PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of trivia

infoxicated
24th January 2004, 10:53 AM
While researching something else, I uncovered a couple of bits of useless information related to 2097 and XL.

The track "Spilskinanke" was based on the idea of a ruined city, such as that found in Escape from New York. However, the designer of the level based it on LA instead of NY, although Escape from LA hadn't been released at that point.

For obvious reasons couldn't call it LA in the game, and since the rest of the levels had crazy names, he created an anagram of Snake Plissken - the lead character from the movies.

There is also a billboard on that track, which if you slow down and look at from behind has the words "Big Scarey Fish" - which isn't a reference to Piranah like you'd think. It was apparently an in-joke refering to a looming deadline, as the team were making such swift progress with the game that the deadlines were continually brought forward. With the game being completed in five and a half months, there were a whole load of "big scarey fishes" towards the end. :)

Pointless, but true, fact fans :D 8)

Lance
24th January 2004, 02:10 PM
it might seem pointless at first, but i love this stuff; i think it just gives us a more complete involvement and satisfaction in something we clearly want very much to be involved in. we don't call ourselves fan[atic]s for no reason. i welcome any background details. we are so lucky to have you and Nick and Wayne and Damon and Scott and Jim and... [there's got to be some i don't remember at the moment]... from the development groups. this forum is not just one of the best on the internet with the most caring and helpful members, it is also one of the most priviliged in its access to the people who make the games, the subject of its fandom. i love this place.

lunar
24th January 2004, 11:17 PM
the deadline can`t have been that bad if they had time for sfuff like that, either that or they were super-cool under pressure. I`m gonna have a cruise round on vector and have a look for it sometime.

Its incredible they made that game so fast (edit for the sake of the language police :wink: : I mean quickly) and did such a brilliant job. Spilskinanke is just such a great design - its not actually all that technical IMO - it just keeps deceiving you as to the correct route, making you turn too sharply or not turn when you need to in various places, particularly on the tunnel exits and the the big bend before the last drop. Also the damn wussbots are very keen, and very slow to put you back too.

xEik
26th January 2004, 01:19 AM
I`m gonna have a cruise round on vector and have a look for it sometime.

If you manage to do that, will you please tell me how did you get Vector and Venom in Spliskinanke and Vostok Island? ;)
:P

lunar
26th January 2004, 08:18 AM
that is a very good question. I`ll have to come back to you on it. :P :wink:

Wiseman
27th January 2004, 05:45 AM
Actually, you can get Venom on both Vostok Island and Spilskinanke, I've explained it several times in the forum already, you probably missed it.

After a Venom race on Spilskinanke, wait for the AI bots to get around to the 90 degree corner to see something pretty weird.