PDA

View Full Version : An Experiment

Shem
3rd March 2004, 09:58 PM
Following the recent forum topics, and Lance's response to these (well, I mean the "Marriage" topic, and Lance's will to delete this one due to not-stick-to-the-WZ-Forum-philosophy) I came up with a compromise.

Let's set it straight - ALCOHOL + WIPEOUT!
I'm planning to do a research on this one. Simply, what's the influence of drinking some beer on your Wipeout piloting abilities? Furthermore, what's your behaviour after a few?
Finally - what's you limit (in other words, when do you start to scratch the floor with your teeth)? Ok, I wouldn't act like a scientist if I hadn't invented any rules for this experiment, so here they are :
- the track "PORTO KORA-PHANTOM-TT-ASSEGAI"
- Default time of a lap - 23 sec. [

Now the most important :
1) I expext the volunteers to Fly the first lap being completley sober. MESURE THE TIME AFTER THE LAP!
2)Drink 2 beers, wait 15 min, then race the same track again, MESURE THE TIME AFTER A LAP!
3) Drink 2 more beers, wait some more, race, mesure.
4) Having a buzz, Drink 2 more beers, and do the same.
5) If you're still holding on, here's a killah - A Glass Of Vodka. Mesure the time after finished lap.

Of course, having your friends by while the experiment is allowed, you can try other games as well (if you don't drop dead :wink: ). However, wipeout is most welcome.

(Now Let's hope, Lance doesn't delete this topic :wink: )
Any Volunteers? :)

Lance
3rd March 2004, 11:42 PM
i can't do that experiment right now because i already had started on the alcohol before i got back home and saw the post. ;)

[about my attitude to the other post, i already explained that i found it questionable because it was essentially a private message from Linda to Steven. it is not that the topic had nothing to do with WipEout, but that it had nothing to do with anyone other than themselves. and anyway i asked for opinions, i didn't delete. so don't anybody be bitter ;) :D
yes, i too find it hard to let go of an argu.... um... discussion. ;) ]

''...I came up with a compromise.''
the only compromise i see it that you start the test with the beer instead of the vodka. tsk. slacker. :) personally i'd prefer to start with a rum-and-coke or a whiskey sour or a margarita. the results on stage 5 after 5 margaritas should be interesting. i once attended a company christmas party [FREE BOOZE!] at which i had 5 margaritas and 2 screwdrivers and could still dance very well, so i'm thinking that i'm usually too stressed and tight when i pilot the racers so i would probably do pretty well at this experiment if i had the free booze supply which alas i do not.

23 seconds? hmm... it's been about 2 years since i raced phantom at Porto Kora. i dunno if i can break 23 seconds in any condition whatever. probably fun to try in the specified conditions, though :)

xEik
4th March 2004, 12:21 AM
Already done a similar thing but with rum+cola. Spoke about it in some thread. My results in Porto Kora were decent because I know it by heart and could race it with my eyes closed. Trying Hi-Fumii was a mess (specially the narrow part lcated almost at the end of the track).

Mano
4th March 2004, 06:29 AM
Sorry for the OT question, is rum+coke known as Cuba Libre (Free Cuba) outside Peru too? no one outside this country seems to call it like this, maybe its offensive.

Roger
4th March 2004, 07:10 AM
Well, it is called Cuba libre here in Finland. Of course, we finns are more into drinks like "Kossuvissy" - that's Koskenkorva (http://www.kossu.org/eng/spirit/) and sparkling mineral water (actually, tap water will do just fine, as long as you've got the booze :wink: )

As for the drunk driving experiment, I think I'll pass. I can hardly handle a phantom craft while sober, let alone drunk :-?

infoxicated
4th March 2004, 12:20 PM
...it was essentially a private message from Linda to you, Steven..

Shem is not Stin. Stin is not Shem. Shem is Shem. Stin is Stin. :D :)

reply from me, lance: you are correct sir. i shall do an edit. i must have been as ... um.... incapacited from alcohol and illness then as i am from sleepiness now. i'll do it in a few minutes when i have some less vague perception of my actions.

addition to edit: okay, slight edit is done. i would have done major edit/deletion, but then no one elses comments would make sense, and i am just barely non-egoistic enough that i can leave evidence that i am capable of making dumb mistakes. so unless you want me to clean up the entire topic, i guess the editing is done?

Asayyeah
4th March 2004, 12:59 PM
Let's set it straight - ALCOHOL + WIPEOUT!
Any Volunteers? :)
Djen Dobre Shem !
I was totally lol when i was reading your post. The first scientific experience on WZ !!
Unfortunately i 've stopped drinking since i come back from French Guyana, 2years & a half ago. I 've met there, a very good polish friend ( his lastname was Bialik ). Never saw a man like him supporting such any kind of Alcohol quantity!! Totally awesome !
His favorit drink was of course based on Vodka called ' White Russian ' ( frozen white vodka + milk + Kahlua ( coffee liquor )). For me it was caïpirinha and ti'punch.

is rum+coke known as Cuba Libre (Free Cuba) outside Peru too Yes Mano in France for those who ever came to south America or islands like Cuba+ dominicain republic, guadeloup we are saying cuba librè . For the others it's Rhum coca or bacardi cola

Shem is not Stin. Stin is not Shem. Shem is Shem. Stin is Stin.
Lance has certainly started Shem's experimence before writing his post.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thruster2097
4th March 2004, 02:13 PM
As a QA techhie (or as some pepole prefer to call me - Scientist) I am definatley up for experiments. My purpouse in life is to experiment, test, analyse and experiment again.
I will give it a go on sunday (which is a day where I dont have to drive...anywhere)
My lap times will be, without a doubt, rubbish due to my inability to function at phantom speed :wink:
My chosen beer will be a very popular belgian lager (no names - no lawsuits).

I once saw this on a sci-documentary over here called Tomorrows World where they got a mid-20s girl infront of a rally simulator, asked her to drive the stage.
Then, the producers got her to down some vodkas, then bought her back to the simulator. If I remember correctly, she bettered her time by a few secs!

Shem
4th March 2004, 03:22 PM
I knew I could count on you Thuster! :D
Nevethless, you all have to know, that the response to my experiment among my friends was very interesting : some specimens started to laugh (thinking It was a joke), other started to roll their eyes saying "Again?" :wink: , but in most cases, there was only one question in the way : "when?" :)
Being not-so-aware-of-this I accidently formed a fine group of volunteers willing to sacrifice their heads in the name of this great experiment. They are brave men, fearless, alcohol resistant, no...they have no superpowers....just a grup of ordinary guys who will change the history of Wipeouting on Saturday, at my place.....
The results, and conlcusions will be annouced on Sunday on this forum.
But still, more volunteers are more than welcome to join! Let's make history!, UNITE brothas, and sistas!!! ... And God Help Us All...... :wink:

Lance
4th March 2004, 04:11 PM
i think Shem has discovered a method whereby we can increase the membership of WipeoutZone by a factor of ten! :D

argh. i have a headache this morning... eh... [looks at clock] uh.. afternoon. [yes, i only got up about half an hour ago. got up, not woke up], but as a result of my not-done-quite-right experiment, i improved a couple of my personal best times last night. not on Porto Kora, though, cos i was playing XL. :D the night before, when i was in a more normal state, was a crashfest. couldn't equal my times, much less beat them. so i consider the experiment a rousing success already!

Asayyeah: er... um... blush... yes. :D

Rhum coca is a good name

and before i forget, my apologies to all for my slippage into dummassitude

zargz
6th March 2004, 06:11 PM
i'm not seeng any entries here about the experiment, boys! :D :D 8)

lunar
6th March 2004, 10:52 PM
Shem, Thruster, Lance: its great to see so many people prepared to dedicate their leisure time to the advancement of science, and to increasing the sum of human knowledge. You are heroes, gentlemen.

I managed an all-night session of alcohol/gaming research last night, but unfortunately I was unable to tempt any of my friends into some investigation into the effects of alcohol on AG racing in particular. For some reason they all preferred to play modern games on 3 linked X-boxes, on 10 foot wide projection screens, rather than a six-year old, monstrously difficult flying rocket game with blocky graphics. Some people are weird. :roll:

So at first it was a night of me getting repeatedly fried on pointless shooters with names like "Desert Thunder: Operation Firehammer", or "Galaxy Wars: Delta Recon 4: The Final Justice" or "Halo." Now I know what FPS stands for: F***king Pointless Slaughter. Of me, mostly. I hate these games. I did better with Crimson Skies, that being a game that it definitely helps to be drunk for, and being a flying game it provides positive indications that alcohol could infact improve AG-performance. By 4a.m. on Rallisport Challenge I was thoroughly drunk, and the champ too! Alcohol makes you very positively gung-ho, which helps with that game.

Sorry I couldn`t stick strictly to the programme, Shem, but now I`m going to research the effects of sleep deprivation on AG Racing.

Keep up the good work!

stin
6th March 2004, 10:52 PM
I have been experimenting tonight! :o but I have not checked you posts due my drinking LOL!! 8) anyway my scores are there (after 10 bottles of Stella Artios :P ) ! Don`t forget I`m struggling to write prperly due my drinkingf!!! :o

ok get to the point!! my scores are on prototypes SE therefor you can see it!! :lol:

stin :D

lunar
6th March 2004, 11:03 PM
:D

Stin that`s pretty impressive. But what happened on LS103. Did you do that last, after the vodka?

Lance
6th March 2004, 11:13 PM
yep, Stin, you did especially well on LS102. i'd say the experiment is a success. and fun, too!

while looking at the SE tables i note how good an overall record zargz has. he's damn close to Al on many of the circuits in the lower couple of classes, and just has a generally good record relative to everybody. great going, zargz!

lunar said:
''You are heroes, gentlemen.''
thank you. it's a tremendous sacrifice, but by god, it's for the sake of all humanity!

stin
6th March 2004, 11:32 PM
:D

Stin that`s pretty impressive. But what happened on LS103. Did you do that last, after the vodka?

:o"Vodka!" :o Actually I don`t drink Vodka but I do drink Brandy "XO" (does that count?!)

...The reason is tooo bloody bendy!!!! so I cannie see it properly!!! :oops:

stin
7th March 2004, 06:33 PM
Well I`m 100% sober well nearly anyway get to the point!, I had played on the track (LS104/AW73 : 3SE) Lap race shaved three full seconds off! :o and Race time nearly fours seconds off :o :o .

In my inpinion there is a big difference!! :D

Most importantly DON`T drink and drive well apart from Wipeouts! whcih I still do 8)

Lance
13th March 2004, 01:49 AM
okay. approaching midnight. i've had two mudslides consumed in about half an hour which my host tells me contgained aboout 3 shots of vodka plus Kahlua of unasked for and undetermined amount. about an hour after i finished drinking these when the alcohol had fully kicked in, i could barely walk back to my house. i'm a lightweight with a fast metabolism. i drove talon's reach with a phantom class piranha in single race mode. first day i've ever done sr with a piranha. made 18.8 laptime. a new perssonal best for sr [last lap on the sixth race] and 150.1 overall racetim3. earlier in the day i made a new personal best [i'm just starting playing with piranha] of 17.8 lap on TT, and 1:40.1 overall timeon sr. yes it's pants. kiddies, try this drinking and piloting thing only at home

sorry if post is a little incoherent

stin
14th March 2004, 02:56 AM
Well I had an expreiment tonight again but more than normal!! :o ok here goes,
I had 20 bottles of small Stella Artios, Apple cider 55% alc% :o :o (2 shots!!) (A gift from Asayyeah!) so you work that out! ;)

If you want to know my new scores tonight? ;)

SE Manor Top on Phantom, Lap time 26.36 with AG :D :wink: and Race Time 2:43:50 :D

But remember I will put my scores down tomorrow morning well it`s nearly 4am in the morning :o :o

stin 8)

Roger
14th March 2004, 05:31 PM
55% alc% :o :o (2 shots!!) (A gift from Asayyeah!) so you work that out! ;)
Hmm, french hard liquor. 55%, really strong stuff - bound to give you a gravity defying sensation :wink:

Would that perchance be green Chartreuse?

Asayyeah
14th March 2004, 05:50 PM
Erm... i watched the Stin`s experiment too... Very impressive...
i think he will become addicted to my dad's Hell drink :lol: :lol: ( more exactly Calvados made by distilling apples juice) he says " i get in love with that...so gorgeous..."
Today Stin searching on the Web how to create his own distillery... he has already bought any apples... can't believe that..... :wink: :wink: :wink:

stin
14th March 2004, 06:47 PM
Well here we are, I have some pictures just for you guys,

It`s all there, >>>>>>

http://pluto.imagemagician.com/images/stin/stin`sxgame.jpg

http://pluto.imagemagician.com/images/stin/stinxandxasayyeah.jpg

http://pluto.imagemagician.com/images/stin/Asayyeah`sxbottle.jpg

The middle picture of us are Asayyeah on the left and me on the right 8)

stin
14th March 2004, 06:57 PM
55% alc% :o :o (2 shots!!) (A gift from Asayyeah!) so you work that out! ;)
Hmm, french hard liquor. 55%, really strong stuff - bound to give you a gravity defying sensation :wink:

Would that perchance be green Chartreuse?

LOL! yeah this bottle which made from his father(Thank you Asayyeah!;)) I can assure you it is lethal!!! :o :o but goooood stuff! :D :D

this is a picture from above http://pluto.imagemagician.com/images/stin/Asayyeah`sxbottle.jpg

PS also listen from Techno`s music and the drinks and IT IS REALLY GRAVITY DEFYING!!!!! 8) 8)

Lance
14th March 2004, 09:51 PM
cool television in the middle pic. and i notice Arnaud is letting Stin have the neGcon :)

those PSX's look absolutely new!

Shem
15th March 2004, 12:05 AM
I'm proud of you Stin&Assayeah :cry: ... that's big bottle of ..whatever's in it! In the name of science: we unite. And then there's a hangover.....
:wink:

Lance
17th March 2004, 04:23 AM
oh, man. for the last three days, i've been doing the experiment except i've not been doing the racing.... just the drinking. and i don't even have the alcoholic gene. sheesh. i gotta stay away from the neighbors house for a bit. except they just got broadband today. so that is not going to happen

zargz
17th March 2004, 08:09 AM
while looking at the SE tables i note how good an overall record zargz has. he's damn close to Al on many of the circuits in the lower couple of classes, and just has a generally good record relative to everybody. great going, zargz!
. thank u lance! :D I been workin fulltime the last 5weeks -
am totally dead when come home (freedom days r gone) so no time 4 the zone
or wipEing but now im slowly getting back on track. stil have to take the leap over
2the 2higher classes. havent race for months now .. :( ..
may b these lines u wrote will help me get back on it! :roll:
last 2-3 days got stuck (restuck) on worms armageddon(psx) on the death mach part !
now i'm major(if any1 knows what that is)!
anyway - c if 2day i'll give se a spin! 8)

Asayyeah
20th March 2004, 08:34 PM
I'm proud of you Stin&Assayeah
It was only to see what happens for smone who never drink, well the result wasn't so bad, can't really beat my scores due to Alcoholic feelin' ( see the tracks larger than normally :oops: but it wasn't so riduculous just hysterically funny 8) :lol: 8)

i notice Arnaud is letting Stin have the neGcon
Erm....Stin's humour....who is the true Asayyeah and who is the false Stin ( in fact there's two Asayyeah or 2 Stin on the pics....it depends on which rate of alcohol flow into your blood....

But now wellcome to the true or crue reality : no more Scotland till July ( except through messenger hopefully :D )
No more challenge except Special Edition one... thx so much ,Cool Lover :P :P :P , for the original SE you gave me. Now i need to perform a bit on it to bit your irresistible man :wink: