Just announced at PSX. Coming early 2018

Trailer here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StUMAuqkWXQ

T-301
9th December 2017, 03:23 AM
This is nice.

Racingfan
9th December 2017, 03:31 AM
I just ordered a VR, lol. Even if i get sick within 5 minutes, it'll be hella worth it

https://gyazo.com/1a996e87e07a78aba6e33c5676f871cc

pichuscute
9th December 2017, 05:20 AM
This will be nice to go back to (on extremely easy difficulties) once VR gets cheap and I eventually pick one up.

missmolotov
9th December 2017, 05:55 AM
Just woke up to the news, I don't know where to look! Massive VR fan and I'd long given up hope of this happening.

Free Update, all tracks playable.

Bit more on the PS Blog:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/12/09/blast-through-wipeout-omega-collection-in-ps-vr-with-free-update/#sf175815942

Racingfan
9th December 2017, 06:02 AM
I just hope the new ships are available for those without VR. hell i'd even pay for it. And they should sell van uber+ dynamic theme as a standalone DLC already

And hopefully this boosts the community a bit, it's pretty dead online nowadays :(

missmolotov
9th December 2017, 06:18 AM
Agree about Van Uber, it's annoying. Sounds like the ships won't be in all versions, it says 'exclusive for you PS VR pilots'.

I wouldn't count on it bringing many more to multiplayer. PSVR struggles with too many empty multiplayer games already.

That sounds so negative, I'm still really excited :)

Racingfan
9th December 2017, 06:25 AM
If that's the case that will suck so much and then my interest level is lowered for me. Content for the same game locked to psvr? and it's just ships, it's not like those ships were designed purely for psvr. Either way, i'm not even sure if i can handle psvr

missmolotov
9th December 2017, 06:32 AM
Why do you say it's not like those ships were created for PSVR? It sounds like they were designed for PSVR, so that you can look round the whole thing.

It says you can play all tracks on PSVR, it doesn't actually say you can play with all ships. I wonder if it will only be ships designed for VR you can play with?

I think it could be quite different from the normal game in some ways, this could be the plot twist.

Have you played much VR before?

Racingfan
9th December 2017, 07:03 AM
You may be right. I just re looked very very closely at the 0:42 part in the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StUMAuqkWXQ

It looked like a tigron at start so i thought it would mean every ship was playable. So if it's only the new ships are playable in vr only, then theres 2 HD ships + 1 2048 ship, but that would mean there be 3 other variants of the 2048 ship then so i'm curious what the prototype ship will do.

Still, since you can play VR in online, it means the design of the ship is completely done, etc So it shouldn't be too hard making it playable without VR, unless the goal is to sell more VR's by adding exclusive content to it (like they did with digital & physical with van uber, dynamic themes & the 4 team themes to sell more copies)... You had to buy both versions to get all the extras.

No, i've never played VR before.

AdHoc
9th December 2017, 08:08 AM
This is great news, even though you guys do realise we will have to get used to playing with the onboard view?

I suck so badly at it, this is not going to make it any better :p

Hybrid Divide
9th December 2017, 08:25 AM
This is great news!!!

I always said that all Sony had to do to get me to buy a PSVR was announce WipEout for it!

Can't wait!

Snakenator1
9th December 2017, 09:19 AM
Sony Xdev Europe have confirmed in a recent tweet that all the teams have a unique VR ship, this means all teams are playable on all of the tracks.

https://twitter.com/SonyXDevEurope/status/939435858314387456
(https://twitter.com/SonyXDevEurope/status/939435858314387456)
Oh man zone mode is gonna rock in VR <3 :D

AdHoc
9th December 2017, 09:25 AM
edited

Jonny
9th December 2017, 09:26 AM
I'm not a massive fan of VR, but that may be worth it...

Racingfan
9th December 2017, 10:26 AM
So I’m guessing this is one:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMxmjSnX4AEeMVA.jpg

I'm gonna cry if that's the exclusive ship to PSVR and not playable without VR since it looks so amazing

AdHoc
9th December 2017, 10:43 AM
This is the image that i wanted to post:

https://reho.st/self/85e2817cece3803c6eeb0257ff5c2a7ad8c00581.jpg

From: https://twitter.com/SonyXDevEurope/status/922379247712456704

Racingfan
9th December 2017, 10:56 AM
I'm curious if they're teasing stuff with all these tweets with wipeout pictures (unless they were teased at vr lol) They also retweeted a playstation job tweet with an 2097 gif to work at XDEV. I do hope they're making a new game. Omega was a success afterall.

XDEV did confirm that there's no new teams, but there be a new ship for each game, so HD, fury & 2048, exclusive to VR. that sucks. If you can't handle WO VR, then you'll have new ships that you can't even play

missmolotov
9th December 2017, 12:13 PM
That's pretty cool all the teams are playable. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the ships :)

Try not to worry about VR sickness till it happens @Racingfan. People were surveyed on r/PSVR and the number of people that really suffered was much lower than expected.

I didn't get any sickness in my first six months. It tends to be walking that makes me feel ill, not racing. Though it does seem to be a very personal thing what's sets it off.

blackwiggle
9th December 2017, 12:43 PM
I think if you have played Wipeout using internal cockpit view, going to VR won't be a problem.
A lot of old timers should find the transition easy, as a lot of them have always used that view.

Gee, I bought a new Panasonic 65" 4K TV last week and a PS4 Pro to take advantage of it a few days ago, now another AUS $500+ for a VR helmet and camera.

I wonder if the control input will be the same, I'd dread having to pilot any Wipeout with one of those mock steering wheels, and if that was the case, I'd think I'd give it a miss.

Snakenator1
9th December 2017, 02:49 PM
Going on from Wiggle, I actually think VR will be a superior version of internal view. Not because it'll look better, but since the perspective is not a few inches above the track it gives a clearer view of the track and all the pads. And obviously the fact that the POV doesn't spin along with the BR's means there won't be any disorientation :D

Then again that's a no brainer, having the POV spin with rolls in VR is bound to cause some degree of motion sickness.

Thankfully my uncle has PSVR so I can try it without having to buy my own.

multibodydynamics
9th December 2017, 02:56 PM
For some reason I've always thought that PSVR was PS4 Pro only but after some googling I see that this will work on the standard PS4. I'm getting a PSVR for this for sure.

JABBERJAW
9th December 2017, 03:46 PM
This will be really fun I think. Ive tested the VR and thought it would be great for wipeout. What would be nice would be an option for VR races only, since my guess would be that it would be harder. Split screen would be out as well, so a LAN option between systems would also be nice so you could play someone in your own house head to head. Heck, a lan option would be nice for the regular game as well so it could survive the eventual (years) shutdown of the servers.

TheConzio
9th December 2017, 04:42 PM
And here I thought the Omega Collection was finished for good. Glad to see this VR support :D

T-301
9th December 2017, 05:27 PM
Playstation is sure putting a lot of effort into the remaster. You guys think they're planning something bigger for WipEout in the future?

blackwiggle
9th December 2017, 08:32 PM
Not unless they pull their finger out and promote the game in the USA, currently Sony UK and Sony USA seem like two members of the same family who don't really get on together, and subsequently remain isolated from what each is doing.
One of the pitfalls of the American corporate culture when applied to a huge multinational is that the employees become drones, and don't think out of the box, it's not encouraged and is not good for you job prospects if you rock the boat, so far easier to keep flogging Americans FPS rather than AG racers.

I doubt UK sales alone would give Sony enough impetus to make something totally new, far easier to keep flogging the same tracks to you.
It depends if there were any tracks in the SL archives that were W.I.P. at the time of it's closure, and have since been given to Clever Beans to complete, I think that might be the only scenario that would have us get any new tracks
You might get new craft, but since you would be playing internally in VR mode it's hardly a enticement, unless you like watching the other players craft go around.

The thing with racing in VR which should happen a lot, which has happened to me occasionally when playing online with the PS3 version of HD, was when you had a another craft come right up besides you while going down a straight, it's happened the most on Vineta K forward for some reason.
I always play with internal view, and sometimes when the above has happened, I could see into the craft besides me cockpit, and see the other pilot and the cockpit and controls, this has made the game for those brief seconds all the more realistic.

It's those little things that make a game special.....I mean I must be one of the few people that actually played [still do occasionally ] HD/FURY in 3D, the input lag is horrible, and you would never win a online race while playing in 3D because of it, but if you pilot using internal view as I do, it's a blast....pity 3D mode never made it to the Omega Pack, the extra grunt of the PS4 and especially the Pro version, should have made that experience all the more fun.

I just hope they do this VR version well,and it works on ALL TRACKS.
Not as a half measure like the VR on GT Sport, where it only works on one track and while viewing your cars in the garage....I mean honestly, what's the point, that's almost like false advertising.

JABBERJAW
9th December 2017, 09:14 PM
agreed, 3-D would have been awesome on the PS4, there would have been no framerate issues

Jonny
9th December 2017, 10:18 PM
That would only be false advertising if they actually would have made VR mode seem like a huge special feature...buuut, that's simply not the case.
(Anyway, this isn't GT Zone)

I just really wonder how to place these VR ships in canon...
(This is really my biggest concern)

AdHoc
9th December 2017, 10:30 PM
I’m sure you’ll find a way, isn’t that what "canon writers" do anyway? :p

Snakenator1
9th December 2017, 10:43 PM
Managed to find a short clip of gameplay, also Xdev confirmed there will be a specific feature where if you play online with VR, you'll only find lobbies with other people using the VR headset. That makes it more worthwhile to try playing online with it since you won't get creamed by regular players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuqtIAmOJuE

blackwiggle
9th December 2017, 10:55 PM
OK, nice find.
The craft seems a bit overly floaty compared to what I'm used to seeing, maybe that was the camera angle, at any rate, it seems your pilots view will be higher than the current internal view [maybe that's why it seems more floaty ? ]
It would see that VR mode isn't that far removed from current internal view, and thankfully you can use a PS4 controller......I just wonder if BR's are active in VR mode? As I didn't see any being done in that video.
Personally I don't have a problem doing them with internal view, as I'm used to them,so if they are included in the VR mode I should have any sickness issues, but I imagine that won't be the case for a lot of other pilots.

JFthebestJan
10th December 2017, 12:23 AM
...I just hope they do this VR version well,and it works on ALL TRACKS.
Not as a half measure like the VR on GT Sport, where it only works on one track and while viewing your cars in the garage...

Dude, in GT Sport all tracks and cars are playable in VR! That's why it's absolutely awesome. Since i got my PSVR a few days ago, im almost exclusively playing VR or at least using 'Cinema Mode' for non VR games. playing on a TV is sooo yesteryear :D

OMeGa in VR, amazing news :rock

Racingfan
10th December 2017, 01:09 AM
, you'll only find lobbies with other people using the VR headset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuqtIAmOJuE

that's even more disappointing. The online in omega died so fast. why split it? VR wouldn't be any better, so after a month maximum, you'll have trouble finding games on VR. and if they haven't removed the region lobby lists, it'll die even faster lol. If it's possible at all then they should add a option to lock to PSVR if the host want.

I'll have to cancel my order, as I like playing online, but it has to have players. So i'll wait to see how it be after some time.

I'm curious if there will be seperate leaderboards now.

- - - Updated - - -

Playstation is sure putting a lot of effort into the remaster. You guys think they're planning something bigger for WipEout in the future?

The game was a confirmed success. I don't know how much copies it sold to be exact, as XDEV hasn't said anything about the sales number at all but if you look at the first leaderboard in 2048, you'll see that theres 221k players on it. so the sales number should be around that range The number of the first leaderboard increases by around 500 every 24 hours, but if the game is on sale, it increases to 1000-1500 every 24 hours.

blackwiggle
10th December 2017, 04:45 AM
Dude, in GT Sport all tracks and cars are playable in VR! That's why it's absolutely awesome. Since i got my PSVR a few days ago, im almost exclusively playing VR or at least using 'Cinema Mode' for non VR games. playing on a TV is sooo yesteryear :D

OMeGa in VR, amazing news :rock

You can only play against single AI opponent in a head to head in VR mode, on tracks you have unlocked through progress in the game, and even then that's only in arcade mode, you can't play in VR mode with campaign or online.
It's a sort of half done VR implementation.

As for the sales of the Omega Pack, seems it sort of goes in short bursts depending on if it's for sale at the PStore.
I imagine it will again when the VR version goes on sale, but I don't think it will help fill the servers, it might even divide them further [that's assuming VR will be playable against online] The Omega Pack needed a base core of players of a certain magnitude to sustain it that it hasn't got, and never has, and we all know through various discussions why that hasn't happened.

Racingfan
10th December 2017, 05:14 AM
The Omega Pack needed a base core of players of a certain magnitude to sustain it that it hasn't got, and never has, and we all know through various discussions why that hasn't happened.

There are some that do play, but it's really, really small. It's disappointing that i quit mainly for that reason. i had such high hopes for this game's online. Only way it can recover is to make it free game on plus. VR would boost it a little bit though if they didn't split it

I don't think i ever been from excited to no longer interested (when it comes to games) so fast that i canceled my VR order after seeing the new ships are locked to VR & split the player base on online.

blackwiggle
10th December 2017, 06:20 AM
Actually I'm not so sure just how well Wipeout will work with VR, for the main reason that the tracks are already so narrow, so any move of your head is going to compound that.
You can see it in the video when the pilot is nearing the end of the tunnel section of Vineta K reverse and slightly moves his head, he then hits the side wall almost immediately.
Maybe a adjustment to racing style to all that has been before will be needed, meaning lots of practice.

There have been countless questioning on why the some of the tracks on Formula Fusion have been made so wide.....I think the answer is now obvious.....a bit of foresight on R8's part for eventual VR game play.

Sausehuhn
10th December 2017, 08:27 AM
[…] The craft seems a bit overly floaty compared to what I'm used to seeing, maybe that was the camera angle […]

I have the feeling the cockpit itself remains more or less parallel to the track, but the ship moves around it. I imagine barrel rolls to work the same way to avoid motion sickness. For this to be plausible the cockpit has to move freely like some sort of steadicam. Although I believe they rather not have any logical explaination behind it instead of people getting sick while playing in VR. Not to mention some people already get sick playing WipEout – without VR, mind you ;)

MisterX47
10th December 2017, 09:33 AM
Wip3out in VR please :V

Jonny
10th December 2017, 10:58 AM
I’m sure you’ll find a way, isn’t that what "canon writers" do anyway? :p

Wha-, where did that came up from now? ^^;

Snakenator1
10th December 2017, 01:34 PM
After rewatching the video I can confirm that the player was using Icaras (pink shielding with Feisar's weapon announcer, also the shield energy depleted quickly) on rapier class.

I'm going to guess that these new ships will be purely aesthetic changes and the raw performance will be identical to either the Fury or HD variants (I'm leaning towards Fury though).

eLhabib
11th December 2017, 01:46 PM
From what I could gather through various sources, there will be 3 *ships* (NOT TEAMS) exclusively for VR players, meaning if you play VR, you can ONLY USE one of those ships (1 HD, 1 Fury, 1 2048 ship - could be wrong here, maybe HD and Fury use the same ship and the 3rd one is for Zone). These *ships* can be branded in any team's livery - I don't know if that means they will then receive the stats of the chosen team (but I sure hope so, otherwise VR would be reduced to one type of handling).

So this means that we will not be getting different cockpits for each team craft (build wise, not livery), which is a bit disappointing, but understandable from a development standpoint for a free addon.

Also it seems that VR players can only race against other VR players when playing online, which I don't see any good reason for. Sure, there might be a small advantage/disandvantage to the way pilots perceive the track in VR, but splitting the playerbase in a game that already suffers from empty lobbies is a bad idea IMHO.

Racingfan
11th December 2017, 02:03 PM
Yup, there won't be any new teams, i asked and they confirmed it. And yes, it is 1 hd, 1 fury, 1 2048 ship and if i understood right, the 2048 ship will have speed, fighter, agility all in one, but if thats the case, then i think, for example the ship will be fighter when you play the new ship in combat and races it will have the speed effect, etc.

The ships will have new design (obviously) But we haven't seen the full design yet, you can see the front pf the design in the trailer of the 2 new ships though. I hope it's purely cosmetic and it has same stats of the original ships but even then, it's still unfair to keep them exclusive to VR, it's not like theres a new game mode that is purely designed for VR that it need new ships for that game mode. What if you can't handle WO VR because of motion sickness? The ships will be completely useless then. And what's funny is, the VR update will have more new content than the main game

As for advantages, the vita version had cross play, the vita version never even worked right, it was horrible, horrible, it was impossible to control the ship with a racing line, even on venom. PS3 players had so much adventages that makes me wonder why they even bothered with cross play online in the first place

One reason i could see is due to difficulties of adding cross play maybe? if they can't, then they shouldn't spend resources on the VR only MP IMO

Hybrid Divide
11th December 2017, 04:30 PM
Sony confirmed on Twitter that VR and Non-VR users can play against each other online. 😃

WikEv_512
11th December 2017, 08:13 PM
I love VR. I do have an Oculus Rift, and playing DCS Worlds (a flight sim) is the best experience I had so far (in terms of video games of course ^^)

But really, playing in VR, when it is propely done is awesome. In DCS you really feel like you are sitting in a plane, in Elite Dangerous... well there's nothing I could say to describe Elite Dangerous in VR... You can't understand if you did not try it...

So I decided to buy Red Out. I was thinking that a WipEout like in VR would be awesome and.... Not really. No no, it did not make me puke or anything. It's just that it is poorly done.

Why ?

Well first of all, you need a 1st person view. I still don't understand people begging for a 3rd person view in VR. It's fine to have one so you can look at your ship from time to time, but the main goal of VR is to immerge you in the game. Playing VR in TPS view is everything but immersive.

So you need a FPS view... Fine... But what makes it truly immersive is a real cockpit view. DCS's cockpits are the best looking cockpits I've ever seen. And almost everything is functional (But it takes a year to modelize, for ONE single plane). In Elite Dangerous cockpits are more simple in a way that you can't interact with anything except the HUD which is the same for every ship. And Red Out... It just a skin... Poorly modelized... And the same one for every ship... And I don't know why but even with a FPS view inside a cockpit this game is not immersive in VR. I looked for an answer about this issue and found out on several forums that I was not the only having this feeling...

And now here's WipEout VR... I was truly amazed by this announcement and then I saw the trailer... Cockpits are really simple, they seem to be very similar from ship to ships and even worse... The cockpit does not roll with ship (like the B-Wing in Star Wars lol)

I totally get why they did this to avoid motion sickness BUT I do hope they'll let us the ability to lock the cockpit with the ship when rolling... I heard that it would be impossible to BR with such a thing but I BR a lot in DCS and Elite Dangerous while dogfighting or just having fun and I never got sick. It sure felt strange at first, I sure felt disoriented, but when you are used to it, it is not a problem anymore.

Of course it won't be possible to BR as much as Feisar_2097 and other really good players in VR, but it is already impossible if you play in FPS rather than TPS. It won't change anything online, FPS players are already disadvantaged.

So I'm afraid VR won't be really good for WipEout, at least in its current state. God I wanted to be in a real cockpit like the Feisar, Triakis or other ships... Not a so called interior view which is just a piece a glass, not even rolling with the rest of the ship :(

But I may be wrong, so wait and see ;D

terra-wrists
11th December 2017, 09:27 PM
k, so i'm now actually tempted to get a PS4 and PSVR for this... no guarantees, and if I do - then as usual, I'll be late to the party lol it feels like a few years since I've raced... I think it has been a few years atually

Snakenator1
11th December 2017, 10:03 PM
Wow okay I think some people here are being overly-negative about VR, it seems like some have forgotten one important aspect about it:

Its about having a fun experience

I'm gonna reiterate a point I made a few months back when Wipeout OC was still in development, we should all be thankful that we're getting this kind of extra content added to the game. Seriously though Sony and the devs could of easily released the game and just left as it was for eternity. But that isn't the case, instead the devs have decided to pour hours of their time, effort and resources into creating what could be an amazing experience to those who're willing to try it. Yet here some of us are just being nit-picky about the whole thing.

I understand that some of these points are genuine concerns but that doesn't mean we have the right to dismiss the VR experience before its released, that's judging a book by its cover. For all we know it could be the best thing to ever happen to wipeout yet some of us are not even willing to try. Granted I don't want to spend £250 on a VR headset like anyone else does if it sucks, but I will try it at least before making my opinion on it.

Honestly guys just be grateful to the devs that they've done this for us, I know I'm thankful to them for putting in the effort. You're all entitled to your opinion and I don't intend to change that, but just open your eyes a little and remember that the devs do watch this forum and what we all post. I wouldn't be surprised if they have now lost motivation to make any more content for the game after this because we're negative nellies.

terra-wrists
11th December 2017, 10:08 PM
just open your eyes a little and remember that the devs do watch this forum and what we all post.

This is how the Devs react to WZ:

https://i1.wp.com/gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif?ssl=1

WikEv_512
11th December 2017, 10:36 PM
I concluded my post by «*I may be wrong*»

And I hope I am, because as I said, I AM a VR lover. Tbh I love VR so much that I find now playing on a flat screen boring...
And I’ve been dreaming of Wipeout VR for a long time. You’re right this the best thing that could happen to wipeout. VR is, IMO, best suited for racing games or flying games or anything where you sit in a cockpit. As you can’t really walk, FPS are still a bit weird. That why we have so many flying and racing games in VR. And people love it. That’s why wipeout in VR and generally AG racing could become popular again. So yes I agree VR is the best that could happen to wipeout. And I don’t blame the devs for developing this kind of content, in the contrary, I thank them !

And don’t get me wrong, I do not judge the game yet. I know it is still WIP. I just address my concerns from my experience with Red Out, that’s all. And once again I may be wrong and I hope I’ll be, I’m a wipeout lover, I don’t want it to fail^^

Sorry if sounded like a hater, I just wanted to share my experience with VR ;D

But I’m tired so good night guys (and girls) !

Racingfan
12th December 2017, 01:56 AM
Wow okay I think some people here are being overly-negative about VR, it seems like some have forgotten one important aspect about it:

I'm still very grateful for this, i did not expect new content for the game at all, i was watching the psx stream live and i was like omgggg, I ordered a PSVR almost instantly. The only thing i'm negative the VR update is about the exclusive ships for VR option It was already enough with the digital & physical exclusives for the extra content.

AdHoc
12th December 2017, 02:49 AM
I am very thankful too and will look into buying a PS4 Pro and a PSVR just for this, and encourage others to do so as well. Thanks to the devs and people at Sony for considering and developing this, great work!

Hopefully this can help leading to a entirely new game in the franchise.

Racingfan
12th December 2017, 03:16 AM
Of course it won't be possible to BR as much as Feisar_2097 and other really good players in VR, but it is already impossible if you play in FPS rather than TPS. It won't change anything online, FPS players are already disadvantaged.

So I'm afraid VR won't be really good for WipEout, at least in its current state. God I wanted to be in a real cockpit like the Feisar, Triakis or other ships... Not a so called interior view which is just a piece a glass, not even rolling with the rest of the ship :(

But I may be wrong, so wait and see ;D

If screen rolling is disabled when Barrel rolling i can see it being possible to do all BR's and play just as good as 3rd person players. The issue with internal view is you can't see anything when rolling. its the worst at metropia reverse because the respawn radius is extremely tight when going a tiny bit out of the track . You can control your ship very easily when in the barrel roll animation in 3rd person.

I did a video of what it would be beating zico in VR if nothing was changed except adding a cockpit view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwvy_9IruxU

As you can see, totally impossible to see what was coming when rolling.

blackwiggle
12th December 2017, 10:26 AM
HEY, do what I do.
If indecisive on the worthyness of paying for a VR headset, do the following.

I'm a PS+ member, that means I get stuff for FREE every month.

Each month, there has been a Free VR game.
If you want that VR game, You Don't need to download it NOW, you just need to add it to your Download list of games, once added, you can download at your pleasure.
All games, be they already downloaded or not, will appear on your Download list .

I'm very thankful of this , as I'm very close to filling my PS4 Pro's 1TB HD

Snakenator1
12th December 2017, 03:06 PM
Found an article describing the experience:

https://www.psu.com/news/wipeout-vr-ps4-preview/

Jonny
12th December 2017, 05:34 PM
Everybody has the right to complain, especially with the amount of money we throw into this franchise...

JABBERJAW
13th December 2017, 02:07 PM
So the barrel roll doesnt move as the person? I think thats good. It would be cool if there was an option though. They are probably worried about someone suing them for vertigo, or passing out, or a seizure. I am pretty psyched for this. Itsould be cool for a Lan option now because when online mp is finally taken down in a few years, and there is no split screen in VR, there will be no more multiplayer for the game.

Hybrid Divide
13th December 2017, 05:37 PM
I'm very grateful for the VR update, and it makes me a bit more optimistic for the future of the WipEout series as a whole. To see a new team adding content is a great sign.

Adding to that, the VR update seems to be getting better US coverage than the Omega Collection did when it was first announced. (IGN barely covered it, but has mentioned the VR update in several articles already).

I've also been seeing comments in a lot of threads that finally having WipEout for VR will get them to finally buy a PSVR, the Omega Collection, or both! So, while people do want a new game (us included, obviously!), people are seeing this as a worthwhile update, and long overdue at that.

Good stuff.

Jonny
13th December 2017, 06:24 PM
I'd actually get over this barrel roll issue if there is an option to lock it to the craft...OOOOOOORRRRR it is quite logical from the design of the VR crafts

terra-wrists
13th December 2017, 11:48 PM
I am very thankful too and will look into buying a PS4 Pro and a PSVR just for this, and encourage others to do so as well. Thanks to the devs and people at Sony for considering and developing this, great work!

You saying you're gonna look into getting this, means I will have to get it - this is now past temptation lol.

Hopefully this can help leading to a entirely new game in the franchise.

Aint holding my breath... but I will expect a new wipeout with each new PS console, as is the custom!!

AdHoc
14th December 2017, 12:58 AM
Just think about where we all were just one year ago: nowhere, with no hope whatsoever.

We now have a new game, VR, and a renewed interest in the franchise. This is so unhoped for.

Go go Sony XDEV and Clever Beans!!

JABBERJAW
21st December 2017, 04:02 PM
any news on the actual release date? I just picked a PSVR with GT included for 200$, great deal

Racingfan
21st December 2017, 04:13 PM
January-march. They haven't said a exact date though. 200$ for that bundle is insanely good. Used or new?

JABBERJAW
21st December 2017, 04:25 PM
New! I felt like I had no choice. I should probably pick one up for my son as well

blackwiggle
25th December 2017, 01:57 AM
I bought one yesterday and a Logitech G39 steering wheel / pedal set, what made me decide to get this setup wasn't just the fact that the Omega Pack is getting a VR update and the VR headset has dropped in price [I suspect only momentarily] , but also that GT sports had a huge update a few days ago [took 8 hours to download :| ] that has brought back a lot of the old single player race types of previous GT's.

Plus the fact that with the PStore's Jan sale, you can get a pretty good VR game collection together relatively cheaply......Try Radial G PSVR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KhPfNbXaHc

Ironically, when I went to play GT sport today for the first time, there is some sort of server problem, and you can't connect online...typical....I suppose it's getting smashed due to Xmas holidays.

JFthebestJan
25th December 2017, 08:41 AM
@blackwiggle: server problems solved, it's working again ;)

AdHoc
27th December 2017, 02:34 AM
https://uploadvr.com/psx-2017-hands-wipeout-omega-collection-vr-blisteringly-fast/

Ever since the PSVR was first unveiled (then known as Project Morpheus) the one Sony property at the top of my “I need this” list has been WipeOut VR. As a cornerstone of the PlayStation’s catalog over the years, WipeOut is one of the fastest, most intense, and most beautiful racing franchises around.

I’ve been playing WipeOut games ever since the days of the original PlayStation. This new VR iteration isn’t a brand new WipeOut game, but instead takes all of the WipeOut Omega Collection and adds full VR support. The Omega Collection, which was released on PS4 earlier this year, combines WipeOut HD, Fury, and 2048 into one package and now that package is sleeker than ever. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want a brand new made-for-VR WipeOut game, but this is a good compromise. At least it’s still getting some new content like ships.

The closesy comparison outside of VR that I can think of would be Nintendo’s seemingly forgotten futuristic racing series, F-Zero. RedOut is a racing game with VR support on PC, but nothing on PSVR has come close to replicating the WipeOut experience just yet — not even Radial-G.

The sense of speed is absolutely incredible. I played two races against AI opponents at PSX (one from 2048 and one from HD) and it’s nothing short of exhilirating. When my ship launched off the track into the air I could feel my stomach falling as if I was on a real rollercoaster. As my ship slammed into walls along the track my body bounced involuntarily as if it were really happening. The blur of the track and streaks of neon colors were like a symphony of excitement. Only two races wasn’t enough for me to get my fill.

What makes WipeOut VR so special has always been its sense of speed. The bright, colorful visuals do a great job of really making you feel like you’re racing futuristic spacecrafts. Tracks twist and turn in ways you won’t see in other racing games and the inclusion of combat items and boost pads only up the ante even further.

And no, I never got motion sick. The cockpit view that was being used by default had walls surrounding my peripheral vision, but they tell me that can be disabled as well.

In VR, all of that is replicated with exquisite detail. Racing in the first-person cockpit feels great and being able to look from side to side at the other ships passing by really amps things up a lot. It honestly felt like I was sitting in a cockpit. I’m not 100% sure, but I think I may have held my breath for all of the last lap during each of my races.

Looking down at the information in the cockpit to check things like my speed, placement on the track, and lap number aided the immersion as well. WipeOut VR’s blistering sense of speed is unmatched in the VR scene right now, at least in regards to PSVR racers.

And from the two races I did I can honestly say that WipeOut VR is one of the best looking PSVR games to date. It doesn’t have any of the blurriness of other racing games like DriveClub VR and it even features a fantastic photo mode that lets you pause the game and pan all the way around your ship to get unique angles and amazing screenshots.

According to Sony WipeOut VR is coming in early 2018 and is a totally free update to the Omega Collection on PS4. If you own it already then it won’t cost anything extra and all new players can just buy the full game like normal.

blackwiggle
27th December 2017, 11:35 PM
Glad to hear no motion sickness playing the Omega pack in VR mode.

What has annoyed me so far about the VR headset is the lack of a decent manual, it doesn't even tell you what each button on the headset does, I mean 'Really'!

It took several internet searches before I found sufficient information to set this thing up as well as it can be......the well hidden unless told about control to measure and adjust 'Eye To Eye Distance' was the last piece of the puzzle that finally got it sorted.

If you find you are not getting very good results using the VR eye detection software, I found during my searches a post on how to measure that spec manually, and then enter the results to get the correct spacing for your Eye to Eye distance, it's worth doing the measurement test anyway prior to letting the software do it automatically, as at least then you will know if the results it has given you are wrong, so you can reset it and try it again.
https://www.vrheads.com/how-manually-set-your-ipd-playstation-vr

I've still got a slight headache from playing some VR games last night, and at one stage got so queasy that I had to quit the game after only two brief races, mind you I think it was the dumb steering controls for the VR Luge game in Playstation VR Worlds that was the cause.
Honestly! Who was the genius that thought getting the player to steer by moving their head side to side was a good idea ? I'd hate to think of just how much vomit has been regurgitated by people attempting to play this game, you could fill several swimming pools I imagine.
Should get the games control designer to swim through it as punishment.

Recommend people to download the short VR Demo of The Last Guardian, it's visually amazing as the sense of scale really hits home....the controls are limited, where you have little statues appear and you have to point at and click to move to, but I think it's a work in progress.

Racingfan
28th December 2017, 02:27 AM
inb4 he played it on venom

JFthebestJan
28th December 2017, 03:10 AM
...the well hidden unless told about control to measure and adjust 'Eye To Eye Distance' was the last piece of the puzzle that finally got it sorted.

If you find you are not getting very good results using the VR eye detection software, I found during my searches a post on how to measure that spec manually, and then enter the results to get the correct spacing for your Eye to Eye distance, it's worth doing the measurement test anyway prior to letting the software do it automatically, as at least then you will know if the results it has given you are wrong, so you can reset it and try it again...

That's a very important aspect of the whole VR thingy to work properly. With my bundle came a big blue booklet where the whole process of setting the thingy up and all was described very detailed. I wonder if you have that booklet as well?

Have you played 'Danger Ball'? It's part of 'VR Worlds', this game needs a multiplayer mode! It's 'Pong' in VR basically, but so intense when it becomes fast. Unrivaled fun :mr-t

blackwiggle
28th December 2017, 12:52 PM
I got the newest v2 VR headsest, I don't know if they changed the manual from the previous one, as this headset no longer has the controls attached to the cabling, but I did get the Big Blue Booklet..... all it has in it is how to wire everything up, and a small bit on how to release the headband and front of visor where the lenses are.....that's it....then a Go see such and such a website for further help....which gives you the same info that's in the booklet...DOH!

I have a single MOVE controller, that like most peoples has sat redundant in it's box since purchase several years ago, seems single MOVE controllers are not sold any more, you now have to buy a double pack......which is also the reason I refuse to do so, and the reason I have not bought any VR games that require multiple MOVE controllers to operate.
So NO, I have yet to play Danger Ball.....although I agree it does look fun.

I can't wait to scare the crap out of my first VR victim when they get suckered into playing the Diving game from VR worlds, when the Shark attacks the cage....that will be fun.....hell I read the warning beforehand, and it still got me freaking out even though I knew it was coming.;)

Apart from GT Sports, I have also downloaded Drive Club VR [yet to play] and also saw at the PStore that Dirt Rally had a VR update.....I had a look at it and saw the PStore had it for sale at over AUS$110 for the bundle of the game / VR update and 3 DLC packs....pity this game is so old.
I found a used copy at EB games for AUS $28 and got the VR upgrade for AUS$12.50, the 3 packs were AUS $3 each....saved myself nearly $60.

Have also got EVEREST [yet to play]...APOLLO [Partially played, but seems not that good IMHO] and a couple of other free VR games Sony has put out as freebee's with PS+ subscription that I have in my Library, but have yet to download.

There is another free VR game coming out with the PS+ Jan 2018 games....StarBlood Arena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=EZr0NiFbEaY

I real loathe heights, as I nearly fell of a cliff when about 10/11, but I think I can deal with 'Virtual Ones'
I've heard that a VR game version of 'Man on a Wire' is either out, or about to be released.....Tightrope walking across the two world trade towers....my Sphincter is clinching just contemplating trying that in VR......I have the 3D version of the movie, and watching that was already really disconcerting.

My biggest PITA has been running out of HD space.
I have/had/put away a 1TB PS4 that was packed to capacity..... even after deleting 11 games I didn't have enough space to download Drive Club.....so I bit the bullet and bought some extra storage.

After searching on likely candidates, I figured since I now have a PS4 Pro, and the average download size of HDR games is 90GB, it wouldn't take me long to fill a 2 / 3 or even 4GB HD, so I looked for the Big Daddy, a 8tb WD HD.....to cut a long story short, I think I manage to find and buy the last one in Sydney.....not sure if they are superseded models, or just that PS4 owners have bought them all up [wouldn't be surprised]

Anyway, my PS4 Pro game storage issues are a thing of the past I would hope, well until the PS5 is released.....pity you can't store anything else on it at the same time, as it's Sony's software that dictates that it only to be used for Game Storage....No Music / Movies etc

mannjon
10th January 2018, 10:17 PM
For what it's worth, I have friends that know I have a vr that have asked me when the patch is releasing. Some are in fact waiting to try it out before buying the whole rig (PS4 & head set). That is a huge investment for one experience. My hope is that it will encourage future projects to follow.

Despite what appears to have been a huge US failure for the vanilla Omega collection, I know a lot of people that can't wait for this to release. A lot of them are brand new to the series. Vr state side has been huge.

blackwiggle
11th January 2018, 08:56 AM
I really think if money might be a issue, to try and get a decent length demo of a racing game in VR first, as TBH, I'm not sure I'd buy it again.
When I tried one of these VR headsets when they were first released, it was only for 5 or 10 minutes at a time, and I didn't have a problem with it......but now I've got my own....well some games are great playing VR Pool is fun....and others...

I've tried the VR portion of GT Sports, and to be honest I managerd two laps of the Mt Panorama circuit and I had to quit, I felt nauseous and began to sweat profusely, then got a sick headache at the base of my skull [where the headband holds it on] which lasted 24 hours.
My balance was out for over 24 hours as well, it felt like I'd just landed ashore after a long boat trip.....I tried it again a few days later to a not dissimilar result, though not as bad.....seems the trick needed to alleviate this nausea problem is to move your head to view to your sides, like into the rear view mirrors, that tends to take your focus away from the disparity of the car suspension up and down, side to side motion, from your actual none moving seated position.

That's why I'm sort of apprehensive about this movement disparity with the Floatiness of WO craft having the same effect.
I'll find out soon enough.

The other problem is the lack of resolution of the Sony VR headset.
This I suspect could be fixed with a design change, but I suspect that change could/would drive up the price.

The problem seems to be with the OLED pixels having a default optimum alignment position, and when you change the 'Eye to Eye' distance in the software for your particular eye to eye spacing, this 'optimum' position is no longer maintained.....the results is very similar to bad chromatic aberration, where the edges of things have a rainbow hue, where Red, Green and Blue are all separated, this is especially noticeable on text [If you were to try to read the text being viewed via the VR headset on a TV at the same time, I think a LOT of people would have a hard time making out what is written]........maybe this varies from game to game {i haven't tried all the VR games I've downloaded yet due the nausea problem], but it's definitely a problem on GT Sports

As the headset is fed from a separate box from the PS4, that also has a HDMI out to the TV, you can easily see just how big a drop in resolution it is compared to none VR game-play, and I'm using a PS4 pro, whose extra power is of no help in this regard, as it's the VR headset itself that is the weak link.

Revo
11th January 2018, 03:48 PM
Do only I think that support of flight stick (T-Flight Hotas 4 specifically, as it’s the only official flight stick for PS4) should be made into this release? I mean, it would make even more mind-blowing experience! If any dev reads this, fingers crossed they will consider it.

JABBERJAW
11th January 2018, 06:14 PM
run it though a cronusmax, should be no lag

Revo
11th January 2018, 08:06 PM
Cronusmax is a bit pricey tough, it would be nice to be able to play directly, without putting about the double amount of money on the stick set.

JABBERJAW
11th January 2018, 10:46 PM
the good thing about it is you can set dead zones and steering sensitivity, something you cannot do properly in game, and I almost guarantee you will need this feature regarding dead zone.

Hybrid Divide
12th January 2018, 04:41 AM
Can you really call Omega a "failure" in the US when it got zero promotion here? I mean, IGN didn't even cover the release of the game, and the entire ramp up to launch on Twitter (which WAS impressive), was all done by Sony Europe. Had the Sony USA even acted like the game exists, and it still did as it did, THEN I'd call it a failure. People who find it tend to like it.

If Sony is smart, they'll promote the hell out of the VR update.

AdHoc
12th January 2018, 05:13 AM
Sales, with a grain of salt:

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/166066/wipeout-omega-collection/?region=All

blackwiggle
17th February 2018, 12:08 AM
I'm hoping that this VR update will allow 3D playback on 3D capable TV's, I'm sure it IS possible, it will just depend on the meta data options/flagging the update will send to devices on game start up.

Currently the situation is this, if you insert a 3D Bluray into a PS4 and you have a 3D capable TV, it will ask if you want to playback in 3D or 2D....that's fine.

If you have a VR headset connected to your PS4 [it's not the sort of thing you want to be constantly connecting/disconnecting], it uses a pass-through box to send signals to the TV.
On insertion of a 3D Bluray the PS4 will detect the VR Helmet [even if not turned on] and ask you if you want to watch it in 3D via the VR headset [with NO option to say NO]....not a problem really, as if you don't have the VR headset switched on, it will pass-through to the TV anyway....I detect a slight loss of resolution, but them the breaks.

So this being the case, VR isn't that much different than 3D playback, the only real difference is that the 3D image is from a static field of view, where the VR image will change when head movement is detected by the PS EYE.

It will depend how the VR update is flagged upon start up of the game, hopefully it will be the same as HD/FURY is on the PS3, and give you the option to play in 3D if it detects a 3D capable TV, so you can play it like that even if you don't own a VR Headset.
And with the PS4's power, should be a lot smoother than the PS3 version.....I've always like playing it in 3D, even though the performance hit has been pretty big on the PS3 [depends on your TV, my new TV is a LOT better than the old one when playing in 3D]

VR is OK, but if given he choice, I'd rather play the Omega Pack in 3D wearing a pair of 3D specs sitting pretty much anywhere I wanted to, rather than having to sit in a precise spot so the PS Eye can correctly detect any head movement when wearing the VR helmet, plus the difference in comfort is a order of magnitude better wearing 3D spec's, same for the resolution.
Besides, I don't think anybody is really going to be doing that much 'Looking Around' whilst racing in VR mode anyway, so your not going to lose that much by playing in 3D V's VR, and after looking at the video of somebody playing a early version, it seems the VR is going to be a blinkered view anyway.

missmolotov
17th February 2018, 09:07 PM
The trouble with 3D is so many people cannot see the 3D image at all, the effect non-existent for us. In my group of friends, not a single one of us has ever managed to play WipEout in 3D because none of us has good enough vision. That's a not an issue at all in VR. You can be blind in one eye and it will still work.

I can understand why you want it, but it would be such a step backwards for many of us. Nor would you be able to move close or further away from things, or get the internal cockpit view.

I can hardly describe how relieved I was that 3D TV died a death. But I'm so excited to see what VR can add to the game and to be able to experience it in a new way for the first time.

blackwiggle
18th February 2018, 07:39 AM
Like anything tech wise, the devil is in the detail and how you set it up.
Most 3D capable TV's had at least some form of adjustment of the 3D effect, other TV's had quite a few options on tweaking the 3D rteplay.....it also depends on how close you sit to a 3D TV on just how good the effect is, and if you are viewing via a Passive or Active 3D.

You have the same sort of setup issues [measuring and setting eye to eye distance for each user] with the VR headset if you want to get the best out of it

It wouldn't effect anybody playing the VR version if the update also included the meta data/flagging for 3D TV's, it's just a added option that could easily made available for those who would like to use it, and don't have a VR headset.

missmolotov
18th February 2018, 09:23 PM
Unfortunately however it's set up, there is never enough adjustment for a lot of people and a surprising amount of people won't ever have good enough stereo vision for the effect to work.

Correct IPD in VR makes for a comfortable experience and objects being more accurately sized, but it won't stop it working if it is incorrect.

You're right it wouldn't stop anybody playing in VR, but I also don't think it would be such a straight forward change to change the VR game into a 3D one. I wouldn't be unhappy if it was included, I'm all for options. I guess I'm just sort of shocked at this point in time anyone would want to go back there.

JABBERJAW
5th March 2018, 06:26 PM
any news when the update is coming out?

WikEv_512
5th March 2018, 07:01 PM
According to this, it should be coming out pretty soon... But still no release date :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/80v1fd/update_on_wipeout_vr_we_arent_talking_months/

blackwiggle
6th March 2018, 03:43 AM
Sony rep posted at the PS4 Omega Pack community it will be soon, that was a few days ago.
I suspect the same weekend that the PS3 HD/FURY servers go down.

stin
6th March 2018, 07:34 AM
Will VR support normal PS4''s console?

stevie

JFthebestJan
6th March 2018, 08:05 AM
@stin: yes, it will work with every PS4 console. i own the white vanilla PS4 and the GT slim PS4, both working fine with PSVR

stin
6th March 2018, 08:05 PM
Thank you and yes l am planning to buy one.

Stevie ☺

blackwiggle
7th March 2018, 04:22 AM
@stin: yes, it will work with every PS4 console. i own the white vanilla PS4 and the GT slim PS4, both working fine with PSVR

I see you have been playing Hustle Kings recently [9 ball pool simulation]....with the VR headset?

Thank you and yes l am planning to buy one.

Stevie ☺
See if you can try one first Stin before you fork out the money for one, and make sure that you go through the calibration of your eye to eye measurement before playing anything [You just basically stand in front of the PS4 Eye with your head in a prescribed place and the software does it for you], and try it on a full game, not some proof of concept test game [which a lot seem to be], also don't have the headband done up too tight, the pressure point is at the back, at the base of your skull, and it doesn't take long to start getting a headache if you have it just a fraction too tight.

I'm in two minds about the VR headset after owning one for a few months now, TBH it doesn't get much use, despite owning quite a few VR games for it.....there are a few reasons for that in my case, namely Summer has just ended here, but wearing a VR headset when the average temp in Sydney has been around 36 C in the day, and 33 C at night hasn't been that nice a experience, plus I have to wear specs under the headset.

It's the loss of resolution V's the novelty of the VR effect that is the question regarding value, the loss of the video resolution is big compared to standard 1080p TV viewing, let alone 4k, that can't be hidden, but on 'some' games, the VR effect is so engrossing that resolution loss doesn't hamper your enjoyment, but on others it does.

Actually I saw a different video of Omega VR yesterday, it was at the end of this 'New VR Tiltles possibly for March release'.....it's the last video....starts at 8.16., it has comments from Sony EX DEV asking no more fishing :lol....other than that the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w88BtJzNtw

IMHO, it's all well and good to have a new dimension for Wipeout, but the fracturing of the online servers has killed any interest in playing the game online [Well not 'Interest', more Ability to play against who you were able to do before....it's called a 'Community' Sony EX DEV]

There is a way to SAVE ONLINE, and that's to have a game update that allows 'Players Met' function to be active.....without it.................................:sonar "where is everybody?

JFthebestJan
7th March 2018, 06:44 AM
@blackwiggle: Yes and no ;) I play it alot recently, but i don't own the VR, just the F2P part of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2_99AzjlrU this is what im playing alot in VR, it's ULTRA AWESOME!

blackwiggle
7th March 2018, 09:44 AM
That seems very similar to Radical-G

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjVv6H7OokU

JFthebestJan
8th March 2018, 06:41 PM
I must say that everything i tried in VR was very convincing. The OLED screen is just awesome, it displays the colors and contrasts better than any TV i've seen so far! Black is black, white is white etc. Everyone who tried my PSVR was immediately impressed by the immersion VR delivers.

AdHoc
19th March 2018, 12:55 AM
Two recent tweets from Sony XDev :

https://twitter.com/SonyXDevEurope/status/974796587863019521
https://twitter.com/SonyXDevEurope/status/974796402969796609

I think the launch of WO VR is imminent, as in the next 12 days.

JABBERJAW
19th March 2018, 06:17 PM
ok Sony, release this thing! :) and please put in Van Uber

WikEv_512
20th March 2018, 01:03 PM
I can't wait ! We need news !!!!

multibodydynamics
20th March 2018, 01:58 PM
I wonder how much information we will get in advance. It's a patch so hopefully it will just show up.

blackwiggle
21st March 2018, 09:38 AM
I'm expecting either the next PStore update or the one after that, probably the latter, as it will be the day after the PS3 HD/Fury servers close down, and it will be the Easter holiday weekend, so there is the best chance that people might actually start playing online again and get a vibe happening about the game.

It's pretty much a 'Must have VR Title" for any EURO/ AUS/NZ VR helmet owners I would think.

I don't know about the USA, as Sony USA seems to treat Wipeout with contempt, both with promotion and support, so I wouldn't be surprised if very few knew about it's imminent release, or worse still, they didn't even make the update available, so bad is their track record [Remember lumbering poor USA Wipeout HD/Fury pilots with State Farm Ad's when playing Online, and they are still waiting for the Wipeout Pulse DLC]

Maybe the VR update will tie in with a adverting push in the USA for Sony VR headsets, so Sony USA will have no choice but to push Wipeout for a change.

Hybrid Divide
21st March 2018, 08:04 PM
I'm expecting either the next PStore update or the one after that, probably the latter, as it will be the day after the PS3 HD/Fury servers close down, and it will be the Easter holiday weekend, so there is the best chance that people might actually start playing online again and get a vibe happening about the game.

It's pretty much a 'Must have VR Title" for any EURO/ AUS/NZ VR helmet owners I would think.

I don't know about the USA, as Sony USA seems to treat Wipeout with contempt, both with promotion and support, so I wouldn't be surprised if very few knew about it's imminent release, or worse still, they didn't even make the update available, so bad is their track record [Remember lumbering poor USA Wipeout HD/Fury pilots with State Farm Ad's when playing Online, and they are still waiting for the Wipeout Pulse DLC]

Maybe the VR update will tie in with a adverting push in the USA for Sony VR headsets, so Sony USA will have no choice but to push Wipeout for a change.

THAT'D BE NICE! I'd LOVE to see WO get some advertising push here. I know I've done my part, but it's so frustrating being a WO fan here.

Snakenator1
22nd March 2018, 01:35 PM
VR is being dev'd by EPOS so perhaps people on twitter should stop bothering XDev and clever beans lol xD

https://twitter.com/clever_beans/status/976812603170344961

JFthebestJan
22nd March 2018, 03:57 PM
Epos have done the VR version of 'Hustle Kings' which is very very convincing, so i expect Omega VR to be uber epic :D

blackwiggle
23rd March 2018, 06:11 AM
Hustle kings VR got a update this morning, haven't checked it out yet as I was just checking the state of some games that were updating while the PS4 was in Rest mode, before I went to work [I actually thought it was Sat morning and had been playing Burnout remastered which had downloaded overnight, when the phone rang ]....Are you OK?....Yes, why are you ringing me?....well you are and hour and a half late for work, I was just wondering what the problem was...DOH!.....Luckily I can get to work in 20 minutes.

eLhabib
27th March 2018, 09:22 AM
VR patch is dropping THIS WEEK - see you all online! :hyper

AdHoc
27th March 2018, 01:33 PM
Care to share your source?

Edit: don’t bother, I’ll do it for you
https://playfront.de/wipeout-omega-collection-vr/
+
https://twitter.com/jonnymack74/status/978169846645932032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fplayfront.de%2Fwipeout-omega-collection-vr%2F

eLhabib
27th March 2018, 01:41 PM
Oh, so it's semi-official now, too. Nice.
Not my source, but works as well ;)

JABBERJAW
27th March 2018, 02:53 PM
awesome, pretty psyched about this

Hellfire_WZ
28th March 2018, 09:34 AM
VR patch is now available!

XxSuperRyugaxX
28th March 2018, 11:21 AM
Just had a quick look in general on this update, even if I'm not an owner of PS:VR..

The bug that causes to play on D class on 2048 is still possible, also Piranha Speed on A+ is still slower than the rest of ships even if it should be the fastest.. I don't know if this is done on purpose or it is a bug.

Well anyway, if you find new bugs or notice something has been fixed, just post it :)

eLhabib
28th March 2018, 11:30 AM
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD :eek
Guys, those thousands of hours playing all the different wipEouts through the years on a screen were just to prepare us for THIS. I only just realized. We have never even TASTED the true wipEout feeling before today.

I am utterly blown away. And I have played quite a lot of VR games before this. Nothing compares.

Wow.
See you in the Matrix.

stin
28th March 2018, 12:06 PM
Seriously , l would love to buy one but l will borrow my nephew vr first hopefully this week before l will decide.

Stevie ☺

Hybrid Divide
28th March 2018, 12:15 PM
WipEout in VR is damn near everything I hoped it could be.

The devs should be DAMN proud!

dontmindlosing
28th March 2018, 12:51 PM
Sorry, I've been out of the loop. What are the three new ships they mention?

Racingfan
28th March 2018, 01:25 PM
I'm disappointed with this patch, i don't think much was fixed at all. Region lists is still a thing, sol is not playable on lower classes, and other things..

The UI SIze during level category section during campaign is weird, why did they move that? same with ship selection, the ships shouldnt be shown during non VR mode.

the ships look alright i guess, now if there was only a pure cosmetic option to play with those ships with the exact same stats in non-vr...

Sucks that this game will probably never be fixed now :(

blackwiggle
28th March 2018, 02:08 PM
It's a 5.445 GB download for this update for those that might need to know

- - - Updated - - -

I'm disappointed with this patch, i don't think much was fixed at all. Region lists is still a thing, sol is not playable on lower classes, and other things..

The UI SIze during level category section during campaign is weird, why did they move that? same with ship selection, the ships shouldnt be shown during non VR mode.

the ships look alright i guess, now if there was only a pure cosmetic option to play with those ships with the exact same stats in non-vr...

Sucks that this game will probably never be fixed now :(

Are you really surprised ?

eLhabib
28th March 2018, 02:13 PM
The VR ships are exact copies of the non-VR ships, stats-wise, so there would be no benefit in playing them non-VR.
As for the other bugs: let's just hope that somehow this game gets a little more attention by the casual masses due to being a good VR showcase - if enough people start playing, maybe we have a chance to see a future patch with bugfixes.
Anyway, there's nothing gamebreaking there imo.

Racingfan
28th March 2018, 02:22 PM
The VR ships are exact copies of the non-VR ships, stats-wise, so there would be no benefit in playing them non-VR.
As for the other bugs: let's just hope that somehow this game gets a little more attention by the casual masses due to being a good VR showcase - if enough people start playing, maybe we have a chance to see a future patch with bugfixes.
Anyway, there's nothing gamebreaking there imo.

doubt it, the game is 10 months old now, these things should been fixed since release.

Now if PS+ version ever comes, i bet there will be thousands of confused people with the region list, lol

- - - Updated - - -

It's a 5.445 GB download for this update for those that might need to know

- - - Updated - - -

Are you really surprised ?

with this wait, i guess not lol

blackwiggle
28th March 2018, 02:31 PM
My HT amp has decided to crap out on me.....Timing [ You Bastard].....I can still play the game, but without Surround, in VR, well that's difficult.

All REAL WO Tragics will have their PS3's up and running, and playing some serious kick arse online GG, for the last time.......DO IT!

See you there.! :clap:clap:clap

eLhabib
28th March 2018, 02:35 PM
Racingfan, why so negative?
We just got a whole VR update, including modeled ships and cockpits, fully integrated into the whole game (which by the way no other game has done before), and all of it completely free!
I don't know about you, but I'm happy, thanks.

Region lists: sure, a bit clunky, but who cares? at least you can CHOOSE your server location, which most games don't let you.
UI size is weird: ok, so? Doesn't affect me at all.
VR ships visible to non-VR players? Erm, it's called marketing. Show people what they could have with VR. Also, it's f*cking amazing that VR and non-VR players can race against each other, so it only makes sense to show the non-VR players the VR ships, so they know what it is they are racing against.
Sol not playable on C speed? Well. First of all, it IS playable, and second, why would you race C class anyway? ;)

cheer up 8)

blackwiggle
28th March 2018, 02:43 PM
Still downloading the patch......will I be able to play against you online ? Doubt it.
Seems the same coding for the various servers hasn't changed...... so I can only expect to be ejected as previous attempts to race agisnt my EURO based friends.

Racingfan
28th March 2018, 02:46 PM
Racingfan, why so negative?
We just got a whole VR update, including modeled ships and cockpits, fully integrated into the whole game (which by the way no other game has done before), and all of it completely free!
I don't know about you, but I'm happy, thanks.

Region lists: sure, a bit clunky, but who cares? at least you can CHOOSE your server location, which most games don't let you.
UI size is weird: ok, so? Doesn't affect me at all.
VR ships visible to non-VR players? Erm, it's called marketing. Show people what they could have with VR. Also, it's f*cking amazing that VR and non-VR players can race against each other, so it only makes sense to show the non-VR players the VR ships, so they know what it is they are racing against.
Sol not playable on C speed? Well. First of all, it IS playable, and second, why would you race C class anyway? ;)

cheer up 8)

region lists confuses players, it defaults to the region the game is from & ur psn region. i remember back at release when players were being alone in US lobbies, when there were multiple EU lobbies available. i was also confused by it first time when i was racing a friend, but i couldnt find his lobby for 5 minutes. a friend of mine who was rank 20 (which is around 200 races) never even knew about it, he thought the online died in 2 days lmao. even today i still see people hosting in these regions. completely pointless feature.
for me it looks weird, whats worse is half the ships are locked in 2048

sol is locked on anything below A class, they also have it's own leaderboards that has 0 players. its fun to race on the lower classes, doing BR's that ain't normally possible on higher classes, etc

eLhabib
28th March 2018, 03:00 PM
for me it looks weird, whats worse is half the ships are locked in 2048

Since there are 4 different ship Variations (stats-wise) of every team in 2048, naturally there are also 4 VR ships. As I said, these carry the exact same stats as their non-VR counterparts, only difference is that they look different because they have that rotateable cockpit (so you can BR without throwing up ;) )

JFthebestJan
28th March 2018, 05:12 PM
GT Sport will get time trial VR mode, and Trackmania Turbo will be a PS+ game next month. great times for VR racing :)

Hybrid Divide
28th March 2018, 06:07 PM
I almost never used to play WipEout in first person. I liked how it looked, but I couldn't race well with it.

But VR changes everything.

Being able to look into corners is nothing short of revolutionary. It has improved my racing immensely almost instantly! I hit Mach 1.5 on my first Zone mode attempt in VR, with 4 perfect laps. And even on the easier tracks, I couldn't seem to manage that normally! Being able to look into corners has completely changed my play style for Detonator, too. It's SO MUCH EASIER to line up my shots!

I can't wait to get home and keep playing. I'm quite simply floored. I've loved every minute of it so far!

multibodydynamics
28th March 2018, 06:56 PM
There is a little comfort for those who don't have a VR headset. The new VR ship is actually possible to race with. Select the VR ship below the ordinary chrome skin. You will see a padlock. Press up and X almost exactly at the same time, but press up slightly before X. The screen shifts to the chrome skin but the VR ship is still selected. Works in HD Race, Zone Battle, Detonator and 2048 Race and Zone but only for the VR ships directly below the ordinary non-VR ships.

Mikahail
28th March 2018, 07:20 PM
There is a little comfort for those who don't have a VR headset. The new VR ship is actually possible to race with. Select the VR ship below the ordinary chrome skin. You will see a padlock. Press up and X almost exactly at the same time, but press up slightly before X. The screen shifts to the chrome skin but the VR ship is still selected. Works in HD Race, Zone Battle, Detonator and 2048 Race and Zone but only for the VR ships directly below the ordinary non-VR ships.

Can confirm, it works.

Lion
28th March 2018, 07:25 PM
I knew I wanted it
didn't know till now that I needed it.

I am leaving for work now but am very anxious to get home and try more of this.

Racingfan
28th March 2018, 07:58 PM
Can confirm, it works.

Lol, I'm surprised this works. They said it's designed for VR, but then the glitch shows its fully playable without any issues. smh

Still, you can't use cockpit view, only far, close & internal. And you can only glitch it on HD ships.

Because of this glitch, internal view is fully playable, no screen shaking while doing barrel rolls. You can now compete with other views.

Some of the new ships are cool, like piranha prototype. Van uber also looks cool now

Internal is pretty fun to fly with now :D

Knux_Chaotix
28th March 2018, 10:25 PM
Does the game feel slower after the update or is it just me?

eLhabib
28th March 2018, 10:35 PM
What do you mean by slower - lower framerate? Or do you feel the speed in a certain speed class is lower than before? Didn't notice anything so far...

Knux_Chaotix
28th March 2018, 11:01 PM
Rapier didnt feel like Rapier.

JABBERJAW
28th March 2018, 11:29 PM
mine turns on, then you can hear the menu screen but cannot see it, any ideas?

eLhabib
28th March 2018, 11:29 PM
All feels pretty normal to me.

Just have to say, I am SO hyped right now - the whole internet is buzzing with wipEout VR, reddit is flooding with enthusiastic reports! This could be the push to finally bring wipEout back into the limelight and make Sony see that this franchise NEEDS to come back big time!
Reinstate Studio Liverpool, bring back the original designers, LETS GO! :hyper

Lion
29th March 2018, 12:25 AM
Rapier didnt feel like Rapier.
I need to get home and play more to work out if this is just the effect of VR or if the game is actually slower. I have done one race so far in VR, on Anulpha Pass at Rapier. It felt like Flash.

JABBERJAW
29th March 2018, 01:57 AM
ok, I got it working for no apparent reason. HD was pretty incredible in first person, never felt anything like that playing a game before. I havent locked to the pilot yet, but I didnt like first person in normal mode before because of that anyway. Third person played alot like the 3D mode on the ps3, but the ships were huge. There was alot blur on this mode on turns making my head hurt. 2048 was pretty good, the drrops on Downtown were really well done. I almost threw up and had to stop when I played Sol. It was pretty amazing though, that crazy drop and the ups and downs.

- - - Updated - - -

Lion.......Its because of the crazy up close view, its still moving just as fast. my lap times were close when I managed to not hit walls. I oversteered alot, but getting used to it shouldnt be too bad given time.

COCKPIT VIEW: The view just changed. the top and sides of the cockpit are solid now, they used to be see through (glass I think). I could see way more when I first played

chalovak
29th March 2018, 11:50 AM
The game doesn’t launch with supersampling mode on.
Gives you CE-34878-0 error.

JABBERJAW
29th March 2018, 12:09 PM
It wasnt that, I checked it, I think I was probably out of range because it majically started working. The funny thing is that I got that error, even though super sampling was off

chalovak
29th March 2018, 12:17 PM
Maybe it’s random then. But two VR games weren’t working with this option on yesterday in my case.

JABBERJAW
29th March 2018, 12:30 PM
I believe you for sure, its just that mine was off. maybe the system still thought it was on? not sure

Lion
29th March 2018, 12:54 PM
I find the options for PSVR users frustratingly unclear - I still don't know what some of them do. But I turned on anything that looked like it might be more inclined to cause motion sickness or increase a sense of speed. It still didn't make me motion sick (I just played for 2 straight hours) and either it feels faster now or I have made the necessary mental adjustments.

I immediately set a new personal best zone score on Anulpha Pass on my first VR attempt, and spent some time sorting out races where I had previously managed to get stuck and only had a lower level gold medal. Now they are elite golds. VR really seems to make piloting come more naturally.

The single biggest difference for me is pathfinding on vertical bends. Moa Therma and Metropia each have me looking up a bunch for pathfinding, Moa Therma in particular feels like I really don't wanna go back now... VR transforms that track. And just head movement in general makes it easier to spot mines and bombs. I'm not finding myself looking hard left/right at neighbouring craft very frequently, but it feels cool when you do. Something else that feels cool is tailgating someone - the engine wash effect is really pronounced, and honestly I don't remember noticing it before at all. Can someone who has played the regular game more recently than me comment on whether that's always been a thing?

One side-point... The cockpit is set up basically mirrored. Why?
The pilot's left hand is on the stick, and right hand is on the throttle (HOTAS style) but this is the opposite way around to normal. I thought maybe it could be because the left stick on a dualshock is used for pitch/roll, but those are thumb sticks so it's a bit of a reach to say it's for immersion. Right now it just looks wrong whenever I look down that far. While I'm on that topic... I keep wishing the player model moved, too... tilt the stick to the left when I move the thumbstick to the left. I can understand why something like this wasn't done (a lot of effort for a low priority nicety) but it would definitely fall into my nice-to-haves

Jonny
29th March 2018, 01:56 PM
Due to this update and the GTS one, i am actually already running to my retailer lmao

chalovak
29th March 2018, 02:57 PM
Can't figure out what are the new 3 ships they've added in this update. All I see is that the design of all ships is different from non-VR game due to the necessity to remove anything in front of a cockpit. All HD & Fury ships are like Assegai construction wise.

Jonny
29th March 2018, 07:29 PM
These are the three new ships. A 2048 VR ship, a HD and a Fury VR ship. All with the same body, but varying liveries.
I'm glad you can adjust the cam in the options.

It's amazing, for this game alone all this money was worth it!
But at least at first, I'm about to throw up XD

Lion
29th March 2018, 10:59 PM
I find the options for PSVR users frustratingly unclear - I still don't know what some of them do. But I turned on anything that looked like it might be more inclined to cause motion sickness or increase a sense of speed. It still didn't make me motion sick (I just played for 2 straight hours) and either it feels faster now or I have made the necessary mental adjustments.
So I have spent some time messing with this...
Camera Settings
Lock Camera to Track - the camera is located inside the cockpit, but glides around comfortably. the cockpit visibly rotates around your view. probably the most comfortable for people who are sensitive to motion sickness, but I found the cockpit distracting and it didn't feel as immersive as the other options
Lock Camera to Cockpit - the camera moves a bit more here. it pitches and rolls with the cockpit, but I don't think the cockpit bounces as much in this mode? not sure what the balance is
Lock Camera to Pilot - the most like actually being there, but also the most likely to make you feel sick. I'm pretty sure that where Cockpit gives you rotations, Pilot gives you rotations and translations. I'm not very sensitive to VR motion sickness but I could only do one race before I had to go back to Cockpit view.

Headset Settings
Off - as much of a view as the game can give you
Small - like playing with horse blinkers on. Directs your view and probably helps some people with motion sickness
Large - like playing while looking through a toilet paper roll. I had turned this on in error before I realised what it was. Thought the solid walls thing was how it maintained framerate in multiplayer at first and left a couple of games early before I figured this out. Jabberjaw, this is what you encountered when you said "The view just changed. the top and sides of the cockpit are solid now, they used to be see through (glass I think). I could see way more when I first played"

Field of View Settings
On/Off - I am still unclear on what this does. My best guess right now is whether or not the game can temporarily increase your FOV to make it feel faster when you go over speed-boosts or use turbo. I can't quantify it well so that's just a guess. I have worked out that the game feels more correct with it on, but I can't give a definitive reason.

eLhabib
29th March 2018, 11:10 PM
FOV Setting ON makes your head position in the game artificially bob back a bit when you accelerate due to speed pads and turbo pickups and bounce forward when getting stopped due to weapons/crashes. It's a bit like visual force feedback and makes everything feel a bit more real imo, even though it is very subtle. I would recommend leaving it ON.

Jonny
29th March 2018, 11:37 PM
I wonder, is it possible to get used to motion sickness?
I don't really want to limit myself playing the fast stuff with VR :lol

JABBERJAW
30th March 2018, 01:16 AM
I hope you can, otherwise Sony will have to make a Wipeout trash bucket (with holograms ) so people can keep it next to them while they play, just in case you need to make a deposit

chalovak
30th March 2018, 10:57 AM
These are the three new ships. A 2048 VR ship, a HD and a Fury VR ship. All with the same body, but varying liveries.

That makes 6 VR ships then, with 4 ships from 2048 (each class looks different).) I thought they were talking about absolutely new (VR exclusive) ships separate from the standard set and not about design changes.
But it appears it's just 3 different cockpits from 3 instalments and that's it. Oh, well.

AdHoc
30th March 2018, 11:18 AM
Extensive videotest by Digital Foundry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsabUGY8-_U

blackwiggle
31st March 2018, 01:40 PM
One would have hoped that at least some interest would have been shown about the VR release at Sony's own PlayStation UK based forums.
Read it....it won't take you long as there are bugger all posts.....nobody cares.......even 72 hours after the BIG RELEASE.....PHFFFTTT....Nothing....Sad.
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Driving-Racing/bd-p/149

Then again, that might be a reflection of the PlayStation community forum.....I know there is a lot of "CONTROL" , 'Laughable' that still goes on , and why few actually post there feelings anymore.

Lion
1st April 2018, 05:09 AM
Extensive videotest by Digital Foundry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsabUGY8-_U
Seems they didn't do their homework as relates to the blacked out cabin walls at 1m28: https://youtu.be/gsabUGY8-_U?t=88
This is the "Headset Settings" behaviour. In the video you see that set to Large - which obscures a huge amount of the scene and (in my opinion) ruins the game. When set to "Off" the game stays in the state it was for them on the grid.

crabcreature
7th April 2018, 03:32 PM
I wonder, is it possible to get used to motion sickness?
I don't really want to limit myself playing the fast stuff with VR :lol

TLDR:
Yes you can acclimate yourself to smooth locomotion in VR. Basically only play up until the point that you "feel off" or uncomfortable--never play until you're actually sick as that's counterproductive. Then take a break for a while (a few hours to 24 hours) and then repeat. Start with translational smooth locomotion, then rotational in yaw/heading within a cockpit setting, and finally rotational in roll and pitch.

Long version:
Although a small percentage of people can't, most absolutely can "get over" simulator sickness. They call it "getting your VR legs". If one follows the correct procedure they can typically acclimate pretty quickly. However, looking at the videos, Wipeout VR is probably not a good game to start with. One should typically start with experiences that only have relatively slow translational (as in positional--not rotational) smooth locomotion. It still amazes me that Sony is willing to drop kids into these VR experiences without a sort of preliminary smooth locomotion "training" game--I can only imagine that tons of kids are getting sick and coming to the false conclusion that VR isn't for them, but that's a different discussion.

Anyways, this is based on my own anecdotal experience demoing VR to many people (and corroborated by others). There was a large study performed by the US military which pretty much came to the same conclusion but I don't have a link to it.

First, as mentioned before, I recommend you start with games that don't have any artificial smooth locomotion--that is, only games that have teleport or no artificial locomotion. This is just to get your eyes accustomed to the strange visual quirks of VR, that mainly being that you're limited to a constant focal depth of about 2m (6ft). After this, start with a game that only has smooth translational artificial locomotion and preferably one that is slow paced. By "translational" I mean "positional" (forward, back, strafe left, strafe right) and without rotation. In the PCVR world this would be Onward but I don't know what its counterpart is in the PSVR world. It will also help if you sit down. But the key is this: only play up until the point that you "feel off" or slightly uncomfortable. Don't ever play until you're actually sick. That is often counterproductive and can actually make you more prone to simulator sickness. Most people can only tolerate 5 to 10 minutes of this at first, but that's completely OK. Once you feel "off", stop and take a break (how long the break should be depends on your level of discomfort--to be safe I tell people 24 hours). Then repeat this process.

Using this method, most people are OK with smooth translational artificial locomotion after a few days. I started with 15 minutes and by the end of the week I didn't really have a limit. At this point I don't even think about it.

After you're comfortable with smooth translational locomotion, move on to a cockpit game that incorporates smooth rotational artificial locomotion. The cockpit itself usually makes this more tolerable than smooth rotational locomotion without a cockpit as the cockpit provides a frame of reference or "grounding". I recommend you start with games that only have smooth yaw rotation (rotational about the "up" axis)--probably just a vanilla racing game. Use the same procedure as noted in the prior paragraphs. Once you're OK with that, move on to games that incorporate smooth roll rotation ("tilt" left or right) and smooth pitch rotation (up and down).

Wipeout VR incorporates translational smooth locomotion as well as rotational in yaw, pitch, and roll. While some people may be OK getting their VR legs with Wipeout VR, I really can't recommend it.

mannjon
8th April 2018, 04:30 AM
Thanks for this Lion!