PDA

View Full Version : 2097 GOLD MEDALS

yuusen
21st January 2004, 12:08 PM
Not a challenge for those that have done it already.

My system:
• PSOne
• white neGcon
• weapons ON
• cheats OFF

Result: All tracks but one have gold medals. The final track (the earthquake ruined city) has silver.

Great to hear from anyone that has achieved full gold in the past, or has done as a result of this thread. Please post system details in a similar vain to mine. If playing the PC or Mac version, post the following also:

• CPU clock speed
• amount of RAM
• system version
• keyboard mapping if used, otherwise please state 3rd party periph's

Looking forward to hearign from you!

¥

FoxZero
21st January 2004, 01:24 PM
difficult.. but getting 1st on all the tables would be more impressive.

Lance
21st January 2004, 02:46 PM
at this early point in my XL career, anyone who can get around Spilskinanke with any speed at all has my respect

must be nice to have negcons. i just have D-pad

yuusen
21st January 2004, 03:44 PM
_
the neGcon is the secret to real speed on 2097. the reason? once things start to get really fast your ship has a tendancy to bounce off the floor of the track quite often. its bloody hard to keep pulling the nose up while steering when using a d-pad. the neGcon allows you to have complete control of the steering with your wrists while having seperate control of the pitch (nose up/down) with your thumb over the d-pad.
the game also allows you to ajdust the dead zone and sensitivity of the analog control of the neGcon, meaning you can set the turn rate to really fast for the nasty 90degree turns.

another thing, there is a short cut on the island levels (sorry ppl i cant remember names apart from sagarmartha, its been a while) using this technique. it isnt profoundly off-track, there are no secret doors, but you can jump across the apex of one of the bridges in the level if you have enough speed. it shaves off at least a second.

foxzero : ill let you know when i have managed full gold, its certainly not impossible.
_
¥

gucci_little_piggy
23rd January 2004, 01:55 AM
i've done full gold on all of 'em.

Wiseman
24th January 2004, 06:12 AM
I've had all golds in XL for a while now. Getting all golds in Wipeout 3 was a LOT harder.

Going with the theme

- Playstation
- ASCii (D-Pad)
- weapons on
- cheats off

yuusen
24th January 2004, 06:06 PM

thanks to wiseman and gucci for the feedback, its great to hear that others have done so well.
my ego is deflated enough for me to get out the house now.

foxzero : of course it would be, alas this isnt a comptetition of pretence.

¥

G'Kyl
5th June 2004, 08:30 AM
Hey yuusen, I was browsing some of the older threads in this forum when I found yours. Since there is no more entry about your progress I am interested whether you are now a member of the all-golden-2097-track-select-screen community. :)

yuusen
5th June 2004, 03:07 PM

thanks for the interest g'kyl.

i still havent attempted completion. beating spilsk will take a lot of re-practice, re-practice that i dont have enough time for at the moment.

i'll post here when i do have some progress: new times, positions, stories; but i dont see it happening in the very near future.

¥

faB
5th June 2004, 09:12 PM
I have Gold medal on all tracks / speeds in WipeOut 2097 PAL, PS1, using a D-Pad. I agree turning left and right while holding down the DPad is unpredictable, and doing it while holding UP on the DPad even worse, so I practically never push the nose down (supposed to make you 'grip' more to the track ?).

This was ages ago. I'm not really that good at WipeOut although without taking any of the out-of-track shortcuts I had the best control there, and WipeOut 3 seems so much floatier and less 'controllable' at high speeds.. :cry:

Spilkskinanke was always my favorite on WipeOut 2097, and to this day I still have to get the surge of adrenalin I got in WO2097 when using the Turbo and not bumping into any walls. The last tunnel in Spilskinanke is annoying but with practice you do it almost in a straight line, holding the DPad down.

Anyways, my times for Spilkskinanke Phantom AG SYS are 3:22.3 (race) and 0:37.6 (lap), race mode.

but getting 1st on all the tables would be more impressive

I didnt understand that? What tables ?

must be nice to have negcons

Hell yeah, the prototypes LS105 on Wo3SE just cries for NEGCON ! Taking those long bends it's like typing morse code on the DPad to stay on the track ^ ^

Getting all golds in Wipeout 3 was a LOT harder.

I've done Rapier and Venom. Working on Phantom. I thought doing Terminal (last track) with the slowest ship (Feisar) was difficult, the AI was aggressive on this track. Most other tracks you get ahead after 1-2 laps and never hear of them again :)

i still havent attempted completion. beating spilsk will take a lot of re-practice, re-practice that i dont have enough time for at the moment.

come on come on.... yo udon't know what you're missing :)

G'Kyl
5th June 2004, 10:00 PM
I have Gold medal on all tracks / speeds in WipeOut 2097 PAL, PS1, using a D-Pad.

Same here. Did it all with the D-Pad. :)

Spilkskinanke was always my favorite on WipeOut 2097, and to this day I still have to get the surge of adrenalin I got in WO2097 when using the Turbo and not bumping into any walls.

Ah, memories! :) Yes, this is what I love 2097 for. It still delivers the most effective adrenalin rush of all games in the series!

Ben

Lance
5th June 2004, 10:24 PM
faB said: ''Anyways, my times for Spilkskinanke Phantom AG SYS are 3:22.3 (race) and 0:37.6 (lap), race mode''

[throws down gauntlet with dramatic flourish] my current Spilskinanke times in Phantom Single Race mode are 2:57.2 for race and 33.3 for lap. these times were done with a Feisar; i've not used another ship in single race yet. i doubt that i could get a Qirex around that course, and i suspect that my AG-S shields would not survive the missiles. the AI loves those damn missiles. especially in tunnels or approaching a jump. bastards! :) they throw you off course with a missile so the wusswagon can grab you.

bastards
:D

maybe we should start a Spilskinanke challenge for AG-S ships only, or maybe Feisar only. that would be fun to see how well the slower ships can do on such a difficult course. Arnaud already has some impressive times with the slow ships. [*dreams wildly of getting within ten seconds of Arnaud's time*]
would anyone else find such a ''slow-ship challenge'' interesting?

faB
5th June 2004, 11:24 PM
maybe we should start a Spilskinanke challenge

Hell yeah! :P

Asayyeah
5th June 2004, 11:30 PM
would anyone else find such a ''slow-ship challenge'' interesting?
Ahhhhh Feisar my most favorite ship ( c'mon Asayyeah don't be ironic...: ouch...am i dividing into 2 different personnality??, the slow sarcastic Asayyeah , and the fast friendly Asayyeah : is it the starting of a new mental disorder :o ....need to call my psy in emergency, :lol: :lol: where is the phone number of Doc Sartwell :P )

You know me well, Lance i am always openminded for a new challenge even with those sheep ships of **** ( easy to write but hard to say fast :wink: ).

[*dreams wildly of getting within ten seconds of Arnaud's time*]
you are allowed to dream ......................not more :lol:

Lance
6th June 2004, 12:45 AM
okay, let's start a Spilsk challenge, but wait till after G-Kyl's Porto Kora challenge is done. which is June 13, right? i'll formulate the challenge then and post it

G'Kyl
6th June 2004, 05:47 AM
Wonderful idea, Lance, I`m in.
Gosh, one challenge after another. Just when do you expect me to learn for my studies?! ;)

Lance
6th June 2004, 06:13 AM
um.... incorporate it into your work and write a paper on it? ''The Role of the English Language as the International Communications Medium of the Internet, It's Adoption and Development, [with example case study of a typical forum]''

G'Kyl
6th June 2004, 07:37 AM
Actually, that is quite doable. I could start with the terminology-thread and point out some interesting features of slang within a confined group of the videogame community. :)

yuusen
6th June 2004, 11:14 AM

come on come on.... yo udon't know what you're missing :)
i have silver on spilsk so far, that was fun enough. i would like gold at some time but am content enough with silver. learning programming and earning money to get me out of the hills and into the city again is taking up most of my energies.
-
speaking of control on the latter tracks, i remember getting my gold on vostok island by hopping over the sides of the bridge when using a negcon. has anyone else done this (if you understand what i am referring to)?
+
lance : im up for that challenge too! in contradiction to all ive just said in this post, i think ill make a little time for 2097.

¥

lunar
6th June 2004, 01:43 PM
speaking of control on the latter tracks, i remember getting my gold on vostok island by hopping over the sides of the bridge when using a negcon. has anyone else done this (if you understand what i am referring to)?

I know what you mean. In a Qirex its pretty impossible to stay on the track at this stage. Its a quite hair-raising bit of flying. :o

I`m up for the Spils, challenge, Lance.

yuusen
14th June 2004, 04:37 PM

i did it! i did it! i did it! i did it! i did it!

after seeing this picture (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?sid=d67628fc0b885b33ffc7d59ff5ceece6&p=17193#17193), last night i decided to trash my old 2097 game save and start afresh..... with qirex.

i had never flown qirex (no, not ever) in 2097, dismissing it as heavy and unmanagable. boy was i wrong! i thrashed the game and gained the piranha ship in under 2 hours! from scratch! no cheats! 15" tv! internal view all the way! i think i must have had to retry about 7 races in total. i didnt get any gameovers in either of the challenges. i hadnt played 2097 in about 6 months.

needless to say, i had a brilliant time playing. no next-gen technology. no surround sound integrated living room. just me, my ps1, neGcon and a telly (and big sound system, but it still played in mono). song of the evening : fluke – atom bomb (instrumental).

i cant believe it! ill post my times this week to see where they stand.

dont forget the spilskinanke challenge, lance!

¥

G'Kyl
14th June 2004, 04:56 PM
Congratulations yuuson. And from a, in theory circumstantial, slightly subjectively influenced point of view you just discovered the most bestest racing experience ever - the Qirex. ;-) The craft IS heavy, though, but not unmanagable, that's right. Happening to be able to push the Qirex to its speed limits over a difficult track without bumping into any wall is what I still find the most exciting, puls-accelerating thing there is.
Anyway, I also can't wait to see Lance's challenge. I have been counting the last hours merely "the time before the first contest on my favourite course." ;)

Ben

Lance
14th June 2004, 07:24 PM
the Spilskinanke challenge will begin this coming weekend. simple, easy, nothing special but the fun, i hope. the last challenge i organised was for someone else who couldn't do it themselves, but wanted everything including the kitchen sink and the old bathwater as part of the plan. never again will i do such a thing. this one will be simpler than a 1959 Volkswagen Beetle, but faster

Asayyeah
14th June 2004, 07:50 PM
this one will be simpler than a 1959 Volkswagen Beetle, but faster
good good Lance i like the old beetle ( not the recent one) and for your challenge i am totally open for this week-end. Just a question when will be the end of it ( just for a week-end or during 1 week included 2 week-end as G'Kyl has done for its ? )

Lance
14th June 2004, 09:59 PM
i'm thinking 2 weekends to give more people a chance in case one of their weekends is already promised elsewhere

yuusen
14th June 2004, 10:09 PM

/* runs around the walls of his office in excitement */

i cant wait to find out what the challenge is! it had better be something im good at though :P

¥

Lance
14th June 2004, 10:17 PM
[but what happened to the rum?!]
you should read back in this forum for the clues

[sunlight glints on gold teeth]

faB
15th June 2004, 12:19 AM
i'm thinking 2 weekends to give more people a chance in case one of their weekends is already promised elsewhere

Yes please.

G'Kyl
15th June 2004, 04:58 AM
yuusen, al I remember is two words: "Spilskinanke" (naturally) and "Feisar". Though AG-Systems may have been mentioned as well in the same thread...

By the way, since when do you use the 2097/XL Qirex as avatar. The first time I have seen so many of them in the threads I was wondering if I may be moonwalking. ;))

yuusen
15th June 2004, 04:16 PM

since two days ago bro, when i finally beat the game using qirex alone.

yeah, i remember the words feisar and spilskinanke being mentioned together, too. something about making the challenge more accessible.
-
what rum, lance?

¥

Lance
15th June 2004, 06:10 PM
you haven't seen Pirates of the Caribbean yet? Johnny Depp? Captain Jack Sparrow? marooned on an island? heaps of rum?

yuusen
16th June 2004, 05:31 PM

nope. no pirates. no johnny. no marooned sparrows. and no rum.
-
(talking of movies, i saw a very old jack nicholson flick last night called 'five easy pieces'. if you get a chance and havent yet, watch it!)

¥

Lance
16th June 2004, 06:04 PM
bring me a toasted sandwich, hold the mayo, hold the pickles, hold the....

yuusen
16th June 2004, 06:18 PM

... hold the chicken too!?

yeah, right between your knees!

¥

yuusen
16th June 2004, 09:46 PM

i got a 30 sec lap time in training for the spils challenge. phantom/piranha.

looks like its 3rd on the leader board. arnauds time seems very feasible.

¥

G'Kyl
16th June 2004, 09:54 PM
30 is great! Did you do it with a Qirex?

yuusen
16th June 2004, 10:00 PM

no, a piranha. ive discovered that i only need airbrakes for one corner of that track when flying the fish. now to practice my racing line!! :D

¥

Lance
16th June 2004, 10:01 PM
i tried Spils with a Feisar a couple of days ago. 31.3

with an AG-S, 30.2

i need practice

yuusen
16th June 2004, 10:03 PM

as you can see from lances times in relation to the speed of ship he is flying : i still hit the odd wall or three.
-
on the subject of practice, i got my phantom/talons time down to 18.2 this evening.

¥

Asayyeah
19th June 2004, 02:35 PM
i see that everyone's giving his best to catch my differents times, good :)
Motivation, motivation!!
Go on fellow pilots...like yuusen said most of my times are feasible with good practising :wink: