Spunky
19th January 2004, 06:22 AM
Muhaa,

Have a look at the times I've posted!!

Muhaa

Spunky

science
19th January 2004, 05:48 PM
...sounds like a challenge, sortof. The Arena, maybe?

Spunky
19th January 2004, 06:14 PM
Have you looked at the times :lol:
I doubt anyone could get close to 16.8 T.T for Talons reach or beat for that fact.

What did you have in mind?

Spunky

Lance
19th January 2004, 06:25 PM
i have no such doubts. those times were already beaten long ago.
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/6913/tal_btt.html

admittedly, those old times were done on NTSC, but it shows that your posted PAL times are by no means as invulnerable as all that

Spunky
19th January 2004, 06:28 PM
Yes I noticed that but thats on XL not on 2097.
In case you didn't notice that you have the 2 seperate on the records on this website.
So unless you plan to merge them then I still rule 2097.

Spunky

Lance
19th January 2004, 06:32 PM
the point is that those times are probably at least 3 years old, and that no serious competition has been done in XL/2097 since then. now that we have records here on WZ, all old times for both NTSC and PAL are likely to fall

Spunky
19th January 2004, 06:35 PM
Oh well,

I'll just have to wait until someone does beat them.
But that I would like to see.
I got that with 5 perfect laps hitting every speed pad and not using the airbrakes once, and not hitting the floor once.
I think that they would be a little bit of differnce between the 2 types PAL(NTSC).
I wonder???

Spunky

Lance
19th January 2004, 06:41 PM
probably not very much. Al Sartwell [ZOOLANDER] is the one who has done most research on the subject. differences vary considerably between the two versions, but depend on the individual track; there is no constant variance throughout all tracks. the difference can be almost zero, but on another track may be quite noticeable

science
19th January 2004, 07:18 PM
Spunky, if theres one way to lose friends around here quick, it's by being cocky.
If there's another way to lose friends here, it's by being rude. You are being both right now.
Don't be cocky, and don't be rude.
Perfect laps are a dime a dozen around here, and if youre not hitting the airbrakes then you're either racing at too slow of a class or you don't know what you're doing. That sort of hubris will leave you feeling very embarassed later on. There are some very good pilots around here, as you will find out if you stick around long enough.

TYSON
19th January 2004, 08:31 PM
Lol,
I wouldn't brag with grand masters like Al Sartwell around! He'll probably play this track for 5 minutes a wipe everyone away!

16.0 is my best time, 1:23.2 race time (phantom). I intend to beat that, I i expect to see Al kick me! he he

Good luck everyone

:lol:

science
19th January 2004, 08:55 PM
16.0 is my best time
Australia is PAL, right?

infoxicated
19th January 2004, 08:56 PM
If there's something I've learned about Australians over the last few years, it's that they always spout this kind of **** and they always come across as arrogant and cocky.

I lived with two Aussies for a year and a half who done exactly that, and I had to accept that at the end of the day it's just in their nature. I believe there's psychological reasons of some sort - something to do with being at the arse end of the world and their country having a pretty grim history, so they have something to prove to the rest of the world. Either way, I found it's best to ignore the front they put on.

True, they're not all like that, but if we just ignore the ones who are it makes it less of a surprize when you come across an aussie who isn't an arrogant prick. :roll:

Spunky
19th January 2004, 11:32 PM
Well well well...
I guess posting something when your going after over 20 hours I guess that it would come across a little Rude and Cocky. For that I'm sorry.
Its a good way to get some posts going though.

Just a small Question then?
Are we using the Time site that you showed me infox (Wipeout XL) for times?

If so would it be possible to get those times transfered across because last time I checked we couldn't update to that site.

Perfect laps are a dime a dozen around here, and if youre not hitting the airbrakes then you're either racing at too slow of a class or you don't know what you're doing

I've been playing Wipeout since it came out and this particular course was at Phantom cruising on about 415 - 430 klicks using Piranha.
Though if we intend to use the other site which is posted above by infox then my time for that will have to improve.

But all that aside, I believe that I've come up with a challenge.
Lets fill up the empty 2097 not XL times chart!!

Spunky

Lance
20th January 2004, 04:14 AM
Clint, you were not shown that site by infox, but by me. that site is unrelated to WipeoutZone and has not been updated for years. nor is it likely that any of the pilots who posted those times are currently members of WZ. the times will not be transferred to WZ. i only directed your attention to it to show you that times similar to or possibly even better than those you posted had already been achieved years ago. i thought it would give you a more accurate frame of reference for your times

Spunky
20th January 2004, 04:19 AM
As I found out today.
I achieved my top score on my second lap.
So I will take back what I said about it being difficult to beat which I now believe the below 16's is very possible as long as you do it right.
Couldn't beat it though trying to hard and after 3 hours sleep it is understandable.

Spunky

Spunky
20th January 2004, 04:21 AM
So bout that Lance I got mixed up!

Spunky

Lance
20th January 2004, 05:00 AM
:) another thing that caused me to doubt the difficulty of approaching those times was my own limited experience of the XL version of the game. i've only done one time trial in it, vector class on talon's reach. my one 'racing' session, using a Qirex plus my sixty-year-old body and its sluglike reflexes [not to mention the sluglike reflexes of the Qirex], netted a lap at 34.3 and a racetime of 1:11.2. and i know that at least five to eight of the NTSC pilots here on WZ are notably faster than i am. so with more practice and a Piranha instead of a Qirex, i am certain that they will be many seconds faster than my pitiful time. i am expecting racetimes under 1 minute for this particular course and class.

it's amazing what a little competition from other pilots can do to racetimes; we can be sure that any of these early posted times on the new records tables are going to fall

Spunky
20th January 2004, 05:06 AM
I would never have placed someone of your years (no offence) as a web site moderator. Especcially of a game like Wipeout.
I guess these days anything is possible.

Yes I have noticed that you need expert reflexes to attain top notch times and a mind like a magnet to remember the course layout.

I've been playing against the Wipeout xl times that you showed me a couple of months back and I've almost broken most them.

Spunky

lunar
20th January 2004, 03:53 PM
Well I`d never played the piranha until the new site was put up, never bothering with it after I completed challenge 2, years back, and I have to say I think its going to be a lot closer at the top with 2097 than it is with wipeout3, perhaps with the top 5 pilots all within a couple of seconds on some circuits. What I mean is its much easier to get close to minimum times with piranha than icaras. I`m only a middling ability pilot but I know that with the time for practice and a bit of luck I could get close to Spunky`s times and even beat some of them. I could never be that confident with quality times on any track on wipeout 3. Basically piranha is much easier to get the best out of than Icaras IMO. Unlike with Icaras, its pretty easy to fly PLs with piranha, the main problem for me being the other ships putting me off line to go round them and then..... bang, wall-wallop.

Clint: this doesn`t mean I`m promising to beat you, or even worry you, but there are plenty of guys who will, if they decide to. I don`t look at the best 2097 times and feel a cold shiver of inadequacy, like when I look at the wipeout 3 tables.

There`s not really much opportunity for focussed practise in my house, the kind of house where controllers get destroyed by babies vomiting on them. That`s only my first excuse....

science
20th January 2004, 04:42 PM
There`s not really much opportunity for focussed practise in my house, the kind of house where controllers get destroyed by babies vomiting on them. That`s only my first excuse....
Well, it's a good one! I think I'll try that one with my homework next time I'm late on some code.

Lance
20th January 2004, 06:08 PM
the ''cold shiver of inadequacy''. !!! my constant companion and nightmare. [makes the ^warding off^ sign] ;)

Spunky
20th January 2004, 06:18 PM
Lance I don't even want to image what your implying there!

the ''cold shiver of inadequacy''. !!! my constant companion and nightmare. [makes the ^warding off^ sign

Yeah the current times are fairly easy to get, without other people posting theirs you just don't have a challenge to beat.
When the tables start heating up then it gets interesting.

Spunky

Lance
20th January 2004, 08:00 PM
t to bring rationality back into the world.

Clint, it's a purely literally accurate reference to my Wipeout piloting skills. or if you mean the ^warding off^ sign, that is merely both of one's index fingers crossed over each other and held before one's body as a protection agains evil.

and speaking of rationality, thank you, lunar, [damn, how ironic is that? i mean, lunacy versus rationality and such], thank you for using the doubled 's' in focussed and thereby helping to bring rationality to the English language. :D
with the usual stupid spelling [focused] it would be pronounced fo kyoozed [Qzd?]. crazy. [yes, i have sometimes been accused [ :D ] of persnickitiness about such things.]

</silliness> [but not permanently]

TYSON
20th January 2004, 08:30 PM
Hi Science,
Yeah I'm using PAL (2097) hope i'm not in trouble for stating my time there. Some people get extremely offended by that, it was just for reference as I'm very sure it will be beaten. God I hope i can get a 15 one day, it's so damn hard, you have to do a couple of laps to build up enough speed to even have a go at it!

Hi infox,
There's probably alot of truth to what your saying there about Aussies, I think what you'd find though if you lived here for a while was that we tend to much around with bragging alot, it's more of a cultural thing. We don't take any notice of each other doing it as we see the fun in it (someone brags - then someone beats them). When it comes to websites where many countries are posting comments though I agree with you that ALL members need to be more conservative when it comes to texting, I've had to relearn not to come across as a jerk, while if the convisation had taken place in real life, the person would have seen the big smile on my face & realised I was being sarcastic. I hardly think the smiley Emoticons potray this well enough.
What ever the reasoning we need to be thinking of what we write.

:wink:

Lance wrote:

another thing that caused me to doubt the difficulty of approaching those times was my own limited experience of the XL version of the game. i've only done one time trial in it, vector class on talon's reach. my one 'racing' session, using a Qirex plus my sixty-year-old body and its sluglike reflexes [not to mention the sluglike reflexes of the Qirex], netted a lap at 34.3 and a racetime of 1:11.2. and i know that at least five to eight of the NTSC pilots here on WZ are notably faster than i am. so with more practice and a Piranha instead of a Qirex, i am certain that they will be many seconds faster than my pitiful time. i am expecting racetimes under 1 minute for this particular course and class.

So your going to tackle the piranha! good luck, it's the scariest ship out of all the wipeout's, he he. Well i havn't played Wipeout Fusion... so there might be one in there that's better.

Lunar wrote:

I`m only a middling ability pilot but I know that with the time for practice and a bit of luck I could get close to Spunky`s times and even beat some of them. I could never be that confident with quality times on any track on wipeout 3. Basically piranha is much easier to get the best out of than Icaras IMO. Unlike with Icaras, its pretty easy to fly PLs with piranha, the main problem for me being the other ships putting me off line to go round them and then..... bang, wall-wallop

Yep, that's so true, there may even be ties between some of the top pilots (although i doubt Al won't sneak in front all the time!) That Piranha pushes the limits...

infact in vector and venom times, i'd say about 3 or 4 people will probably achieve a max out lap/race time. The best advice is to just stick to a track & play it to death, you'll always end up with a VERY cometitive time, this is why i like 2097 the most.

Thanks guys

infoxicated
20th January 2004, 09:22 PM
Great post, Tyson - it took me a long time to get used to the cultural differences, I have to admit.

Living for two years in London I was immersed in what is basically a microcosm of Aussie culture - if you get served in a bar in London you can bet the cash you're handing over that it'll be an australian serving you. Or a kiwi for that matter! I loved it - I'd always have lunch or nights' out in the Walkabout bars - I even watched the 2000 AFL grand final live at 3am in the morning in one, but my enthusiasm for that kind of thing was cut short because I just found that Aussie "confidence" a little grating after a while.

I'm not the kind of person who brags to any degree at all, I find it a really vile human trait, in fact. Now, I dont have any contact at all with the australian couple we shared a house with for all that time - mostly because of those "cultural differences". By the time we were due to move out I thought I was going to puke if I heard how great australia was one more time. :roll:

Ah well, just so we all know: Aussies - they don't really mean it!.

science
20th January 2004, 11:45 PM
Hi Science,
Yeah I'm using PAL (2097) hope i'm not in trouble for stating my time there. Some people get extremely offended by that, it was just for reference as I'm very sure it will be beaten.
No, no trouble at all, my post about your time was intended to rouse Spunky, that's all.

lunar
21st January 2004, 12:07 AM
So your going to tackle the piranha! good luck, it's the scariest ship out of all the wipeout's, he he. Well i havn't played Wipeout Fusion... so there might be one in there that's better.

well the zone ship in fusion is much scarier, you can`t slow it down. its like some fiendish murder plot, the accelerator fixed to the floor while the pilot goes off to his doom. its worth buying fusion for, even if the other ships suck and never go where you point them. you should give it a go... you might even beat your compatriot Oggob.

playing 2097 it seems that fusion was the sequel to that game, not wipeout 3. shame about the sucky ships and weird walls and lack of up/down control.

but nevermind we have 2097, which I didn`t get to play today.... dammit, and I see Spunky is moving on to Valparaiso now.....

Spunky
21st January 2004, 04:29 AM
well the zone ship in fusion is much scarier, you can`t slow it down. its like some fiendish murder plot, the accelerator fixed to the floor while the pilot goes off to his doom

Well said.
I've got Fusion and it just doesn't have the same 'feeling' as 2097 has around it.
The tunes, ships, courses just didn't turn out the right way.
But you are right with it looking like it was a sequel to 2097, look at the graphics for starters, same colors

dammit, and I see Spunky is moving on to Valparaiso now

Phentia Park now..

Spunky

Lance
21st January 2004, 02:58 PM
Tyson, actually i was talking about what the pilots who are hotter than i am will be able to do with Piranha. i haven't earned Piranha in the game yet; i have very little experience with the game and have only flown Piranha for a short time using a cheat just to see what it was like. i kept no records for it, and probably will not do so unless infox comes up with a way to show times for both the normal ships and Piranha.

____

i flew a Phenitia Park time trial for the first time last night. a very cool track. every once in a while, if i do it fairly close to correct, it feels almost as though the ship is flowing down the track in a smooth line. very nice design.

Spunky
21st January 2004, 06:22 PM
It would be good for all concerned that there is seperate sections for both.
Guess we will just have to wait.

I today was mucking around on Phenita Park (PP) Rapier and Phantom and it is juust getting so god damn hard to keep the damn ship on the course let alone beat the times that I'm aiming for.

But I'll keep plugging away, never know I be on my fav track tomorrow Gare' d Europa
Damn awesome track colors, just damn hard on anything higher than Vemon.

There`s not really much opportunity for focussed practise in my house, the kind of house where controllers get destroyed by babies vomiting on them

Ditto here
got a 18mth old who loves to 'HELP'

lunar
21st January 2004, 07:09 PM
fortunately it wasn`t my neg that got filled up with a torrent of half digested yoghourt - that would have been beyond tragic. :evil: it was just a ds2 :lol:

you got kids too! - just shows what a bunch of diehard oldies many wipeout fans are. I`ll be telling mine "games aren`t as good as they were in my day you know, there was this game called wipeout...." yeah shuddup.

I`ve done a bit of Spilskinanke with the Piranha - absolutely magical, like Manortop but a bit better. There is something special about a lot of the 2097 course design, which was lost a bit in wipeout 3, though that`s a deeper and overall better game. IMHO. :D

The courses aren`t so unrelentingly technical in 2097, they give you nice smooth descents like in Gare d`Europa and Spilskinanke, and there`s more pleasurable altitude changes overall, and feelgood smooth sections to give you a break after the tricky bits. I don`t know what it is really, but the track designer did a fantastic job.

Spunky
22nd January 2004, 12:08 AM
I must admit that doing Spilskinanke with the Piranha is something that shouldn't be taken lightly, though it is a beatiful track to play on with its hidden corners and graceful drops.

I would think that you will be fighting a lost cause telling them that games 'back then' were any good.

I'll get mine started on the Classics like Sonic etc Mega drive.

Back then it was all about the great gameplay and not about pushing out as many polys as possible.
You could aslo inimage what the environments would look like in reality, but now days the job is done for you.
I believe that this is a key part now missing out of all games currently and in the future, unless of course they ramp up the mutliplayer and gameplay side of things.

Lance
22nd January 2004, 01:25 AM
''courses aren`t so unrelentingly technical in 2097''

[thinks about Odessa Keys]
ai, yai, yai!

lunar
22nd January 2004, 02:34 AM
''courses aren`t so unrelentingly technical in 2097''

[thinks about Odessa Keys]
ai, yai, yai!

Odessa Keys.... yes indeed you have caught me out a bit there, but I stand by my statement :wink: . Hmm well its probably my least-liked track on 2097 just for the reason that it is a bit fiddly, and lacking in fun stuff. Its not very popular on the SE tables either.

Spunky: sonic 1 is just genius, superb gameplay and brilliant use of the technology of the time, much like wipeout 2097. Nowadays it seems maybe developers have so many possibilities that they don`t know where to go.

I find spilskinanke a bit easier than Gare d`Europa - I`ve never really got to grips with those nasty turns before the jump and I don`t believe I`ve ever flown them the same way twice.

I love the unlit dark tunnels of spilskinanke, when all you can see are the blue crosses of the ships ahead and you`re flying on memory mostly. It all adds to the hypnotic atmosphere of the game. Perhaps if they`d had better technology back then it wouldn`t have been so good, as they`d have cluttered the game up with junk you don`t need.

Spunky
22nd January 2004, 03:03 AM
Odessa Keys.........Spot on with that, just a pain in the butt to race.
Its just unrelenting with its bumpy course, the sudden drops and sharp corners.

Getting closer to a better time on Talons Reach today got 16.3 and 123.8.
Slowly does it.

The atmosphere around some of the tracks is ace.
[/quote]when all you can see are the blue crosses of the ships ahead

That and the pads on the floor showing you which way to go.

The blue, pink and yellow I think pads in the black tunnels just hinting at which way to go...pure class.

[/url]

JABBERJAW
22nd January 2004, 03:40 AM
Assayeah a while back said he got a 1:15.1 (14.8)with a d-pad which I found hard to believe at the time until I saw all of his times. They were somewhat close to my xl times down the board. He supposedly found a way to hit brake on the turbo pads and make the ship speed up. I tried this but to no avail.

Spunky
22nd January 2004, 05:58 AM
How r u going Zoolander?

I haven't heard from you before.
These guys have been praising you a lot around here.
But with the times that have been posted by you, you know what your talking about.

By the looks of things up until now it looks like 2097 hasn't had that much of a workout because of no tables to tally people, but now that we have this table to work with it will bring out the very best in people and the times will drop.

I wouldn't have thought that using tricks to gain good times would be an honest way to race, considering that people here work on the honour system.

With my eariler time of 16.8 I had been trying to break that ever since I got it, but to no avail, but then all a sudden with renewed vigour and some tight flying I've shaved a couple of seconds off it.
I could still do better though.

Spunky

TYSON
23rd January 2004, 04:43 AM
Al wrote:

Assayeah a while back said he got a 1:15.1 (14.8)with a d-pad which I found hard to believe at the time until I saw all of his times. They were somewhat close to my xl times down the board. He supposedly found a way to hit brake on the turbo pads and make the ship speed up. I tried this but to no avail, so I'm wondering if this is just fake or there are a few differences in the pal versions in different countries(or platinum vs regular)(he was from france)

Hi Al, sounds a bit fishy to me, if he gave you detailed instructions & you still couldn't do it, i'm sure your right when you say it may be related to the france version only. God forbid another different version!! argh!!!

So you got 15.6 on 2097! wow thats so amazing. I tried for ages just to get under 16, but I can't be bothered. What speed did you get upto? was it 500? i've never got upto that speed, the speed at that level would always put me off i think & that's why I only ended up with a 1:23.

lunar
23rd January 2004, 08:33 AM
Assayeah used to post a lot on the fusion board and he`s totally straight - he got over zone 70 on 9 of the 10 areas, something no-one else has done as far as I know, and which proves he has the skills.... so I think you should believe him. I can`t see any reason why a French version should be any different, they run at 25 fps too.

If you find a small feature in the speed pads to improve your times I can`t see anything wrong with that - its no worse than shortcutting or turbo scraping.

TYSON
23rd January 2004, 08:54 AM
Hi Lunar,
Well it's good to hear his word is good, but 14.8??? erm... that must be some damned good technique, looks like the scoreboard could be seperated by people who are able to pull this manouver off & who can't. I'm dissapointed if this turbo trick exists as I've always seen 2097 as the most un cheatable racer i've ever found, this is why it's my fav.

Al, can you please look into this and get back to everyone, I think it's pretty important to look into.

Where is this Assayeah? would be good to get him back here to help out.

lunar
23rd January 2004, 10:04 AM
he`s straight up, but as for his technique.... I can`t help you there. you and Al are waaaaay ahead of me :o

Spunky
24th January 2004, 09:26 AM
I would believe that tyson would be right with if it is possible, having a seperate section for people(countires) that can do this.
I will attempt this trick to see if it works on PAL Aussie version.

It would be intresting to see if it works.
Spunky

infoxicated
24th January 2004, 10:41 AM
I would believe that tyson would be right with if it is possible, having a seperate section for people(countires) that can do this.
No danger of that happening, mate - might as well have seperate sections for people who use NegCons, people who stick to the track, people who take shortcuts, people who cheat but don't admit it, people who cheat and do admit it, and people with blue hair.

I have blue hair at the moment (don't ask), so I thought I'd add that last one in. :D

Lance
24th January 2004, 01:57 PM
i don't know why, but the ''blue hair'' remark started me laughing like a crazed hyena.

-----

short of adding tables for the original WipEout, i can't see any purpose or validity for adding any more records tables at all.
any specialised competitions can be done as challenges in the ''Arena''. examples might be a WO3 Phantom class Feisar only challenge, or a Run Without Guns Auricom at Spilskinanke Trophy.

Spunky
24th January 2004, 03:41 PM
I have blue hair at the moment (don't ask),

I'll try not to!! heh heh blue hair heh heh

I would have to agree with both of you on those points.
Anything other than straight racing or time trials should be in the Arena.

I will be putting up my challenge soon I hope.

I want to get a feel for how many people would jump into it.
I want it to start in March, we would spend 1 week per difficultly per track to attain out best times.

Spunky

JABBERJAW
24th January 2004, 05:38 PM
I'm going to try the brake technique again

TYSON
24th January 2004, 10:29 PM
HA HA, well Done AL!! - I didn't realise you'd contacted him and requested a video. Twin Galaxies have to put up with ppl like this all the time. You might not go as far as to call him a liar Al, so allow me. You alone are the Grand master of Talons reach sub 15 is phony, especially as you just confirmed over 500 on the speedo doesn't happen... work it out...

Besides, what was the 'fishiest' about this claim to the top was the outrageous 1:15.1 race time. Remember racers, we start from a Dead still start, a turbo start hardly helps out for a good 1st lap time. As far as I know sub 16 laps are only possible after the 1st lap (please correct me if i'm wrong) and considering a race of 1:15.1 is an average lap of 15.0! I would have to say that a cyborg would have trouble pulling it off!

Video evidence, or no glory on this one, I don't belive it, & I don't think it should be taking any attention away from the outstanding performance of your 1:20.3 or what ever it was. That's a blinding time & I don't doubt it, cause I'm sure you wouldn't hesitate to show it on video.

Cheers

lunar
24th January 2004, 10:59 PM
Tyson, I just don`t think its fairplay to call someone a liar when he`s not here to defend himself, and hasn`t even made his claims in this space. Surely as far as we`re concerned the "world records" are what appear in the tables here, and it doesn`t really matter what other people have said anyway - it just goes in a category of "unproven," and the records are what we see within the context of the competition of the wipeoutzone tables. I just think its unjust to blacken someone`s name like that. Its possible he did it, especially as a method has been described by which he could have squeezed out a bit more speed.....

Al, I agree zone doesn`t make you necessarily good at 2097/XL, but Assayeah`s achievments in that, proven by the webcodes, also prove that he has great timing, reflexes, powers of concentration and an ability to deal with speed - all of which you need lots of to get the kind of times you and Tyson are getting. He clearly has the same sort of level of ability as you guys do. Its no coincidence you were one of the first to zone 100, its all part of the same thing, though I agree its not absolutely the same.

JABBERJAW
24th January 2004, 11:14 PM
useless dribble=edit

Spunky
25th January 2004, 03:00 AM
Al,
I would have to agree with you that getting 500 kph with a d-pad would be almost impossible.
I've got to 430 - 440 kph just after a turbo but a constant 415 - 420 kph until I crash that is.

I've been playing around with the max lock on the negcon and not to sure if it would make the lap times any better.
Do you guys do the same or do you leave it as standard.

lunar, you are right with that we shouldn't call someone a liar on account that something we haven't acheived yet, skeptical yes, lair no.

Spunky

lunar
25th January 2004, 09:39 AM
I`ve been using about a third of the maximum value on 3SE and 2097, which means 60 and 40 respectively, I think. I made 2097 sharper still, value 50, with decent results :wink: so I think I may need to go sharper on SE too, and possibly on 2097 again.

but of course you would rather know what Al and Tyson are using.

Spunky
25th January 2004, 09:56 AM
I used to be using the normal amount (90) on 2097 and still got good results.
As i have read in this thread people have been fine tuning their controllers for better turning, which I then tried with success on Rapier Talons reach beating my time by 3 secs.
So it works none the less, or was it just my times that were crap that any PL's would have beaten it.

Rapier TL - 118.0 , 19.1

lunar
25th January 2004, 10:59 AM
well I certainly wouldn`t describe your times that way. Some of my attempts to beat some of them though..... well deserving of that description.

My biggest problem on TR is that Feisar that parks by the pits at the end of lap 2, and the others that sit in the middle of the narrow section on laps 3 and 4. And of course if you hit them you not only lose time, but they quite often shoot you too. :evil: I suppose you have to learn where they are and find a new line, seeing as they do the same thing in every race.

twist setting might be less crucial on TR, but I think on courses like Gare d`Europa it would have to be pretty sensitive or you won`t make the turns. I wouldn`t really want to get into adjusting it track by track though.

Spunky
25th January 2004, 01:02 PM
You are talking about race times not time trial.
I have no doubt that they can be beaten.

Just out of curiosity which did you break class wise.
My times are only just behind my time trail ones though
Lap times within 1 sec Race time ranging from 2 - 12 secs.

At the moment I'm playing around to find just the right amount for most of the tracks.
But if you left it at normal you would get the more precise turning action that the negcon delivers, although it can be customised to suit.
Spunky

lunar
25th January 2004, 02:06 PM
I don`t have as much time to put into the game as I`d like, so I put all my efforts into doing race mode. I also prefer race because it gives you more to think about, though not so much with 2097/Piranha as 3SE/Icaras.

I beat TR and Sagarmatha - rapier. No doubt you can take them back, you`re a faster pilot than me. But you`ll have to watch your back in the future..... I might strike anytime, anywhere.... :wink: :D I equalled your TR time twice before I finally beat it - I kept hitting other ships. When I finally got there my heart was going about 500 beats per minute on the last lap. I love this game.

But I won`t post any more times for a bit - I want to get a decent line on the other tracks, rapier only, before I make a move up to phantom. :o

I know what you mean about losing a bit of the accurate steering if you make the neg too sensitive, but if its not sensitive enough I end up using the brakes too much to swing the nose round sharp bends.

TYSON
25th January 2004, 09:41 PM
Hi Guys,
Yeah it was a bit harsh the whole liar claim, I just get really agitated if that's the truth, but lets leave it open. I'd certainly love to learn how to acheive a sub 15 time!

I'm getting the impression that people (top pilots) use Negcons? Are these way better than D pads for getting the extreme times? I got my 1:23 using a D pad, & Al i think the best speed I've got with a D pad was 485, it seems to stick on this speed... can't remember seeing speeds much higher. Like I was trying to imply though, I CAN NOT see that a sub 15 second lap is possible without going over 500Km, & I'm certain that 2097 doesn't do this (without cheating anyway).

Al, what's the code you used for 2400Km? I might have a look for a laugh.

Maybe I should be learning to use a negcon after all...

Spunky
26th January 2004, 02:24 AM
No doubt you can take them back, you`re a faster pilot than me. But you`ll have to watch your back in the future..... I might strike anytime, anywhere....

I can only give it a go!!
At the moment I've been trying to achieve a sub 16 sec time on TL on TT but I've kept stuffing it up.
Might have to move on for a while and come back to it.

Maybe I should be learning to use a negcon after all
I have found that I couldn't achieve a time much better than about 19 secs a lap on TL on Phantom, but that was quite a while ago. You've got to use the air brakes to much to get around the corners.
I don't see why the speedo doesn't get over 500 I would have to say that it would display anything up the 999 if it was possible.

Spunky

Spunky
26th January 2004, 03:28 AM
You were right!
Check it out!!!
New race times for TL on Rapier

Spunky

lunar
26th January 2004, 08:13 AM
very nice time!! well done!

you must have had 4 good PLs, not hitting a single ship. It`ll take some beating. :o

I`ll need to raise my game a bit. And work out how you got an 18.4 lap.

thanks for the competition!! :D

Tyson, I`m sure you`d go faster with a negcon, you can easily stop yourself losing speed by bottoming out, and you can turn sharper without braking. Looking at your times I`d assumed you were using one.

Spunky
26th January 2004, 09:39 AM
Yes you are right I am using a negcon.
Having a bit competion makes all the difference.
Before a couple of weeks ago I hadn't played it for about a year now its at least a couple of times a week.
I renews the passion for the games having people to play against.
I just wish that I could get broadband and get onto On-line games with my PC and PS2 to make the games that much better once you have beaten them.
I love a little bit of competion to keep this fresh.

Spunky