PDA

View Full Version : End of an era - RIP PS3 - 2006-2017

Hellfire_WZ
30th May 2017, 10:12 AM
So the PS3 has come to an end, production has finally stopped after an 11 year run

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-30-playstation-3-production-finally-shut-down

What's your favourite memories of the console? Aside from Wipeout HD of course ;)

Snakenator1
30th May 2017, 11:02 AM
Only 11 years? that's nothing compared too PS2's 13 year production life ;)

Think I was 14 years old when we got our first PS3 (2011, yeah me and my Dad were late to the party). I originally shared the console with my Dad and I didn't have any games I could play on the system, wasn't old enough at the time. Plus I was still too attached to my Gamecube and PS2 to start playing on the PS3.

Man the memories with the PS3 are pretty fond ones to me though, first game I played on the system was Star Wars force unleashed which was "okay". But then I found out that there were new Ratchet & Clank games on the system and I love the Ratchet & Clank series (third was the best imo). I think I played tools of destruction and a crack in time 8 times, each.
Then the inevitable COD phase came when I hit 15, me, my Dad and Uncle would play COD World at War multiplayer (which 9/10 times I won lol) and Zombies. This would be tradition for many years and once Black Ops 2 came out with 4 player split-screen zombies, times were always fun for me. Watching the PS3 struggle and the frame rate crash with all those zombies on three different screens was both hilarious and endearing.
Started playing the Uncharted games which were absolutely awesome, its a must play for all PS3 owners. However I remember actually watching my Dad play through all three games every Friday night when I was not yet old enough to play them (but I could watch lol). We'd work together to solve the puzzles, those are some really happy memories of me and my Dad really bonding with each other.
Also got into Borderlands 2 which I may have had a friend's parents buy for me as I was only 16, wasted so much time farming for legendaries that I didn't revise for my GCSE exams. Just about managed to get away with it and get good grades :lol (don't do that, revise for exams)

Then I started college and then the glorious WipEout games were introduced to me by a friend who bought a Vita and 2048. I love F-Zero GX on the Gamecube so it was love at first site. Then I watched Charlie's beginners tutorial and found out WZ and joined in 2014 (3 years ago!). Finally bought my own PS3 after sharing the original for years with my Dad.
And well now here I am, good times with the system. We still have and use our PS3 from 2011, it never failed or broke on us, not even once. I'll always love it :D

TheConzio
30th May 2017, 03:46 PM
Saved up and bought a PS3 when I was 12 (2010) doing paper rounds. My first games on the system were Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and ModNation Racers. During this time my cousins would come over with World at War and that was always fun (setting up mattresses all over the loungeroom floor as it was usually a sleepover), even though none of us were legally old enough for the game :P

After that I had moved house and started high school (2011) where everyone had a PS3 too. One of my new friends (and still is) lent me LittleBigPlanet 2 and said "It came out during the holidays and it's not what you think it might be, it's pretty cool". After playing it I was hooked, so I bought a copy for myself and played that endlessly with quite a few people. This was also the year PSN had that welcome back pack thing when the servers closed down for quite some time, and you could choose 2 out of 5 games to own and download for free. One of them was HD/Fury :P and I was brought back to the world of WipEout after a long absence since playing 2097 on my uncle's PS1 when I was a youngster.

The following year (2012) was when Black Ops 2 was released and far out, the memories made on that game were great and full of laughs with friends, which most are unfortunately out of my life now. My cousins, brother and I would always play it split-screen when we had family gatherings. This was the year I participated in my first WZ tournament, that being REBIRTH :)

After this (other than HD/Fury) I had some good times with Gran Turismo 6 competitions/tournaments in 2014/15 (although I was quite terrible compared to GTPlanet players).

So that's my highlights of the system :)

Racingfan
31st May 2017, 02:54 AM
cant believe its been that long... i got a ps3 in feb 2008 when i was 11 :lol

first game i got for ps3 was need for speed pro street... man that was soo fun to play... sadly the servers are closed 5 years ago :(

then i got burnout paradise which i played for almost a year, but stopped because i lost my save when my first ps3 stopped working :(

i also remember there wasnt xmb in game so you had to quit the game to send messages etc

but yeah good times :p

KazzyMac
31st May 2017, 03:12 AM
RIP PS3.

I can count the number of PS3 games I've bought on one hand; unfortunately I didn't get one when they first came out (as they were £450 at the time, which was waaaaaaaaay too expensive for a broke-ass 20-year-old). I stuck with my PS2, Gamecube and PC until 2010, which was when I bought a 360.

I think I finally bought a PS3 January 2012, when the prices had dropped pretty significantly (I paid £200 for mine). I'll admit I bought it solely to play Motorstorm, and I never really got into the console compared to some others. Yes, I didn't even buy a PS3 to play HD/Fury. I couldn't buy games over PSN at that point anyway. :-(

I did eventually relent and purchase HD/Fury, though, because Pulse and Pure were amazing and I was doing the games injustice. Most recently I bought Ridge Racer 7 ((Did you know there are new, unopened copies of that still available??)) and I've been having fun with that, doing everything in my power to make the next week go quicker. ;)

As is clear I can't say I've got as many fond memories of the PS3 as you peeps here because, to be fair, I didn't get many games on the console (Motorstorm trilogy, Blur, LittleBigPlanet, Wipeout HD/Fury and RR7 are pretty literally all the games I've bought for it). But what memories I do have are still good ones; the console has some real gems on it, and even if its starting to show its age with its graphics it's still putting out some pretty impressive stuff (Motorstorm and Blur are honestly far-better looking than they really deserve to be lol).

I'm just gonna hope that when mine dies it dies a good death. I think that's the least it deserves after all. :)

Racingfan
31st May 2017, 03:23 AM
I should get a used copy of ridge racer 7... i heard theres still a community playing rr7

need for speed carbon is still online too but not sure if people still play it

JFthebestJan
31st May 2017, 05:47 PM
RR7 is the last game of the PS3 launch games, which has an active online community. And btw it is the first console game ever with native 1080/60p!

KazzyMac
31st May 2017, 10:22 PM
It does!

I was gobsmacked when I first loaded it up and discovered that people are still actively playing multiplayer or UFRA events. The game doesn't even have trophies; it's that old. Just goes to show how dedicated some players are. :)

I'm probably going to steer clear of multiplayer, though. The people still playing it probably have the meta cars/tuning/racing strats down to a T.

Ace3000
2nd June 2017, 04:43 AM
I know I tuned a monster of a Himmel EO that could decimate the Soldat Crinale.

KazzyMac
3rd June 2017, 09:51 PM
Took me three goes to beat that thing, mostly because after trashing the Angelus I was cocky and went in unprepared.

I'm not sure I was supposed to beat it with Flex nitrous though ...... haha.

blackwiggle
4th June 2017, 07:39 AM
I was putting off buying one when they were first released, mainly because at the time there was still a Format battle going on between HDDVD [which the Xbox 360 had a external HDDVD drive you could hook up to] and Bluray, which the PS3 had.
The fact that also at the time the PS3 didn't upscale DVD's almost put me off buying one.
They Sony gave the then head of Warner Bros a cushy job, just after he happens to sign WB up to support Bluray [what a coincidence ] after that it was certain HDDVD was dead, and Toshiba gave up the fight.
About a week before that announcement I had hedged my bets and gone in a bought both a Xbox 360 Elite and on of the last original FAT PS3 60GB model, as it was announced they were stopping backward compatibility.

The Xbox had two games played on it, then sat untouched for several years, eventually packed back up into it's box, and only opened again when I needed a Xbox controller so I could play Formula Fusion on a PC.

The PS3 got played to death, and I mean death, It was Summer here in Aus and I was about 100+ into a Final Fantasy game, went to the toilet and came back and found my console had suddenly died AARGGH !, I hadn't backed up any saves to a USB stick, the console had to go back to Sony for repair, which they wiped the HD for security reasons, luckily I HAD saved all my HD progress, so I could reinstall that, but the thing was when I got the console back Sony had made the fans run at MAX at all times, you can't be in the same room with it and hear anything coming from the TV it's that loud.....so basically useless, I put it back into it's box, and placed it beside the Xbox.

I bought a PS3 Slim the next day and have been using it ever since.

The PS3 is the console I have by far the most games for, and by far the most games I have completed on.

Highlight's
Well HD/Fury obviously close to 1700 hours playing that according to a anniversary email I got from Sony.
Dragon's Dogma - Dark Arisen - which was a PS+ free game, what a engrossing RPG, thoroughly enjoyed it.
The Last of US - WOW ! That game still blows me away, right up there with FFVII as one of the most important games ever made IMHO.
The Uncharted series
Deus EX - Human Revolution
LBP & LBP2
The Walking Dead series, very thought provoking
Journey - Came out of nowhere and blew everybody away with it's simplicity and spiritual vibe.

I think the most important thing about the PS3 is, it's probably where the majority of the people at this forum first met each other, or were introduced to the Wipeoutzone by somebody you met online playing HD/Fury.
And that is a GOOD THING :)

Jonny
9th June 2017, 11:20 AM
It actually took me until 2015 to get a PS3, I'm more in schedule for the PS4 though (thanking Omega Collection for this)