PDA

View Full Version : European WipEout Convention 10 Final Blast!!

Mad-Ice
1st April 2017, 07:04 AM
Ten years ago it all started in Amsterdam. With the launch of Pure on the PSP a bunch of crazy pilots came together. We all know what happened after! A lot of new friendships started and still continue. Now WipEout Omega is coming out for PS4 and I want to organise the Final Blast Convention in Amsterdam. Let's see who is interested in this event?!

From Thursday 24th untill Sunday the 27th of August.

Who's coming?

Greetz Mad-Ice

A short post because of limited time! More info will be coming.

Racingfan
1st April 2017, 12:31 PM
Have fun guys :)

q_dmc12
1st April 2017, 03:10 PM
How I wish I could be there. It would be neat for those of us in other countries unable to make the trip, to participate online. If that's a thing, I would do my best to represent digitally.

Knux_Chaotix
2nd April 2017, 02:12 AM
Fuuuuuuuuuu... Same weekend as Creamfields. Gutted I wont make it. I love Amsterdam.

G'Kyl
2nd April 2017, 10:10 AM
Count me in! :)

stin
2nd April 2017, 10:50 AM
Put me own as maybe depending on my mum's health. If her health works out (hopefully) me and my soon to be wife will be there.

stevie :) (time to renew passports)

Mad-Ice
2nd April 2017, 03:47 PM
Thanks Charlie for moving this thread here :)

Racingfan: it will be fun as always! Try to join.

q_dmc12: during the tournament it will not be easy for pilots around the world to join. But before or after the tournament, there is always room to join a race with pilots present.

Knux: oh come on. Creamfields is every year. This one will be last. Take Rapier with you.

Stin: whoohoo, congrats matey and hope to see you this year again.

G'kyl: I am so happy to hear you are coming.

JFthebestJan
2nd April 2017, 03:49 PM
How I wish I could be there. It would be neat for those of us in other countries unable to make the trip, to participate online. If that's a thing, I would do my best to represent digitally.

that's a pretty damn cool idea! what about a 'PS4-community' called 'wipEout Convention 10 Final Blast' or something similar!?!? that would be a nice place to spread the word as well, kind of advertisement for the event ;)

i would like to be there again, im not 100% confirmed yet though, but i'll try my best...XD

Sausehuhn
2nd April 2017, 05:03 PM
:eek oh man. I got plans till 25th. But I’m seriously intrigued. Just asking myself if I should come for a night. Don’t you guys want to push it to the week after? :D

Hellfire_WZ
2nd April 2017, 05:14 PM
I may have to keep some time free :)

Knux_Chaotix
2nd April 2017, 11:54 PM
@Mad-Ice I swear if we hadn't already paid for the tickets for Creamfields we'd be there. Proper gutted.

OBH
3rd April 2017, 08:49 AM
Never been to one of these, and never been to Amsterdam.

I'm all over this.

eLhabib
5th April 2017, 12:13 PM
I'm in! :hyper
Looking forward to seeing you guys again!

AmigoJack
5th April 2017, 07:38 PM
Now so many guys reply from which I never heard anything within years, questioning if they're still alive... :)

That weekend is okay for me, so count me in at 90%. Looking into details about where we meet - thinking about PS3s or PS4s and screens I think Hotel Brinkers wouldn't fit anymore... maybe your long-living idea of renting a house might come true now.

I'd really like to meet you all again, especially the oldschool ones!

May I add: it'd be the 9th convention. The 7th one was in 2013. In 2014 we couldn't tag down a date to meet. And 2015 there wasn't even any attempt. So 2016 was the 8th one after all.

Hot Violet
5th April 2017, 09:45 PM
Count me in if I can find somewhere cheap enough to stay (I only have a part-time job!).

I've never been to Amsterdam. Anyone any suggestions for cheapo accommodation? I'm not fussy about anything other than cost - even sharing would be fine. :)

Mad-Ice
6th April 2017, 08:23 AM
@JFthebestJan: You just try harder ;)

@Sausehuhn: If it's only one night, it would be amazing to see you again.

@Hellfire_WZ: I am counting on you!

@Knux_Chaotix: Sell the tickets to Creamfields for more money ;)

@OBH: Happy to hear that. Please make sure to confirm your attendance 100%

@eLhabib: Happy, happy joy, joy, Renn & Stimpy style.

@AmigoJack: You just have to be there! We are the only two who have attended all the conventions. About the screens and the tournament set-up. I am working on a place right now. About the amout of conventions: I know there have been less then 9 conventions, but the number 10 stands for 10 years ago :) This will be the last one. Next year it will be a drone racing fpv convention ;)

Greetz Mad-Ice

stin
6th April 2017, 11:53 AM
You reckon asa might come? Do you want me to persuade him! time will tell.....

stevie :-)

AmigoJack
9th April 2017, 12:29 AM
So we're doing this Windows' style? Jumping from edition 8 straight to 10? ;)
Oh yes, it's a bit shocking we two are the only all-contenders - would have never thought so. Lots of things have happened since 2007. To all of us! I wonder how many people we'll be this year...

OBH
10th April 2017, 11:15 AM
Sorted. Booked time off work. Definitely in.

It's only taken me 9 years to say hello!..... oh my god I've been here 9 years? I've never been in a relationship for more than half that! :D

infoxicated
12th April 2017, 11:01 AM
10 years, eh? Pencil me in. :)

J.666
12th April 2017, 02:42 PM
Nice l will be there, dunno if l stay the whole weekend, depends on work. Will hop by either way :)

Cipher
14th April 2017, 11:18 AM
Put me on the maybe list, don't know yet where i'll be during that period ;-)

nu9get
14th April 2017, 02:06 PM
same, i could be there this year, but can't confirm now.

AmigoJack
15th April 2017, 08:24 AM
I'll stop this maybeism: YES, I'm coming definitly. I forgot many names, but it'd be awesome to see again the old ones like Rob, G'Kyl, angryHabib, das Huhn... ;) And I guess Hellfire would be the first time for me as well...? (unless I have a blackout on London 2013)

Mad-Ice
11th May 2017, 09:08 AM
Radio silence mode off ;)

Booked a room for 8 persons in the Hans Brinker Hostel in Amsterdam. €22,50 a person per night, inclusive: breakfast, sheets and towels, exclusive 5% tourist tax.

Booked for G'kyl, eLhabib, OBH, infoxicated, AmigoJack, Asayyeah and me. Still one bed free!

If you want to book a double yourself, this is possible untill coming monday. €73,- per night, inclusive: breakfast, sheets and towels, exclusive 5% tourist tax.

Hans Brinker Hostel
Kerkstraat 136-138
1017 GR Amsterdam
phone number: (0031) 20-6220687

The pilots who did not confirm their stay:

Stin, JFthebest Jan, Sausehuhn, Hellfire, Hot Violet, Cipher, nu9get.

Furthermore, I am working on a place where we can play PS4 Omega!

Greetz Mad-Ice

OBH
11th May 2017, 11:42 AM
I'm buzzing for this.

I shall make up for lack of practice with drinking. I'm sure that'll work :D

mdhay
11th May 2017, 03:30 PM
I wish I could go to this. Wouldn't get the money or passport in time. Could have brought several computers to play BallisticNG multiplayer on. :(

OBH
12th May 2017, 11:11 AM
Passports easy to get? Unless you're secretly on the run? :D

mdhay
12th May 2017, 04:07 PM
Hah! They're something like £76 to get, and employers are eating my CV while I'm on the lam from Student Finance England! :lol

Sausehuhn
15th May 2017, 02:42 AM
I’d only be staying for a night, so is there any (relatively) cheap way to do just that? And: Are you guys planning to play late into the night? Because I would want to get out the most of the short stay :D

AmigoJack
15th May 2017, 04:37 PM
Dude! There seems to be no escape from returning to Brinker - thought these times were over. Well, for 3 nights I think I'm able to survive it again (as for quality and prices Amsterdam hasn't changed in 10 years).

I'll come by train on Thursday and leave on Sunday, straight from Frankfurt. If anyone wants to join we can take the same trains. Judging from the past the overall arrival/meeting time is about 16:00 on Thursday, and leaving on Sunday about 12:00 - unless we have a more detailed setup. I'll bring my PSP with Pure and Pulse - that's more or less all I can carry or provide.

Mad-Ice
16th May 2017, 07:22 PM
I’d only be staying for a night, so is there any (relatively) cheap way to do just that? And: Are you guys planning to play late into the night? Because I would want to get out the most of the short stay :D

The cheapest way I know is Hans Brinker. I have not planned the tournament yet. It depands on the location I am working on. How do you want to get the most out of your short stay? Talk, drink and party combined with Wipeout!? Suggestions.....?

@Amigo: It's the most reasonable place I know. It's most important to see each other again.

nu9get
17th May 2017, 08:46 AM
i can't confirm now but i prolly wont be there cause of personal troubles... i'll try anyway and don't worry if i come i have some friends that hosts me, i am so sad for missing this year too =(

Mad-Ice
17th May 2017, 02:05 PM
Take care matey! I hope you can make after all.

stin
18th May 2017, 11:21 AM
put me down as definite cos, my wife decided not to go. l will bring my vita, psp but ps4?

Stevie :)

Mad-Ice
18th May 2017, 11:53 AM
So you are in Stin!! Whoohoo! Place reserved for you :)

AmigoJack
19th May 2017, 06:04 PM
Yikes - the return of the stin! :D

stin
20th May 2017, 01:02 PM
that's my flights booked for that week, Going to Amsterdam airport on Thursday after convention back home from Charles de Gaulle ;)

looking forward to this

Stevie: )

OBH
24th May 2017, 09:37 AM
Booking flights this weekend. This'll be good! :D

Mad-Ice
25th May 2017, 10:18 AM
Great to hear pilots are getting their flights and confirmation in.

I am currently in contact with Mediamarkt Amsterdam. They are interested to host our tournament. We are still in the process, nothing is confirmed yet! But they are willing to provide an area within the shop, eight 4K 43" or bigger, TV screens with internet connection. So we will need to bring eight PS4's with Wipeout Omega.

If this really is going to take place we are going to have a blast for sure. Please confirm if you are able to bring your PS4. We will need 8 PS4's.

I will bring mine for sure :)

Greetz Mad-Ice

hoipexn
25th May 2017, 08:26 PM
Great to hear pilots are getting their flights and confirmation in.

I am currently in contact with Mediamarkt Amsterdam. They are interested to host our tournament. We are still in the process, nothing is confirmed yet! But they are willing to provide an area within the shop, eight 4K 43" or bigger, TV screens with internet connection. So we will need to bring eight PS4's with Wipeout Omega.

If this really is going to take place we are going to have a blast for sure. Please confirm if you are able to bring your PS4. We will need 8 PS4's.

I will bring mine for sure :)

Greetz Mad-Ice

You should get in touch with PlayStation Benelux, they have PS4 Pro pods at the ready.
Probably trey'll preload them with WOC too.
I'll check if I still have their details, will PM if I do.

-hoipexn

Mad-Ice
28th May 2017, 07:13 PM
Hi hoipexn,

Thanks for the info! If Mediamarkt is not able to support us I am going to get in touch with Playstation Benelux.

Cheers

Temet
30th May 2017, 08:54 AM
Holly F...antom !!!

Will check soon with work to get there.
+ from Paris is a fast train, easy to come.

Will update you soon guys.
(do we really have to play? Drinking beers is not enough ? :D )

tug_14
31st May 2017, 11:42 AM
Yo Tem. Indeed, you are better in piloting pints of beer than of ship :beer

AmigoJack
31st May 2017, 01:42 PM
shipCrafts. Both beer and WipEout. :twisted

stin
31st May 2017, 07:22 PM
Just to let you know that l decided l am not going convention due personal reasons. (even l did paid my flights)

Sorry for the inconvenience.

AmigoJack
2nd June 2017, 05:55 AM
Too sad to hear you're cancelling, stin. It's now a long time since we've seen. :(

I've linked MAD our "greatest hits" from conventions over the years (2009, 2011, 2012, 2016) to impress MediaMarkt - hopefully they will only take a quick look and won't discover our insanity.

eLhabib
5th June 2017, 06:20 PM
Noooooooo Stevie! Why not?! Was looking forward to seeing you!

Mad: thank you very much for booking the hotel! I will be arriving on 25th afternoon (can't make it earlier, my dad's birthday is on 24th). Just one question: when do you think everyone will be leaving on sunday - just want to know what time I should take the flight home...

Excited! :hyper

Mad-Ice
7th June 2017, 06:20 AM
Hi guys,

Oh no Stevie! Nothing serious I hope?! I am praying for a miracle, so will will be there anyway.

@eLhabib: you welcome. Mostly people will leave on sunday after their hangover...ehh...lunch ;)

eLhabib
7th June 2017, 09:13 AM
Just booked my flights - I will be arriving on the 25th at 16:15 :hyper

Mad-Ice
7th June 2017, 10:02 PM
Can't wait man! Hyped up. Whoohoo.

eLhabib
8th June 2017, 01:00 PM
By the way - sorry if you mentioned that already and I missed it - are we bringing our PS4s?

Mad-Ice
8th June 2017, 03:27 PM
Hi eL, I am currently working on a place where we can organise our PS4 tourney. I hope we will only need to bring our PS4. I am trying to arrange all 4K screens for 8 players.

eLhabib
8th June 2017, 04:28 PM
That would be AMAZING.

AnErare
12th June 2017, 09:36 PM
Hi guys and especially Mad-Ice!

This sounds amazing as has been said just then :)

I really wish I could join in on this magical blast but sadly I can't get the time off work.. Would probably mean I could only go for a single day :/

I do wish all who will be attending the best of times. And since I've been fortunate enough to be able to go 3 times, to Here-u-go-weird, Frankfurt and Paris, I am sure that it will be :D

edit: almost forgot a mini convention in Amsterdam! So 4 times really ;)

Mickelockd
17th June 2017, 11:03 AM
Why I have responsabilities to deal with... hahahaha I would like to go and really close but university requests me

Mad-Ice
18th June 2017, 08:53 AM
Hi AnErare,

Yeah, those were the days :) it's unfortunate that you and Cat can not attend. We will miss you for sure. If you visit the Netherlands again, just let me know so we can meet each other.

Greetz Mad-Ice

- - - Updated - - -

@Mickelockd: if you ever have the possibility to meet Wipeout pilots, do it. It doesn't matter where they live or where you meet them, it's always superb to meet some one who is part of this awesome community :)

yeldar2097
19th June 2017, 09:20 AM
Consider me interested :)

blackwiggle
19th June 2017, 09:57 AM
WTF!
Where have you been?

Racingfan
19th June 2017, 12:46 PM
Welcome back yeldar :)

Temet
21st June 2017, 11:24 AM
Yeah, it would be very nice to see you Yeye, to check if you didn't forget your French ;)

AmigoJack
21st June 2017, 02:59 PM
Tickets have been booked: I'll arrive on Thursday, 2017-08-24 at 15:28 via train (Amsterdam Centraal) and will depart on Sunday, 2017-08-27 at 12:35 o'clock (train again). Anyone who'll be there around the same time? Will we all meet at Brinkers?

mannjon
22nd June 2017, 03:18 PM
Question for everyone: I want to do this for the US. Do you guys just meet up in a bar somewhere? Do you rent a conference center? What kind of logistics are proven winners?

I'll never be able to afford to leave work for a week so I'll never make a European event. That and it is expensive. But maybe with some help from you guys here I can start something in the US. Canada can come too!

AmigoJack
22nd June 2017, 05:04 PM
meet up in a bar
rent a conference center
2007 and 2008: hostel, PSP only.
2009, 2010 and 2012: hostel for PSP, one member's apartment for HD.
2011 and 2016: one member's apartment for PSP and HD.
2013: hostel for PSP, small bar for a PSP meet-up as well.
Personally I favor the home thing, as in hostels only you can rarily set up monitors and PS3s.

I can start something in the USThis is already planned (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?10161-) (you even replied to that thread) and already happened numerous times in the past (examples: 2012 (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?8792-) and 2010 (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?7394-)).

mannjon
23rd June 2017, 03:36 AM
Yes, and unfortunately it seems that we are all spread out across the continental US. Transportation here is a bit more of a problem. There also hasn't been a huge amount of interest like there seems to be in Europe.

The "already planned" event was just Hybrid Divide, JABBERJAW and myself talking about it. That was also over a year ago. The trip to Washington from the southeast would take a plane ticket, or a 2 day car trip. We don't have the luxury of being able to take a train to another country to meet up with fellow pilots. I'm looking to actually get some feedback on logistical planning from people that have done this before. Meeting online to play some races isn't really much of a convention.

2010 and 2012 (well possibly 2012, I can't remember now) were before my time on wipeoutzone, so I wasn't even aware that there was such a thing. Do you guys all live fairly geographically close?

AmigoJack
23rd June 2017, 06:01 PM
So far the following nations united:
AT = Austria
BE = Belgium
DE = Germany
ES = Spain (not that sure)
FR = France
GB = Great Britain
IT = Italy
NL = Netherlands
NO = Norway (I think, might be SE = Sweden though)
PL = Poland
US = US of A
Yes, those are all close together. A trip to London however should also be done by plane - at least I did. Using ferry and/or train will take half of the day. In the USA it'd be obvious to me to use a plane, and I'd wonder if you'd pay (much) more for those than we for the train - as an example: DE to NL costs roughly 50 € (currently ~56 $) in one of the cheap options for one way. This amount of money would be questionable to me at an age of ~18, but as of today this is definitly worth it.

Just force yourself to do it at least once, so you never have to ask yourself later the "what if" questions.

Temet
26th June 2017, 03:46 PM
Tickets have been booked: I'll arrive on Thursday, 2017-08-24 at 15:28 via train (Amsterdam Centraal) and will depart on Sunday, 2017-08-27 at 12:35 o'clock (train again). Anyone who'll be there around the same time? Will we all meet at Brinkers?

Hey AmigoFriend, I'll arrive at 15:42 and leave at 11:17.
If you can wait 15 minutes on Thursday so that I can be the first to jump on you :D ...

AmigoJack
26th June 2017, 06:40 PM
Ah, great. :) Either I'll wait at (my) platform 7b or you tell me yours (so you can even jump faster).

yeldar2097
29th June 2017, 12:04 PM
WTF!
Where have you been?

Trying to bring my wife over from the USA for the last 4 years.

Mission success. Now it's time to chill :beer ....and catch up with the gaming backlog!

infoxicated
30th June 2017, 11:58 AM
2007 and 2008: hostel, PSP only.

My memory is a little hazy but I remember the second year a guy turned up for the Saturday and he had a PS2 so we played Fusion projected on a bedroom wall.

Sausehuhn
30th June 2017, 07:18 PM
That was 2007! :beer

Rapier Racer
5th July 2017, 07:38 AM
Yeah I remember Fusion on the wall :D and also 2097 link up on 2 TV's in camp France if I'm not mistaken. NeGcons out.

Temet
18th July 2017, 12:58 PM
Ok Guys,
Serious and not fun talk :p
If you're not from Holland, I encourage you to ask for Europe Insurance Card.
It's free of charge (at least in France) and valid for 1 year.
If something not fun happens (... some of you remember for sure I talk from experience), you'll be a bit less deeper in the sh*t if you have it.

++

Temet

guillaume
21st July 2017, 09:05 AM
Noooo, that is why I should check the forums more often...
I would have loved to come, and probably could have, had I read this in April instead of a few days ago. :(

AmigoJack
21st July 2017, 06:51 PM
Europe Insurance CardSuch an EHICard (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Health_Insurance_Card) is spread since 2004 in European countries - I have my "default" insurance card definitly more than 10 years already and its backside has the EHIC design.

However, that still doesn't protect you from paying for a transport back to your home country. For those cases a travel health insurance (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_insurance) is still a good choice - there are vendors offering them for 6 € per year already and cover also things like cancelling a journey. Even if not the slightest thing happens that money is more than wisely spent.

I should check the forums more oftenDude, you're more than 2 years too late! Too bad. :( How about free beer if you still show up? *luring*

Sausehuhn
4th August 2017, 10:18 AM
Hey Mad – any update regarding the whole Media Markt thing? :)

And just because I lost track: Is there still an empty bed left in the room or should I get my own? Looks like I could indeed join for at least a night (26th/27th).

Mad-Ice
11th August 2017, 11:51 AM
Oh no Guillaume. Please do come. If you are not coming, I am going to get you personally :)

@Sausehuhn: There is a bed free for you, so no problem. About Mediamarkt; I was having contact with the activity bureau and we were almost set and done. Suddenly, I didn't get any replies on my emails and the phonenumber wasn't connected anymore. So I think, this guy at Mediamarkt found another job and didn't pass the agreement onto his collegues. Anyway, long story short. I was so much disappointed.

Now I am working on getting 8 screens in my house and I need some help from AmigoJack to set up the internet enviroment. Now the idea is: we all meet in Amsterdam on Thurday at the Hans Brinker in the afternoon around 17:00 go out to get some drinks, food and entertainment. Friday during the day we are going sightseeing and in the night we are going for a Pure/Pulse tourney at the Hans Brinker.
Saturdaymorning we are going by train to my house to set up the Wipeout Omega Collection PS4. After lunch we start the WOC tournament. In the evening we will have a BBQ and around 22:00 we are going back to Amsterdam.

Greetz Mad-Ice

- - - Updated - - -

I see some pilots reading this thread. There is still a bed free. You will have a great time entering the EWC. Feel free and be welcome :)

AmigoJack
11th August 2017, 02:57 PM
some help from AmigoJack to set up the internet enviromentNo problem. As for the hardware we'd need one or two routers or switches, so we can plug 8 cables into them. Which needs us to have 9 to 10 LAN cables in total. Of course, we could also try WiFi, but as you know from PSP that's not the most reliable thing. If network cables are a problem I can bring at least 3 (but we're able to buy them at any better store with PC stuff).

eLhabib
12th August 2017, 09:33 AM
I have a gigabit switch with 8 ports that I could bring, if it's any help...

Temet
15th August 2017, 10:46 PM
Same here, I have 8 ports GE switch.
I can bring PS4 too... but I don't have a small HDMI screen :(
I still have an old 1680x1050 with DVI port but not sure I still have the hdmi <-> dvi cable...
As for the cables, I can get some at work, as long as I bring them back.

Damn, Pulse and Pure... I don't even remember the tracks... it's been so long...

PS : if you still 1 PS1 and CRT screen at home, you know, see some WO2097 for fun... If I still can play this game :D

eLhabib
17th August 2017, 12:20 PM
Mad, could we get an update on the PS4 situation? Will we have screens? Do you need any extra cables? Who will/should bring their PS4? Thanks in advance :rock

Temet
18th August 2017, 11:32 AM
+1.
I already prepared some usefull stuff 10907

... I plan to bring my PS4... but tell us more info :)
I know we rely a lot on you... but that's also why we love you :D

Sausehuhn
19th August 2017, 12:56 PM
Same here. Because I’d join the group later on 26th, I need to know directions to your place, Mad, so i can book the correct bus tickets. Or should I come to Amsterdam directly and wait there for you guys? Please check your PMs, mate :)

Mad-Ice
20th August 2017, 10:41 AM
Gathering the screens, almost done. We only need the things AmigoJack mentioned. Who is able to bring these?

Replied and sent PM's. I will be waiting at Amsterdam CS on Thursday 24th at the meetingpoint around 15:30 for AmigoJack and Temet.

Everybody bring your PS4, psp or vita please!

See you all in the days to come :)

Greetz Mad-Ice

eLhabib
20th August 2017, 11:17 AM
As I mentioned, I will bring an 8-port gigabit switch (and my PS4, of course). Do we have 8 screens? And are they TVs or computer monitors? I could bring DVI adapters again, if we need them...

Mad-Ice
20th August 2017, 08:39 PM
Great eL, that you are bringing switch. Please bring two hdmi to dvi cables, just to be sure. I am almost having enough screens. Hopefully all at least 1080p.

eLhabib
21st August 2017, 09:27 AM
Will do. LAN cables as well?

AmigoJack
21st August 2017, 03:04 PM
Should I bring paper sheets again, to write down our times per track/game?
Should it have OMEGA on it as well? If yes: are the 10 tracks from 2048 also available in reverse direction?

Racingfan
21st August 2017, 06:35 PM
Theres no reversible tracks for 2048 which is very disappointing as sony advertised "26 reversible tracks" since announcement, and still do today, and its also included in the press kit manual that theres 26 reversible tracks :lol

AmigoJack
22nd August 2017, 03:42 PM
Ah, thanks for the pick up. :)
Sheets are ready and include the 2048 tracks as well, for 16 persons. Will bring ~3 network cables, an extension plug (to make one 1 cable out of 2), my PSP along with PURE and PULSE. Any audio jack converter needed for our headphones to fit into the screens?

Temet
22nd August 2017, 09:03 PM
@AJ : we will plug the headsets in the Dualshock, then you can make the sound of the game to go through it, no need of any converter.

@ALL : preparing my PSPs, I had a corruption on a memory card and I lost my WO3SE eboot :(. If any of you have it, please bring it with you and save an old sad wiper :(

PS : I'll bring several network cables, 8 ports switch, 2 PSPs (one must be connected to power, battery is dead), the PSVita, the PS4, DS4, HDMI cable... and maybe a little surprise I just prepared ;)

AmigoJack
22nd August 2017, 09:15 PM
maybe a little surprise I just preparedFood, I hope! :P

Mad-Ice
23rd August 2017, 06:25 AM
Goodmorning all,

Only one more night of sleep and then the madness will start again :)

@eL: please bring some LAN cables.
@racingfan: thanks for the heads-up for AmigoJack to be able to ready the awesome tournament sheets again.
@AmigoJack: I guess it's two sides now on the tournament sheet :)
@Temet: If everything is still there where you put it on my PC several years ago?! Then I will have your own copy of WO3SE for PSP. Surprise, mmm...I guess Macaron mjam, mjam.

About music: We all could mute the in game soundtrack and only have game sfx on. I have a great setlist playing on my PS3 which will be played through my soundsystem.

See you all very soon.

Temet
23rd August 2017, 02:46 PM
It was not food ... damn you guys, I have to find some sugar-full stuff for your stomacks now ! :D
I had this in mind, that this could still be on your PC or your PSP memory card.

AmigoJack
23rd August 2017, 03:16 PM
Let it be food nonetheless!! (*croissanting fingers*)

No, the sheets still fit everything on one side - you'll all be doome... no, wait... impressed. :) Since I have no deeper experience on 2048 (I think playing it at the hospital when visiting Temet was the only time) and none on OMEGA I just added one qualification box, the 10 tracks and space for times and positions - that will suffice.

My stuff is packed: 3 network cables plus one expander, PSP and games, netbook, photo camera, tournament sheets, headphones, and my brain (for setting up the network). Must I add that I didn't train any game? Again? But to kill time during the train ride I'll do some races - I want to be at least a nuisance when you guys pathetically try to overlap me. :rolleyes:

Mad-Ice
23rd August 2017, 08:51 PM
Gigahihi: it was not food :) but now it will be. Hilarious!!! I really hope you can find it on my pc. Checked my silver psp and it had Tekken and motorstorm on it. So the Wipeout files should be somewhere.

I love your tournament sheets :)

Great to hear everything is packed and you are ready to go. Training on the train is enough :)

See you all tomorrow.

Cipher
24th August 2017, 12:28 PM
Have a great time you all! :)
Don't forget to take pics! ^^

Mad-Ice
24th August 2017, 12:40 PM
Just take your car and drive. Only 3,5 hours mate. You know you are going to have fun again :)

DJ Techno
25th August 2017, 04:23 AM
y'all enjoy yourself... i tried to make a second euro trip and since then. not yet.

back here. Al spoke of restarting the American Tournament next year...

have fun... got to get back to dealing with undoing the stuff going on here.

Sausehuhn
25th August 2017, 12:12 PM
I’ll be there tomorrow (after)noon! Do you guys still need a PS4 with PSplus? Happy to see you all! :D

Mad-Ice
25th August 2017, 12:24 PM
@DjTechno: thanks! Great that Al is restarting the American Wipeout Convention.

@Sausehuhn: yeah, see you tomorrow :)! Please bring your PS4.

Racingfan
25th August 2017, 10:35 PM
if you dont want to pay for ps plus, you can create a new account, activate as a primary on your system and activate your free two day trial then switch back to your main account.
no CC required
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7RGmvdOdGs

Sausehuhn
26th August 2017, 08:09 AM
On my way! :rock

Temet
27th August 2017, 08:17 PM
I'm back home!
I thought it was 3 years since I didn't see my dear friends in speed, but I actually think it's 4! Such a mistake!
It was so nice to be back again in the beerWipEout team!
There were the 3 pillars Mad-Ice, AmigoJack and Asayyeah that I've seen in my past 4 conventions, but I could see again G'kyll and elHabib that I've seen only once in France, like 6 years ago. But still, you see, you hug, it's like it was yesterday (ok, like last week, to be more realistic :) ).

This year was the occasion for me to meet Sausehuhn and we had such a good fight on WipEout 2048!! That was really fun!!

Special Thanks to Mad-Ice and AmigoJack for always taking care of this event!!!! So much beer, laughs, fun, stories... and sometime a little of gaming (actually we played only Pure and 2048).
Love you guys! <3

Guys from the forum, make it even more fun the next time, join us!!

Sausehuhn
28th August 2017, 03:36 PM
Thanks for having us, Matthijs! I had a short but pleasant stay. It was great to see a few old faces again and meet new ones, and even though it was a small meet-up, I’m happy I could make it! Staying at Hans Brinker really brought back some ten year old memories from a time that felt so distant. Shame it really only worked out so many years later. And although I realize it’s becoming more of a friends’ gathering (which isn’t a bad thing!) I also realized why I got here at the first place: Playing the games was really so much fun and I’m hooked playing some more WipEout again.

Thanks so much! :)

Mad-Ice
29th August 2017, 10:21 AM
Hi to everyone,

The last few years my passion for Wipeout slowly disappeared. We have been racing the tracks of HD/Fury for 10 years, because they were already a remake of Pure and Pulse. The drive to set world records and share, almost daily, about every new possibility to go even further here at the zone, is long gone. This brings me back to the essence Wipeout is about: Friends in speed. During the years we have seen each other in real life, we got to know each other really well. We have so much incommon outside of the game. So every year, it became more and more about friendship and less about playing the game.

The reason why I named this thread: The final blast! I am organizing this convention since 2007, I discovered new hobby's like slotracing. In 2015, I attended the world championship in Igualada, Spain with a Dutch team. This was mostly the reason why the convention in 2015 did not take place. In 2016, I missed my Wipeout friends and together with AmigoJack, we decided, we had to organise it again. Last year I have dicovered a new hobby! Asayyeah introduced me to droneracing. We already were joking about organizing an European Drone Racing Convention. So new hobby's are pulling me away from Wipeout and they are making room for new experiences. So long story short: I thought it was time to say goodbye!

This years' convention was so much fun and you guys gave me true friendship and convinced me, I just can not stop organizing this amazing event! So next year: The not so final blast!! (like eLhabib said :) )
I got so much positive energy that I already have some new ideas for next year! I want to rent an appartment somewhere, where we have our own place! We shop together, cook together and where we can talk, drink and play untill the next morning.

What did we do this year: Thursday morning Asayyeah arrived at my place at 11:00 in the morning. He had been driving all the way from France during the night. So he had to sleep for a few hours before we would meet Temet and AmogoJack in Amsterdam. We arrived at 18:00 and we were talking and drinking all night that we even forgot to eat somewhere. This made me DNF for the first night ;)

The next morning I was the first to wake up at 7:00! So I went for breakfast and a shower feeling okay, luckely! After eveyone had woken up, we went into the city to do some shopping and getting lunch. Furthermore we walked, talked and relaxed the afternoon. Around 15:00 we played some Pure in Hans Brinker and G'Kyl arrived around 16:30 and shortly after eLhabib arrived too. After some beers we needed to get some food. We found a nice restaurant and we could sit outside. Asayyeah bought us a nice bottle of wine to celebrate his birthday. After more than two hours of eating and talking we finished the night by the most fighty and exciting Pure tourney ever!! I was leading from the start, winning 3 races, almost sure to win the alfa tour. But no, I was killed on Blue Ridge by three quakes and a rocket! Which gave Asayyeah the win. We continued and Asayyeah was respawning a few times on Karbonis where I was able to lap him twice, this had to go down in the history book of Wipeout :)
Our scores were very close and we even took the gold medal both on the gamma tour, if I remember correctly!? Then I got a DNF again because of all my best Wipeout friends turning against me ;)

Asayyeah was about to win the Pure tournament, even with a new world lap record 19:03 on Sebenco Climb with goteki-45, he got two auto-pilots with two turbo's. The only way to stop him from winning was to kill him too. Immediately in the next race I could plasma him into oblivion. Scores were even again.
The last two races Asayyeah got the upperhand and won the Pure tournament. Congrats to Asayyeah.

Saturday morning we had to get up very early to catch the train to my hometown. After a 50 minute train ride and a 5 minute walk, we arrived at my place. We had 7 screens, 5 PS4's and 2 PS1's. AmigoJack and eLhabib set up the internet enviroment and Temet and G'kyl joined me for some shopping for the BBQ.
At 15:00 I met Sausehuhn at the train station and the tourney of 2048 could start. This time I had an epic battle with eLhabib, even our qualification time was within a few hundreth of seconds. Every race we were battling. So exciting all the time. We know these tracks fairy well, but if you are playing next to each other, the tension is so big, you mess up your racing lines quite easy!! That's the best racing experience! In the end eLhabib won with 1 point difference in the 2048 tournament. Congrats to eLhabib.

After the 2048 tournament we had a BBQ in the backyard. We had some spare time after and finished around 21:30 so we had to pack our gear again to catch the 22:30 train back to Amsterdam. In the train we had a small onofficial Pulse tourney, unfortunately there was nobody to challenge me. That's why they made it unofficial ;)

To sum up everything: It was a Blast, not a final blast :)

Who is up for next year?

Love you guys!!
Greetz Mad-Ice

DIXI200
29th August 2017, 02:27 PM
:) Thank you for this story, congratulations on the organized event :clap

G'Kyl
29th August 2017, 05:29 PM
Here's what I think: The fact the conventions have become more about meeting all of you instead of playing WipEout is exactly the reason we need to keep them coming!

I've been neither on the Zone nor going to conventions in recent years - and last weekend really was an eye-opener about how much I missed doing so. Won't let that happen again! It was most wonderful seeing Asa, Mad-Ice, eLhabib, AmigoJack and Temet again and finally meeting Sausehuhn after all those years! [Had to look up WOZ nicks as they have by now become less common to me. ;)] Talking, being silly and competing with them makes for a most wonderful experience each and every time. And as I know from experience, this includes all who couldn't make it this time. Anyone who's never been or could not make it: You've got to be there at some point!

On topic: Competing in the small number of tournaments that we had meant a lot more fun than I expected! I won't go into detail about the unofficial Pulse tourney, which... apparently I had far less skill in that game than I remembered. I believe i didn't come in last just once. ;)

2048 was fun though, because Asa doesn't know the game very well and so ended up fighting me for first place each time we raced each other in division 2. All of our races had either one sack the Gold mere seconds in front of the other. I take no pride in being able to compete with Asa when he simply doesn't know the game well enough to do better - which I know he would otherwise. However it was the first time I ever remember having such a consistent battle with just one pilot, and that's what made it a ton of fun!

Plus, it wasn't the only competition we got ourselves into, as he had set up two NTSC PlayStation consoles running WipEout XL, my favorite to this day. Now, I played the shot out of 2097, but as far as I remember I had never touched XL, which indeed plays significantly different than the PAL game. So... we got both our asses into a Qirex each and fired them up in time trials at Talon's Reach. So, while I was getting in tune with the slightly different physics, Asa would be kind enough to not take any shortcuts. (He's usually taking shortcuts in a Piranha, mind you, which in some ways is a different game entirely.) End of story: We ended up setting new Qirex XL records - me logging one tenth of a second before his best race time, and him setting a new lap record one tenth of a second before me. That's WipEout, folks! :rock

Anyways, long story short: Huge thank you to everyone included in setting things up, bringing equipment and whatever else was needed!! It WAS a blast. And it WON'T be the last. Mad-Ice: I'm up! :-)

AmigoJack
6th September 2017, 07:24 PM
I'm back home again finally.

Yes, the group is getting smaller and smaller - this time we were 6.25 people (4 in one night, 6 in the next night, and 7 in the last night).
Yes, being prepared for playing becomes less and less mandatory - i.e. I was entirely new to 2048 but highly enjoyed playing it against two other contenders - even shot one off the track.
Yes, we all move on with our life - drone racing already looked promising ~2 years ago in a dark environment with colored lights for the paths, so I might even put my hands on a drone myself.
Yes, wipEout is getting old (1995 and counting), but with every convention we're free to play whatever we want - by chance eLhabib let me play Sonic Mania, which I fell in love with instantly and could have played it the whole night - one more reason to me to buy a PS4.

Now Mad-Ice is (along with me) the one having joined every convention - I always enjoy meeting him again, even if that means his positive energy sends him to bed early. :P Temet again brought me chocolate, which tastes as great as the same package 4 years ago - I'm still glad to see him fully recovered. Asayyeah was a big surprise I was totally unprepared for - after such a long time I haven't expected him to ever join again, but now I know why he couldn't. Glad he could still enjoy celebrating his birthday with us, including the sinister me. ;) Great to see both eLhabib and G'Kyl again, which disappeared for even longer. Again this convention was shadowed by bad luck to one of us, but I hope everything turned out okay to even good for G'Kyl. And finally Sausehuhn was the one being "lost" for the longest time and seeing him again brought back memories of the first convention.

I expected a worse experience at Hans Brinker, but then it turned out quite okay for its standards (beds, hygiene, beer, breakfast, atmosphere) - I'm just getting a bit too old for this and had trouble with sleeping, plus catching a cold. Brings back memories to LAN parties decades ago where all this was no problem. Next time I'll put on more clothes, and thanks to eLhabib I'm less afraid of Indian restaurants - the Yeti tasted good and so did the drink. The barbecue just felt like 5 years ago - that's one big advantage of being at Mad-Ice's home!

Was a great convention. Would join again. As usual. :lol

Oh, one last thing: can everybody give me a halfway reliable contact? I know, having a mobile would make things easier. I just mean: sending private messages to members here aboard gives only mixed results. And if there is remotely a meeting again, we should be able to know it. That's why a contact that won't change in the near future would be great - anything works: e-mail address, ICQ, IRC, Jabber, phone number, post address... Mobile-only networks like WhatsApp are a challenge to me, tho.

eLhabib
11th September 2017, 11:19 AM
So, I just came home from an extended vacation (Amsterdam was only the beginning ;)) and now I'm trying to get myself sorted for working life again *sadface.
The Convention was absolutely wonderful for me, so good to see you all again. There are just some people in this world which you can meet for the first time after many years and it feels like you just met them a week ago. That instant connection and friendship is very special and I thank you all for it. Special thanks to Mad-Ice for making this all happen again and for being such a wonderful host!
The tournaments were fun (even Pulse where I DNFed like 12 times I think) and the battle between Mad and me on 2048 was epic to say the least - also proving that the best man doesn't always win ;)
But even more than playing wipEout I enjoyed spending time with you guys, chatting, drinking, eating and wandering around. Too bad you couldn't join Ben and me on our little boat trip on Sunday, that was beatiful and relaxing as well. I definitely have to visit Amsterdam more often as well...
Anyway, as I said before, this will definitely not have been the last convention, even if the next one is just meeting somewhere to drink and chat, I would be totally fine with that!
Love to you all and see you soon on the tracks or IRL!
cheers,
eL

Cipher
14th September 2017, 08:58 PM
Just take your car and drive. Only 3,5 hours mate. You know you are going to have fun again :)

I did actually think of stopping by on saturday, but family stuff got in the way, glad to hear you're not giving up on it though, last year was great and would definitely enjoy attending another, good to hear you all had a great time!! Kinda bummed i didn't make it now, maybe next year?! :p

docfo4r
17th September 2017, 10:01 AM
Damn I noticed this thread too late. I did read all your summaries and it sounded like lots of fun. I was already interested in such an event when I first got into this forum and noticed how you all are like family with each other. Having fun, being respectful, joking around... WZ is really a great place to chill :)
I already met zero3growlithe multiple times and a great friendship resulted.
So I am in for sure for the 2018's WipEout convention! I am making extra sure to save some holidays for it :)

AmigoJack
26th September 2017, 02:05 PM
I am making extra sure to save some holidays for it :)I promise it's worth the investment - it has also always been a joy to see how the others perform, which is really different to just seeing a video capture of their screen. :) Looking forward to 2018 to see old and new faces!