PDA

View Full Version : So - I've moved house recently and guess what I found.......

Nick Burcombe
16th January 2004, 04:14 PM
.....The original Wipeout Design Document. Dated April 1995 I think. And an updated one from October 1995. It's fairly naive and very short - about 20 pages, but it was quite cool reading through it again; it made my chuckle. I wonder if Sony would give me permission to post a scan of the pages here. Hmmm. Foxxy? You're at Sony aren't you? I wonder if you could find out the email address for someone at the head of the legal department.

Nick B

Lance
16th January 2004, 05:33 PM
i sure would love having them posted here. what a great find, Nick!

Roger
16th January 2004, 05:38 PM
Newsflash: Ancient scrolls of wisdom discovered
"I knew they were in there, somewhere" says archeologist
(Film at eleven...) :D

Seriously, though: what a find! Hope you can get permission to post scans. It'd be very interesting to see them!

Glockster0
16th January 2004, 10:11 PM
I Second That As Well Would Be Sweet !

stin
16th January 2004, 10:20 PM
WOW! what a great find!!!! It would be great for us to see it but we will wait and see....(hopefully)

stin :)

PS fingers crossed

Hybrid Divide
16th January 2004, 10:35 PM
*hopehopehopehopehopehope*
I definately have my fingers crossed! :D

science
17th January 2004, 01:40 AM
i concur.
i would very much like to read that.

Wiseman
17th January 2004, 08:01 AM
*anticipation is rising to critcial levels*

(and to think, I just read that!)

:lol:

Zippy
17th January 2004, 01:14 PM
Hmm - I could probably dig out some WO3 related stuff as well if the legalities issue is cleared.

Probably the most interesting aspect is the brainstorming/concept doc with the dev team comments - the actual game design was fairly minimal and straightforward.

Lance
17th January 2004, 02:59 PM
okay, i have to be the one to ask [oo, an ''official'' inquest. cool] . Zippy, what's your real name [ i think i know already, but it seems more polite to ask instead of assume ] and position in the development team and were you already a member but have now registered under a new name? and... uh... i'll think of something else later. of course you do not have to answer. this text will self-destruct in 5 milliseconds.

infoxicated
17th January 2004, 03:13 PM
Good find, Nick - I'll try to find out who can give permission on Monday :)

Zippy
17th January 2004, 07:33 PM
Ah yes - well Zippy is Wayne Imlach. I was the lead designer on WO3.

I registered on the site a while back, but forgot my details (including which email address I was registered at). So re-registered.

Actually, just digging through my archives I notice I have a version of the design doc for 2097 - would you like me to send you a copy for your records Nick?

Lance
18th January 2004, 02:32 AM
Wayne Imlach, sir, bless you. fine work. i love that game.
Howdy :D

jmoid
18th January 2004, 03:55 PM
Yeah I second that. Actually I third it too.

I really want to see all these design documents.

TYSON
18th January 2004, 08:38 PM
Cool, original stuff...
hope we can take a look at that!
:lol:

Wamdue
18th January 2004, 11:21 PM
It would be fantastic to read them, indeed.. I really really hope Sony approves this. It would be like a late xmas present and a very good one too.

Nick Burcombe
19th January 2004, 08:35 AM
Wayne Imlach! Excellent - how ya doin?

Yeah - it'd be great to post that stuff up here.

infoxicated
23rd January 2004, 09:41 AM
Nick, I'll mail you about this - looks like there could be a stumbling block if you post them.

yuusen
24th January 2004, 06:44 PM

what an honour to be able to communicate with two such great designers.
nick and wayne : thanks!!! :D

¥

Hybrid Divide
27th January 2004, 05:45 AM
What's the story, guys?

Mano
29th March 2004, 11:04 PM
I just remembered this post and was wondering if something positive resulted checking the legal issues... probably not as the topic is forgotten but nevertheless its always good to ask. It would be great to see those documents.

DaMiGi63
30th March 2004, 05:08 AM
kinda new to this site,I also post in the wipout fusion F9000 ANTI-GRAVITY RACING forums also,whats up with the docs...?,anyone know,I concur that it would definately be a treat to see those posted

Hybrid Divide
28th August 2004, 08:06 AM
Any news on this?

I'm sure we'd all really like to read these sometime. :?

piranha wiper
28th August 2004, 02:30 PM
as a huge fan of the original wipeout it would be a great pleasure to these docs, i would pay alot for them, even though they wouldnt be for sale :cry: copyright issues and other complicated stuff would be preventing me from it i bet,

yuusen said
what an honour to be able to communicate with two such great designers.
damn right! :D

ACE-FLO
6th September 2009, 03:47 AM
Ok, 5 years on.

Rob, is there no way we can get a looksie at these rare, exclusive, jealously guarded and most wanted documents?

btw, I looked up the credits in Pulse out of boredom, and found you amongst the peeps who made the game. Go Mr Infoxx - full respect to you! Surely you can twist an arm or two, and get us those documents! Please? :)

billychanxtr33m
6th September 2009, 03:39 PM
shouldnt that stuff be public demain yet?

Lance
6th September 2009, 04:03 PM
For a franchise that's still active, it seems very unlikely that even the earliest documents would be declared public domain, although I certainly wish these were.

abukii
6th September 2009, 04:20 PM
What a shame. I guess we can all understand.

LoL...I bet they look like my concept design on WipEout TT :rock

Thats joking, of course. Mine are horrendous hand-written, out of context scribbles covering a lot of pages :nod

Lance
6th September 2009, 04:27 PM
Nick and Jim conceived the game whilst drinking in a pub, so it may be that the initial concepts got scribbled a bit loosely at first.

abukii
6th September 2009, 04:57 PM
Read: My kind of devs:beer

Ive worked on a project in Denver Colorado a few years back pretty blitzed 99% of the time. The way I see it, is if your brain is going to ache anyway...well, you get the point LoL

At any rate, Id love to see the designs, but now (more than ever) understand the restrictions involved.

billychanxtr33m
6th September 2009, 06:05 PM
twas a joke teehee :beer

Lance
6th September 2009, 09:33 PM
}prolonged laughter{ =

ACE-FLO
7th September 2009, 01:06 PM
Nick and Jim conceived the game whilst drinking in a pub, so it may be that the initial concepts got scribbled a bit loosely at first.

Don't care - adds to their charm/appeal.... We are loyal to this franchise and I think we deserve a looksie. And what's the big deal anyway? It's not like these docs are top secret govt files, or as if the game is still in its concept stages is it? sheesh!

Some people get too protective over their stuff! And I wanna see these early 'scribbles'

Lance
7th September 2009, 04:31 PM
I don't think that what Nick found was the original scribbles, but rather the more organised official 'road map' for development of the game, used by the team as a guide for what needed doing, what things to design and program.

ACE-FLO
7th September 2009, 04:35 PM
JUst as good if not better imo... why the secrecy though - seriously? the game got developed and is multiplatformed already... established.

And now, we want the historical project development data.

Ok ok ok ok - I know I'm a pushy git. sorry lol :)

lunar
7th September 2009, 08:42 PM
I`d love to see it too :( Can`t see what harm it would do to publish it here, really, as it`s surely just a museum piece now and of no commercial value to anyone.

I would just like to know what inspired such a beautiful handling model that the first game has and which lasted a fair while. Studio Liverpool really had a beautiful sense of vehicle weight and momentum in those days and it carried on through the somewhat under-rated F1 games. I`d love to know where that vehicle handling inspiration came from in Wipeout 1, because it was that handling which originally made Wipeout so superior to the likes of F-Zero, imho. I`d also like to know if Wipeout 1 was tested and designed for negcon control, as much as anything.

I missed this thread originally somehow - thanks Nick for the idea anyway!