View Full Version : upside-downo-vision

yuusen
30th March 2004, 08:47 PM

the game : wipeout 3 special edition
the mode : time trial
the class : rapier
the track : porto kora
the ship : any

okay, lets make things a little interesting.

the pilot to get the fastest race time while playing upside-down wins. no turning your tvs over for this one, its hardcore hangin-off-the-edge-of-the-sofa time!

in accordance with the wipeoutzone arena guidelines, and to not exclude any individual that may not own a sofa, armchairs and other backed furniture is allowed. pilots may also ask a friend to hold them upside-down but any injuries incurred are the responsibility of the pilot and/or supporting pilot. thankyou.

please post your times below _

¥

Task
31st March 2004, 02:55 AM
You sir, are a crazy, crazy man.
Where did you get _this_ idea from? How much of what were you smoking? 8 )

Lance
31st March 2004, 03:28 AM
i do not live in PAL land, but if i did i would be very tempted by your challenge, despite my 61 year-old [minus a week or so] blood vessels. a unique contest! an inspiration. i do believe that i am going to have to devise some tempting delicious challenge to get the NTSC faithful upon their collective posteriors and racing once again. i cannot afford prizes that cost actual money, but surely there is something..
hmmm......

yuusen
31st March 2004, 08:04 PM

thank you for your praise my friends.

lance, you yourself are an inspiration, i hope i still have reactions as fast as yours when i am 61 (please announce your birthday by the way).
--
i came up with the idea when playing phantom class and wanting more of a challenge yet feeling left out in the cold by the two extra proto tracks.

the thread about unused graphics on the wipEout disc also helped, more specifically the graphic for the 'negative controls' weapon. i took that formula and proceeded to emulate and expand on it.
--
a wasnt smoking anything (and havent in a long while) but i was under the influence of a little guarana (http://goguarana.com) (thats me behind the bar, in my old job, three years ago).

¥

Lance
31st March 2004, 09:18 PM
so you're saying that we should be drinking guarana extract instead of red bull, mountain dew, jolt cola, and other such weak and wimpy so-called ''stimulants''? i think i'll stick with tea, usually both black and Sri Lankan.

reactions? it's easy to be in the top ten when there's only three people playing the game. ;)
actually i'm amazed and thankful that i can play the game at all, and even to be moderately good at it. thanks for compliment.
countdown is to April 6

are you still in Brighton? that's where Jamie lives, last i heard

Shem
31st March 2004, 10:04 PM
hey, i did that plenty of times! (meaning playing games upside down) especially when i was bored with a game. maybe that's why ppl think there's something wrong with my head, but it's just blood flooded, that's all :)

yuusen
1st April 2004, 07:27 PM

are you still in Brighton? that's where Jamie lives, last i heard
--
no i moved back to wales about 6 months ago so i could save some money up. imho brighton is a beautiful place to live but damned too expensive. funny you should ask though, as i am going to a party here in the hills thats being thrown by the guy i moved down to brighton with. he and a few brighton djs are playing so i shall be expecting a rather fun night out.

( i take guarana occasionally and do highly recommend it if you plan to be busy for a full day. i dont however, recommend it for long periods of playing video games as the combination of the guarana-enhanced adrenal system and up-down-up-down excitment factor of video games can make you a bit loopy, in the literal sense of the word )

i do plan to move to brighton again but only when i have had enough experience in web design to get a job in that industry. that way i can afford to get my own place there and still save money for the future.
--
which also reminds me, infox : i havent forgotten about my offer, ive just been struggling with a terribly lazy streak. i simply need to tweak and validate and the first of the pack is yours.
--
shem : you up for the challenge then?

¥

Lance
1st April 2004, 07:33 PM
note to self: read location data on left side of screen

yuusen
1st April 2004, 07:35 PM

lol

¥

( i cant believe i formatted an 'lol' ! )

gucci_little_piggy
8th April 2004, 09:02 PM
i am so doing that.

faB
5th June 2004, 11:35 PM
mind, you could also turn the TV upside down ^ ^

Lance
6th June 2004, 12:36 AM
oh, no. none of that! :) yuu [ex u]sen said: ''no turning your tvs over for this one,''. gotta make it difficult

yuusen
6th June 2004, 11:08 AM

yes, tv's must be upside-up for this challenege.

i still havent properly attempted it yet but had a quick spin about a week ago. boy its fun!

¥

piranha wiper
24th June 2004, 12:15 PM
is ther any diference between turning over the tv and actualy being upside down yourself?

yuusen said

yes, tv's must be upside-up for this challenege.
hey, havent you changed your mind, i though they allowed to be upside down?!? :D

Lance
24th June 2004, 03:02 PM
tv upside-up, pilot upside-down. that's what he originally said, and he has stuck with it

gucci_little_piggy
12th July 2004, 10:43 PM
so ummm... is anyone gonna post times and stuff?

Set
13th July 2004, 05:57 AM
Although I'm not eligible (don't have W3OSE), I attempted this feat.

And I can't even finish the course.

The checkpoint counter goes down to zero before I can finish, hitting so many walls, I was! But I must say, trying to climb in and out of my chair upside-down made the attempt very much worth it, and I'm obliged to consider the task of doing so the real challenge. :D
Much due praise for quite a unique idea, yuusen.

yuusen
18th July 2004, 12:16 AM

so ummm... is anyone gonna post times and stuff?

soon bruv, soon. theres no deadline, i just want to get people playing. maybe if i post some myself, people will follow the challenge up, just gotta wait for my neck to heal.

¥

gucci_little_piggy
18th July 2004, 08:33 PM
ah cool. i think i should try my hand at it soon.

Thruster2097
19th August 2004, 10:47 PM
This sounds too good to miss.
"the anti-gravity a-g challenge"

Do I get bonus points If I pass out due to blood rush? :lol:

piranha wiper
20th August 2004, 08:35 AM
:lol: most likely you get points deducted for passing out, or it could be a new rule, pass out for mega points, wish i could pull of this little matrix wipeout playing not only to get out of work due to my brain flooding with blood and it pops and stuff, i dont have a soft chair to do it on (made of wood that has nothing on it) well good luck to those who can and/or practising this technique, happy brain popping :D :lol: er upside-down-o-vision :wink:

G'Kyl
20th August 2004, 09:42 AM
I don't think the points-for-passing-out idea is a good one. Otherwise I am gonna claim I did a 0:09.4 on my record lap while I was dream.... passed out.

Ben

;-)

piranha wiper
20th August 2004, 01:37 PM
oww my back :cry: i tried to do this even though, aswell as set, do not have the 'grail' but still tried it on 2097 on valpariso(best track imo), i was laughing too much to concentrate it turned into wacky racing style, tell you all what sometimes works, changing the controller so your right hand does the steering instead of left but a side affect is an inproper use of weapons and airbrakes some people may class this as cheating but also adds a different aproach, now my hearing is back to normal, time for some loud music :D

yuusen
23rd August 2004, 08:59 PM

changing the controller so your right hand does the steering instead of left but a side affect is an inproper use of weapons and airbrakes some people may class this as cheating but also adds a different aproach

no, i wouldnt personally class this as cheating. its a unique idea that i hadnt even considered when posting the challenge. whatever technique gets you your fastest time. :)

¥

piranha wiper
24th August 2004, 12:13 AM
oh sweet, i think i'll try to do it downstairs wher the soft chairs are placed ah cushony softness, so any way it pretty hard i did it on valpa and didnt make across the finish in time, and im also out of practice :wink:

Dimension
18th September 2004, 11:53 AM
Ehm, I don't have special edition but does normal PAl W3O class? :)

phase 2
26th April 2005, 08:38 PM
This is a great idea don't have special edition so can't do the challenge but just fore the hell of it I will try with other w.o.'s I call this (Bart Simpson vision.) I wonder if this helps fore playing wipe out 1 link up seeing that thier is a weapon in two player mode that
reverses the controles on impact. would be nice to find out but I have never linked though.