generally have fun]

PA: i'm still a junior member at the official Fusion site, too. joined early, but became inactive after a short period. there just wasn't anything there for me

Piranha Advancements
3rd April 2004, 04:25 PM
Hyuk hyuk.At first I was rather hyped on that site but then,it became...for lack of better word..asinine.I remembered when we signed up[ and chose our icons,I chose Piranha of course but it would come up as Xios.What the?And I just checked and still is!! And then,there were the "wars" was it..? Between this and that board?

Damn..now I feel like going to that site.And lurk...and I just did and I don't want to go back again.

Lance
3rd April 2004, 05:59 PM
mm.. the only 'war' i remember was when a few people at the hoverrace forums tried denial-of-service attacks on both the official Fusion board and WipeoutZone. they succeeded in closing the Fusion board for a considerable time, but got nowhere here

Rapier Racer
7th April 2004, 03:41 PM
whats a denial of service attack, and how do you add your records to those tables?

Task
7th April 2004, 05:24 PM
Bringing knowledge to the knowledgeless....

DoS attacks: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci213591,00.html

Records:
1) Go to the "main page". (WipeoutZone.com)
2) Go to the "log in" button.
3) Add your records.

Rapier Racer
8th April 2004, 09:45 PM
it automatically logs me in im not that stupid, but then i click on the 2097 tab on the wipeout records section the tables are displayed, then what?

Lance
8th April 2004, 11:00 PM
when you log in, the first thing you should see is a page that says ''welcome back, Ricardo Van-Uber [if you're using that nick on the main page as well as in the forums]. and below in the main body of the page there will be six sections, two wide by three high that each have two text fields in them. go to the section for the game version you want to update, select which mode, Time Trial or Single Race, click the trackname text box to the left, and click on the track you want to update the records for, then click the button to the right of the text box. a new page is displayed showing your records [only yours, and for that track and race mode alone]. then you can modify the data in the text boxes. when you're done, click the ''Save Records'' button below the entry boxes. the records will then be updated.

they can only be altered on that special page, not on the overall records pages that show everyone's records. i may have gone into excessive and excruciating detail, but i wanted to make sure that you have a way to know if you're seeing what you should be seeing.

Asayyeah
9th April 2004, 12:08 AM
Quick question to you, Lance about the tables : in the case of 2 times are equall, who will be first and why ? ( the first who enter the time ? alphabetical consideration or something else?)

Lance
9th April 2004, 12:25 AM
there seems to be no recognisable pattern. i've been involved in several ties, and sometimes it's the first one who did the time, but sometimes it's the second. i find that more often than not, i am listed second even if i did the time first. a wonderful incentive to beat the time!
also it seems to have nothing to do with the alphabetical order of the names

Asayyeah
9th April 2004, 01:12 AM
i am listed second even if i did the time first. a wonderful incentive to beat the time!
Thx for that, it has happened to me three times ( 3 times second :cry: ) i agree with your awesome incentive to beat the time's vision. :P

noah
9th April 2004, 01:14 AM
My guess is that this seemingly random pattern is due to a MySQL quirk: when you INSERT data into a table (make a new entry in the table), it usually puts it at the end, but it also might put it anywhere else in the table (haven't ever looked up why this happens, but it's probably written somewhere at mysql.com).

My (second) guess is that infox's code grabs all of the data from the table and has it ordered like this: 1st, minutes; 2nd, seconds; 3rd, parts of a second. If he added a 4th sub-order, by name or login or whatever, then there would be consistency, but since (I hypothesize) it does not exist now, it is left up to MySQL to determine what the order should be for times that are exactly the same, and MySQL will do that according to where the entry is in the table - and as I said in my previous paragraph, that is fairly random.

For non-coders who don't want to take the time to figure out what I'm talking about, it boils down to this: ties are often treated randomly. Which is roughly what Lance said :)

Rapier Racer
9th April 2004, 03:58 AM
Thanks very much for all the info Lance, im such an idiot as it would appear that I only registered for the forums and not for the record tables, oops :oops:

Looks like it's time to go retrive me old records (huh, after all this hassle I've caused you i bet my times aren't even in the top ten) :cry:

lunar
9th April 2004, 08:37 AM
Confession: I have been tempted to tinkier with re-submitting my time in the case of ties, to see if I can persuade the database to put me higher. But I would never do this. Though I admit I was tempted. It would be a childish and petty thing to do. :wink:

Lance
9th April 2004, 03:59 PM
Stephen, on many of the tracks in the 2097 tables there are less than ten competitors, so you are pretty much guaranteed some top ten spots. in the WO3 PAL tables, though, you may have to work for it.

lunar: lol
who knows? it might work. if we didn't have competitive natures, we wouldn't even be posting times, so naturally such a technique would come to mind

Rapier Racer
9th April 2004, 04:16 PM
You know, after going away and playing previous wipeouts (3 in particular) then playong fusion I can see why many people don't like it and i think I'm starting to go down that path. For some odd reason when ever I play wip3out and the song xpander, shasha is played it brings back memories......... makes me feel a bit sad. It's just a shame that Psygnosis went bust as they also produced another of my favourite games Rollcage stage 2, anyone played it? Does anyone know how well or bad the rollcage games did in the market place? Were they partly responsible for the downfall of Psygnosis?

Lance
9th April 2004, 04:25 PM
this has been covered in detail in another thread, but briefly it goes like this: Sony bought Psygnosis in 1993, even before the PSX came on the market. the company continued to produce games as before, but eventually Sony dropped the name. the main studio used by Psygnosis is now called Sony Studio Liverpool, the producer of WipeoutFusion

Rapier Racer
11th April 2004, 08:54 PM
so your telling me it's the same team of developers, how can it be, how could they make the first three wipeouts and then make such a mess of fusion?

Lance
11th April 2004, 09:25 PM
i'm not saying that it's the same team. the original designers went elsewhere. Nick started his own company, Curly Monsters, which made N-Gen Racing and Quantum Redshift. Jim went into the movie graphics industry. so there are only a few of the original team still at the studio. and Liverpool studio did not design WO3; that was done at the Leeds studio, which has been closed by Sony.

Fusion is different from the earlier games because, in my opinion, there was a decision to give it a fresh look to distinguish it from earlier ones so that there would be some reason for fans to buy yet another installment of the series. i think also that this included adopting a different style of play or advancement, more like those found in some other popular games, and trying to appeal more to people who like to unlock things or upgrade, instead of the hardcore racing for racing's sake people

Asayyeah
11th April 2004, 10:31 PM
Lance,How do you feel that: there were many press releases about the soon coming of fusion on ps2, many fans were waiting for that, but finally 2 years of delay, results? : too many players had been fed up with waiting in vain. ( very bad world sales) if the original designers & Sony had been working together in one hand( without separating eachother), i am sure that they won't have been any delay for this past fusion, and it could have been an extraordinary game without any bug ( due to certainly a short time of testing it) although it's a very good game too ( zone is awesome 8) )

Lance
11th April 2004, 11:57 PM
as far as i know, the original designers were gone long before work on Fusion started; there was no possibility that they would have been on it. the delay had more to do with the whole game structure having to be rewritten to a new machine with different chips, and which is a difficult machine to write code for, so it isn't surprising that there was a lot of delay. i think dissatisfaction with Fusion comes more from bugs and loss of record-keeping abilities and loss of the original handling feel than it does from the delay.

[lighting storm coming. i've got to switch off the computer soon]