PDA

View Full Version : WipeOut 2097 crashes to desktop

Subster
6th February 2004, 06:09 PM
Hi!

I just bought WO, but it crashes after the first title screen without any error message back to the desktop. :o

Here is a list of my hardware and software:

Athlon XP 2400+
Asus A7V266-EX with 512 MB DDR, newest BIOS (no beta)
AOpen Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64 MB
Creative Labs Audigy 2
Windows 2000 SP4 (german) incl. all updates from windowsupdate.com
DirectX 9.0

All drivers on my system are up-to-date.

I read something about a slowdown tool, but that did not help me. I also deinstalled DX9 and tried a downgrade back to DX7... no chance. :(

Please help, I love this game!

JABBERJAW
6th February 2004, 09:14 PM
download turbo to slow your cpu speed down. You can set it at any speed you want

Subster
6th February 2004, 09:39 PM
I already tried to slow down my PC. Is this tool really a solution for my problem? Could you please post an URL where I can find it?

JABBERJAW
6th February 2004, 11:42 PM
I don't know where to find it. Type in Turbo for PC in yahoo and you will find it easily

gbit
7th February 2004, 01:14 AM
I think your problem is windows 2000. Wipeout 2097 is an old directx 3 game, and games in general have historically had problems with win2k. The best option would be to dual boot windows 98 with win2k.

If the game does run, you will find it will run at 3 times the speed it should :). The solution I have used, and should work for your dx8 class geforce4, is to put the anisotropic filtering and antialiasing levels to the highest possible. The sheer volume of calculations which will be needed to be done as a result should slow the game down. After that is the slow down utils, and the last, and best, option, is to get a pentium 166 with 32MB ram and a circa 1998 graphics card.

Good luck! Its a brilliant game.

The most extreme option, though, is to get a psx and play it on that.

Subster
7th February 2004, 01:23 AM
OK, thanks 4 information!

But why do some people can play WO with Windows XP? 2k and XP are almost the same OSes.