PDA

View Full Version : what would you rather be?

yuusen
21st March 2004, 06:31 PM

okay this post will outdate itself soon as the front page polls over at slashdot are changed regularly.

as soon as it disappears from the front page i shall seek out the static archive and fix the following link.

until then, hop on over and tae a look at the poll there. there are some interesting comments.

http://slashdot.org
--
oh and let us know what you chose if you took the poll.

¥

Roger
21st March 2004, 07:11 PM
OK, I checked the poll out. It took me about 30 seconds for me to make my choice.

My take on the alternatives:

Rich - Being "not poor" is quite enough for me.
Famous - Being in the top 10 on (some of) the Wip3out tables is all the fame I need!
Powerful - Don't want to boss people around, don't want to be bossed around.
Beautiful - "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..."
Skilled - my choice! :) The one thing I'd like is to be really good at something, so I could be of some use to "the world".
Intelligent - I prefer wisdom over intellligence.
Young - Life is a one way street. It's no use longing back to days long gone.
Liked - I guess we all strive for acceptance. All of the alternatives above can be seen as means to become popular. (edit: my desire to be skilled is a wish for me to be accepted by myself! Very deep stuff this, ho-hum)

And that concludes this edition of Roger's philosophical ramblings :wink:

yuusen
21st March 2004, 07:17 PM

skilled was my choice too, and for the same reasons bar a letter or two.
i chose skilled because i felt it to be a means to gaining all of the other properties if i wanted it to be. if not then at least, like you said, i would be of some use. i believe skill is an excellent means to exploring the depths of our existence.
-
it'll be very interesting to see what the population of W3ZF have to say about their own choices.

¥

yuusen
21st March 2004, 07:24 PM

(edit: my desire to be skilled is a wish for me to be accepted by myself! Very deep stuff this, ho-hum)
-
i believe this was the result of the work of ochams razor. [sp?]
-
if i were to reverse analyse my own reasons for choosing skill over power, money, beauty, intellect, popularity, youth, fame and acceptance then the result would be to be seen as a good person in the eyes of others. power, money and fame all have obviously dark connotations to me and beauty and youth seemed too superficial in my eyes. therefore what i had left was a toss up between intellect and skill. now i know you can have a lot of intellect and not much common sense and where will that get you if you desire to be the best you can be? through this process of elimination i ended up with skilled. (edit : i just realised i hadnt eliminated the 'liked' option, which is acceptance. based on my previous conclusion i believe that the answer i really wanted to choose was that one, and not 'skilled'. hmm, interesting stuff this.)
-
there you have it, the ochams razor breakdown of a 7 second thought process followed by a flex of the index finger, *click*.

¥

Shem
21st March 2004, 07:33 PM
i chose "skilled", 'couse everything else is a consequence of being skilled (being rich, and all the rest). lol - i was thinking about my producing skillz choosing this one..

yuusen
21st March 2004, 07:34 PM

i found a nice definition of occam's razor:

http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/OCCAMRAZ.html

after reading this i am not sure if it is the correct label to place on the type of mental process i went through to reach my conclusion.

¥

Piranha Advancements
22nd March 2004, 03:53 PM
Oh my,seems I belong to the minority group.

The pretty boys,baybee!

infoxicated
23rd March 2004, 09:55 AM
I chose rich.

To quote Billy Connolly : "Don't feel sorry for me - I'm ****ing loaded. Rich beats good looking every time!"

:)

Lance
23rd March 2004, 03:39 PM
it may be that ''rich'' is the choice you make after you've already got ''wise''.

but i'm not really sure about this as i' ve never been either one.

billy connolly is one of the funniest and best comedians there is

DaMiGi63
30th March 2004, 05:19 AM
I took the poll and it took me only 15 seconds to make my choice,"skilled"because everything else follows,intelligent,fame,being rich,liked,powerful,but since I'm not young really I guess thats out :D