PDA

View Full Version : The definitive list of differences between WO3 and WO3:SE

seek
10th January 2004, 10:54 PM
I need a little help compiling a list of differences between WO3 and WO3:SE. As far as I know WO3:SE has the following things, which the regular edition does not :-

(edit : this is the updated version of the list)

01 - 8 extra "classic" tracks (3 from WO1 and 5 from WO2097/XL)
02 - 2 tracks from the Japanese version of WO3
03 - AI bugfixes
04 - Enhanced game physics
05 - Assegai craft upgraded (speed +1)
06 - Icaras craft upgraded (handling +1)
07 - "next race" option after gaining a gold
08 - Auto-load of saved data on game start
09 - Brighter visibility in tunnels
10 - Certain "invisible walls" removed
11 - Larger text size on the menu screens
12 - Numeric characters available for player name entry
13 - Shadows under the AI craft
14 - Perfect lap indicators (a red "P" next to a lap time)
15 - Console link-up feature (without having to enter a code)
16 - NegCon replay bug fixed
17 - Weapon pads grey-out for a second after use (in W3O you had to judge for yourself if they were active)
18 - Different system for unlocking the tracks/craft.
19 - SE asks you to confirm if you want to overwrite your saved game. W3O just goes ahead and overwrites your data
20 - Slightly enhanced graphics on the four standard prototype tracks

Post here if you know of anything missing or incorrect.

Zippy
11th January 2004, 12:46 AM
wip3out:SE has a shadow under the AI craft (missing from wip3out)

I'm sure contrails (wind trails) featured in the original wip3out

Just checked - contrails are indeed in WO3 - though I only looked at the PAL version.

FoxZero
11th January 2004, 02:42 AM
contrails dont show up in the us wo3. i think it was a bug, check out the scott naylor interview.

Wiseman
11th January 2004, 08:04 AM
02 - 2 extra prototype tracks
03 - 2 tracks from the Japanese version of WO3I thought these two were the same, the 2 Japanese tracks are the 2 extra prototype tracks.

Zippy
11th January 2004, 12:03 PM
The AI (difficulty curve) was 'fixed' for each race WO3:SE - there was a bug in the original game that meant the difficulty settings where slightly off, which is why Sampa Run was quite difficult to win even though it was only the 3rd circuit in the game.

seek
11th January 2004, 01:12 PM
I think I read somewhere (possibly this forum) that there was a change in the player name entry. Did WO3 not have numbers or something?

Zippy
11th January 2004, 01:39 PM
Correct - the special edition has numeric characters in addition to the standard alphabet.

seek
11th January 2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks to those who have helped so far.

seek
12th January 2004, 11:44 PM
Also, I have read that the "Assegai" craft has been upgraded for SE, and that certain invisible walls have been removed.

Either of these true?

Task
12th January 2004, 11:49 PM
Indeed, it is true. Assegai speed was improved by 1 and Icaras handling was improved by 1. And invisible walls were removed. If you do a search through the forum, you might even find the topic wherein these things were revealed... Direct suggestions from Al to the development crew.

seek
13th January 2004, 12:17 PM
edit : see updated list in first post

Task
13th January 2004, 04:21 PM
I'll bet that you're not looking at this:
http://pub4.ezboard.com/fwip3outpilotsassociationbbswipeout3specialedition .showMessage?topicID=83.topic
There. Everything you could want to know. 8 )

science
16th January 2004, 03:31 AM
HEY!
There's the old forum archives! I guess I'll bookmark that.
Infox, how come we dont have a link to the archives buried somewhere deep in the site anymore? (or am i missing it?)

Task
16th January 2004, 04:57 AM
We do. You're missing it. It's here:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/linkzone.php
Look under "forums"

science
17th January 2004, 01:59 AM
That figures.
I'm quite adept at overlooking stuff.

TYSON
18th January 2004, 09:11 PM
Yep the list is about right.
For those wanting to know about the "Mystery Crafts" with speeds of TEN!!! they are only present on the 2 extra Prototype tracks, apparently these two tracks also appear on the Japanese version of Wipeout 3.

I call these two the proto Gran Prix tracks, as they both have GP in the title as follows...

LS105/GP02
LS106/GP73

ALL CRAFT's have the following stats:

Thrust: 3
Speed 10 !!!
Shield: 3
Handling 3

And all crafts in these two Gran Prix tracks have the same UFO looking shape.

Hope this helps cure your curiosities
:wink:

seek
20th January 2004, 10:48 PM
Here's a few more things I noticed today...

1) The weapon pads grey-out on SE after oponents fly over them. This does not happen on Wo3. In Wo3 You have to judge yourself wether or not a weapon pad is active.

2) SE has a different (and in my opinion far superior) system for unlocking the tracks/craft.

3) SE asks you to confirm if you want to overwrite your saved game. The regular edition just goes ahead and overwrites your data.

djb
21st January 2004, 08:36 PM
wip3out s.e. has the negcon replay bug fixed, in the original, with certain button assignations, th craft would turn on the spot with no forward motion during replay, this was fixed for s.e. :wink:

science
21st January 2004, 10:21 PM
This thread is making me sick. It's just not fair. I want it, and I can't have it!
I'll make it known right now, If ever I make my way over to the UK again, I'm crashing someones house just for a chance to play. No, seriously, next time I travel abroad that is one of the items on my 'things to do and see' list.

seek
21st January 2004, 10:34 PM
This thread is making me sick. It's just not fair. I want it, and I can't have it!
So it should. IMO Wo3:SE is a far superior game.
Cosmetic changes aside, the real difference is this - in Wo3 you drive the AG craft. In Wo3:SE you FLY the AG craft.

djb
2nd February 2004, 05:50 PM
did wip3out have the flip tracks option like s.e?, i cant remember! :)

Shem
2nd February 2004, 08:35 PM
uhmmm....nope.. :) it didn't.

dice
7th August 2004, 06:31 PM
sorry if this sounds stupid but how do you unlock the 8 extra "classic" tracks in this game? I'm a big wipeout fan and I really want to see how they look with the updated graphics and extra ships.

G'Kyl
7th August 2004, 07:28 PM
Sorry to break the bad news on you like that ;), but the classics tracks are only available in the Special Edition of WO3. There is no way to see them in the standard WO3.

Ben

Lance
7th August 2004, 08:43 PM
maybe SE is the ''this game'' he was referring to? what are the probabilities? ;) :)
anyway, hi dice, welcome to the WipeoutZone

[offtopic} Ben, have you been playing any of the 2097/XL tracks lately? i've slacked off, and right now i only have one challenge from stevie (and whAt a challenge! a fantastic Sagarmatha laptime. i haven't been able to touch it.)]

G'Kyl
8th August 2004, 09:15 AM
Yeeea, but then you don't have to unlock all 8 classic tracks in SE, so I thought" he "CAN'T be talking about SE". :)

Naw, I have hardly played anything lately, since I am trying to finish that research paper I've been working on. . If there is a challengen, though, I think I'd be up for it. :) What's it about?

Ben

Lance
8th August 2004, 10:58 PM
i didn't have any challenge in mind; i was just hoping someone's new hot times would get me racing on a track i've not done lately and give me a goal, a target, a running duck :D

dice
9th August 2004, 03:37 PM
Sorry to break the bad news on you like that ;), but the classics tracks are only available in the Special Edition of WO3. There is no way to see them in the standard WO3.

Ben
I knew that but it seems as though the shop I got this from didn't know and probably mixed up the disks. I was suspicious at first but things seemed ok until I couldn't find those extra tracks. Just to confirm things did the prototype tracks also appear in the original wip3out game?

@ Lance - thanks for the warm welcome :)

G'Kyl
9th August 2004, 05:10 PM
I knew that but it seems as though the shop I got this from didn't know and probably mixed up the disks. I was suspicious at first but things seemed ok until I couldn't find those extra tracks. Just to confirm things did the prototype tracks also appear in the original wip3out game?

I'm sorry then. I didn't know what you were aiming at with your question.

Yes, there are prototype tracks in WO3, WO3SE simply got a few extra ones as well.
And regarding the classic tracks: In SE there should be four of the eight classic tracks available when you first start the game. Unlocking the other four works the same way it does for the remaining four standard WO3 tracks.

@ Lance - thanks for the warm welcome :)

Oh, and one from me as well. :) I must have overlooked that.

Ben

dice
10th August 2004, 02:04 PM
ah thanks for everything g'kyl :D

science
17th August 2004, 01:22 AM
...all of the pilots in SE have tails and furry feet like little anti-gravity monkeys, whereas the WO3 pilots do not (not a feature that you're likely to notice without digging deep in the instruction manuals). Surprised noone threw that one in yet...

Shem
17th August 2004, 08:02 AM
Finally someone who noticed that....

stin
17th August 2004, 04:47 PM
Just shows you who is this guy is soo obsessed!!! :wink:

stevie :D

piranha wiper
28th August 2004, 03:12 PM
ive been watching this topic for a while now (i also know what half of this stuff means) and something has got to me, this new enhanced ag craft handling, is this the bit were the craft stays the same distance from the ground at all times? if it is then thats crap i want to have to control everything about my craft, pitch and yaw, i was gutted wen that happened was like having auto pilot on :evil: and the brighter tunnels thing, i liked it dark (and im sure of you think this as well,) it gave me a feeling of being in a tunnel, final thing whats this about little ag monkey pilots :lol: ! i looked and i cant find anything,

Asayyeah
28th August 2004, 03:55 PM
For your first question, Piranha wiper, by pitching up & down you change the distance from the ground in SE and W3O and that's great, but in Fusion you can't: it's the biggest 'crappy thing' with his ' glue handling stick to the track'.
I agree with you in SE we have lost the darkness inside tunnels and it's a shame.

Foxdragon
2nd September 2004, 01:08 PM
...all of the pilots in SE have tails and furry feet like little anti-gravity monkeys, whereas the WO3 pilots do not (not a feature that you're likely to notice without digging deep in the instruction manuals). Surprised noone threw that one in yet...

Space monkey's...ready to be shot into space.

Rapier Racer
9th September 2004, 10:19 PM
did wip3out have the flip tracks option like s.e?, i cant remember! :)

what this flip tracks option I cant find it anywhere

infoxicated
10th September 2004, 10:58 AM
You have to complete a good portion of the game to open it up.

It was in Wipeout 3, but you had to enter a player name cheat to unlock it, kind of thing.

Rapier Racer
10th September 2004, 01:00 PM
I see, so it looks like i'll have to play at rapier class after all

Mobius
10th September 2004, 02:48 PM
n00b question alert!!!!!

what are flip tracks?

Lance
10th September 2004, 03:32 PM
echo.
flip tracks?
available only by code?
what are they?
what is the code?
must have
must try
possible new fun

infoxicated
10th September 2004, 04:03 PM
Okay, I might have been wrong with this - after doing a little digging I cant get a definite answer on whether Wipeout 3 had the mirrored "flip" tracks.

Sorry for the bum steer.

In Wipeout 3 SE it's in options->game setup->flip tracks as a toggle switch.

Lance
11th September 2004, 12:21 AM
darn

oh, well

no prob

UncleZeiv
14th September 2004, 04:16 PM
in SE we have lost the darkness inside tunnels and it's a shame.

Well, they are not *that* bright!! :wink:

... and talking about differences, the intro movie features SE cover, just pasted there in a sh**ty way, if you ask me :)

Rapier Racer
14th September 2004, 09:54 PM
wipeout 3 had the cover flashy upy thing as well, I like it, it flashed in time with the music

Rapier Racer
17th September 2004, 12:32 PM
Ok so now I have Rapier gold on all tracks in the wip3out league and still no flip tracks option, are you telling me you need to complete Phantom??!!!! 8O

infoxicated
17th September 2004, 01:02 PM
Dunno... don't think so... maybe it has something to do with opening up the challenges as well?

G'Kyl
17th September 2004, 02:25 PM
Hehe, for how much longer do you think "Assegai Developments" is going to play his heart out until he realizes what REALLY unlocks the tracks? ;-)

Err...just kidding. I have no idea how to get flip tracks. *g*
Reminds me though, that I still have to finish W3OSE in the first place. Maybe I'll just continue doing this "winning the same races over and over again" after I'll have finished Redshift (where I'll be at 100% this very night!).

By the way, do I have to finish all challenge races in SE with a gold medal in order to unlock everything or is "just a medal" good enough?

Ben

UncleZeiv
17th September 2004, 03:04 PM
As far as I recall, wo3se is demanding; you need all golds to unlock things, and, as far as I remember, you need to complete phantom to unlock flip tracks. I'm not sure, though

_dave_

Rapier Racer
19th September 2004, 08:54 PM
After I abstained one complete row of gold medals in Phantom class, the little person form the 321 go screen came up waving a flag at me what was she saying??

infoxicated
19th September 2004, 11:07 PM
She's telling you that you're great, and you've completed the game!

I kind of missed it too, when I done it - I had the volume down and I just didn't hear what she said. There are cheats you can put in to see the movie again, but I don't remember what they are.

Rapier Racer
20th September 2004, 12:36 AM
yes I has the volume down aswell as time was getting on *taps watch* well thats nice of here to tell me I'm great, I may disagree with her though :?

piranha wiper
20th September 2004, 04:19 PM
ok so the flip tracks wernt there before on w3o and after alot of clicking and dull beeping to find i in the menu selection bit its definatley a fight for it but do i really have to go through all those classes to get it without cheating? the crafts have an extra specification, they now have handling added and the manual itself is easier to read, or is my w3o manual a bit sun glazed

er the last 2 posts look familiar the bit with the talking woman saying things, or is it dajavou?

Rapier Racer
21st September 2004, 08:41 PM
Finally I've got the flip tracks option *insert celebration song here* took me ages to get those last two golds with that 3000 tonne craft, I didn't think it would reverse the classic tracks as well though, definately worth the effort :D

infoxicated
21st September 2004, 09:37 PM
Well done... cant say I play them much myself... and don't anyone even dare ask for seperate time tables for them! :lol:

Rapier Racer
21st September 2004, 10:14 PM
Yeah I was wondering about this, the track records are the same for normal and flip, do you agree with this? When I flip a track it feels totaly different.....meh it's still the same track I suppose

piranha wiper
21st September 2004, 10:31 PM
assegai developments wrote
meh it's still the same track I suppose yes and no, its the same track in itself but the corners are different and the pitches in the hieght are different so its a totlly different track if you know what i mean :?

DuraFlex
30th December 2004, 05:28 PM
Is there any place where i can find the names, some info or maybe even screens of the remade classic tracks?

I didnt buy this edition because i thought it was just a simple remake en i allready owned wip3out, but since I crashed into this board I know better.

I'm planning to buy this game, but it sounds like its hard to find. Any hints? Well, I'm gonno check the local game mania, maybe its still available over there.

Ow yeah, is it possible to use the saves from wip3out in the special edition? I'll unlock everything anyway, but it would be nice to know :).

thx and greetz

Axel
31st December 2004, 12:05 AM
goi to amazon.co.uk and search for wipeout 3 special edition. there are three copies. Got mine today!!! YAY and the game kics ass. WO64 still reigns supreme!! Now I just need to find a old mem card.

DuraFlex
31st December 2004, 02:20 PM
Well, i looked at the game mania today and it wasnt there as i expected so amazon it is ...

thx 4 the tip :D

2SU
31st December 2004, 09:03 PM
I didn't know there was a reverse track dubbery-wotsit in SE 8O; evidently I haven't played it enough. I'll have to get back into it.

faB
16th January 2005, 04:21 PM
yes and no, its the same track in itself but the corners are different and the pitches in the hieght are different so its a totlly different track if you know what i mean

It's very different actually, because I think last time I checked, the power pads and speed pads do NOT mirror with the track.

Rapier Racer
16th January 2005, 07:29 PM
I just noticed after fiddling with the options that on 3 SE when you turn off weapons (crap!!!!) the weapons pads disappear from the track altogether but on normal WO 3 they remain on the track and just stay grey, it looks strange where you would normally get a weapons pad in the middle of two speed up pads you go over them knowing something should be there

DuraFlex
18th January 2005, 09:07 AM
YES!!! I got mine today, although its the double pack with DD2 I think its still worth it.

I first tried Altima VII, my favourite track from wipeout, very cool on the new engine.

Few details I maybe missed in the previous posts, but the crafts look slightly more detailed and there now is a different 'bleep" when you finish.

For those who are still searching and dont mind about buying the double pack, I bought mine on http://www.azzur.de . For me it was the best solution since I dont have a creditcard. They also ship to other countries (Belgium for me so ... ).

Ow yeah, you should know the manual/cover/ect is in german, but I didnt mind.

Sausehuhn
18th January 2005, 03:06 PM
hehe,
I also get it in german, but that's no problem for me :mrgreen:

You can change the language in the game, that's the main ting! And you do not need an english booklet to understand the game...

G'Kyl
18th January 2005, 03:17 PM
You can change the language in the game, that's the main ting!

Hehe, yep! I dislike most of the dubbing in games or movies, but they always keep the English in racing games. Which is good. ;)

DuraFlex
18th January 2005, 03:39 PM
Yes, game itself is in english offcourse. Manual is mostly the same as wipeout 3 and I also got that one (in english yes) so no problem there. Only the "2 spiele" on the front looks kinda absurd between my other games.

Doesnt mather anyway cause I'm beginning to understand why this game is "the best in the series". Wipeout 3 allready was more then great, but the extra features in SE just make it close to perfect.

seek
26th February 2005, 01:02 AM
Just updated the list (see first post).

zargz
26th February 2005, 08:29 AM
well in wo3 the cloack did same work as the shield(not sure if protected agains mines though).
in SE it's fixed > you lose energy if you crash in the walls!

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

G'Kyl
26th February 2005, 08:48 AM
From the original list:
17 - "Flip Tracks" option available by default from start.

Did I go blind without noticing? I never found this option, where is it?

And one more thing. It's not so much a difference between 3 and 3SE as it is a nuance between 3 NTSC and any PAL release of WO3. In the PAL versions, the clock only counts in increments of 4 hundredths of a second, whereas Americans get a counter with no gaps.

Ben

zargz
26th February 2005, 09:01 AM
two hundredths! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/le.gif

G'Kyl
26th February 2005, 10:56 AM
Nope. Four. :)

zargz
26th February 2005, 11:03 AM
ok prehaps something with counting but you can get .02 .04 .06 .08 sec 8)

Asayyeah
26th February 2005, 11:51 AM
but you can get .02 .04 .06 .08 sec 8)
False ; it must be a valid multiple of 4 hundreth : 0.04 / 0.08 / 0.12 / 0.16 / 0.20 / 0.24....
as Ben said above. :wink:

zargz
26th February 2005, 12:04 PM
8O !!! $h*te!

Rapier Racer
26th February 2005, 12:07 PM
From the original list:

it's not there from the start. you have to get 4 tables full of gold in the WO 3 league then it magically appears

G'Kyl
26th February 2005, 12:51 PM
Oh good. So I am not insane...yet...yes? ;) Well, I never completed all WO3 tables. Started with WO3 and had the golds for three, I think, tables and am now subsequently working my way through all 3SE races. Whaaaat a waste of time it is. ;) No really. WO3 takes too long to complete. But that's old news, let's leave it at that. :)

Ben

seek
26th February 2005, 01:47 PM
From the original list:

Perhaps it is only available in the NTSC version or something?
Either way, I've removed it from the list because I'm only concerned with the PAL versions (and it was incorrect anyway).

Rapier Racer
26th February 2005, 02:29 PM
There is no NTSC version of WO 3 SE, if that’s the game you were referring to

seek
26th February 2005, 02:41 PM
No, of course there isn't an NTSC version. Just a moment of forgetfulness. :oops:

So regarding the flip tracks, am I right in assuming they were not available at all in WO3, but they are available in SE once you have completed everything in the WO3 league?

Mobius
27th February 2005, 12:34 PM
I would guess so.

I've noticed all sound effects now echo while you are in a tunnel section - like in 2097.

From what i remember it wasnt wip3out but in SE.

Dimension
20th March 2005, 08:17 AM
Nice list, but let us not forget SE's magical ability to send the wuss wagon after you when you crash side on (for example, corner 1 on Gare D Europa) and is it me or do you recieve more damage from crashes in SE? I always seem to struggle to finish a TT race with sparing use of hyper thrust, maybe the Qirex just doesn't do what it's supposed to in SE. In the term "enhanced physics" do you include crashes not slowing you down properly? In SE it seems you can continue from a slight crash at nearly full speed, rather annoying feature to be honest. Oh and on the AI thing, it always seems the lead ship manages to pull several seconds away from the rest before you get to the front, it's also always very difficult to pass and leave behind you <-- the reason I gave up on SE's single races :?

seek
21st March 2005, 01:10 AM
By enhanced physics I am simply refering to the ability to fly much higher than was possible in WO3. It's also generally easier to gain altitude on smaller jumps.
Lets not look too much into it eh, this isn't a scientific study! I started this thread simply as a guide for those who wish to know why it's worth getting WO3:SE despite already owning WO3. ;)

edit by Lance: Quotation eliminated!

Dimension
21st March 2005, 02:10 AM
heh, I dunno what you really need the list for, simple as this for me: 8 new tracks! :D I'll personally continue flying W3O for the original tracks since I prefer the physics, as noted because of the less forgiving crashing (and flying pirhana in W3O makes more sense seeing as it isn't completely outshone by the Assegai like in SE) but each to their own, I didn't see much difference in the actual floatiness, though they do take off nicely, as you say, oh and for your list, how's about the top speed thing? Might have been some kind of error in W3O but the highest it ever displayed was a little over 200, in SE it will go to over 1100 in places, seems like a definite correction to me :)

seek
23rd March 2005, 01:39 AM
Oh I never even noticed that speed thing before. I'll take a look next time I play. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

And personally I don't think Assegai outshines Piranha in SE. I'd much rather pilot the Piranha. You only have to blow on the Assegai and you hear "sheild energy low"!

Rapier Racer
23rd March 2005, 08:30 AM
*cough* It has the same shield rating as Piranha

Dimension
23rd March 2005, 09:55 AM
By the way, has it been mentioned that you take several times as much shield energy damage in SE compared to W3O? It's definitely one for the list if it hasn't :)

seek
23rd March 2005, 11:49 AM
*cough* It has the same shield rating as Piranha
I know, but despite the shield rating it just seems more prone to damage. :/

Rapier Racer
23rd March 2005, 04:30 PM
lol this is odd actually, when I try and take the Piranha out I usually end up in pieces due to weapons attacks but I can get the Assegai around no problem, I always had the impression that Piranha were the weakest team on 3 SE,

Mobius
23rd March 2005, 04:40 PM
I cant win races with Fiesar on SE. It's too slow! But the rest i can easily.

Bit funny that the ships i cant master are Icarus (i go pinballing mainly) and fiesar. :?

wipeoud
23rd March 2005, 05:55 PM
So if i understand correctly i must buy WO3SE en forget about WO3. Because SE has more tracks but even the WO3 mode form SE is better?

seek
23rd March 2005, 11:58 PM
lol this is odd actually, when I try and take the Piranha out I usually end up in pieces due to weapons attacks but I can get the Assegai around no problem, I always had the impression that Piranha were the weakest team on 3 SE,
I guess it all depends on your personal piloting style.

G'Kyl
24th March 2005, 05:44 AM
Wipeoud: A late welcome to the WOZ!
About swapping 3 with 3SE: Well, most players consider 3SE the better game as it has a few tweaks and changes that are distinctive improvements over the original third installation. There is the "differences" thread, but I'm sure you already found your way there. Personally I would put it like this: 3SE feels right where 3 might not. And yes, add the extra bunch of tracks and you get a whole lot of value for the money you put into the Special Edition.

Ben

Lance
24th March 2005, 12:34 PM
i'm sure he's found his way there, too. ;)

zargz
24th March 2005, 01:22 PM
way here, ben? :lol:

Lance
24th March 2005, 01:36 PM
we shouldn't pick on him; he's probably even sleepier and more distracted than i am. argh. i need some caffeine.

back to the topic: the major difference for me between SE and regular is that i don't have SE. fooey

does SE have the same amount of extra floatiness and shortcut potential relative to regular WO3 that 2097 exhibits relative to XL? after i saw Arnaud's 2097 videos recently, it was clear that there's a major difference there, so it sets me wondering just how much more floaty SE is

Mobius
24th March 2005, 01:41 PM
A lot floatier - i assure you smash your ship off the ROOF of all places!

Oh Lance: apples have a stronger effect than coffee.

Lance
24th March 2005, 02:07 PM
yeah, they make me **** a lot. so do peanuts

Mano
24th March 2005, 02:20 PM
LOL, this in one of those times when you start reading from the last post and say what the hell?!

G'Kyl
24th March 2005, 03:49 PM
Naww, stupid me! ;) I didn't assume someone would ask questions which, in parts, are being answered a few lines above (no offence, wipeoud). Thanks for the sympathy though, Lance. Yes, I was still trying to get my mind going at that time, that must have been it. *g*

Mobius: Can you also say whether the difference between XL and 2097 is as big as the one between 3 and 3SE? Cause I never thought XL and 2097 were that much apart...

Lance: Peanuts and apples do that?! Coffee is the only, well, food that has an effect on my alimentary system. Except beans and stuff, maybe.
[note to myself]Did we really want to go there/here/wherever (playing it save after this morning)?!?[/note to myself]

Ben

Mobius
24th March 2005, 04:31 PM
I dont know about the 2097/xl diference - ive never played the Xl version and i only kept 2097 for a few month so i cant remember.

Dimension
24th March 2005, 05:00 PM
Hmm, I kinda feel that W3O feels right where SE doesn't *shrugs* maybe cause i've played so much W3O, also I always manage to bounce W3O ships off the roof but have yet to manage it with SE, Manor Top and Terminal are both evil for topping out on W3O. I guess it's an each to their own thing, but it's probably wiser to buy SE for the extra tracks and greater advantage to the last 2 ships, the other little (while fairly insignificant) tweaks would make it a good idea too, though SE seems a lot more annoying to me, the dead flimsy ships help that I guess :?

Lance
24th March 2005, 08:41 PM
offtopic: coffee does not have that effect on me at all, just creates a caffeine blitz

G'Kyl
24th March 2005, 08:50 PM
Funny that. It doesn't do that for me at all. Which is quite annoying really. Because that way I have nothing to keep me up if I need to. I can even fall right asleep after having just drunk a huge cup of coffee.

offtopic addition by Lance: today's posting score as of 22:17 GMT:
Ben 15
Lance 8
;)

zargz
24th March 2005, 10:58 PM
on topic:
when reading ghosts from the memcard, the wo3 saves are being added .04 sec > if u got a 1.00.00 time it says 1.00.04
the score on your record times screen is correct though > 1.00.00
in SE the memcard reads > 1.00.00 as it should be.

on the load ghost screen in wo3 you can't see what time the highlighted ghost have > in SE you can.

the load ghost process in wo3 is a slow and painfull procedure > in SE it's swift and .. nice! 8)

lunar
24th March 2005, 11:35 PM
that`s all good - and 3SE is fully compatible with a negcon, while negcon use on 3 has several hazards to say the least.

having said that I slightly agree with Dimension about the handling. I find 3 much more positive to steer than SE. On Vector :guitarist class, 3 just feels slightly faster and more positive in turning than SE. (SE gets superior times though because of the bounce and float factor and all the "opportunities" that offers.) Not sure if this steering difference is so noticeable on Phantom :rock_on class though. :wink:

G'Kyl
24th March 2005, 11:45 PM
Ah, and not to forget WO3's bug that doesn't let you change your neGcon's buttons setting. The game would just simply lock up if you even try reconfiguring anything. :|

Lance: LOL! I believed you in the first place, though, really did. :-)

Ben

Lance
25th March 2005, 06:05 AM
the neG can be reconfigured in WO3, but it may take several frustrating tries. i use a non-standard configuration

G'Kyl
25th March 2005, 06:16 AM
Yep, I too managed to change my config. Though I don't know how. One time I turned on the PSX, the settings I wanted were suddenly there, no kidding. It's still an annoying bug, and one wonders how these things can slip through QA.

Ben

Dimension
25th March 2005, 06:29 AM
Ehm, I don't find the SE loading/saving screens to be nice, there's one extra screen to go through for loading ghosts, what's "swift and .. nice!" about that? :roll: I don't like the wip3out league in SE too because it kinda feels to me as if it's been ruined with all this launch yourself into space from the PK jump **** (for example,) IMO the track's there for flying over, not for ignoring completely. Oh and while having a little bash on PK this morning I noticed that my Qirex's steering was a lot, very noticeable through the first few corners, in a qirex every bit of extra steering advantage takes away from the fun factor. Speed wise it's still not nearly enough to make up for the Icaras' upped turning stat though, i mean damn... there goes the only advantage I ever had over the ica-b0rkers and with it my only real chance of competing :( Anyway, enough of my finding flaws in SE, i'll leave youz all alone to talk of how great SE is and i'll go back to racing W3O :wink:

zargz
25th March 2005, 12:17 PM
you are right about PK and as lunar said that shortcut is 'cheap' :|
also agree about the icaras better steering - i mentioned that long time ago > shouldnt change it or even go down to 1 imo.

[shameless selfpromotion] You won't be seeng shortcuts in my stick2trax challenge I'll be starting today or tomorrow!
I chosed only no shortcut trax > stanza, sampa, terminal and some others from the wo3 league
also we got the ghosts to extracheck the two classic trax where a shortcut is possible, but we go by the honor there! :D
Now that you, dimension, have taken part in a vector challenge I hope you'll join us in a Venom!! 8)
and i see lunar is back and with that power demostration on MM 8O (that is also included in the challenge) I/we'd be honored/scared if you joined as well!
same goes for task, thrusty and foxy ( I know! Big chance you'll join :( )
also any other dex+SE owner that i might have forgot! [/shameless selfpromotion]

tapioca
7th May 2005, 02:24 AM
From what i can remember, the 4 standard prototype-tracks in WO3:SE have also been reworked. They have many more geometrical patterns on the track borders and in the tunnels.
Can someone confirm this ? I don't own the standard WO3 anymore to make a comparison.

Zero [RG] [HG]
8th May 2005, 01:17 AM
Funny that. It doesn't do that for me at all. Which is quite annoying really. Because that way I have nothing to keep me up if I need to. I can even fall right asleep after having just drunk a huge cup of coffee.

Then you must have drunken decaffeinated coffee. :)

zargz
7th June 2005, 01:09 PM
From what i can remember, the 4 standard prototype-tracks in WO3:SE have also been reworked. They have many more geometrical patterns on the track borders and in the tunnels. Can someone confirm this ? I can! :D Was just about to post that.
Also in the player name entry in wo3 you have to press each time you want to change the letters
in SE you just press down right ( or left ) and the letters will 'roll'. :)

Hail Seizure
12th June 2005, 10:29 PM
One tiny difference that nobody seems to have noticed: There is no elimination mode in SE 8O
Also, in addition to the brighter lighting inside the tunnels, the UV luminosity effect on the crafts' paintwork is less intense.

zargz
12th June 2005, 11:00 PM
Well, not for one player but it is there for two players. :)
And you are right - that is also a difference!

Welcome to the forums btw :D

vh5150
13th June 2005, 01:31 AM
02 - 2 tracks from the Japanese version of WO3

Just where are these?

Hellfire_WZ
13th June 2005, 09:19 AM
They're the last two prototypes. You'll insantly recognise them by the different ships.

Axel
13th June 2005, 09:24 AM
Wait SE can autoload the saved game from start? How do you activate that feature?

Hellfire_WZ
13th June 2005, 10:26 AM
On by default.

Hail Seizure
13th June 2005, 07:50 PM
On by default.

I always get the "autoload failed" message and have to load manually.
Maybe it's a memory card compatibility issue, since I'm using el-cheapo unofficial ones at the moment.

Hail Seizure
13th June 2005, 07:54 PM
Well, not for one player but it is there for two players. :)
And you are right - that is also a difference!

Welcome to the forums btw :D

It still seems a little strange that they left out the single player Eliminator.
Maybe it was to make room on the disc for the classic tracks, but I can't imagine it taking up that much space.
Ah well. I have both versions and I'm horribly addicted to both of them right now, so it's not like I'm really losing out.

JABBERJAW
13th June 2005, 08:11 PM
Assegai's shield was enhanced +1 , not the speed

Physics model was dehanced, not enhanced. You fly higher which doesn't fit well with many wipeout 3 tracks like sampa run, stanza inter, and especially mega mall. However these physics work great with the old tracks!!! Go figure

Also, negcon multiplayer bug(if you realigned the buttons you wouldn't see the other ship race, kinda like the replay bug), was fixed

Axel
14th June 2005, 11:18 AM
It doesn't work for me, I'm using a cheapo one as well, but i'm playiung from my PS2, will that have an effect? I also have it in port 2 as well.

Rapier Racer
14th June 2005, 11:29 AM
It has to be port one

Axel
14th June 2005, 09:52 PM

Hail Seizure
15th June 2005, 10:17 PM
It doesn't work for me, I'm using a cheapo one as well, but i'm playiung from my PS2, will that have an effect? I also have it in port 2 as well.

I'm using a PSone with the version of WO3 that comes with a free DD2 coffee coaster :wink:
After experimenting a little I have discovered that autoload only works if the card with the WO3 save is in slot 1, and slot 2 is empty.
If you have cards in both slots, the autoload will fail, and if you only have a card in slot 2 the autoload routine will be bypassed entirely and it will go straight to the language select menu.

G'Kyl
16th June 2005, 09:48 PM
I have the card in slot one alright, but it does autoload with a second one on slot two. Are you certain your mem cards are OK?

Ben

username
13th July 2005, 12:37 PM
ive seen some pics of wip3out se and i think that the jets that come out of the back of the craft are different. not sure someone will have to tell me, also i think that the pit was the same as wipeout 2097

tapioca
13th July 2005, 12:49 PM
Are you sure it's not from the wip3out BETA ? With pit being red instead of blue?

username
14th July 2005, 09:57 AM
whats wipeout 3 BETA then ?

infoxicated
14th July 2005, 10:23 AM
He just means images taken from pre-release versions of the game, when it was a work in progress.

username
14th July 2005, 08:07 PM
oh ok then, while were talking about the colour of the exhaust trails, is there any way to change the colour of it in fusion instead of just the booring blue?

Rapier Racer
14th July 2005, 09:23 PM
play as player 2 lol then you'll have some nice redishy pink

username
15th July 2005, 07:58 AM
:mrgreen: ha. so it does. arigatou gozaimas :wink:

ShaneNewville
10th June 2006, 07:25 AM
Wow. I thought I was one of the biggest Wipeout fans until
I joined up on this message board just now. I didn't even know
there was a Special Edition. I needs to gets me a copy.

Asayyeah
10th June 2006, 09:39 PM
Wellcome on board Shanenewville :)
I am a big fan too since a long time but , lol, like you, i didn't know 3SE before i joined this forum.
This version had been released all over Europe except in France where i am living :mad: . Hopefully i found a friend here from scotland ( Stin :hyper ) who gave it to me. Now i own this used copy + a bundle with W30SE with Destruction derby ( never open , brand new ) purchased into ebay.

qirex-rd
25th December 2006, 01:50 AM
I dont like the redesign of the WipEout tracks - it looks cheap.
The colors of the Original WipEout are the most realistic of
all WipEout titles.

Hail Seizure
9th February 2007, 11:41 PM
The prototype tracks in SE use different textures for some of the track walls.
The most obvious example I've seen so far is on the first couple of bends and tunnel in LS102 (the brown one). In WO3, the walls are just plain brown, but in the SE version there is a patterned texture on the walls that gives you a much better idea of your craft's speed and orientation.

adelheid
28th August 2007, 02:38 PM
Have any of the Prototype tracks in WO3 been touched up to put in WO3se? At least one of those is my favourite :D

q_dmc12
5th January 2008, 09:57 PM
I just noticed that if you activate a refector and drive off the track to be retreived by the drone you absorb the drone's energy which gives you a speed boost when set back on the track. Found this out under the following conditions:

Rapier, Manor-top, Piranha

...and I can't recreate it :(

*Nope, sorry scratch that - I was wrong* Sorry Rob

Task
6th January 2008, 12:52 PM
8 D
I think what you've "discovered" here is that when the wuss wagon puts you back on the track, you can get the good start for a boost! Just hold the thrust in the sweet spot while the drone re-tracks you.

Medusa
6th January 2008, 07:30 PM
I've been able to utilize that effect most often on Terminal. :g What a track.

Lance
6th January 2008, 09:01 PM
I love that track.

EddieE
8th February 2008, 03:57 PM
As a newbie to SE,
what are the differences between the different releases of SE and how many versions of it are there?

Lance
8th February 2008, 04:24 PM
AFAIK, there is only one release/version of SE.

EddieE
9th February 2008, 01:56 PM
Hi Lance
Im sure i read somewhere that theres a dual pack and a regular release.
Any idea?

Tomahawk
9th February 2008, 03:01 PM
The dual pack consists of two games: Destruction Derby 2 and WipEout 3 SE. Both games are full versions. There's no difference between the "original" 3SE and the version of the game that comes in the dual pack.

EddieE
9th February 2008, 03:15 PM
Ahh, i see. thanks for clearing this up.
I wonder if they'll ever release SE on PS3

EddieE
22nd February 2008, 06:27 PM
Not sure this is the best place for it...but
What are the tracks in the Japanese version of Wip3out? Are they completely different to the PAL and NTSC versions?

Lance
22nd February 2008, 07:44 PM
Eddie, the Japanese NTSC W3O has two extra prototype tracks that North American NTSC does not; the American one has only 4 of them. Otherwise the track selection is exactly like standard W3O, having no tracks from WO1 or WO2.

EddieE
23rd February 2008, 01:33 PM
Many thanks Lance,
no need to try and grab a JP version then.

ima_gin_e
2nd March 2008, 04:44 AM
Not sure this is the best place for it...but
What are the tracks in the Japanese version of Wip3out? Are they completely different to the PAL and NTSC versions?

Yeah, I'm wondering, too; because I want to get XL and 3se, but I'm wondering if they'll even play on my 60gigger.

EddieE
4th March 2008, 07:48 PM
At long last I am now able to play SE!!!OMG!!
Why the hell this was never a world release is beyond all comprehension, someone needs their nuts cracking for this outrage!! The US players should have had this from the beginning.
Anyone who loves WO3 will be blown away by this one.
Hey Ima gin e, i can definitely recommend XL and 3SE is awesome to say the least. SE will not play on your PS3, XL will as it is NTSC, 3SE is and was only(bad move SONY) released on PAL. Its taken a long time for me to be able to play SE over here in the USA, but at last I can.

JABBERJAW
13th March 2008, 12:36 AM
Eddie, the japanese version has a slightly heavier feel than the american version, and icarus and assegai have been improved slightly. Also, sometimes in the american version when you slightly clip a wall, you come to a complete stop, but in the japanese version, you do not. Also, some of the turbo scraping is gone

Cyberio
10th March 2009, 03:20 PM
20 changes, really is better than the original, in 2000 i didn't buy this version because i thought it is not very different than the original, but i was wrong. I see is not only the "classic" tracks the only change. If it is not very hard to find someone in ebay, i will buy it.

Haywire_Guy
9th September 2009, 11:30 AM
Year old bump, The SE had steering wheel support. The original and 2097 featured this as well (As well as Fusion, HD, Pulse PS2 v.), but oddly WO3 was left out. But they put it back in the SE version.

Dan Locke
3rd January 2011, 10:35 PM
17 - Weapon pads grey-out for a second after use (in W3O you had to judge for yourself if they were active)
You don't have to "judge for yourself"; the pads stop flashing yellow.

JABBERJAW
5th January 2011, 01:01 AM
All wipeout 3 versions have wheel support (negcon mode) wipeout 1,xl 3 and fusion have this feature for negcon. Only wipeout 3 could use a wheel based on dual shock mode though (which was worse anyway)

Dan Locke
5th January 2011, 03:07 AM
Seek hasn't logged in since 2008. Would any moderators be interested in updating the original post?

seek
1st August 2011, 04:12 AM
Seek hasn't logged in since 2008. Would any moderators be interested in updating the original post?

;)

I'm still around. Although I don't think the OP needs updating tbh. If people really want to know every single miniscule difference between the games they can read the thread.

(and it's "seek").

Edit: Although if there is anything you particularly want updating then let me know and I'll do it.

Wanzer
18th June 2016, 04:17 PM
Since I finally got the chance to compare Wo3 and Wo3SE I will necro this thread.
Wo3 NTSC runs at 60Hz and Wo3SE is limited to PAL 50Hz, Wo3 NTSC runs noticeably smoother than SE, especially with high speed agile ships and tracks with long smooth turns and many repeating decals on the walls.
A good example is Rapier class Feisar at Porto Kora, white arrows on the walls move fluidly in Wo3 unlike Wo3SE where they only exponentiate insufficient fps, the same ship in SE reacts slower to input, hard to tell whether its because of new physics or framerate.

I guess 25 fps is just not enough for such a fast racer, its only 5fps difference but solely because of that Wo3 might be superior game.
To make things clearer I am not talking about perceived speed of the ship because that have been adjusted, I am talking how smooth the picture is when you are flying at high speed.

JABBERJAW
20th June 2016, 03:06 AM
NTSC J moves even better. The controls feel better in xl vs 2097 as well, and in the first one

chri5
29th January 2018, 09:21 AM
Is there a definitive list of differences between WO3 and WO3 Japanese version?

JABBERJAW
30th January 2018, 01:43 AM
The Japanese version is far, far smoother, but does not have the 8 extra tracks. The Japanese version feels like floating as opposed to flying, it also does not bounce out of control on some tracks. If we could swap the classic tracks from 3se on to the J version, that would be sweet. I dont think anyone has tried it