PDA

View Full Version : Main site back up after short down time

infoxicated
3rd November 2016, 05:40 PM
Which is technically accurate... kind of... in fact, in archaeological terms the 4.5 years that the main site has been offline has passed... well, practically instantaneously.

But I can see how folk might have got bored waiting.

Sorry about that.

Anyway, consider this a beta relaunch of the main site.

The registration/login/admin side of it is still to come and there might also be a few issues.

Oh, I know for a fact that if you're on mobile device with a short vertical screen then the bottom items in the navigation won't be available.

I'll fix that... until then just turn the screen. That should work. :)

I also just realised that you can't click back to the main site from the banner. I will fix that too.

Xpand
3rd November 2016, 08:35 PM
Man, nostalgia hit hard when I saw it! Congratulations and thank you for your efforts.

Rapier Racer
3rd November 2016, 08:41 PM
Thanks foxy, always loved the various Wipeout in action pictures, that took me back :)

Xpand
3rd November 2016, 08:43 PM
On a side note, looking at the news page, the time gap is obvious. We can call it the "dark ages" (no historical records) haha

Hybrid Divide
3rd November 2016, 09:49 PM
Didn't expect to see this today!

Well done, Foxy! Glad to see this back up! :D

EDIT: Actually, Foxy. Somewhere on my computer is my old wallpaper I submitted (As Vagrant Logic, of course) for the first anniversary contest waaaay back when. It's not great by even my own modern standards, but it'd be good to put up for completeness' sake!

Where can I send/post it to get it up there in the DL section? :)

JABBERJAW
3rd November 2016, 10:08 PM
Where do I find it?

Awesome btw Thanks!

infoxicated
3rd November 2016, 11:34 PM
Just go to the site root, Al: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/

Hybrid Logic, if you just attach it to a post I'll get it added to the downloads section.

It kind of struck me today how retro/old fashioned the site is. The whole structure of it just betrays that it's a fan site from the Y2K!

I don't know where I thought I was going with it at the time - I just knew I wanted to build something because I loved WipEout 3SE so much. :)

Oh, also, I'm aware that on certain tablets there's a weird border round the banner image. I'll fix that tomorrow.

JABBERJAW
4th November 2016, 12:15 AM
Thanks!

stin
4th November 2016, 02:58 PM
omg! my heart just missed a beat! Now, just too excited... don't know what to say but thank you foxy.:clap

stevie:blarg

infoxicated
4th November 2016, 03:46 PM
Easy tiger! ;)

Right, that's the mobile navigation working a bit better and a link back to the main site now in the forum navigation bar.

Can't get rid of the orange bleed-through around the main site banner image that's appearing on some tablets.

I reckon it's due to the willy waving animation I've done there. I could remove it, but I like it.

Task
4th November 2016, 04:42 PM
It's Alive!

Very cool, nice redesign Foxy.

Sausehuhn
4th November 2016, 04:54 PM
And I was like — whaaat? :D

Ah, feels like home again :)

infoxicated
4th November 2016, 05:38 PM
Ha ha! That was why I went for a subtle refresh. I have accidentally uploaded the page header with the link to My WipEoutZone in it and now I am away from the computer. Rats. Nobody click on that. Bad things will ensue!

keg_11
4th November 2016, 10:51 PM
Hey Foxx,

Did u want to add Wipeout Central to the links page? The wiki is a lot better now than it was 5.5 years ago :)

Hybrid Divide
5th November 2016, 06:53 AM
Here it is, Foxy! My WZ First Anniversary Wallpaper entry (As Vagrant Logic).
Honestly, I think Wamdue always had my vote for this contest. :D10461

infoxicated
5th November 2016, 11:01 AM
That attachment doesn't work for some reason.

Cipher
5th November 2016, 07:21 PM
Looks great Fox! :)

The new layout at the top left does keep messing with my brain though haha :D (Having what's new on the right, instead of left, will take some time to adapt :p )

For the records page, would it be a lot of work to add an extra filter for speed classes?

Hybrid Divide
5th November 2016, 10:12 PM
Odd. Let me try it again.

There we go! :D

rdmx
6th November 2016, 11:02 AM
♪Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy~ ♪

infoxicated
6th November 2016, 06:26 PM
For the records page, would it be a lot of work to add an extra filter for speed classes?
I actually had a class filter in at one point, but the problem was that not all games have all the classes, which meant updating the tracks, teams and class selectors each time you changed the game.

I decided the responsiveness of the interface was more important than filtering by class.

DIXI200
7th November 2016, 08:29 AM
Congratulations great job :rock

vincoof
7th November 2016, 08:40 AM
Since the site has been hacked, every time I went to wipeoutzone.com I was redirected to the forums. For the first time in years, when I went to wipeoutzone.com this morning I had the pleasant surprise of seeing the actual website instead of the forums. Thank you Rob, you definitely made my day.

infoxicated
7th November 2016, 10:05 AM
You're welcome. :)

I could have moved the forum to the site root but decided I'd just put in a "temporary" redirect so it wouldn't mess with any bookmarks or search engine rankings. Made it easier to switch back as well.

vincoof
7th November 2016, 12:01 PM
And you have done well :) I always came to wipeoutzone.com and not wipeoutzone.com/forum because I knew things would be fixed someday. Why would I do that? Well, I guess I was a believer —and still am.

I don’t mean to nitpick (says the nitpicker), but you wrote that the site went offline “February 2011 to be exact” and AFAIK the site was hacked on February 2012 (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?8633-2012-02-11-Hacking-attack-on-WipEoutZone). Oh, and I’m glad you and I have the same definition of “short down time” :)

Hybrid Divide
7th November 2016, 08:29 PM
You're welcome. :)

I could have moved the forum to the site root but decided I'd just put in a "temporary" redirect so it wouldn't mess with any bookmarks or search engine rankings. Made it easier to switch back as well.

Good call, Foxy. I admit I got a little teary-eyed when that showed up again. :)

infoxicated
8th November 2016, 08:05 AM
I don’t mean to nitpick (says the nitpicker), but you wrote that the site went offline “February 2011 to be exact” and AFAIK the site was hacked on February 2012 (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?8633-2012-02-11-Hacking-attack-on-WipEoutZone). Oh, and I’m glad you and I have the same definition of “short down time” :)
Yeah, it was - I put the wrong time frame in the first post here as well, but when I realised I wasn't near a computer and although it's easy to edit the forum posts the main site does not have a CMS so I have to go into the DB to do it. I'll change it there too. :)

MrSmadSmartAlex
8th November 2016, 08:02 PM
Thanks for this, great seeing it all again! :)

stinkleroy
8th November 2016, 08:02 PM
Wow it's really been down that long? Thanks for bringing it back Rob, it warms my heart

AGSys
9th November 2016, 10:27 AM
Wow, what a huge surprise! Even though I used to lurk a bit, I registered/became active right about the time it all went awry. And then now, after like more than 4 and a half years, visiting the main site gave me such a burst of nostalgia. Great work getting it back up and running! :D

Darkdrium777
19th November 2016, 10:59 PM
I'm late to this news, since well, I had the forums bookmarked and not the main website anymore (Can you blame me?)

Anyways, it looks pretty fresh and great. Sure it's basic in most of its presentation, but IMO that's what makes it fast and good in the first place.

Thank you for still working on it.

vincoof
16th December 2016, 09:45 AM
When I visited the main site today, it froze my Firefox window. I’m just talking about the main site (www.wipeoutzone.com), not other pages (records, …). Killed Firefox, opened the site again. Ditto.

It doesn’t happen with Chrome. The forums are fine. Everything was fine with Firefox last time I visited (a few days ago). I haven’t updated Firefox in the past few days.

My guess is there’s new code (Javascript or something) that Firefox doesn’t like. Have you made any recent additions that might harm Firefox ?

infoxicated
16th December 2016, 12:54 PM
There's no new code on my part since I pushed it live. Yesterday I noticed an error on the stats page where the button wraps below the select and it shouldn't, so I was planning to fix that, but I won't be doing anything until the holidays.

The animation in the header is done with CSS, so it's not like I'm running any scripts that would gobble up memory, but the Google Ads are probably running some kind of script and I notice that the adverts aren't showing on Windows Firefox.

Doesn't crash the browser for me on either Windows or an iMac, so it's weird that it's happening to you.

Cipher
16th December 2016, 01:00 PM
As a heads up, that google ad doesn't show up on Safari (v9.1.3) either anymore (it used to though), so might indeed be a problem there (no crashes though, just blank ad)

Aaalso, unrelated to that, i've been exchanging PMs with a couple people on here, sometimes they get really lengthy and i'm being signed out automatically (15 mins), which is fine, but when i go to submit the message and it requests me to enter credentials , the page it redirects me to is blank (it's supposed to still send the message after i signed in, but it must lose track of it somewhere i guess), this also happens with lengthy posts which took your longer than 15mins to write
I've learned from my mistakes and just copy the whole message before i hit submit nowadays, but it is still presumably unintended behaviour, so figured i might let you know (it's not high priority, not for me anyway)

infoxicated
16th December 2016, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I don't really care about the Google ad any more. The code is super out of date so it might be an issue too. I'll fix it.

I've set the session timeout to 30 minutes - hope that helps. :)

vincoof
16th December 2016, 02:19 PM
Updated my Firefox from 48.0 to 50.1.0 and it works like a charm. Go Figure. Why it stopped working is a mystery to me but who cares. Thanks for your help.