PDA

View Full Version : jmoid's pronunceation challenge

jmoid
23rd February 2002, 02:27 PM
glad to see with the reales of wipeout fusion, the wipeout design team's commitment to inventing words with totally ambiguous pronunciation continues unabashed...

how do you pronounce these?

Xios
"zee-ose" (with the "o" sound as in "float")? "zee-oss"?

Tigron
"Teegron"? "Tie-gron"?

and the leagues aren't much better...
Themis
"theemis"? "themmis"?

Lapetus
"lap-eat-us"? "lappay-tus"?

Metis
"meat-iss"? "mettiz"? "the one miyama tsarong always wins"?

i mean what are they trying to do to us???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jmoid on 2002-02-23 15:33 ]</font>

Lance
23rd February 2002, 05:04 PM
all of those but Tigron appear to be based on names and concept words of mostly Greek, but partly Latin origin, from the Classical era. they just seem to be trying to come up with something that is simultaneously different from present day reality and different also from anything the other game designers use. ''Creating our own reality since 1995.''

Task
23rd February 2002, 07:06 PM
Xios: When an "X" is in front of a word, it's pronounced "Z". So it's pronounced "Zai-ose". You know, to rhyme with dextrose.

As usual, I work by English pronunciation. As long as the designers were thinking in English when they made these names, I should be pretty close. Lance wrote a dissertation on this topic somewhere else :smile:, where he went over why I think it's pronounced "Tie-gron" and others would think "Tee-gron".

I'm not too sure about the others ('cause I don't know much classical greek) but I do know that Metis is pronounced "May-tea". Canadian Indian tribe name, I do believe.

brokenvoice
23rd February 2002, 07:22 PM
For me it's xie-oss and tie-gron and each league is pronounced the-next-one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brokenvoice on 2002-02-23 20:23 ]</font>

Lance
23rd February 2002, 07:30 PM
but it isnt spelled xiose. :smile:

the most likely pronunciation is with a short o sound, which most english speakers latinize, which would make xios sound like zee us, with the accent on the first syllable.

metis is based on the latin root met which means to limit or measure. it has near exact equivalents in both Greek and Sanskrit. all three languages are descended from an earlier proto language called Indo-European. the pronunciation of metis is probably, but only approximately, may-tiss. the indian tribe name pronounced maytee sounds like a french-canadian way to say it, lacking only the accent aigu on the first 'e' to make its frenchness complete. :wink:

Confusion
24th February 2002, 11:39 AM
I don't care I like "ZzI-oSS" better.

"Tie-Gron" sounds better than "tig-gron" IMHO.

And I pronounce Icarus "I-Car-Rus" simply because it sounds way cooler than "Ic-r-us".

Lance
24th February 2002, 02:43 PM
i actually say zee os, like zee oss with less hissing. :wink: accent on the first syllable. but all of this is just a personal preference thing. we can say those names anyway we want unless we know how their originator pronounces them and want to honour his wishes. [discovers that he has made an assumption about the gender and number of the name makers]

brokenvoice
24th February 2002, 02:44 PM
Lance, you cunning linguist you! :smile:

AmishRobot
24th February 2002, 06:33 PM
'cunning linguist', eh? Say that five times fast and see what you come up with...

Oh my. :roll:

Lance
24th February 2002, 08:23 PM
you wouldnt catch me doing that; i'd prefer a higher fellow ratio.
:roll:

:reddevil

i could do with some linguini right now, though. i'm starvin. i had some great green chili enchiladas last night.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lance on 2002-02-24 21:33 ]</font>

Wamdue
24th February 2002, 09:13 PM
Ekzi-ohs.. maybe its cause im swedish eh? :wink:

science
25th February 2002, 05:48 AM
Xios
zie-oss

Tigron
Tie-gron

Themis
thee-mis

Lapetus
lah-pay-tus

Metis
not sure on this one, but to go with the flow of the rest of the names i would have to say "may-tiss" or "meh-tiss"

actually, looking back over these, im just not 100% on any of them. im sure theres a theme to how they all sound, and once you know a couple of the longer ones, the rest make sense too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: science on 2002-02-26 22:03 ]</font>

shunter
26th February 2002, 04:47 PM
I agree with science.
mind-reader

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: shunter on 2002-02-26 17:48 ]</font>

Lance
26th February 2002, 07:15 PM
but joel, in that case, wouldnt you have to say La-peet-us?

science
26th February 2002, 09:00 PM
typo. fixed.
thanks lance :wink:

Bob Todd
27th February 2002, 04:20 PM
Xios - ZEYE-oss

Tigron - TEYE-gron

Themis - THEMM-is

Lapetus - lap-EAT-us (I prounouce it like the Latin 'tapetum')

Metis - MEAT-iss.

rhys
31st March 2002, 01:07 PM
this is how i pronounce all of the team names!

fie-sar
van u ber
G-tek
ou-ri-com (as in pour)
E G R
Tie-gron
Zie-os
pirana

8)

Just my opinion!

Anastasia
1st April 2002, 02:20 AM
I pronounce Xios as ZEE-oss and Tigron as TIG-ron.

As for the Leagues:

Themis = THEME-iss
Metis = MEET-iss
Lapetus = LAP-e-tus

I think this makes the best sense IMHO

Ana :)