PDA

View Full Version : i may be away for quite awhile

Lance
3rd October 2003, 03:57 PM
my monitor is arcing internally and can no longer be used, thus rendering my computer equally useless. i can't buy a new one and don't know if it can be repaired. i'm accessing wz with a neighbor's computer right now, but my access to it is variable, to say the least. the other moderators should keep in mind that i can no longer be here all the time, if at all, not that there has been much need for moderatiing, lately [yay!]

i'll be here when i can.

___lance

infoxicated
3rd October 2003, 04:01 PM
Thanks Lance - that's a damn shame.

I have two old but servicable monitors sitting doing nothing in the spare room... pity you aren't a tad closer or I'd donate one to you :)

zargz
3rd October 2003, 05:50 PM
hey we'll miss your 50-100 lines entrys! (^___^)

Lance
3rd October 2003, 06:00 PM
''Red Bull gives you wings'', but even if the monitors could drink it, they'd ''ground out''.

thanks for the thought.

i tried temporarily using my neighbor's little monitor, but it didn't work. no driver for it, and no way to install the driver on my comp since i have to have a monitor to see where to click. the old circular triple cross-bind. yup.

and anyway, he's going to need it. probably

i should have his comp for a few more hours, anyway, maybe longer if i'm lucky

jmoid
3rd October 2003, 06:17 PM
That sucks. Hope you can sort something out soon.

science
4th October 2003, 06:11 PM
lance, you can pick up a monitor via ebay for the price of dirt. shipping may be a bear, but you could probably pick the monitor up for less than $10, and in some cases for a penny!
just a thought...

Lance
4th October 2003, 07:23 PM
[looks under couch for change to buy dirt] aHA! oops. forgot i have to pay the electric bill. oh, well. good thought, though, Joel. If i get a few temporary one day type jobs, i should try that. the guy next door hasn't opened up the monitor, but he says it may be a transformer that's gone bad. i suppose he's referring to insulation breakdown on the wire windings. anyway, thanks for the info

Wamdue
4th October 2003, 09:33 PM
Aww what a shame :/ I would have sent you a monitor if I had a spare one.

Tried using tv-out?

Lance
5th October 2003, 03:05 AM
?
[displays ignorance] uh.. tv-out?
what? how? does it work with Win98SE?
[still has use of neighbor's comp tonight. yay! i wonder how long till he wants it back.]

science
5th October 2003, 09:08 PM
check your video card, it may have a tv out on it.

Lance
6th October 2003, 03:46 AM
my neighbor took a look inside my monitor today. the transformer base is melted a bit on one side and it's showing discolorations on the coil cover on that same side. also a diode on the other side of the chassis is showing heat discolorations where the wires go through the circuit board. so the search is on for an old monitor that someone doesn't want anymore. a ten dollar one may be available if the owner can find it.

i don't think my comp has tv out. rca connectors, probably? don't think i have any of those. all one-eight inch plugs or modems or usb or din pin stuff. will check again when i get home.

argh. i've been offline many hours today. i'm not sure i will survive. [chews the scenery more than Ricardo Montalban in Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan] [oh the agony oh the suffering.] :D

nah. i'll live. eventually. heaps of videogame playing in the meantime, probably

Lance
7th October 2003, 02:46 AM
about 20 minutes ago, a generous person loaned me his #1 monitor cos he is currently computerless. i am back on the internet at all hours now, and believe you me, today and yesterday really sucked in a major way. i'm used to being able to look up any data any time and as often as i want, so it was torture. get a life, you say? the internet is a big part of life for me. this is not a bad thing, in my opinion. :D

[pause for drama] my suffering is over. at least for now. which is what counts

infoxicated
7th October 2003, 08:12 AM
Result :D

science
7th October 2003, 03:04 PM
i too, will soon be online at all hours! my computer arrives today and the cable guy comes tomorrow.
see, ive been living in the dark ages for the last several months. I moved in with my girlfriend without a PC, so ive been a nomad creature over the past while- jumping from house to house, computer lab to computer lab to try to finish various school projects on time. that is not a fun life to lead when you are taking two 20 hour semesters in a row! anyhow, im (mostly) settled into the student lifestyle (hey, it only took 3 years!) and i will finally have a computer, so you should see more of me, like it or not, in the near future. ;)

Lance
7th October 2003, 03:52 PM
excellent news, Joel!

settled into student life? that's an accomplishment. i never really settled, but even so, i loved every second of it

Wiseman
9th October 2003, 08:05 AM
Good to see that you got your problems (at least temp.) solved there, Lance!

Lance
9th October 2003, 05:41 PM
yes! i am feeling much better now :D