PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

Confusion
24th February 2002, 12:57 PM
Okay guys... we know how we all hate cheating on the Fusion league boards so I want to know your opinions on this.

On Florian Height 3 during a league race i managed to beat my own lap time by a whole second thanks mainly to a speed up power up and a penetrator superweapon (I got 35.02 seconds) . The thing is I used the penetrator weapon to on the first fan jump... which meant I zoomed over to the other side. skipping that big long bend (which shaved off a huge amount of time).

There was no respawning as i managed to land on the other side just before the second jump unscathed (though I hit the wall at a crazy angle).

I just want to know whether I should use this time or not. I sill have my original save so if you guys think it's a cheaters time, I can always reload the old save and discard this time.

I really need an answer for this.

Confusion
24th February 2002, 01:07 PM
Just tried to reload my previous save file and it keeps on showing the 35 second lap time! I don't like it one bit. What if it's a cheat time? I've totally ruined the chance of trying to beat it.

Damned bug... first time a bug has pissed me off. :mad:

As Heaven Is Wide
24th February 2002, 01:14 PM
This is a hard one to answer but i dont consiser it a cheat just good timing (and maybe a bit of luck). ive done similar things (in fact i just got a 35.14 time due to skillfull use of a turbo). besides it may be the shortcut they were hinting at on the official website.

Confusion
24th February 2002, 01:17 PM
So should I put it up on the league boards? I don't want to be labelled a cheater.

Confusion
24th February 2002, 01:18 PM
Oh yeah and congrats on that blistering time. :smile:

As Heaven Is Wide
24th February 2002, 01:21 PM
I would (i might put my time on there,) cos there was no respawn i dont think its a cheat (personally) but then you might wanna wait for some other opinions. in case ur wondering, my use of the turbo (penetrator) was on the last big jump which made me jump right up to the finish line. i doubt ud call that cheating so whay call yours cheating. its just skill really.

Confusion
24th February 2002, 01:26 PM
I actually think that the use of the penetrator on that first jump really is the shortcut because I did it again and managed another 35 second time (though this time I over shot it and respawned before the second jump).

Well seeing as you are gonna put the time up I might as well do so too.

As Heaven Is Wide
24th February 2002, 01:30 PM
I said might (im not too sure either), id wait for more replies (just in case).

P.S oops i just realised i did say would first. D'oh!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: As Heaven Is Wide on 2002-02-24 14:34 ]</font>

Confusion
24th February 2002, 01:35 PM
Oh bollocks. I only gone and done it already... although being totally honest it doesn't improve my position in the league anyway. Actually... I can always restart the game and do a lap time with the default settings.

As Heaven Is Wide
24th February 2002, 01:37 PM
Soz, nvm it seems ok anyway (i think it is the shortcut come to think of it)

Confusion
24th February 2002, 01:39 PM
Double bollocks. It wont accept a slower time.

PS I'm posting far too much... 70+ posts in less than a week?

As Heaven Is Wide
24th February 2002, 01:48 PM
Yeah its a pity you cant have the option to take away one of your times. i reckon it could solve a lot of the cheating problems on the leagues.

P.S Flippin 'eck that is a lot of posts.

Lance
24th February 2002, 03:04 PM
confusion, you should use edits more. :smile:

also, if you get into actual conversations like this, you can use the private messages option up there ^ in the links above this part where the posts are displayed.

also, don't forget that the more posts there are the longer it takes to generate a page, because the code has to do an extra set of reference lookups for the person posting for each message shown. when you did 2 posts within a second of one another, it doubled the number of things the code has to do, compared to what would have been necessary if you had used edit to add the comment to your previous post.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lance on 2002-02-24 16:11 ]</font>

JABBERJAW
24th February 2002, 10:14 PM
Using the fan to get better times is not a cheat time. falling off the track and getting put 10 seconds ahead is. the fans were put there for a reason.

infoxicated
24th February 2002, 11:33 PM
To clarify what Lance indicated above...

It's partly true that in certain cases it is better to use the edit button than to post another post. However, the database time impact is minimal (we have a very fast set up here) - the only noticeable impact would be the download time at your end and the time taken for your browser to render another row of a table.

I'd say the only real concern is the download time, as this site has no nested tables - and that's what slows down the rendering process of the browser.

It's best to keep your posts from wandering over several additions, since we don't yet have a topic field for each post for off topic posts.

At the end of the day, it's more of an etiquette thing - help keep the board tidy and it'll be more useful to you in six months time when you want to go back and read a topic. :smile:

Lance
25th February 2002, 12:59 AM
clarify is a word virtually steeped in excellent etiquette. :wink: