PDA

View Full Version : A new Wipeout is coming

Wamdue
30th November 2003, 10:16 AM
I just read Gamereactor and on one of those little sidenotes where they post bits of news they wrote that Studio Liverpool is working on a Wipeout sequel, and this time going back to roots and focusing more on driving skills than weapons. It also said they would release screenshots early next year. iiiiih! :D

zargz
30th November 2003, 12:28 PM
:o :o :o :o :o :o no ****!!!!!

jmoid
30th November 2003, 12:29 PM
That's really very exciting indeed :)

zargz
30th November 2003, 12:33 PM
yeah! hope they make it right this time ..
skip the shortcuts and autopilot - the game'll get 50% better just by doing that! 8)

Wamdue
30th November 2003, 12:42 PM
yeah, I hope the info in the magazine was correct. I say, skip the freeform areas,autopilot,flamethrower-ish kinda weapons,and add more hover feeling.. even Jak 2: Renegade has a better hover-feeling than Wipeout Fusion.

Shem
30th November 2003, 08:12 PM
My GOD I hope it's true! Hope this'll be a real AG racing simulator, I'd love to see AG Sys. again, some REASONEBLE craft designs, and all that wich I Love most about W'O.

lunar
30th November 2003, 10:54 PM
floaty ships and hard walls - lets hope they give us real wipeout this time.

I hope they recruit a tester from Wipeoutzone, but I`m not volunteering :roll: A really sh*t-hot pilot with core wipeout values would be needed to put this game through its paces as after Fusion I`m not sure these SL people are actually very good at their own games, though F1 2003 was a top game I must say. :wink:

I just hope they get it released before I get too old and my reactions die completely.

Hybrid Divide
1st December 2003, 01:36 AM
That's the best news I've heard all day!

Any comments from Infox?

infoxicated
1st December 2003, 09:11 AM
no.

sp33d-phr3ak
1st December 2003, 12:12 PM
Wow! i hope they do a PC version for too.
Is there anywhere we can get more info on this bad boy?
They better do a good job this time, im not putting up with another wipeout fusion!
All those in favour of a returnto old skool values put your hands up!

Rachel Johnson
1st December 2003, 01:15 PM
EHE! EHEHE! No way... o.o;

I hope that it will be good (if it is so.)

What am I saying?!? OF COURSE it will.... o.o

Shem
1st December 2003, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I Wouldn't be so optimistic about it Rachel, you know what happened to fusion, although it was about to ba a total breaktrough in the history of wipeouting (let's call it that).

science
1st December 2003, 05:38 PM
I hope the Fusion designers aren't reading this thread...
there is hardly a post here without a jab at it. Really kinda makes me feel guilty for some reason. :oops:

Wamdue
2nd December 2003, 11:13 AM
I really liked Wipeout Fusion, but I think it could have been so much better if they kept themselfes closer to wip3out and wipeout 2097. But WIpeout has evolved since every sequel and well, i think it was natural it turned out the way it did.

Shem
2nd December 2003, 03:32 PM
I agree with you Wamude, but the way wipeout has gone as we've seen it in Fusion didn't have to be like that. It could be different and i hope you're aware of that. It evolved - yes - but in my opinion it went in the wrong way.
P.S. I also don't feel so good talking like that about one of my favourite games off all times, but if i have to come up with an opinion, then that will be it. Deal with it Fusion designers :wink:

Thruster2097
2nd December 2003, 07:00 PM
well if that aint the headline that sparked ten-thousand rumors.....
oh please let it be true!!!!

Rachel Johnson
3rd December 2003, 11:57 AM
Hey! I like Fusion! What's wrong with it?

Er, better not ask that... people will start flooding me with things wrong with it. lol @_@

zargz
3rd December 2003, 01:18 PM
I just read Gamereactor and on one of those little sidenotes where they post bits of news they wrote that Studio Liverpool is working on a Wipeout sequel
did u read this on the net or in the magazine?

zargz
3rd December 2003, 01:20 PM
I hope they recruit a tester from Wipeoutzone, but I`m not volunteering :roll:
HEY! I'd do it in a heartbeat!!! :o

science
3rd December 2003, 07:05 PM
yeah, I'd drop out of school for a semester to do that. I'm sure everyone around me, my parents, my girlfriend... yeah, they'd be really understanding of that :oops:, but I'd still do it :D

lunar
3rd December 2003, 09:59 PM
Z: I just wanted to dispel any idea that I thought I might be eligible to get the job. Of course I`d do it, for the right terms and conditions of course. :wink:

If the rumour`s true they need a mean pilot and who`ll break the game quickly to make sure its that its tough for good players and not released with as many holes in as fusion. Better testing might have sorted out a lot of its problems, and if those in charge knew they were there and left them in anyway then :evil: (there I go again on the fusion thing, again, sorry :oops: )

It was a good game in many ways (a lot of the track design and zone mode) and I loved it for a while, but in the end it only served to get me back into the real thing, and I`ll always remember it for that.

Shem
3rd December 2003, 10:07 PM
Man, I'd depressed if i were a developer of Fusion reading your post Lunar :)
But apart that, "true, ..... true...." :)
I wouldn't like to be a Beta tester for instance. Too much resposibility....

Lance
3rd December 2003, 11:24 PM
the responsibility wouldn't all be on one beta tester; you need several different sorts of people to scope out all the possible mistakes. beta testing is fun, and it's satisfying to make a contribution to the end product. i haven't done any on videogames yet, but i'd like to

Asche XL
4th December 2003, 02:05 AM
I only have one tip of advice for the next wipeout game.

Just be like

"hey, well atleast a fter fusion we can't make it any worse"

so with that said. They should just make Wipeout XL-2. Keep the dark/futuristic feel, with the blue thrust, barely any weapons, responsive controls, fast speed and tight tracks. mmmmmm

science
4th December 2003, 03:42 AM
...and I loved it for a while, but in the end it only served to get me back into the real thing, and I`ll always remember it for that.

Sounds like an old girlfriend!!!

Lance
4th December 2003, 04:55 AM
i agree with AscheXL about making it more futuristic looking, though i would prefer that about half of the tracks be bright and half be dark.

an odd thing about WO is that the second one is the most futuristic one, the third is noticeably in the future, but looks like an extension of present suburban culture, but the really odd part is that the original game looks more to me like it's further back in time than we are, sort of an immediate post-World War II but with anti-grav look. but i'm probably the only one who thinks this

Hybrid Divide
4th December 2003, 04:57 AM
I see what you mean, Lance.

By far though. 2097 is the most futuristic.

But where does Fusion lie? (like it matters)
Meh, if they plan to take WipEout back to it's roots.
Someone should let Tim Wright know about this. Just think if he could get back into it. Doing new music for the series would be nice!

Also, like some other people commented, they should keep engine trails to one color (Blue IMO). I don't think there will be 6 or so different flare standards.

Hope that made sense! :D

Shem
4th December 2003, 10:29 AM
I really don't know what developers are up to, but I hope that some of them read this forum to know, what we would like to see in the new Wipeout. Heh, there's a question for all of you - is there any evidence to claim that developers acctually read this forum?
Lance, you're a site moderator, do you know something about it?

Wamdue
4th December 2003, 01:06 PM
Zargz, in the magazine. I could scan it but i doubt it would be useful since its in swedish.

Yeah theres been developers reading these forums, look at the credits in WIpeout Fusion and youll find a special thanks to Infoxicated and fans at Wipeoutzone.com or something like that. It should be evidence enough :D

Lance , theres several open and closed betas of mmorpgs and similar games going on.. The closed ones useally arent that hard to get accepted on.. Youll prolly be accepted sooner or later.. But..With a 56k connection that might be hard. In 2-3months from now ill have a game/demo ready and it would be very fun to share it with you.. then youd be a beta-tester ;) not in a grand scale.. but still :D

Thruster2097
4th December 2003, 07:48 PM
I know its a one-in-a-million shot, but i would definatley be willing to haul butt to liverpool to be a tester.
Getting paid to play games would be heaven on earth, and having a say in how they can be improved would be the icing on the cake!

The tricky thing about WipEout is that when it was created, it made its own genre.
It had many imitators, but wipeout always remained the innovator, which made it special.
I dont know if there is anything you can add to a perfect series of games, so the only way to make another title is to create a mix-up of all the best bits. But that in itself is a contradiction to what made the game special in the first place, its originality.

Fusion is the perfect amalgamation of wipeouts, but it just felt too over-enthusiastic for its time. Now scee have hopefully learned how to harness the most power they can from the ageing ps2 platform to produce an even faster game.

My advice is KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid!

and ps.
no flamethrowers or loops, please? :wink:

Wamdue
4th December 2003, 08:09 PM
yeah, even tho Fusion didnt entertain me for as long as Wip3out or Wipeout2097 did , the day when I came home with a press copy of Fusion it felt like christmas.. Booting the game for the first time after the long wait ( remember those delays? ).. I played till my eyes hurt hehe. All things in wipeout fusion arent that bad.. Temtesh bay was a fantastic track except the cave-part.. with Wip3out physics it would be even better. And that track.. forgot its name.. the one that was in the demo and in Al's video. The concept of having multiple routes on different locations instead of just one track per location was good. Some ag-craft designs were very nice too ( Feisar, EG-R, the unmodified XIOS ) Tigron felt kind of immature tho..The ice track was very cool too except for the freeform area with the trees.

Lance
4th December 2003, 08:33 PM
shem, at least a couple of the Fusion developers are members of the WipeoutZone forums.

wamdue: yeah the 56k would be very limiting. please tell me more about that game/demo as soon as there's news

science
4th December 2003, 09:53 PM
fusion was fun for a little bit, but you know what frustrated me about it the most? when i got fed up with it, i went back to playing wo3, and it was like racing in stop-motion animation. the framerate on fusion is soo much better. going from ps2 down to ps1 hurts...

Shem
5th December 2003, 07:45 PM
thanx for the info Lance - I'll try not to say harsh words on Fusion since now :)
And as for the beta testing, I've heard lots about peoples entusiastic approach to this issue. All in all you have to consider beta testing more as a job than fun. Why's that u ask?
After all, playing a game on and on is ok if you play a good game. In this case U Don't know if it is a good game or not, but at least u try to make it better by making suggestions about lots of things. Right? I guess so.
My point is - if u play this game lets say, ... 8 hours a day, every day, there's no way U'll love to play it, considering that this game is full of bugs that u have to locate, considering that this is your job, (supposively a fun job, but defenitly a hard work).

Lance
5th December 2003, 11:23 PM
yes, it iS hard work, but it is also fun and rewarding. like playing F355

Wamdue
6th December 2003, 11:19 AM
Yeah I remember reading some beta-testers diary or similar.. He absolutly hated it. Imagene playing a game for as long as you guys say and when you run in to a bug youll have to write down exactly when, and exactly what you were doing/ had done during the game to get there. And then start over, or spend half of the day trying to do stuff like get on the roofs of buildings you arent supposed to only because you know there is players out there who actually does that kind of stuff. I think beta-testing would prolly destroy the way I look at games / gamers today I i were to work as a beta-tester.

Angryman
8th December 2003, 11:43 AM
This news is very exiting but didn't they say the same thing about fusion??
"Fusion will be more like 2097" etc....etc.... and look how that turned out.
I think they should return to the old formula of wipeout, a simple, fast paced and exiting ARCADE game, keep the physics from Wo2097 and Classes, ie vector, phantom...etc.
If they want to go for such an extreme racer they should release a new ROLLCAGE and not mess with the Wipeout formula.
anyhway.. hope the game turns out good and playabe.

faB
8th December 2003, 03:56 PM
Let's have some real tracks, and no silly obtsacles in the middle of the road. Things like pillars right in the middle of the road in some WO Fusion tracks, it makes no sense in a real formula one race, it makes no sense in a futuristic 'AG' racer either, imho. On the other hand,
90 degree turns or pitfalls like in Manor Top / W3OSE are consistent with the fururistic Anti-Grav. racing.

I personally like the Auto Pilots. THey add to the strategy, it takes skill to use them at the right time, they can drive you right into a wall if you dont disengage it manually at the right moment. It;s not cheap at all. It does make it a little easier, but in a good sense : relieves some stress when you are going for the final lap and you are battling to keep 250% concentration !! :)

I Agree with 'Keep It Simple'

Most silly and obvious possible so-called 'improvement' would be adding choice of 'driver', and improvemento of his stats during a tournament., and improvement of the vehicle. B-O-R-I-N-G. This will just water down the level of the game I think.

Internet play would be nice, but not all that fancy. Best is to be able to get other people's times, and download their 'laps' as 'ghost races' to compete against. What happens if you lag a lil bit in a Phantom race ? :)

science
8th December 2003, 04:10 PM
online play *is *a *MUST with the next wipeout. I can't imagine why they would leave it out. Broadband connections are fast enough to handle it these days, and there are ways to correct for lag. I would be utterly disappointed if we didn't see online play in the next wipeout.
BTW faB, I tried to get some ghost file sharing going via the internet a couple of years back... it kind of fell through.
Let me restate my thesis here...
INTERNET PLAY IS A MUST!!!

(you think that was clear enough?;))

stin
8th December 2003, 07:38 PM
science quoted: INTERNET PLAY IS A MUST!!!

That would be cool and hopefully we can compete to these guys and we can learn from them also us too.

It would be a good experience but wait and see what happens.

stin :)

science
8th December 2003, 08:36 PM
Online play is the KEY feature i want to see in the next WO, assuming that they get the fundamentals right this time around. My PS2 would always be running, just waiting for the next competitor. I can't imagine anything cooler than getting a chance to play against some of the members here. Hopefully they will get all of the versions to play the same so that we can play each other from across the pond...N. American, European, Japanese, whatever. I simply cannot stress how important I think universal online play is since the technology is readily available. I also think it would boost the fanbase for WO dramatically.

Wamdue
8th December 2003, 10:53 PM
That would be a good reason to buy the broadband adapter! I wonder if they are going to hire tDR for some of the art or let them pitch like with Fusion.. If I remember correctly they refused to do it... Even if it was selfcentered Good Technology just doesnt cut it.. They are so influenced of so many styles it feels like they didnt bother finding their own. Or something like that ;)

lunar
9th December 2003, 01:11 PM
BTW faB, I tried to get some ghost file sharing going via the internet a couple of years back... it kind of fell through.

were you trying to use X-Port to do this? It would be excellent to get this going so we could race against each others` time trials. Of course you need an x-port to do it, but they`re not all that expensive.

science
9th December 2003, 05:18 PM
I was using a device called a DataDeck. Mad Catz put them out to compete with InterAct's DexDrive. Unfortunately, I never got the damned thing to work right on my computer, so the idea fell through. I haven't tried hooking it up to my new computer, though. I get the feeling that it won't work at all with Windows XP, since the drivers are designed for older Windows systems. Seems like the older the software, the more likely it is that you will have to get updated drivers for XP, and all of that stuff is discontinued these days.
I suppose I could try it though, if anyone wants to make another attempt at getting that going...

lunar: What is an X-Port, and who made it?

lunar
9th December 2003, 11:58 PM
Its pc software that uses USB to connect to your PS2, and it really works. You can then use your pc to copy saves, replays, whatever, to and from your memory card. I don`t know if it reads PS1 memory cards, I haven`t tried it, but even if not we could easily copy ghosts onto the PS2 cards which it would then read, upload them to a website (hint hint :wink: ) and then race against each other. Or we could just email ghosts to each other. Costs £16.99 over here from Play.com (same as 1 memory card) and is also essential for all Pro Evo Soccer players. Also saves masses of eye toy movies without owning hundreds of memory cards. I just need a 5m usb lead so I can keep it permanently plugged in.

science
10th December 2003, 12:02 AM
I looked into it abit. looks like its about 40 buckeroos here. I'll pick up that datadeck to see if it works on my new PC. We still wont be able to play from across the pond, though... although Al probably could since he's got a PAL system.

infoxicated
10th December 2003, 08:16 AM
If enough people are interested I could create an upload system for this type of file. It would be a PoP and I could just store them with a reference to your user ID.

Having said that, the original MadCatz idea didn't take off too well, even if it is a very good one. :)

science
10th December 2003, 05:06 PM
It might have taken off, i just never got the damned thing to worK! We'll try it again ;)

lunar
10th December 2003, 05:46 PM
I`m not sure racing against Al`s ghost ships would be very encouraging for me. :o It would be instructive.... for about 4 seconds until he disapeared around the first or possibly second corner.

Infox,first of all thanks for all the work on the tables, it looks great. Regarding a ghosts section I would definitely participate, but there wouldn`t be much point you doing the work unless there`s a quite few of us with the kit to upload ghosts, so we`ve got all sorts of tracks and standards of competition to choose from.

Any other X-Ports or similar out there?

Hybrid Divide
10th December 2003, 11:19 PM
This ghost technique could open the door for open emulator use!
If those of us who might use an emulator (Mainly for Wip3out SE) uploaded our save file, we would have a way of verifying the times via a ghost save.

That's just my 2 cents :D

Task
10th December 2003, 11:54 PM
I haven't got any kind of PSX-to-PC device, but if Joel there can find one that works then I can definitely invest in one.
I could race Mr. Manortop there on his own turf, see just how long I can keep up with him... That would rock!

Yeah, I'd be all down with that, and stuff.

Mano
11th December 2003, 01:51 AM
This ghost technique could open the door for open emulator use!
If those of us who might use an emulator (Mainly for Wip3out SE) uploaded our save file, we would have a way of verifying the times via a ghost save.

That's just my 2 cents :D

great idea!!!, i could finally start racing for some times if this could be available!!

science
11th December 2003, 03:18 AM
I could race Mr. Manortop there on his own turf, see just how long I can keep up with him... That would rock!

Geeze, I really need to get some times up so I can kick that name. ;)

I will have an answer as to whether or not the datadeck works in the next couple of days.
This is exciting! I hope it works this time!!!

Shem
11th December 2003, 05:28 PM
Wow, that's a great idea.
However i don't think that emulated W'O mesures the time exactly as if it was played on PSX, the same as with other issues concearning emulation. Maybe I'm wrong, if so, tell me about it.

FoxZero
11th December 2003, 06:48 PM
im one of the few people who own one of those interact Dex Drives, but isnt ghost mode in wipeout3 a time trial exclusive?

science
11th December 2003, 10:59 PM
im one of the few people who own one of those interact Dex Drives, but isnt ghost mode in wipeout3 a time trial exclusive?
yes, ghost saves are timetrial exclusive.
Fox, what kind of computer do you have and what operating system is it running? If it's XP and your DexDrive works, then we may have a plan of action.
I got my datadeck and hooked it up today. No dice. The program doesn't see it on the COM port. I'm sure that it would need new drivers, and considering that this thing has been discontinued for years, I may as well take it out back and shoot it (which I have been known to do with faulty electronics :evil: )
get back to me about the DexDrive. I'd really like to make this work.
BTW, does anyone have an X-Port? if so, are they compatible with PS1 saves? I can't seem to find any info on those damned things anywhere!!!

FoxZero
12th December 2003, 06:35 AM
i got drivers that work in windows xp. any specific tracks you want me to save? also, anyone know if NTSC saves will work with PAL people?

Bob Todd
12th December 2003, 03:30 PM
All I can say is w00t!

Ah, this is what I get for hardly visiting the forums!

lunar
12th December 2003, 05:21 PM
I succesfully copied my 2097 save from ps1 card - ps2 card - pc, via x-port, and there`s no reason why you couldn`t go back the other way. When I get a chance I`ll try and go directly to the ps1 card and see if this works.

science
12th December 2003, 07:01 PM
On those successful notes, I'm moving this conversation to a new topic with an appropriate title. :)

Lance
12th December 2003, 07:05 PM
aww, man. why spoil the mutating convo? it's our specialty!

Bob Todd
15th December 2003, 03:30 PM
As this article (http://www.totalvideogames.com/?section=Read%20News&id=4257&gameid=3541&format=000019) shows, the new WipEout may be on PSP and not PS2. It's still jsut speculation though - we shall see!

science
15th December 2003, 05:08 PM
"Don't hack formats," it tells me. Try this one instead:
http://www.totalvideogames.com/?section=Game%20Info&gameid=3541&format=000019

zargz
15th December 2003, 07:12 PM
i got drivers that work in windows xp. any specific tracks you want me to save? also, anyone know if NTSC saves will work with PAL people?
they won't.

zargz
15th December 2003, 07:15 PM
"Don't hack formats," it tells me. Try this one instead:
http://www.totalvideogames.com/?section=Game%20Info&gameid=3541&format=000019

Wipeout PSP

Format PSP
Players 4
Genre Racing
Publisher SCEE
Developer SCEE Liverpool Studio
Released
UK: 2004
US: 2004

The futuristic racer heads to the PSP.

is that all it says there?? ('_'?)

science
15th December 2003, 08:21 PM
looks that way. No other info as of yet.

zargz
15th December 2003, 09:09 PM
yayx! :evil:

science
16th December 2003, 12:40 AM
Have you guys read anything about the PSP?
It looks extremely cool! I think it will be a definite buy when it comes out. They need to integrate some sort of personal organizer stuff in with it. If it doubled as a palm pilot, I would be in heaven. I don't know what I would do without my little sony clie.

Hybrid Divide
16th December 2003, 01:20 AM
I hope it's not for the PSP, though the multiplayer aspect would be nice. I'd rather not have to buy new hardware to play the game I love.

*shrugs*
Plus it'd be harder for online play, and no dual shock?!
And no L2 and R2?

science
16th December 2003, 02:55 AM
If you are playing with dual shock, you're missing out!!!

Bob Todd
16th December 2003, 06:58 PM
Aye - D-pad all the way for WipEout!

Task
16th December 2003, 07:22 PM
I dunno... I used to think that way, but when we had that tournament (the one with all versions included) and I played a lot of WO64, I got really used to the analog stick on the N64 controller there. At first I hated it, I was used to my d-pad and I wanted it back, but eventually I grew used to it and then... I began to like it! Nose control was so much easier with the stick than with the d-pad, and such fine-tuning was available. I could do large sweeping turns by just holding slightly to the side instead of intermittent tapping on the d-pad.
Now I miss it. I was playing some WOXL the other night, and found myself wanting an analog stick.
To be fair, I'm never going to use the analog stick on the dual-shock, I'll always use the d-pad on that, but the Nintendo analog stick is really good, not only better than any other analog stick I've tried, but better than any d-pad, too. I like the analog stick on the Gamecube, too. Nintendo does at least one thing really well.

Never woulda thought I'd find myself wanting an analog stick, though.

jmoid
16th December 2003, 08:11 PM
I know what you mean, but the a-stick on the N64 pad is a lot nicer than the ones on PS2 pads IMO, PS2 sticks don't feel like there's anything to push against.

Makai
17th December 2003, 12:12 PM
Hi! first reply from Catalonia :P

Nobody knows about the Designers Republic possible colaboration in this project?
The wipeout style look much better when this guys work in.

PSP will have an analogic stick too. It realease/hide when pressing the digital one.

...my english is poor, i know :lol:

Lance
17th December 2003, 05:05 PM
hi Makai. wow, another Catalonian besides xEik!
don't worry about the quality of your English; you're doing okay

science
17th December 2003, 06:46 PM
but the Nintendo analog stick is really good, not only better than any other analog stick I've tried, but better than any d-pad, too.

wow, really? I always despized that stick. if you thumb got sweaty it would slip off, and it just never felt very fluid to move, it would stick in place if you know what i mean. I've always thought that the analog sticks on the official ps1/2 controllers were the best ever made. Not even the knockoff brands with more expensive controllers can do it better. In my opinion, no other company has come up with a controller that is as overall perfect as the PS2 controller. It was brilliant of them to not change the design of the pad (except for everything being analog... i took one apart when my family first got a PS2 to see how they had done it... its really wierd!) Noone elses gamepad comes close to feeling as natural in your hands.
As for playing wipeout with the D-Pad:
I used to have this controller... no analog sticks, no dual shock, no nothing. a dead simple ps1 pad shaped sort of like a batarang (think batman) after i started playing with that pad, i didnt think anything could possibly be any better. Then, of course, people start talking about negcons. Eventually i bought one, a black one for an unbelievably inflated price. When I got it, the first day I nearly threw it in the garbage I was so frustrated with it. It was akward and it only made me worse. But, I was persistent, and by the end of the week it was second nature and seconds were flying off of all of my best times. If you haven't gotten yourself a negcon yet, you are doing yourself a great injustice!

Makai: welcome to the forums. Welcome to all of the new pilots we've picked up recently (which has been quite a few in a very short time! :D ).

Task
17th December 2003, 09:34 PM
Yeah, I got myself a NeGcon as soon as I could, but I _still_ haven't found a way to hold it. It keeps slipping out of my hands because I hold it too far back and end up trying to wrap my hand around these tiny little sticky-out bits at the back. I've got an idea for how to fix that, but haven't implemented it yet.
Absolutely, the Playstation controller is the best I've ever held, but I've never liked the analog sticks, they're too imprecise. They slide too easily, I can't feel the halfway point. Worst of all, I don't know if I'm far to the side, or if I'm halfway up and far to the side. Maybe you had a bad Nintendo stick. I don't care much for the rest of the N64 controller, but that stick definitely does it for me. The Gamecube controller is superior to the N64 controller, but not very good for long bouts of serious gaming. Not like the Playstation controller.

science
18th December 2003, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I got myself a NeGcon as soon as I could, but I _still_ haven't found a way to hold it. It keeps slipping out of my hands because I hold it too far back and end up trying to wrap my hand around these tiny little sticky-out bits at the back.

The white ones are fairly hard to hold. The black version fits into your hand much better than the older white one. I've got (i believe) 4 white negcons and one black one. The white ones are all for emergency use only and two of them have only come out of their boxes for testing.
Namco must have really messed up with their marketing of the negcon. Anyone who has used one loves the controller. There is simply nothing that compares to them out there today, and now the only place you can pick them up is ebay. It's a pitty realy. I'd love to get my hands on a brand spanking new black negcon. the springyness is giving way in mine, not to mention ive had to take it apart to fix it a couple of times!

Wamdue
19th December 2003, 12:02 PM
Ive always preferred the d-pad when playing wipeout. The Dual shock analog sticks are to close to the palm of my hand, it just feels unnatural to use them. I never used the gamecube-sticks for wipeout ( duuh ) but when talking about sticks its the best controller Ive ever used, its got better sticks than the dual shock and better comfort than the xbox controller and the shoulder buttons are really comfy too in comparison with the xbox triggers that have too much resistance for long sessions. The only problem Ive had with long sessions using the gc-pad is handsweat, the other pads seems to absorb it or somehow make it disapear hehehe.. Maybe I should get me one of those Airflow controllers with air-conditioning :)

Shem
19th December 2003, 05:31 PM
Yeah, same problem here man! :)
What's wierd, my hands don't sweat while playing other games, but with Wipeouts, the pad is drenched to death. Wonder why? :lol:

xEik
20th December 2003, 06:24 PM
hi Makai. wow, another Catalonian besides xEik!

Lance, I told you that someday we'd take over the world. ;) A Chinese proverb says that a thousand mile trip starts with a single step. 8)

Salutacions des d'Amposta, Makai! :D

Lance
20th December 2003, 08:35 PM
someday Opera will take over the world!

Caffeinated
22nd December 2003, 04:37 AM
There seems to be a general consensus that any new Wipeout game should be more like XL/2097 than the other games. Would there be any place we could write to let our opinions be heard?

I mean physical letters, not email. Physical letters would probably receive more attention and show a deeper evel of interest than email.

fusionfrenzy
23rd December 2003, 08:42 PM
I think that the weaponry evolution in wipeout Fusion was a good thing...its so much fun to have a two player custom league with your brother and blast each other to pieces with the massive weaponry array :D . If these rumours are true, this is what I would change if I were in charge of the next wipeout:

Faults of Fusion:
1.Grind-y walls. Make them more solid.
2.favourite teams removed. Bring back Gotekki and Ag systems!!
3.Tracks.Lots, but only 7 different settings(i.e places). Make 14 settings with 2 variations (long and short) for each.
4.Glitches. less of them.
5.G-Tech. A shameless self-promotion ship( Good technology made game -good technology-G-tech. see it?) The ship is awful.

Good points:
1.Lots of weapons. Keep them all except flamer.
2.Ability to fire back and forth. yum.
3.Upgrades.Good idea :D
4.zone. i hate and love it
5.Ships blow up instead of drop to the floor. small but adds to the feel.
6.History.There's tonnes of storyline if u read the manual and visite the site.IT's all very interesting.

What they should do:
-Make the racing more like wipeout 3, but with the track lenths of wipeout fusion. Keep all of fusion's modes and the upgrade system. Bring back 3 wo3 ships, ditch Gtech, and bring in 4 new ones(14 in all).Make a few new weapons. Make it feel dark and realistic like wo3 but as expansive and destructive aswell (wipeout 3 had smaller and thinner tracks and the weaponry was unvaried).

Thanks for reading all that, i needed to voice my personal opinion, and if youre listening, Studio liverpool...

Asche XL
24th December 2003, 04:33 PM
What they should do:
-Make the racing more like wipeout 3, but with the track lenths of wipeout fusion. Keep all of fusion's modes and the upgrade system. Bring back 3 wo3 ships, ditch Gtech, and bring in 4 new ones(14 in all).Make a few new weapons. Make it feel dark and realistic like wo3 but as expansive and destructive aswell (wipeout 3 had smaller and thinner tracks and the weaponry was unvaried).

Nah, here's an idea. Take Wipeout Fusion, ok now put it on the floor of your kitchen. Next, go outside and get in your car. Put on some kickin' techno like sasha or something and drive down the st. Turn around, then floor it towards your house -goin' around 90mph- drive right over your lawn, through the front door, down the hallway and demolishing your kitchen containing Wipeout Fusion, 'cause that sh*t sucks. If you take any ideas from Fusion I'll tell you what the next wipeout is gonna be like, crappy. Better yet, take Wipeout XL update the graphics and music, add some new tracks/ships, create some cool characters with some bad-ass storylines ( Fusion disgusts me in that dept, especially the cover, who wants to play as those lame-asses?) and there you go. Oh, and make it negcon compatible.

The should have me work on it. It'd be called "We don't suck anymore XL"

Lance
24th December 2003, 05:52 PM
narrow tracks are good. wide tracks make it too easy to avoid some of the weapons and give too much room to get around the other ships without really needing to be awake to do it

Wamdue
5th January 2004, 07:46 PM
Good technology only made 2d art like cover and instructionsmanual, and team-logotypes. The _game_ was made by Studio Liverpool.

I think Sony and a bunch of suits was the ones who made the decisions to make Fusion as newbie-friendly as possible and add stuff that cant scare away the casual gamers. If Studio Liverpool had funded Wipeout Fusion by themselfes Im sure we would have had a better game.. but thats unrealistic

Dogg Thang
7th January 2004, 06:15 PM
Well I'm a new kid here (sort of) but I'll throw my 2 cents in. Well, I'm with the people who'd rather Wipeout took a step backwards to bring it back to the Wipeout3 style or XL (2097). Many of the things that some people have listed here as good points about Fusion have been awful IMO especially turning a racing game into a battlefield. I don't want to play Twisted Metal, I want a futuristic racer and I really hope that's what we get on the PSP.

The fact that Fusion bombed and was not all that well recieved makes me think that we have a good chance of getting a return to the glory days. Sony's money men will simply look at the figures and tell the studio to make it like the one that people thought was cool. I'd love to see DR back doing the design. They had an increasingly important role in making Wipeout what it was. Sure, not so much in the first one with just a few logos but by the third one the game oozed DR style. I don't reckon the DR guys will go back unless they are offered a ton of money up front though after their experience with Fusion. Would be great if they did though.

I'd be happy with a 'best of' Wipeout with a mix of tracks from the first three games and maybe a couple of new ones. That would do me nicely.

Dogg.

jmoid
7th January 2004, 07:37 PM
I almost won't let myself hope that the next game is going to be what I want it to be. It's too galling thinking how great Wipeout on a PS2 could be a what they did to the ship handling... I agree with you, Wamdue - I think Studio Liverpool were probably under pressure to dumb the game down. Really though if Sony could just see the sense it giving the game back it's original appeal - maybe it won't be a best seller, but there's a sizeable audience for it, and there are other ways around the difficulty issue. Why not put in afew more tracks for beginners? Have a league of tracks that don't take too much skill, then people that don't have the inclination to master the game can still have the speed-rush without having to put a lot of practice in. Then have trickier tracks for those of us that do... ah I'm getting carried away.

satriani
8th January 2004, 12:57 PM
After the cruddy hype I believed last time I intend to keep my expectations about as low as I can (think black and white graphics, low frame rate, bugs everywhere) then I can't possibly be dissapointed. Fusion ? I'm with Rob the box doth gather dust on the shelf while W3SE sits beside my PS2.

yuusen
23rd January 2004, 07:53 PM

a brief question regarding the psp.
would wipeout speed work on a smaller screen?

¥

Sausehuhn
11th February 2004, 05:06 PM
http://edomekuvat.soneraplaza.fi/ps2_e3cd/wipeout_fusion/FUSIONE6.jpg

good or good? I would say: more than good!!!! :P

Sausehuhn

Shem
11th February 2004, 05:40 PM
don't get it.... did U render this one? If so.....good one!

infoxicated
11th February 2004, 09:01 PM
http://edomekuvat.soneraplaza.fi/ps2_e3cd/wipeout_fusion/FUSIONE6.jpg

good or good? I would say: more than good!!!! :P

Sausehuhn
Wow - that's an old render... I think that's from E3 2001 - almost two full years before Wipeout Fusion was released.

Shem
11th February 2004, 09:08 PM
:o :lol: (I'm an idiot... :D )

Hybrid Divide
12th February 2004, 01:14 AM
Infox. That may be an old render, but it made the game look better than it turned out to be! :D

fusionfrenzy
11th April 2004, 03:09 PM
Wipeout 3 (and Xl/2097) was the best, but Fusion had some good ideas, because if you look at wo3 in retrospect, it was too 'contained', Fusion had more freedom, a bigger sense of stuff to actually do and complete, but also fusion did not do the racing as well as wo3. I think the best combo. would be to have a fusion-style to the out of racing stuff-it's more free feeling and more to unlock, more game itself. The racing should be done wo3-style, with tight fast tracks, light ships which r floaty again, 16 competitors, fusion's weaponry array, wo3's feel.

Rapier Racer
15th April 2004, 04:46 AM
If another wipeout does come along, do you think they shoud keep super weapons? Im split on this because most of the time when i play wipeout i want speed, speed and more speed but occasionally i like a good battle, the oppertunity to blow the other ships into tiny little pieces :evil:

G'Kyl
15th April 2004, 06:55 AM
I always felt that the best way to serve both needs were to add an option to disable all weapons in the game.

Hmmm... just thinking of being able to determine which weapons I wanna play with and which ones I wanna have disabled........

Ben

Hybrid Divide
15th April 2004, 07:04 AM
Agreed.

Shem
15th April 2004, 10:03 AM
and have you ever thought of wepons which you can power up? Kinda like Rollcage 2.
The posibility of picking up the same weapon (which would be used as a power up for the weapon you carry at the moment) would be quite low. But if you caught the same weapon twice .....

G'Kyl
15th April 2004, 10:57 AM
The guys who made WO and 2097/XL, or at least some of them, did that with Quantum Redshift and it worked very well there. I'm not sure it fits the WO-series, though. Had to think about that...

Ben

Rapier Racer
21st April 2004, 08:21 PM
For another wipeout I had a few more thoughts, you may find them a little immature but well..... here goes. Maybe they could have good teams and sort of evil teams :evil:
Perhaps thats a bit far fetched, what about teams that use illegal means and get involved in mysterious illegal activities instead of course they would have to have a story mode for this i think that would be cool 8) It would add more depth to the wipeout world
Along with all the traditionl features of course

yuusen
21st April 2004, 09:50 PM

i like the concept to a point.

its great that you have drawn upon the characters from the original wipeout (if thats what you have done, if not then the connection is there anyhow) and produced an evolution of that idea.

however, i wonder how this would effect the social atmosphere of online play (which there will undoubtedly be). would it create a greater feeling of competition or would it create unjust rivalry?

i think the moral implications of good and evil teams would have to be carefully considered, and not done in a way that would create unnecessary conflict on the track (and in the forums ;)).

¥

Rapier Racer
21st April 2004, 10:19 PM
I think it would be cool, you would have to choose your side, then you could become a traitor! You may either see the light or release the evil within :evil:

Lance
21st April 2004, 10:21 PM
sounds like you want an RPG with racing in it. a whole different kind of game from Wipeout

Shem
21st April 2004, 10:29 PM
IMO, there doesn't have to be an unjust rivalry feel just becouse the storyline indicates certain characters as 'evil' ones.
Do you remember, or have you ever played Ace Combat 3 "Electrosphere" (jap. version)? The plot in this game shows some characters as the evil ones, and that's the first impression. But when you complete the whole game, see all the endings, you'll see that there are no real bad guys init. And so it can be in the storyline of the new wipeout (or 'would be' - the game is in development for some time now, and apart that, it all goes by the creaters thought, not ours).
No real bad guys, just different goals, different ways of achieving them, and some missunderstandings. That would have eliminated the feel of being an evil character. And the plot would be still interesting, I suppose far more complicated.

xEik
21st April 2004, 10:42 PM
Do you remember, or have you ever played Ace Combat 3 "Electrosphere" (jap. version)?
Why did some idiot European guy in a marketing department think that we would prefer to play all the missions one after another without any plot at all or the chance to change sides? I really don't get it. AC3 is still a great game, though. However, the short explanations for some missions don't really make sense without this feature.

I'm not sure if this would work with WO, though. AFAIK in the first WO AG-5Y5 were the good guys (with Pierre Belmondo) while Qirex were the bad guys (sorry Task ;) with Holst McQueen and the reckless Kel Solaar)

Rapier Racer
21st April 2004, 10:42 PM
No lance i still want all the clasic wipeout features with a little story mode!!!! witch could be entirly optional to play or not and would effect no other part of the game, mmm maybe the whoal evil thing went too far, ok lets just say if some pilots cheated in order to win but looked a little nasty....

G'Kyl
22nd April 2004, 05:36 AM
Actually, I think I indeed like the idea of having a seperate story mode, where pilots battle with each other, cheating themselves unfair advantages or disabling the players craft in certain ways (loss of top speed, weapons, airodynamic compartments etc. etc.).
Even though any such thing would entertain most people only for a few minutes. After that everyone will shurely want to return to the real racing, so I wonder whether a story mode should even be considered for a game like Wipeout.

Ben

Task
22nd April 2004, 06:12 AM
xEik: 8 ) They're the Russians, they HAVE to be the "bad guys". I am well reconciled to such things. They are purple and fast, I need know little else.

As to story mode... QR has one. It was nice, but considering that you get the exact same cutscenes every time and you re-run the story a couple times, it's not much of a bonus. Now, if there could be a SERIOUS story mode... Perhaps I should expand.

Imagine a League Mode (yeah, kind of like in Fusion) where you race as your selected pilot, a whole season of racing. So all manner of combinations of tracks and opponents. And after every race, there's a possibility of having some "story element" happen. If a certain pilot loses to you by too much, or if you eliminate someone who took particular offence for example. And this "story element" (yeah, it's a cutscene) has an effect on the next (or perhaps all of the next) races. Your craft is sabotaged for all of the next race, say. Or perhaps one of your team engineers figures out a way to make your airbrakes more powerful for the rest of the season. Whatever. Since it's a League Mode, you can't re-do the race if you don't like your final position, so you don't see the same cutscene over and over. And since the particular story path you take depends on what you do in the races, there isn't much chance of you going through the same story each time you replay the League Mode.

Anyway, something like _that_ might be pretty cool.

But if it were something that was somehow "less", I likely wouldn't be in favour of such a thing.

It's a good thing I don't post very often, since I seem to type a lot.

Shem
22nd April 2004, 07:28 AM
Then it's all or nothing Task!
Either they'd give us a real storyline, or none (and I don't wanna conclude this topic, it's really interesting as a matter of fact). Good point Task!
I'd give a suggestion - to make this more interacitve. You know - to have the opportunity to transfer to other teams, or maybe to become a Lone Wolf on your own, to decide what you'd like to do. These are just some examples.
And alongside it - a normal, W'O. For those who are not interested in a storyline. It would fit to eachother nicely as a whole.

infoxicated
22nd April 2004, 08:47 AM
IMHO, storylines and racing games go together like a president and an intern. Sure, it seems kind of exciting to begin with, but it ends up getting messy and their involvement ruins the credibility of both of them. :wink:

I point towards the sucktacular effort that was TOCA Race Driver as evidence of the above.

By all means, set the scene - create a universe, a back story, etc. But any embellishment on that means I end up racing as a fat, bald, middle-aged brazilian guy (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/features.php?action=display&id=43), or a rug-munching russian transexual. Thanks, but no-thanks!

G'Kyl
22nd April 2004, 10:25 AM
In a way I think you`re right about presidents and interns, but also I believe this mostly because it has never been done _properly_ before. There COULD very well be a story AND a good racing game in one package. They would only have to take care that the story doesn`t compromise the way you race. Races still had to be true to the spirit of being simple, fast and exciting.

Ben

Shem
22nd April 2004, 12:25 PM
The thing I ment was to totally separate Story Mode from regular racing. It would keep the mess out of the game, so I agree Infox. As for the storyline in racing games...well..It sure is embaracing. :wink: But hey, compare this to games mainly for Japanese market - they have to have a storyline even in a Bass Fishing games, so it's not like the plot only fits to RPGs (though it fits the best). On the other hand...we're not living in Japan....(which is known for its...hmm...wackyness :wink: )

P.S. Or maybe look at this - leave the game as it is, leave the plot 'n stuff to official websites and instruction manuals..? (or whatever.....)

zargz
22nd April 2004, 04:48 PM
in a race game i dont wanna race as belmondo or mcRae or whatever
I want to b able to see MY name at the end of the race! 8)

yuusen
22nd April 2004, 05:59 PM

shem : your optimistic outlook has convinced me that it could work and, in fact, amplifiy the feeling of unity found with a good online game as each player that has completed the game will have raced/played through quite an insightful storyline, so long as that is what it is.

i remember that the original wipEout was marketed towards the raver culture. one of the big monikers of usa raver culture was, and hopefully still is, PLUR (peace, love, unity and respect) so a story that tells of people on opposing sides, in a highly competitive environment, coming to or at last illustrating an understanding is very appropriate in my opinion.

¥

Rapier Racer
22nd April 2004, 08:27 PM
in a race game i dont wanna race as belmondo or mcRae or whatever
I want to b able to see MY name at the end of the race!

Not for me, I don't like my own name coming up at the end, take Wipeout Fusion it gave you the opperunity to input your own name but i don't cos it just looks stupid compared to the rest of the pilots names, Wipeout's better cos it's the pilot that you choose who's name comes up

zargz
23rd April 2004, 07:31 AM
Ricardo Van-Uber sounds great to me! :wink: :D :D :D

jrutz
11th May 2004, 05:54 PM
Just read this on Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/11/news_6097100.html):

Today at Sony's E3 press conference, the company showed off the first wave of games for its upcoming portable, the PSP. However, instead of merely announcing titles, SCEA CEO and President Kaz Hirai showed off gameplay footage, although none on the device itself.

Conference attendees were treated to a dizzying video montage of new versions of many classic PlayStation 2 titles which looked almost identical to their original versions. Clips of Gran Turismo, Ridge Racer, Wipeout, Dynasty Warriors, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Medievil, Ape Escape, Spider-Man, Metal Gear Solid, and a Capcom fighting game were shown in rapid succession--and to an enthusiastic response from the crowd.

I popped over to Tim's forums on http://www.coldstorage.org.uk and saw all the posts about a new WipEout for the PSP were deleted. That includes all of the talk about Tim's involvement in the new soundtrack. So hopefully, he is definitely involved in some way.

Any of the CM staff involved as well?

Jeremy

Hybrid Divide
11th May 2004, 10:28 PM
woohoo! :D

Makai
11th May 2004, 11:33 PM
Wooow it's real! :D

Now it's time to find some information about the work-team of this project.

PD.firts reply, hi everybody!

Rapier Racer
11th May 2004, 11:42 PM
Awww no, I want another Wipeout on the PS2, not some copy of an older version on a Gameboy

Hybrid Divide
11th May 2004, 11:46 PM
I have a suggestion to make.

give us the option to load MP3's onto a memory stick and use that to do custom soundtracks on the PSP.

Lance
12th May 2004, 12:48 AM
hi Makai :)

----------

i suspect that the new Wipeout version is already so far along that they won't be taking suggestions. we've been hearing about the PSP for so long already that both the machine and the launch titles must be in the stage of bug-fixing by this time

Rapier Racer
12th May 2004, 02:45 AM
bug-fixing, eech I hope they make a better job of it this time

G'Kyl
12th May 2004, 05:03 AM
Hm... As much as I love the idea of playing Wipeout on an handheld console, I have to agree with Ricardo: I'd rather see an all new installation than a remake.

Then again, I just thought that over, it doesn't really matter. They certainly didn't take manpower away from the WO5 team to build the PSP version, so we won't have to worry I'm sure.

Ben

jrutz
12th May 2004, 11:13 AM
On Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/wipeout/preview_6097315.html) :

It has been awhile since we’ve heard from the Wipeout series. The most recent release, Wipeout Fusion for the PlayStation 2, was released back in 2002, and it didn’t really capture most of the magic that made the previous Wipeout games--specifically Wipeout XL--such smash hits. Now, Sony is planning to release a new Wipeout game on its new portable system, the PSP.

Footage of the new Wipeout game was displayed at Sony’s pre-E3 press conference. Though not much footage was shown, the game looked reasonably solid, showing a typical group of Wipeout-styled racers screaming down the track. The game looked better than your average PlayStation game, but much of the game’s textures didn’t look so hot. Considering that the PSP won’t be out until next year and that next to no details are available on Wipeout, it’s safe to assume that the game is still very much a work in progress.

We’ll have more on the PSP’s new Wipeout game as it becomes available.

And on IGN (http://psp.ign.com/articles/513/513417p1.html):

Wipeout: Another in-betweener, this edition of the Wipeout franchise boasted a lot of boost in its liquid framerate and sense of speed. In the blur of the games show, we kind of lost track of this one, but upon further inspection, the stage modeling looks to easily be on par with Wipeout Fusion.

Jeremy

TsorT
13th May 2004, 04:10 AM
what the hell is PSP anyway ?

rejj
13th May 2004, 04:51 AM
playstation portable. sony's answer to the gba

Animagic
13th May 2004, 08:25 PM

G'Kyl
13th May 2004, 09:07 PM
Widescreen is always a good thing! :) However, I do wonder if I'll get along with haveing to hold the hands that far from each other. I usually prefer having both hands as close to each other as possible: With such a wide screen (!) ;) between them it may feel a little awkward.

Ben

Rapier Racer
13th May 2004, 09:09 PM
Nice pic but erm oh dear I'm sure you'll get a ticking off

Lance
13th May 2004, 09:31 PM
Animagic, nice pic, indeed. but, 109 kb for one image in response to a question by one member when the pic could have been linked to elsewhere? please link it next time instead of posting it in the forum itself. this is your second warning on this subject. we need to be even more concerned about monthly server bandwidth since avatars for everyone are now allowed. please be conservative on pic posting,
and before anyone even mentions it, i said nothing about FoxZero's earlier posting of images from the E3 Sony video this time because of the high degree of interest by probably every member of the forums, and because it's very fresh news.

infoxicated
13th May 2004, 09:38 PM
Animagic - maybe it hasn't struck you yet, but you're not the only person with access to the internet. The image of the PSP is widely available for those who want to look, and posting an image that size is hardly welcome.

"Don't post large images - post a link to them instead so that folk on a slow connection can at least choose to view them or not."
- From the forum guidelines, which I am sure you read before posting, huh?

:roll:

Animagic
14th May 2004, 02:04 PM
Animagic - maybe it hasn't struck you yet, but you're not the only person with access to the internet. The image of the PSP is widely available for those who want to look, and posting an image that size is hardly welcome.

"Don't post large images - post a link to them instead so that folk on a slow connection can at least choose to view them or not."
- From the forum guidelines, which I am sure you read before posting, huh?

Animagic, nice pic, indeed. but, 109 kb for one image in response to a question by one member when the pic could have been linked to elsewhere? please link it next time instead of posting it in the forum itself. this is your second warning on this subject. we need to be even more concerned about monthly server bandwidth since avatars for everyone are now allowed. please be conservative on pic posting,
and before anyone even mentions it, i said nothing about FoxZero's earlier posting of images from the E3 Sony video this time because of the high degree of interest by probably every member of the forums, and because it's very fresh news.

alright. sorry I posted it.

Lance
14th May 2004, 06:34 PM
this is not about just one member, but applies to image posting in general, so everybody should read it, please, even though it does contain a couple of comments specific to this one instance.

Animagic, i see that you've highlighted the portion of my previous post that would indicate why you might have thought it would be okay to post the image you did. you should have also highlighted the part about posting a pic devoting 109 kilobytes to one image in response to one question from one person that only required a text answer. i can understand why, you, as a graphics artist, tend to think in graphics rather than text, but in light of the fact that you and i had already talked about this very topic recently and also due to your statement that you are yourself connected to the net by dial-up, i would have thought that you would have been reluctant to do this sort of thing again.

think about it also from the server bandwidth point of view. not all of our 500+ members in the forums come here frequently, but even so, a single thread and any images therein are downloaded many many times per day. large images or even sequences of small images add up at a tremendous rate, and all bandwidth beyond the monthly limit is subject to an extra charge. we are not exactly swamped by members volunteering to pay the basic charge, much less the cost of overruns.
[edit: see infox's comment about this in the following post]

i don't speak for any moderators but myself, but here is my policy: i try to be moderate in my moderation, and i often allow exceptions to some guidelines, though not all guidelines. the object is to provide as much fun and information as practical circumstances allow. the guidelines are there because all of our members are in a position to make judgements about what's posted and what isn't; they make the call about what they post. the moderators are here for those times when the members make an excessively bad judgement, or at least what the moderators consider to be such. so, yes, you will sometimes see the moderators allowing postings that are not within the strictest limits of the guidelines. you may even see a moderator make posts not within the strictest limits of the guidelines. you might even see a moderator make a mistake.

the reason we came down hard this time is because it had already been talked of before with the same member, and because the value of the pic was misjudged to a high degree. i don't feel that we were unfair to allow an exception for the stills extracted from the E3 video. what should we do in order to be fair? should we absolutely ban all posting of pics because a few members occasionally show bad judgement? that doesn't seem like the right solution, does it?

should we have made our comments in private? i think that all the members should be aware of this issue, and should be aware of the reasoning behind it, so i tend to make comments in public. anyone who is being moderated is not being singled out as the one and only person to have done this. oh, no, there have been others before you. :) and no doubt there will be others to come who will be reminded of the guidelines and the reasons behind them. just please everyone exercise better judgement, okay? does it really require a pic? does the pic really need to be xxx kilobytes to show enough detail or to get the information across? [we should think to ourselves, ''do i really want to make infox pay extra this month?'' {edit: see infox's comment in the next post concerning wz server bandwidth}] you know, that sort of thing. think about it first. no one who posts pics in the forums should be surprised if sometimes the moderators don't agree about how well justified the bandwidth use might be. it's usually better to just post links to the pics rather than using html tags to embed them in your posts. and that goes for all of us.

infoxicated
14th May 2004, 07:07 PM
Just an FYI, Lance, but images hosted off site do not contribute to our bandwidth use. That wasn't the issue, it was the stretching of the forum width wise and the weight (physical size of the file) of it that I thought we could do without.

Lance
14th May 2004, 07:16 PM
d of helium
''you might even see a moderator make a mistake.'' :D
that's what i get for writing long posts when i'm either not really awake or i'm wearing mental blinders.

anyway, it sure contributes to user bandwidth. which was my original point, i guess. still goes for avatars and sigs, right?

[goes to get his first cup of tea for the day]

infoxicated
14th May 2004, 07:27 PM
Yes, the avatars will count towards our bandwidth - which is why all of the ones I created are less than 2k

AmishRobot didn't know I was trying to keep the file sizes so small when he mailed me his contributions, but even most of his come in at under 3k and the largest one is the original Auricom logo at just a shade over 5k.

We'll be able to see what sort of effect it's having to the bandwidth in a few weeks. :)

science
21st June 2004, 05:36 AM
www.wipeoutpure.com
The webspace is bought up by playstation, wonder when we'll see some content?

Dragonforce-Europe
24th September 2004, 08:12 AM
i never played wipeout fushion. and i am stuck with WIP3OUT SE. which isnt a bad game at all.

megashock5
6th October 2004, 12:57 PM
Hello all! I just registered, I'm really excited to have found this site.

Anyway, what do you guys think the chances of Pure being released for PS2 at some later date are, since most of the PSP titles are ports of PS2 games?

I *really* want a new WO, but I can't see dropping that kind of cash on a handheld.

thanks!

Rapier Racer
6th October 2004, 01:03 PM
I want that to happen I really do but doubt that it will, reasons why are listed in another thread somwhere...

xEik
6th October 2004, 02:29 PM
Although this is old news, it probably is still relevant.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/03/03/sony_confirms_psp_to_ps2/
So the port should be possible but it is unlikely to happen.

By the way, welcome to the WipeoutZone forums.

megashock5
6th October 2004, 03:57 PM
Thanks, xEik!

What a shame. With the reports of the PSP pricing at $300 or higher (all rumor at this point, I know) I'll probably never get to play the new WO after waiting years for one. Just can't see paying that for a handheld when new conoles for that price should be coming in less than two years.

It's very disappointing. I'd be happy with a new WO title for PS2 that's not the same as the PSP one, but we probably would have heard something by now.

G'Kyl
6th October 2004, 05:33 PM
Well, maybe Sony wants to make money with the PSP until next generation consoles hit the market and then lower the prize for the portable? Prizes go down anyway after a while, and this way Sony could have a console as well as portable on the market while charging both properly. Although I do of course know how much speculation this all is... ;)

Btw: Welcome to the WOZ. :)

Ben

DaMiGi63
6th October 2004, 09:49 PM
Hey,I did'nt know that there was a prize,what's the prize and how do you win...? :D :P

G'Kyl
7th October 2004, 05:40 AM
Oh my, such a silly mistake. I still hope everyone got the idea that I was talking about how much a PSP will cost us - not Sony. ;)

Ben

DaMiGi63
7th October 2004, 11:54 PM
I was only kidding :D ,I knew what you were meaning :wink: ,I was only having a little fun on your gaffe,thats all :P