PDA

View Full Version : Hello! I'm new and with a few new records...

Shinji Ikari
25th January 2004, 04:14 PM
hello everybody!

I just joined this site and this forum...
I left my records for talon's reach and spilskinanke in phantom class with AG System...
:wink:

I have a question for NegCon users: what are the differences in control in comparison to a standard controller? I've never ever seen a negcon and I always wondered what's that sort of junction in the middle... looks like you can twist the left and right part of the control pad... if that would control the nose of the ship (allowing you to wildly go up/down while turning l/r) that would be a nice help... let me know...

thanks

infoxicated
25th January 2004, 04:18 PM
I've not really used one yet, but it does just about what you describe above. :)

I'm sure one of our resident NegCon experts can give you a fuller description, though. :)

Task
25th January 2004, 04:27 PM
Welcome Shinji, you should go check out the articles section of the site.
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/features.php?action=display&id=23

Shinji Ikari
25th January 2004, 04:27 PM
then it's a worthy piece of gear... in the tracks after gare d'europa there's almost more to do up and down than right and left...

I submitted more records... is there any way to proof that I've not cheated? :wink:

ps: thanks to both for your replies! :D

yuusen
25th January 2004, 04:32 PM

welcome to the forums shinji!

the junction in the middle twists nearly 180degrees either way. when you twist it your wrists naturaly follow a slightly steering-wheel-like rotation so it can act as a very effective steering-wheel-style controller, allowing for the faster turn rates needed to play wipEout games.

with the steering being controlled by the twist junction, the d-pad is now free to control the nose of the craft seperately, this gives a solid distinction between the two axis of movement of the craft and greater overall control. the junction 'dead zone' (area before movements are registered by the game) and limit (area after movements are registered) are adjustable on a sliding scale within the game which means you can have highly precise and smooth control of the steering or faster yet more twitchy steering, depending on your needs.

the x and square equivalent buttons are raised about 1cm and push down with a spring action that is fully analog, these represent the accelerator and brake in racing games. alas, they are useless for playing wipEout as the brakes are consigned to the shoulder buttons (of which there are two chunky ones on the neGcon). i personally remap the accel and 'fire weapon' buttons to the circle and triangle equivalent buttons respectively. this then gives me instant full acceleration input as well as less distance to push the buttons as these arent analog, just on/off.

i have a feeling the shoulder buttons are analog too, i never really studied them in depth. if anyone can enlighten us, please do.

¥

[spell checked by yuuusen at 5:45pm GMT]

Shinji Ikari
25th January 2004, 04:36 PM
uhm, I got it...

but I can't assign the nose to the junction and the horizontal turning to the d-pad? it'd seem more natural to me to control the nose with something vertical... it would be a bit like a jetplane "cloche"

and thanks again... everybody's so kind on this forum! :)

yuusen
25th January 2004, 04:50 PM

hmmm, i see what you are saying. i doubt it is possible as it goes against the controller's original intention and therefore the games would not contain the relevant code. it never even struck me to try it so i cannot say for sure.

i only describe my technique in my last post, your own way of playing is, naturally, up to you. however i do recommend the technique that i mentioned.

¥

Roger
25th January 2004, 05:27 PM
Welcome Shinji!

I submitted more records... is there any way to proof that I've not cheated?
Well, short of screenshots (that can be "doctored" anyway) - we'll just have to take your word for it. We rely on everyone's honour as honest, passionate AG-racers.

Ain't it cool? 8)

Shinji Ikari
25th January 2004, 05:39 PM
okay, I like this AG bushido!

about the negcon I'll try it... even if the new system will not be easy at 1st I'm pretty sure that once mastered it will help a lot hi-quality racing..

thanks again to evreybody!