PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Roll speed

JABBERJAW
31st July 2017, 03:24 PM
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but does performing the Barrel Roll slow you down, and if so, it it better to perform it right before hitting to minimize the slowdown

JFthebestJan
31st July 2017, 05:37 PM
it depends on the airtime and angle you are performing to get a BR, but generally spoken, yes. little slowdown to get a 'big' advantage, so if you mess up the BR you'll be punished twice ;)

mannjon
31st July 2017, 11:38 PM
Any time you are nosing up (holding down) you get more lift than you normally would by a large margin and you sort of "float" for a second. There are a few instances I can think of that are a good example of this.

The turboroll on Vineta K, is a lot of fun to get a lot of air on (just before the start line). Most players find it easier to just get a bunch of unnecessary air. But a lower roll can literally shave a second off of the maneuver. Same thing on Metropia Reverse on the turbo roll spot just before the finish line.

The fastest way is to sideshift into one and immediately roll out of the sideshift.

Some spots (on slower speeds specifically) are about as fast as if you didn't do a roll at all like on Sol 2 reverse on the uphill roll. Others, like on Metropia waste a lot of time, but make up for it by having a long straight to get to full benefit from the roll. Sol 2 by contrast, will require you to immediately brake based on the angle. Another good example is Chenghou forward on the little bump after the raised left hand turn. You have a long straight just after, and every other ship will likely be slowed down anyway, so that is a good place to speed away.

But also consider that some rolls set up a chain, that landing the first might not help much, but getting that slight speed boost helps to land a second one. But really is is like JF says, the airtime and angle should determine how much you slow down.

JABBERJAW
1st August 2017, 12:35 AM
I'll word it a little better. The large jump on amphesium (for example). Is it any faster to wait to do the BR just before landing rather than the split second you fall off the large fall

JFthebestJan
1st August 2017, 03:32 AM
you can easily answer your question by doing both methods, and recording the results. then afterwards you can compare the two different methods in 'SHAREfactory' by a frame by frame analysis. that should give you a good idea of how things are working...

JABBERJAW
1st August 2017, 02:57 PM
That's too much work for me :). I figured someone going for lap records would have figured this out by now