PDA

View Full Version : participation in the new WO2 tables, NTSC.

Lance
24th January 2004, 02:48 PM
but before i get to the subject:
darn it, George, you are a competitive so-and-so. just couldn't stand to let me stay number one, you bahstid. ;) but even though you got a full second ahead on laptime, you're only 1.4 seconds ahead over three laps, so i'm proud of myself anyway! [especially since i wasn't wearing my contact lenses]

ahem...
i see that there are five of us now entering times on WOXL tables. this is great. we don't all have a complete set of times. i know i've played the game too little to even have any times in more than a small percentage of the categories, much less have good times, but i'll get there eventually. i've discovered that WO2 is a really high quality game [even though i can barely see the tracks, they're so dark.]. i'm thinking that these new tables will be at least as competitive as the WO3 tables, and maybe even more so since they're new and are revitalising our interest. yeah, we should have been starting new challenges in the Arena, but... we didn't. but now we don't have to! not for months anyway

Task
26th January 2004, 07:47 AM
Indeed, we have barely begun to enter times for WOXL and _already_ you two are taking my #1s from me. Good job! 8 )

When I first got my TV, I opened it up and cranked the brightness just so I could see inside the tunnels. I'm not sure how many times I've gone on the rant about "incredibly futuristic racecraft that don't know what headlights are" so I won't be going into that again.

Or did I?

Mano
26th January 2004, 08:05 AM
Yeah i remember how dark XL was on tv with my psx, thats one of the reasons i play it emulated now you can correct colors very easily, bright and very contrasted, i wish i could compete with you guys and im very tempted to buy a psx again, btw. i am about to start posting my emu times, of course this are not official times as we discussed the reasons in another post, but for those that want another challenger i got a very interesting time in talonĀ“s reach at phantom with pirhana :D

Lance
26th January 2004, 09:35 AM
Jay, i notice that in Venom class SR on Phenitia Park, the three of us who used Qirex are all covered by a mere half-second time difference. i wonder if this is going to become a common pattern on all hotly contested races in XL. someone very recently made the comment that this was a likely possibility on WO2.

Mano, shouldn't you list the specific emulator [i'm assuming there are at least a few] and the framerate you used?

Mano
26th January 2004, 10:10 AM
yeah good advice, im gonna edit my post to add that right now.

Wiseman
27th January 2004, 05:39 AM
Heh, yeah, I'm currently just running thorugh the courses, racing them once (or twice if I think I did extra pathetically) and posting whatever times I get to get to the times on the tables.

I'm trying to avoid what happened with 3, where it took me ages to fill in times for the tables (I think there are still some courses I don't have times for yet in 3). So I figured I'd do it differently for XL and get as many times for the Qirex as fast as I can and post them, then work from there.

I still need to load my Piranha saves though so I can insert all my times for Phantom. After that I should have every single race in SR done. Then it's over to finish all the races in TT.

Moving on to my thoughts on the Qirex (I'm used to Piranha, I haven't touched the Qirex in XL since I won the Piranha [which was over 4 years ago]), man, racing the Icaras must've really prepared me for this thing, as I'm finding it waaaaay easier than what I remember to lead this lumbering brick around a course.

Back even when I was getting excellent times with the Piranha, I couldn't get a Qirex around a track at anything above Venom for the life of me. I despised the thing. Heck, I even wondered if I was going to join you guys in this, and just forget it and post my Piranha times and be done with it.

But after racing the first time, I was flabbergasted at how easy it was, combined with the slower speed (versus the Piranha) I actually thought I had accidently chosen Venom instead of Rapier (heh). Of course, I was wrong, it actually was Rapier.

Of course, I still have no game with this thing (I'm still so friggin used to the Piranha it's crazy), I don't have a clue as to where to use the turbo in TT (or SR for that matter) or anything, so in some ways, it's made me a "reborn newbie" at XL.

Of course, I'm not giving up my precious Piranha (oh hell no, never!) so I raced it a little today, to try and keep up with the skills I've learned on it (don't want to lose them).

And besides:

Piranha + Phantom + Phenitia Park > everything else in Wipeout XL

Lance
27th January 2004, 03:22 PM
oh, jeeze, listen to the man. ahem... and i'm paraphrasing here: [ ;) ] the Georgeman says : '' oh, well, you know, i've not played this game since about four years ago. just thought i'd put in some times, just race once on each track and put in whatever i got. oh, by the way, i beat your time by 15 seconds. i guess you're new to the game; you'll improve with some practice. oh? you've been racing this version for 10 years? and it took you 5 hours every day for a week to get that time?'' [ G-man puts on expression of grieving sympathy. inside his mind, he grins hugely, and thinks '' damn, i'm good! ] ''well, don't worry about it, i'm certain you'll do better next time.''

:D :D :D

G is better than me. i know this. it just... [sniffles] hurts. ya know? [sobs]

:D

Wiseman
8th February 2004, 04:57 AM
Heh, I never said I haven't played XL at all in the past 4 years, just when I did, it was always with the Piranha. I've barely ever touched the Qirex at all before the last 2 weeks. And honestly I personally think that you, Task and I are on about the same level. If you look at the tables, we're always someone near eachother. I personally like it that way, since it makes for some good competition.

Anyway, I've been on vacation for the last week or so, so I haven't had time to insert any new times. However, this afternoon I raced all of the rest of the TT's I had no times for before, so once I get those in (and my blasted Piranha times I keep on forgetting to look up) I'll have it all done, and can finally concentrate on some good ol' fashioned competition! 8)

Lance
8th February 2004, 01:55 PM
yeah, we're close enough to each other that it's always been an interesting competition. in the past you and Jay have always been able to edge [or more than edge] past my best times, but even so, it's been fun. now we have a new venue to play on, so happy days are here again!

man, you guys just wait till i get that batarang controller from Joel!
[all my current XL times were made with one of those 3 dollar imitations of the early model no-shock no-stick Sony type]

Wiseman
9th February 2004, 05:27 AM
Heh, all my times are made with a Mad Catz Dual Force 2 Pro controller. I like it because it has great grips and is extremely comfortable.

Anyway, I finally got the rest of my times (sans Piranha) in today, so I got to concentrate on my favorite track, Phenitia Park. Beating your TT Venom times only took me 2 races, but the Vector one took me somewhere around 8!(yikes!) Nice job on those times, man!

Lance
9th February 2004, 07:39 AM
thanks for the praise. :)

i just looked. you only beat my racetime by two-tenths of a second. woohoo! maybe i'm getting better than i used to be. [crosses fingers][or makes whatever other gesture might prove useful]. or maybe that cheapie controller i've been using recently has got some magic spell on it [nah, Lance, yuv jst bn watchin too many fantasy movies]. [one controller to rule them all, and in the darkness blind them] [yes, bLind] [counts on the blue sparkles of Joel's batarang to do the trick] [hmm... supposes that the blue sparkles could blind Lance instead.....]