PDA

View Full Version : So what's everyone playing now?

Piranha Advancements
16th November 2003, 06:41 PM
I have 10 backlog games that need to be finished.Pronto amigo.Girls and games don't mix well.Unless liquified to boiling point I think.Physics suck!

Currently playing...

SSX3
Dynasty Tactics 2
Suikoden3
Gladius
Soul Calibur 2
Pro Evo 3
.hack:outbreak
Chaos Legion
AC:Silent Line
Castlevania:Lament

SSX 3..drool.Pity I'm wasting more time on Dynasty Tactics 3 tho.

rhys
16th November 2003, 08:00 PM
Mmmmmmm ssx3 :D

Great game, just about all i'm playing recently :(

TYSON
16th November 2003, 09:24 PM
Wow, you have a good taste in games.

never heard of that new Castlevania game (Lament) geez i love that series, don't think i know anyone that doesn't like them.

Is SSX 3 much different to the first 2?

:wink:

Lance
16th November 2003, 09:49 PM
my few gaming moments are still being spent almost entirely on F355 Challenge [Dreamcast]
[track i do the best on: Suzuka short]
[track i love the most: Laguna Seca]

lunar
16th November 2003, 11:41 PM
currently playing: formula one 2003
next playing: Pro Evolution Soccer 3 :D :D :D
always with half an eye on: Wipeout 3SE

I`d also like to know if SSX3 is as crazy and as fun as Tricky, and whether its a challenge.

zaarock
17th November 2003, 11:22 AM
hmm..... well the game im playing most right now is

1. :D The good ol StarCraft Broodwar lol im becoming a xpert at UMS map making :)
2. Ferazels Wand a old game too but it rulz i got it 4 years ago its only for mac 8) g00 Ferazel!
3. hmmm ah! Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance( waitin for II ) :-?
4. SSX tricky lol jus started playing that old game again :P
5. hmmmmmmm EV nova! when i get its full version its gonna be numba 1 the game rules big time!!! :)

jmoid
17th November 2003, 05:44 PM
Just borrowed SSX Tricky which is nice to play in short bursts, also found an intermediate friendly server to play Unreal Tournament so that's been dusted off (as I've just got broadband). I (pretty much) finished F Zero GX and but must admit I haven't been all that tempted to go back and get better race times.

Piranha Advancements
17th November 2003, 05:58 PM
I think it's really safe to say that SSX3 rocks.Tons of stuff to unlock,it's hella addictive,it's hella beautiful,the characters are hella cool as ever(ooh Elise..yummy..) and it's fun as hella.

Oh yeah,anyone checked out Stuff's issue with Krista Allen on the cover? One of the fashion sections had the cast of SSX in it wearing Hillfigers,Diesel etc.Granted they just drew their heads on the models body but still,way cool.Somebody asked if SSX 3 is crazy.Try getting Platinums.Whoo.Anybody bothered or even tempted to even buy XGRA? Don't bother.Well actually,the menu interface and music is very good actually.Great track designs IMO too.But cons are there are too little tracks and it's way too easy.Finished and unlocked everything in a space of 12 hrs of non stop play.Disappointed at the end.

Also waiting very much for Baldur's Gate 2.That should rock my world so much.And Castlevania:Lament of Innocence is the new Castlevania game,Tyson.Now off to more Dynasty tactics 2.

Wamdue
22nd November 2003, 09:51 AM
Currently playing Jak II : Renegade , Final Fantasy Tactics Advance ( that game is so addictive ) and some multiplayer Halo on the pc and I just recently finished playing rainbow six 3 and of course Ive been playing F-Zero GX and Super Monkeyball, but my GAME memorycard for the gamecube is starting to give up so Im afraid to spend several hours unlocking stuff only to see the data getting corrupt and deleted. My next game will be nsrf or top spin. HI everybody btw, havent been here for a while.. been working my ass off on assignments this month but now I fineally got a window of time when I dont have any major stuff to complete.

infoxicated
23rd November 2003, 12:04 PM
Good to see you back, Wam :)

Yesterday I trated in a sh*tload of games and got three new ones plus a network adapter for my PS2. :)

Spent last night playing NFS Underground, although I have Tony Hawks Underground and Hardware Online Arena too.

Must dash back downstairs now I've got the net connection back - last step in configuring the Network Adapter and I'll be spending the rest of the day getting my ass whooped online! :lol:

Piranha Advancements
23rd November 2003, 05:41 PM
Holy crap you alrweady bought NFS:Underground!! How is it? Details please! Oh drool,don't fail me now..

Wamdue
23rd November 2003, 06:28 PM
Ive bought so many games these last months.. I think its about 12-13 games.. So lately Ive been making rules for myself.. like "I wont buy a new game until Ive finished this one". Doesnt work tho heheheh but except drawing tools and cookies there isnt much Im spending money on.. so Ive got money to waste on anime/games.. atleast for now. Infox, when are you getting online on Live? ;) you know, theres a pretty good xmas bundle for the xbox. btw. Anyone played Unlimited Saga for the ps2?

infoxicated
23rd November 2003, 11:06 PM
Wamdue - never! I wont ever own an X-Box, simple as that. I have two PS2's and pretty much every game I want to play will be on PS2.

Holy crap you alrweady bought NFS:Underground!! How is it? Details please! Oh drool,don't fail me now..Erm... the jury is still out on that one, I'm afraid. The racing is hampered by invisible walls that catch your car. It can ruin a race in an instant and is exceptionally annoying.

It has "shortcuts" too, or rather, roads that just become the racing line because failing to take them means you lose the race. I knew they existed, but I hoped the online tracks would be more rigid... they're not.*sigh*

The upgrade system is a pile of crap too - you have to "unlock" upgrades, and you have to install one level of upgrade before the one above. An example: you have to put level one tyres on the car before you can put level two tyres on the car. Once you've done all the upgrades you're allowed, you have to wade through the linear "story" - usually about ten more races before you can have the next level of upgrades.

That pisses me off, 'cos I'm not remotely interested in buying lots of vinyl to decorate the car, I just want to upgrade it. When you have over 20,000 dollars in your account and you're not allowed to upgrade your car, that kind of inforces the fact you're playing a badly designed game, rather than being immersed in the seedy underground of nocturnal NOS use.

And I'm not being too harsh on the game design here - you have to win a race on a track in Underground mode before it's unlocked to practice on in quick race mode...which is totally stupid. You end up pissing away your win percentage just on re-starts due to the ropey collision detection and the AI taking shortcuts you haven't found yet.

I really wanted to like the game... I really really did... but it's going to be one of the ones I simply tollerate until a better online racing game comes out.

The online implementation is poor, also, and the lobby is full of ass-clowns too - since there's no way to see how good someones car is when they challenge you (other than refusing the challenge, hunting them down on the list and checking out their car), you end up with a whole load of challenges from ass-hats who have their car upgraded so far beyond yours it's a joke. I raced one guy called "emanHKS" - he had this monster Celica, yet on his profile it just shows as "Celica", he beat me by half a lap and I didn't put a foot wrong. I raced a couple of guys like that before getting pissed off with it and playing Hardware instead. :|

The word on the street is, beware - NFS Underground is flawed in ways I never seen mentioned in any of the reviews I read - and I read a whole lot.

Piranha Advancements
24th November 2003, 04:08 PM
I'm reading your message while playing it now.Just bought it actually couple hours ago and doing some unsaved hands-on game play testing.

So far,I'm like 3 or 4 races into it but breezing through as yes,as you said,the racing line is the route with the shortcuts (but glaringly obvious) at my point of progress.And the blatant linearity of the tracks but that's expected from past NFS.You HAVE to take the shortcuts.Not having much trouble with anything so far..(they got Asian Dub Foundation and Rancid..whoo!) but that's just a couple minutes in this game so far and maybe,perspectives will change over time.I really really want to enjoy this game as I do past NFS-es..

Also bought myself FFX-2 and Manhunt..It's a dark sick take on reality TV, a rush to play in the dark and sickeningly lovely to kill! Kill! Kill! Its easy for those with GTA experience to jump in but cameras/controls get twitchy when stealthing tho and one of the annoying nuances when starting out.Liking it so far.

Havent started on FFX-2 and with the amount of games I have to finish at the moment,I have to think of silly excuses for my girlfirend and lock myself in.

infoxicated
24th November 2003, 04:30 PM
One thing I would advise with the audio on NFSU is to go into the options menu and set all of the "race only" tracks to play in the menus too, with the "all" option. Otherwise the menu music can get hella samey after a very short while. Not to mention that there are some gems in there that are "race only" and you barely notice them in the heat of a drag race, for instance. :)

I've loaned my copy of SSX3 to someone, but when I get it back I'll be able to see the disparity between different EA games' online implementation, as apparently SSX3 has all the lobby features that NFSU does not. :roll:

Wamdue
25th November 2003, 10:41 PM
I bought the game today, and when I got home I played it for 6-7 hours straight.. Of all the games Ive bought the past 6 months theres only been 3 wich Ive played an all-nighter with.. nfs:u, star wars:kotor and Final fantasy Tactics advance. All three of them constantly feed you with some kind of reward.. exp, new classes, new weapons > < new parts,new decals, more power and it doesnt take long to get started. Even tho nfs:u lack the depth of a Gran Turismo it sure has better instant-gameplay, you dont need to bother knowing much about the parts you buy/get and it doesnt take you long to get started with racing either. Ive noticed some invisable walls and stuff like you said that suddenly flip your car upside-down and ruin the race.. What irritates me even more is the random traffic, In some races you solely have to depend on pure luck.. And I think the AI is more aggressive than it needs to be.. One some tracks when there is a 90degree turn right after the start youll see the three competing cars driving straight forward only concentrating on ramming eachother and then they get stuck. But despite the AI's flaws , invisable walls and dumb shortcuts its still a very entertaining game I think. Its too bad EA Games is behaving like 12yr olds and boycotting Live.

btw, does anyone know when FFX2 is coming to Europe?

infoxicated
26th November 2003, 08:20 AM
I think. Its too bad EA Games is behaving like 12yr olds and boycotting Live. I'm glad, actually - at least it gives me the option of playing other PS2 owners or PC owners when I go online, rather than the walled garden of xbox live. If only Nintendo hadn't been even slower out of the gate with their online plans than Sony, they could join the party too.

Having said that, after ten hour of gameplay I've decided that NFSU is gash and if I can get a refund or a swap it'll be sitting back on the shelves of Game by this afternoon.

Piranha Advancements
26th November 2003, 06:45 PM
Here you go,Warmdue.And I'm loving NFSU.Gonna make that Orange Julius RX-7.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/finalfantasyx2/news_6075549.html

zargz
26th November 2003, 08:50 PM
soul reaver fot the ps1 - yesterday I made my self go to bad at 4.30 am (u_u)

Wamdue
27th November 2003, 12:07 AM
thanks for the link! Ive gotten totally hooked on Square Enix's games since FFT:A.. the only game ill ever need for the GBA.. If you spend a lot of time on travelling its worth getting a gba with fft:a, the time will fly :)

Mano
27th November 2003, 01:11 AM
Hey infox i see you got underground pretty quick (just like me, i couldnt wait), well after a couple of days playing the game they gave me an eclipse on underground mode ( i am on 68/112 i think), here are some pics of it (i have some unique vinyls but dont wanna use them since they dont look so good after all) :

http://espanol.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mangelck/vwp?.dir=/underground&.dnm=eclipse1.jpg&.view=t

http://espanol.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mangelck/vwp?.dir=/underground&.dnm=eclipse2.jpg&.view=t

*(for the pics i turned antialiasing and anisotrpic filtering all the way up (looks really nice)

i wish i could put bigger pics to share but yahoo doesnt let me, if anyone knows of a free service that could host my pics plz tell me.

ppl, post links to your cars!!!, would be nice to see them... (i can at least share game related stuff in this game since i cannot use my emulator times here for wipeout series :(, remember that ps2 i was supposed to get?, well i didnt :((()

Task
27th November 2003, 03:30 AM
I've actually been out of the gaming for a little while (since, you know, Castle Of The Winds doesn't really count) so now that I'm all settled in my new place I've been getting back into the games I've been missing. Since the tables are down I've been keeping away from the WO (for now, I'll be back, have no doubts there) and since I don't have an XBox here I can't Tekki or QR, so I picked up Star Wars Racer.

I enjoy playing the arcade version, so I figured the home version would be good. It's not as fast as WO, and the tracks are wide (so much of Fusion is from podracing, it bothers me), but it's got some really good points to it. For one, the control scheme is awesome. Not only is there the regular right-left steering and nose control, but you can also kind of "stack" your engines, kind of like turning the whole craft on its side, really good for getting through narrow gaps. Mostly it's there for show, it doesn't seem to have much of an effect besides making you narrower (yeah, a-la-Millennium Falcom, of course).
There's also the boost, which you turn on and doesn't turn off till you take your foot off the gas, which will overheat your engines for some nice damage. There's also a "slide" button which I haven't had much use for yet, since my controller doesn't allow for so many buttons. 8 P
The upgrade system is nice, you can only maintain 4 parts, the rest have to stay "stock" (read as: unmodified) or they'll pick up damage and degrade (you have a limited pit crew). All the pieces you get automatically swap to whatever vehicle you drive. There are a lot of different tracks...
Anyway, lots of fun. I wouldn't stick with it too long (it doesn't have the serious staying power of other racing games) but it's proving to be a good holdover till I get back into the more serious gaming. 8 )

Wamdue
27th November 2003, 02:39 PM
awesome design mano. I'll prolly post pics this weekend ( lost my usb cable for the camera when I moved so ill try using the scanner's memory card ports instead in Kalmar)

I change my car constantly, Right now its a RSX with reflective violette color with the unique vinyl of the violette rose with medium blue tinted windows and shadow bumpers and with lavender neon.

Anyone experienced that your xbox suddenly shuts itself down? Happened to me 2 times tonight

Mano
27th November 2003, 07:09 PM
awesome design mano. I'll prolly post pics this weekend ( lost my usb cable for the camera when I moved so ill try using the scanner's memory card ports instead in Kalmar)

I change my car constantly, Right now its a RSX with reflective violette color with the unique vinyl of the violette rose with medium blue tinted windows and shadow bumpers and with lavender neon.

Anyone experienced that your xbox suddenly shuts itself down? Happened to me 2 times tonight

Does the xbox resets itself or does it completely turns off?, could be the plug that is loose, or it could mean that it is heating up too much (since you are in Sweden i dont think hot temperature is the problem), also check if the fans have stopped spinning or something, other than that it could be a bug in a game; i remember Fifa doing that when i had a ps2 (oh gt3 how i miss you...).

about underground, nice description, havent tried the rsx, when i got it i was using an impreza and then switched to an integra i think, gonna try it; i already unlocked an rx7 and an skyline gt-r34, here are the pics:

http://espanol.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mangelck/vwp?.dir=/underground&.dnm=rx7-a.jpg&.view=t

http://espanol.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mangelck/vwp?.dir=/underground&.dnm=rx7-b.jpg&.view=t

(if i could put a decepticon icon decal on the hood that rx7 would look really really tight)

http://espanol.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mangelck/vwp?.dir=/underground&.dnm=skyline1.jpg&.view=t

http://espanol.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mangelck/vwp?.dir=/underground&.dnm=skyline2.jpg&.view=t

the skyline is a great car, i has great accel, top speed, and handling, but for some reason i ejoyed more driving the rx7 (even tho it performs a very little bit lower than the skyline)

Mano
27th November 2003, 07:28 PM
here, i posted my screenshots on a better server, they are at a better size now:

http://groups.msn.com/Mano/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=12

http://groups.msn.com/Mano/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=14

http://groups.msn.com/Mano/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=15

http://groups.msn.com/Mano/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=16

http://groups.msn.com/Mano/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=17

http://groups.msn.com/Mano/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=18

i still think that a decepticon icon decal on the hood of the rx7 would look very nice.

-- ------------------------------------------------------

**edit

Finished the game, on hard difficulty all events, my skyline looks like this now:

http://groups.msn.com/Mano/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=19

http://groups.msn.com/Mano/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=20

infoxicated
28th November 2003, 08:46 AM
since you are in Sweden i dont think hot temperature is the problem Ha ha!

Mano - does the handling actually improve to the point where it's bareable?

I don't know if I can be bothered with the effort needed to get that far, but if it does become better then I might hang on to it simply for the online play :)

Mano
28th November 2003, 07:11 PM
Yeah, everything improves a lot specially with the top models (skyline, rx-7, etc.); its much more enjoyable, more sense of speed etc. Im not going to say its exactly like gran turismo 3 (my favorite imports racing game), but its like it in the way it begins to feel better the better (and more tuned) your car is.

learning how the car reacts with the different shifts really makes you master all the turns in the game, Im very sure you drive in manual, since i have seen you post about formula 1 games, but for what its worth im just going to say this: manual is the ONLY way to enjoy a racing game :), as in this case (and every other racing game i can think of) driving in manual gives you a lot of control.

the annoying car-coming-out-of-nowhere traffic is still there, but youll learn the key points to prevent it and after mastering those points it becomes fun to dodge the traffic you know, like swerving left to dodge a car then making a straight line between a group of columns and another car (i like the stadium track, a lot) , or jumping over them; the tracks are a little repetitive, but fun.

Online is fun, just make sure you enter with a very tricked ride, and have patience for the ocassional cheater that pops in (i hope they figure out a way to eliminate cheats soon, but its a new game so it was expected *damn its now expected to have cheaters!! how far have they come :x :evil:*).

The game has its flaws, but its very fun, altho EA really really has to patch up the game (btw theres a patch out already that fixes some stuff)

**made a mistake in track names and corrected it, i previously typed olympic square but i meant stadium track, now corrected**

infoxicated
29th November 2003, 12:51 PM
I guess the patch would only be useful if I was using the PC version, though.

I put a lot more time in last night - around five hours, actually. I didn't race online until after 1am here, and happened to bump into one of our members here; F33dM3 :)

He wouldn't race me for some reason, though... perhaps like everyone else online, when it said the challenge was "even" he refused! ;)

I actually added someone to my block list for the first time last night - somebody was trying to set up a game for newbies and this ass-clown in a totally tricked out Skyline kept joining the races, so I just added the idiot to my block list.

There are so many folk online who just seem to want to rack up a lot of easy victories with awesome cars and use them against those with poorer cars. It's kind of ironic that they are so proud of their win/loss record, yet they attained a high win percentage simply by picking on newbies.

I have won only a single race against somebody who was rated as Easy against me - I usually challenge folk with an Even car, yet they always refuse. :roll:

Well, I'm going to put some more time into the game today - you are right about the handling becoming better, Mano - it's just the invisible walls that piss me off right now. :D

Task
29th November 2003, 01:24 PM
8 ) It takes a skilled driver to win a fair race. You can guess how good a driver they are by whether or not they accept your "fair" challenge.

I don't know if you drive or not, but if you do then I'm sure you're aware of just how good a driver most people are. 8 P

Lance
29th November 2003, 03:10 PM
drivers in the real world usually either have no skills, or no judgement. it's rare for skill and judgement to come together in one driver

Mano
29th November 2003, 07:58 PM
I guess the patch would only be useful if I was using the PC version, though./..../it's just the invisible walls that piss me off right now. :D

Oh, i supposed you had the pc version, my mistake; i havent found any invisible wall yet, maybe the pc version is free of those... what does bother me is the little objects like corners of a contention barrier embedded in a wall (why the hell would you have a contention barrier in a WALL, just paint the wall red and white dammit :D), those are laying around the apex of some curves and others in the exit of the curve, keeping me from doing faster lines, theres even a little ramp in a corner of a curve exit in olympic square (!) why put that??, it is obvious it was designed on purpose, but for what? to prevent doing a faster curve???, i dont think ppl would fall on that ramp often as its very easy to rememeber where it is, its just annoying.

Im really really enjoying my skyline and rx7, both are a real pleasure to drive as they breeze trough curves and the ones they dont beeze through, they force themselves into :D, straight lines well... you know this cars in straight lines....more so with N20... :D

My handle online is ManuelChau, contact me guys if you see me there!

Wamdue
29th November 2003, 09:07 PM
nfsu sure is fun but.. everytime I quit playing its always because of some challenge involving Heavy Traffic.. I line up for a perfect curve and WHAM a truck changes lane or comes around the corner and my race is ruined.. I now use the supra, its a bit slower than the RSX but the feeling of driving a car in a game wich youve actually been in is so much more fun hehe. Too bad I dont use the online service for the ps2 I would gladly have challenged you guys but I intend to get it when a game like Killzone gets released. So far there doesnt seem to be many good titles to play online on the ps2, and when Killzone gets released Ill hopefully have my 100mbit connection up.

Mano
30th November 2003, 03:34 AM
Hi Wamdue, what was the deal with your Xbox?, did you fix it?.

Wamdue
30th November 2003, 10:12 AM
cant tell, it works ok now but who knows, it could shut itself down any minute i guess.. Might be something with the cable, because the xbox is supposed to show a signal of some sort if its overheated, like flashing red and orange powerbutten or something like that.

infoxicated
30th November 2003, 12:32 PM
I finally had my fill of NFS last night - like you, Wam, I always seem to find the challenges involving traffic more frustrating than fun. Actually, most of the races up to this point have been more frustrating than fun.

I cant remember a racing game that has pissed me off more than this... even Toca Race Driver! :lol:

I will be going for a swap tomorrow morning with it - I put in all of Friday night and pretty much all of last night and it was just doing my head in. It should be called "Need For Speed: Pause - Restart - Yes" because that's what every race consists of for several attempts until you manage to avoid all the edges / objects that ruin a race.

Wamdue
30th November 2003, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I did have a lot of fun with nfsu tho.. Some races where excellent.. but the traffic just ruins most races.. I can deal with the weird ledges and the extremly small ramps that flip your car because I know where they are.. If the traffic hadnt been random I might have been able to deal with it better too. I gotta admit, nfsu has the best sensation of speed Ive ever seen in a racing game. And the way they portrait the night in the city is excellent, the feeling is totally there, just look at all the lights, theyve managed to capture all the colors and details in how a night looks and feels like in a city. I might swap the game and pick up Prince of Persia this week.

infoxicated
1st December 2003, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I totally agree there - they managed to capture exactly how it looks to drive at high speed in the dark. Shame they didn't spend a little more time trying to capture exactly how it feels to drive at high speed in the dark!

It's gone now, though - managed to get a swap this morning. My totally tricked out Eclipse is just a collection of 1's and 0's waiting to be wiped from my memory card, which it will be when I get home. :D

The bummer was that there was nothing worth getting a swap for - I picked up MoH: Rising Sun because it was the equivalent price, but it looks like crap and since TimeSplitters 2 is still the best FPS action there is on the PS2, I doubt it'll come close. It does have online play, though, so it may keep me going until TimeSplitters 3 arrives. 8)

science
1st December 2003, 05:42 PM
I saw a review of Project Gotham Racing 2 that gave it 9.5's across the board. Anyone played it?

infoxicated
1st December 2003, 05:53 PM
I guess with X-Box reviews you have to take into account the "bunch of faceless games" factor.

I mean, gee - it's up against so many other hot games on the X-Box this xmas that 9.5 really makes it stand above the crowd! :lol: :P :wink:

Seriously, though - it does look very good. If I ever stoop low enough to line Bill Gates' pockets then I'd have to take a look at it.

infoxicated
1st December 2003, 07:45 PM
Oh.
My.
God.

Medal of Honour : Rising Scum truly pushes the boundaries of how much excrement you can fit on one disk. I have rarely had the excruciating misfortune to play, never mind own, a "game" as poor as this.

And I use the term "play" so loosely that if watching demo-footage of a game through a telescope counted as "playing", well, MoH : Rising Scum would rank below that.

Although not advertised on the packaging, the game features "bullet-time" quite extensively. In fact, the whole first mission is spent predominantly in "bullet-time", yet for some reason, unlike Max Payne or Enter The Matrix, the player character also seems to slow down along with everything else.

It's like EA wrote a game that could only possibly run at a decent frame rate on that Deep Blue super-computer that gives chess Grandmasters the run around every so often. And instead of thinking "woah - it'll be PS3 before this sloppy code can run smoothly on a console" they wrote a Deep Blue emulator for the PS2 and stuck it in the shops anyway.

I know I wasn't enjoying NFSU... but... but... when I got a swap I expected to get a frickin' game in return, not just a collection of poor cut scenes and the worst rendition of a first person shooter actually on sale in the shops! :o

Avoid this game like nothing you have ever avoided before. I'm talking suppositories, kidney failure, fallen power lines during a rain storm - that kind of thing. If someone offers to sell you this, even at half price, run screaming like you would if you were doused in petrol and they were offering you a light.

Hybrid Divide
1st December 2003, 10:29 PM
That was a hilarious review Infox.

Thanks, I was thinking about renting that game. But I saved my money instead, went to EB a few hours later and found a copy of WipEout XL for the PC for about the same price! :D

Bonus!

science
2nd December 2003, 01:39 AM
That's really a shame. The previews looked so good. I actually saw a little making of thing in the theatre a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty interesting. I was looking forward to playing it... not anymore I suppose.

Wamdue
2nd December 2003, 07:50 AM
infox, trade it in for Prince of persia Sands of time.. kick ass game..The controls are extremly smooth , the camera is allright, the graphics is really nice too.. and the concept is just awesome, its like the prince of persia as an old man is telling the story.. and youre playing it, and when you die or fail he´ll say stuff like "no no no, thats not the way it happened.. " the fighting system feels quite random at the beginning but has more depth to it once you get comfortable with it. It feels like a very polished game. The only thing I can complain about is that the voices in the cutscenes are a wee bit low.

infoxicated
2nd December 2003, 08:25 AM
You know, it was a choice between the two. The only reason I didn't get PoP is because they're selling it at half price if you buy another game at the same time.

Since I'll probably get Battlestar Gallactica in a couple of weeks, I thought I'd pick it up then. :|

Piranha Advancements
2nd December 2003, 01:15 PM
Guess you confirmed it for me,Fox. I was quite surprised when Gamespy gave MoH:Rising Sun a poor review and from the screenshots,it looked crap and the comments it received were scathing even from Gamefaqs.

Since you were horrified / traumatised by it,that's one off the list.Guess NFSU wasnt to your liking,huh..I however,will be spending much time in my Miata.Damn @#$%^ race 72

science
4th December 2003, 09:55 PM
this is perhaps the most stimulating game i have ever come across...
http://www.hairybullet.com/hosted/syndicatesdomain/Pages/Games/GrandPrix/GrandPrix.php

rodwipE
10th December 2003, 07:40 PM
I just finished Dino Crisis 3, and I'll probably never play it again, which is a shame, because Dino Crisis 2 is one of my favourite games ever. However I did put about 200 hours into Chaos Legion over the last few months so I'm not ready to dismis Capcom just yet.
I got XGRA a couple of weeks back, but it was no challenge at all and I managed to beat and unlock everything first shot, so that went straight back on the shelf next to Dino Crisis 3.
Quantum Redshift is the game that's really giving me a run for my money at the moment. I'm alternating that with Otogi and I've got Clock Tower 3, House Of The Dead 3 and Panzer Dragoon Orta waiting in the wings.

Synthetic Consciousness
11th December 2003, 03:10 AM
Just realized I haven't been here in a while...! :lol:

I recently bought Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (still working through Frost's Konquest), and Midway Arcade Treasures, which I love. The games are just as I remember them, and it's a blast to play 720 Degrees, Robotron 2084, Sinistar, and Roadblasters again. Come Yule, I'm forseeing myself getting more games (as my parents know how much of a game nutter I am). Yes, I'm using the term "nutter", now. I blame it on hanging around you guys here. :P

Happy holidays, guys! :D

infoxicated
11th December 2003, 08:31 AM
:)

I've been playing WRC3 quite a bit over the last week or two, and I have to say that this year it is a cracking game. The handling / physics of the car which were so awful last year are now pretty spot on, allowing you to chuck them around the terain with considerable control with a bit of practice.

A cool feature is the way the cars upgrade when you put in the mileage - you'll get a screen saying that with all the time spent in the car, the engineers have come up with a new evolution of it, upgrading the handling, or resiliance to damange - stuff like that. So far I've just been using the Mitsibishi Lancer and I'm on the fifth evolution of it. There are also Extreme and Concept version to unlock.

Highlights have to be the rally of Germany and Finland. They are absolute blast-fests, stage four of Germany is some of the finest video game driving I have ever experienced - you can make the car absolutely sing through the fast, sweeping straights, and the draw distance gives a great sense of immersion in a huge landscape.

Sadly it's let down slightly by very robotic co-driver feedback, and juddering in the replays which have previously been a strong point of WRC. Despite those niggles, I can highly recomend this game. :)

Roger
11th December 2003, 11:07 AM
I've been busy playing games on my Dreamcast lately: Soul Calibur and Rez. Today, I grabbed a copy of V-Rally 2, I'll probably get it in the mail on monday. Also bought a vibration pak (Gettin' ready to rumble :P )

TYSON
12th December 2003, 02:13 AM
Hi Infox,
I was laughing so hard from that MoH: Rising Sun warning! lol. That's actually really disapointing to hear, my brother really loves this series, not sure how i'm going to stop him from buying it... oh well it's his prob. As for NFS:U, i've never been a big fan of the NFS's anyway, apart from maybe 3 & 4. I'll avoid that one as well, thanks.

What were you saying was the best First Person Shooter? Timesplitters or something?

Synthetic Consciousness wrote:

I recently bought Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (still working through Frost's Konquest), and Midway Arcade Treasures, which I love

Yeah I bought this one too, finished it all, wasn't that impressed with it though, I now never play it. Oh well, might swap it.

:wink:

infoxicated
12th December 2003, 08:19 AM
TimeSplitters 2 is by far the best FPS on the PS2 - its only weakness is that there is no online play, but since it came out almost a year before online play arrived for the PS2, that can be forgiven.

The story mode is great, the music is fantastic, and the amount of challenges and unlockables is just a feast of gaming. And 4 player split screen (or networked if you have the kit) is just superb. :)

Bob Todd
12th December 2003, 03:38 PM
Been replaying Ratchet & Clank and playing Devil May Cry recently. DMC is a fantastic little game - if I'd known I'd love it so much I'd've bought it when it first came out. I'm currently trying to beat Mundus in Hard mode. A DMC3 is in the pipeline, and is being overseen by the same dude who oversaw the first one (I really didn't like DMC2), woo yay! And Capcom are making a DMC film also .

Am getting R&C2 and Jak II for xmas, and am looking forward to buying SSX3 (love Tricky).

Emperor
10th January 2004, 06:40 PM
I´m playing WipEout Fusion, Need for Speed Underground and Pro Evolution Soccer 3 8)

stin
10th January 2004, 11:07 PM
Right now I have been playing Wipeou3t SE :wink: and I`m loving it right now!!! which I have done over 40 hrs so far!! :o and can`t get enough!!

Anyway I will keep going but I will have to buy more new Wipeouts` disk from Ebay :evil:

stin :)

zargz
11th January 2004, 03:23 AM
did u beat all the trax / all classes? (O_o)

stin
11th January 2004, 09:08 AM
did u beat all the trax / all classes? (O_o)

I`m playing the classic levels at the moment I`m on Phantom level from single races.

So it will take a while to finished it completely.

stin :)

Synthetic Consciousness
11th January 2004, 09:31 AM
Hope everyone had a happy Yule and New Years. As for the topic, I got lots of games for my PS2, so I've been playing: Final Fantasy X-2, King of Fighters 2000/2001, Midway Arcade Treasures, and Rez. 8)

YoshiXL
11th January 2004, 03:07 PM
whoa! I have a pretty big list compared to most.

in order of most to least.

SSX3
WipEout Fusion
SSX Tricky
NFS Underground
DDRMax2
Nascar Thunder2004
Fatal Frame2

Wamdue
11th January 2004, 10:35 PM
Found a copy of Ikuraga for the DC today. What a game.. The design is awesome and I really like the sound.. And the polarity-thing in the gameplay togheter with chain-combos is awesome. Its a japanese version tho so I have yet to figure out the different gamemodes and still havent found a VMU to save my games onto.

Thruster2097
11th January 2004, 10:54 PM
lemme see....

(clears huge pile of junk away from ps2....)

this week, ive been mostly playing XGRA, Manhunt, Amplitude and SSX3.
And now my eyes hurt. :cry:

Roger
12th January 2004, 02:38 PM
Found a copy of Ikuraga for the DC today. What a game.. The design is awesome and I really like the sound...
Yeah, that is one polished "old skool" shooter. But man, it is difficult!

If you're as fond of the pompous music as I am, you'll no doubt want to download the MP3:s from this fansite (URL) (http://www.mrmonkeyman.com/treasure/ikarugamusic.html)!

I'm stuck in front of my DC, too. Bought a copy of Tokyo Highway Challenge last saturday, and it has me hooked. Simple, fun high speed sports car action - a perfect match for my short attention span (Sega GT, Gran Turismo and other "simulators" are too much of an effort). And what a speed rush - more powerful than (blasphemy alert!) Wipeout 2097!

Lance
12th January 2004, 04:44 PM
[uses crossed index fingers as shield against this unexpected horrible apparition which spews forth incomprehensible arcane, devious, and terrifying spells]

Piranha Advancements
16th January 2004, 06:42 AM
Ikaruga is one damn cool game but hard as nails.Last year or so,when it was out in the arcades over here,I saw this kid..barely even 12 or so,kinda look like a Harry Potter but whatever,he blitzed through the entire game without getting hit from start to finish and he looked ....bored doing it.

Scary.