PDA

View Full Version : Digital or analogue?

seek
21st January 2004, 10:27 PM
Personally I use the digital control. Probably because I played 2097 to death which didn't support analogue.
I'm interested to see wether people prefer the analogue control, or stick with the digital.

Lance
21st January 2004, 10:32 PM
digital

infoxicated
21st January 2004, 10:36 PM
Analogue - in fact, the very reason I cant get to grips with 2097 is that I cant use the d-pad to save myself.

Well, except in Tony Hawks games, but that's different. ;)

djb
21st January 2004, 10:39 PM
2097 supports analogue, use a negcon, you will never go back :wink:

infoxicated
21st January 2004, 10:42 PM
I am aware of that and I have six things in the pipeline. 8)

xEik
22nd January 2004, 08:18 PM
Digital.

Probably because 2097 was my first WO. The analog stick of the DS and the DS2 isn't extremely good either (at least I cannot get it to control the pitch accurately while driving).

FoxZero
22nd January 2004, 10:09 PM
i use digital for all my times.

Shem
22nd January 2004, 10:27 PM
Digital only.
Well, I tried to use analogue for some time, but it always ended up with frustration, trying to smash the dual shock into the nearest solid surface. I just couldn't feel it....used to hit the digital all the time, and now all the gentle and precise moves are gone, it's imposiible for me to skip over onto analogue (feeling kinda like a caveman unable to evolve...)

science
23rd January 2004, 09:49 PM
negcon always. digital before that. never liked playing wipeout with the sticks. (warning: divergent thread comment approaching)
I would assume that everyone in N. America has this problem, but do you 2097ers have the negcon bug where either the replay's gas or the steering gets slightly off and eventually you knock into a wall (after that the craft pretty much flounders about in one spot since its still trying to make turns that it would have made further up the track)? That drives me batty!

Wiseman
24th January 2004, 06:45 AM
Digital.

If Sony's analog sticks where as good as Nintendo's, I'd use them, but alias, there absolute crap (or pants, as you English would say) so I don't even bother.

Although I'm thinking of buying a Negcon (found one on eBay for cheap, so I'm going for it) so I might be switching to that soon. :D

Animagic
14th May 2004, 05:41 PM
digital...

a preference holdover from the original wipEout days.

although OT, I realized I'd played all of Fusion with the analog !
I tried again with digital I liked the control a little better.
-Animagic

Lance
14th May 2004, 07:05 PM
delayed response to Joel/science: i used to see the ship floundering around just off the start line on replays with neGcon being used, but i've not seen it for about a month. no idea why. maybe something changed when i re-calibrated the control response. i doubt it though; it's probably just one of those unexplainable results of chance and random electrons on a lucky streak

rejj
15th May 2004, 02:18 PM
I play using analogue

Asayyeah
15th May 2004, 08:17 PM
like Science....digital before and Neg-Con now

G'Kyl
15th May 2004, 09:09 PM
Same here. First digital, now neGcon. I am unable to use the analoge sticks to any good ends. ;)

Foxdragon
21st June 2004, 06:32 PM
Analogue all the way. Why? For one thing, it's a hell of a lot smoother, and that you can keep an angle when cornering. As for using digital...put bluntly, it's jerky.

piranha wiper
21st June 2004, 08:38 PM
i will have to agree with foxd rejj and infox, anologue because withe negcon im sure (ive never tried yet but from wat i hear they are good) you can graduly adjust to the corner but with digital it is jerky specialy on long sweeping corners, digital is best for sharp turns thats why i like the original so much hardaly any long corners :D

yuusen
21st June 2004, 08:51 PM

analogue, definitely analogue. yep. sure. analogue. yeeeaah... negcon even. yeah. negcon..... sorry, what?

:lol:

¥

piranha wiper
21st June 2004, 09:01 PM
is a negcon a type of analogue but the controller twists instead of having sticks?

Rapier Racer
21st June 2004, 09:08 PM
I use the dual shock digital for every game except WOF, oh yeah and my rather childish Sonic Heros game becasue they force me to, what? why are you looking at me like that?

Lance
21st June 2004, 09:12 PM
i find that the difference between neGcon and D-pad shows itself in the transitions, the entries and exits from corners. on long sweeping curves i usually have the D-pad held full on all the way through

hi Foxdragon, welcome to the WipeoutZone

science
21st June 2004, 09:26 PM
I was sitting here reading through this topic, and suddenly I read someone's post and I was thinking, "Wow, that's precisely how I feel. How uncanny." Then I looked at the member that posted it....Me. What the?
It sort of bugged me out for a second, then I realized how old this thread is....
Sorry to digress, but it made me laugh at myself. :)

Lance
21st June 2004, 09:57 PM
lol. yeah, i did that once a few months ago.
hilarious :D

G'Kyl
21st June 2004, 10:01 PM
What I find special about the neGcon is that, the twist and the d-pad being independent, it gives you precise steering and nose pointing control, something you need in order to avoid abrupt movements - the latter having a way of feeding on the momentum of your speed. ;) So yea, analogue in general is better than digital. But the neG plays in it's own league.

Ben

Foxdragon
22nd June 2004, 11:31 AM
Although moving away from the NegCon, I did manage to track down an AirPad...those things are so sensitive!

G'Kyl
22nd June 2004, 12:20 PM
Took me a while to find some info on that thing. What I've seen looks and sounds great and cheap (at least on eBay), but since I hardly hear anyone mention it; what's the catch?

Ben

Oh, and welcome to the forums foxdragon. :)

Foxdragon
22nd June 2004, 04:51 PM
Well, basically it's like any other controller, but the main differance is (apart from the shape), is that if switched to analogue, it takes the place of the left thumbstick, so you have to tilt in the direction you want to go. To be honest, it's good for flight-sims, but for the WipEout series, and any other game in the racing genre, a lot of time and patience is needed to fully master this device.

G'Kyl
22nd June 2004, 05:21 PM
Hm, I know how it works and thought it might be good for someone who gets constantly annoyed with himself because he tends to turn the whole neGcon instead of actually using the twist. Yes, that would be myself ;) and the Airpad seems a good opportunity to compensate for that. I was just wondering whether it's a quality controller or turns out impractical in practise...

piranha wiper
22nd June 2004, 07:56 PM
wiseman said

If Sony's analog sticks where as good as Nintendo's, I'd use them, but alias, there absolute crap (or pants, as you English would say)

no one says pants now

whats wrong with sony anologue sticks, new ones realy are at their best for feel their firmer, older plentyful used no-grip-on-top-of-sticks are sort of soggy and wobble when released for a turning position :-?

yuusen
22nd June 2004, 08:08 PM

welcome to the forums foxzero! would you per chance be a fan of starwing or f-zero?
(sorry i didnt take notice of your arrival earlier, i was busy being flippant).

infox : i think these avatars are hindering my ability to distinguish individual members, im just seeing teams and making assumptions of who it could be.

EDIT
see what i mean!? i just realised the new guy is called foxdragon (sorry foxd). maybe im just not concentrating enough... *goes to get coffee*

¥

piranha wiper
22nd June 2004, 08:14 PM
yuusen, you better not have hinted to infox to stop avatars :evil: :cry: :D , f zero is a cheap not off of wipeout it smells, btw drink lots of coffee tis good, but dont drink more than about 8 cups a day and then just stop, bad things happen (headaches).

Lance
22nd June 2004, 08:17 PM
presumably only the immature and incompletely literate would use a phrase such as ''..imature 5 year old neds that cant talk properly.'' if you are going to express strong opinions, you would at least give the seeming of being a valid source for opinions if you correctly spelled the words you use to express those opinions. it would also help if your sentence structures had some sort of cause and effect logic. please be both more clear and more charitable in your expressions of opinion

piranha wiper
22nd June 2004, 08:19 PM
its english talk, and it was a joke

sorry anyway

Lance
22nd June 2004, 08:29 PM
i did not laugh.
your response looked like a sarcastic reply, not like a joke. be careful how you phrase things in a text-only medium. we cannot see each other's faces, nor hear the tone of each other's voices, so we lose the nuances of expression which make all the difference in how words are interpreted. things must be very clearly and explicitly stated when only the text is available. also remember that some of us surf with images switched off due to slow internet connections, so we don't see emoticons, which though they help in text interpretation, are still only weak subtitutes for the tools we use in live face-to-face talk

edit: thanks, PW, for editing your post.

zargz
23rd June 2004, 09:17 AM
no one says pants now what do they say then? 8)

piranha wiper
23rd June 2004, 12:45 PM
they usualy say sh*t to express their feelings of something that is crap, other wise if there is someoe about who may go mad if they hear that person swear they would say crap

G'Kyl
23rd June 2004, 02:24 PM
In a desperate attempt to pull this thread back on topic: I just got an Airpad for no more than a Euro on eBay. Very nice deal. ;) And I'm very eager to see how it plays!

yuusen
23rd June 2004, 04:42 PM

its english talk
no its not, you just arent eloquent when armed with a keyboard.

and it was a joke
that, however, is english talk. its the common projective get-out clause used by many english people today. the pattern : person voices opinion without forethought > opinion is poorly received > person tries to redeem themselves by saying they were only joking. another pattern : person voices a non-serious opinion without any indication that it was a joke > others respond negatively > person 'kindly' informs others that "oh, it was only a joke" as if to say "you lot really dont have a sense of humour". well listen up, we do, it just doesnt involve the ridicule of others. learn that and we'll take the sandpaper out from under your sledge.

¥

Foxdragon
23rd June 2004, 04:50 PM
Excuse me for butting in...but can we please get back on topic?

piranha wiper
23rd June 2004, 04:55 PM
well said foxd, i dont see why peoplecranky about little stuff like that i edited my post because lance sent me a pm about it and its gone,

G'kyl, is an airpad a controller that you have to move from side to side to make it steer?

yuusen
23rd June 2004, 04:58 PM

absolutely. thankyou foxdragon.

Q1. whats everyones opinion on the use of the analogue buttons (I & II) on the neGcon while playing wipeout? help? hinderance? which wo games do they seem to work for?
Q2. does anyone know why on all neGcon boxes (that i've seen in the uk), the shoulder buttons appear roundedin the picture on the front, yet the actual buttons on the neGcon arent?

¥

Foxdragon
23rd June 2004, 05:07 PM
G'kyl, is an airpad a controller that you have to move from side to side to make it steer?

Not exactly side-to-side, but in all directions, it replaces the Left Analogue.

Lance
23rd June 2004, 07:01 PM
forum etiquette is always a valid topic no matter what thread it occurs in.

ordinarily i send private messages first, but repeated public offenses against forum etiquette require public mention so that no one can get the idea that such offenses are not noticed and corrected.

an insult, whether intended or not, iS a big deal to the person insulted and to anyone who cares about civility.

yuusen is correct that the phrase ''It was only a joke.'' is frequently used by English-speaking people to weasel out of a situation in which they have been called on an offensive behaviour. it's likely that similar phrases in other languages are used in the same situation. whenever we see that phrase, the red flags go up, since the phrase is neither a proper explanation for what happened nor is it an apology.

PW's apology was owed to yuusen, not to me, even though it appeared in context to be to me.

speaking of which, yuusen probably owes an apology to piranha wiper because his comment about PW's language skills, no matter how true it may be and no matter for what reason it may be true and even though it was understated, still seemed to be a retaliatory insult and was also not acceptable.

i dislike using my time in posts like this because we should be civilised enough that such posts shouldn't be necessary. but in order to keep this forum the great place that it has been, i will do what's necessary. any member who is repeatedly uncivilised after having been warned about it will be gone.

after what seems to be a sufficient time for all concerned parties and even uninvolved readers to have read this sequence of posts, i intend to remove all the non-topical posts from the sequence so that later members can read the information that should have been the only thing here in the first place. off-topic is often acceptable, but this sort of verbal jabbing and counter-punching is not.

infoxicated, do you have anything to add to or subtract from what i said?

as for the rest of us, we can make our apologies or threats in whatever style we choose in private. private communication, private rules. but in the public forum, it's for all of us and goes by public rules.

Bob Todd
24th June 2004, 02:46 PM
Digital all the way. D-pad for WipEout, Oddworld and Spyro, thumbsticks for everything else.

Does the neg-con work with any game or only with selected titles?

Lance
24th June 2004, 02:58 PM
it works only with games that are written to support it. i have 7games that do that; all of them are racing games. though that may be just because of my particular selection ot titles

Bob Todd
24th June 2004, 06:00 PM
Do you find it gives you an advantage when playing WipEouts as opposed to using the Dual Shock?

I just bought an Airpad off Amazon, woo!

piranha wiper
24th June 2004, 06:06 PM
allthough ive never tried anything other than a dual shock controller, but from reading description of the airpad i suppose it gives u a direct feel of being inside a wipeout craft with somesort of steering wheel.

Lance
24th June 2004, 06:18 PM
Anna, yes, i find the neg to be very superior to both Dual-Shock analogue sticks and D-pad control

piranha wiper
24th June 2004, 06:24 PM
i think i may have to buy one of those negcons and se how good it is compared to anologue and digital, is ment to be really hard to use first isnt it?

Lance
24th June 2004, 06:59 PM
i found it very easy to get used to. feels natural to me. after having it for about one day, i'd broken 18 of my old personal bests

piranha wiper
24th June 2004, 07:11 PM
realy? its makes that much of an improvement compared to digi and ano, i must definatley get one got any websites that accept visa electrons?

infoxicated
24th June 2004, 08:26 PM
Don't know about Visa Electron, but this place supplies them in the UK:

http://www.chipsworld.co.uk/detProd.asp?ProductCode=2989

piranha wiper
24th June 2004, 08:33 PM
cheers infox great price as well, ill keep this web site

Roger
24th June 2004, 08:37 PM
Yes, but now Chipsworld's neGcon status says "sold out" :(

piranha wiper
24th June 2004, 08:41 PM
oh crap, i want one now from wat all you people have said about it, doeasnt look to apealing bt thats not what its about, its about how it works

G'Kyl
24th June 2004, 10:36 PM
Yep, Namco really made the ultimate race craft controller. The neGcon does indeed feel "natural" for steering.

And on analogue sticks: I played some Quantum Redshift today, which again confirmed my inability to use the one of these joypad sticks to any god end. I simply can't turn the craft while having to maintain controll over the pointing of the nose. Not in any game I ever played. It's these games were I actually prefer the D-Pad (, since there is nothing like the neGcon for the XBox).

Bob Todd
25th June 2004, 06:10 PM
Boosh! I reckon I'll buy a negcon then.

science
25th June 2004, 06:18 PM
I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again: It's a damned shame that Namco didn't market the Negcon better than they did. Every person that I know that has laid their hands on one has loved them. If more people had have tried them, they would have caught on and spread like wildfire, and every racing game would offer support for them. Plus we'd probably see a negcon 2.0 on its way for PS2, maybe even for other platforms.
::wonders if Namco devs ever venture this way::
give it another shot!

zargz
26th June 2004, 01:27 PM
i have 1 & gave it a try couple of times .. sitll dont like it. it's too ..
clumsy, the analog ( X & Sqare) buttons really suck & it should've had 4shoulder buttons :-?

G'Kyl
27th June 2004, 12:22 AM
I agree. Why they didn't give it two more shoulder buttons is beyond me. A lot of games need these, with many racing games among those. I never tried the analogy ;) of the X and square buttons (would in fict prefer to have digital ones for WO), but the twist is just so perfect I don't wanna use another controller again. Even though I may have to. :(

science
27th June 2004, 04:29 PM
another strange thing about the negcon is that only one of the shoulder buttons is analog. The left one is analog, but the right one is just a regular digital button with a really long deadspot. Keep that in mind if you like wierd setups.

edit: I worded my original post funny...fixed it i think.[/i]

Lance
27th June 2004, 05:46 PM
?!!!
i'll keep that in mind for regular setups!

G'Kyl
28th June 2004, 08:37 AM
Erm...what the heck were they thinking when making the right should button digital?! Though I have to say I never experienced problems with the long deadspot you mentioned. Both shoulder buttons for fine and the same for quick brake taps. Then again, I don't play other racing games than WO on my PSone at the moment...

element42
28th June 2004, 12:01 PM
Hmmm :-? I know this is the 3se board but i use R for acceleration in fusion and i thought it didn't feel very analogue... are either of I and II digital in the same way too?

science
28th June 2004, 05:29 PM
the left shoulder button kicks in at a little more than halfway down if youre using it for an airbrake, so theres probably about a hundredth of a second of difference when pressing it down compared to the right one. why they didnt make the right one analog is beyond me. maybe the wiring will only support 4 analog signals, maybe they couldnt figure out how to fit another analog button in there (unlikely, ive had them open and i dont remember a lack of space on the right side). Maybe they didn't want to lay down the extra money for another analog dial. That little cost margain may be the answer ;)