PDA

View Full Version : 10 things i hate about wipeout fusion

TsorT
25th August 2003, 07:00 PM
topics name is derived from that movie :wink: .
Anyway i want to know does anybody has seen the bad side of the game
. basicly only good thing in the game is graphics , but i have discovered huge amount of bugs as well
my question is has anyone ave betatesting it first , or was it rushed to the market without trying to find any bugs in the game ?

Lance
25th August 2003, 07:44 PM
hi, TsorT, welcome to the forums.

about Fusion, yes, you will find a lot of people here have found bugs in Fusion. the general opinion seems to be that the only really good things about it are zone mode and the graphics. the bugs tend to dampen the fun on the rest of it

there is a lot of love here for all the earlier games in the series, though. :D

Roger
25th August 2003, 08:09 PM
Hi, Tsor - or rather "tere tulemast!" :P

I've nothing to say about Fusion, neither good nor bad - since I don't own a PS2. But I've gotten the impression that it's not that good. Hope there will be a Wipeout Fission (hmm...) some day soon...

Me, I race WO3 and WO3SE 8)

TsorT
25th August 2003, 09:54 PM
i'm not the only estonian here ?
whoaaa respect :)
tell u the truth i own ps2 because the wipeout fusion it was first game i bought to ps2
and generally i am satisified with my purchase
soundtrack especcially papua new guinea and amethysts blue funk on it
but thoseflying through walls and flying till the layout ends that suxx
and ofcourse if i fall of the track and then respawn , the game thinks that i must race one extra lap , thatwhy i fall from the first position to 16nth
masendav
but i still play

respect :))

AmishRobot
26th August 2003, 08:37 AM
The soundtrack is one of the true highlights of that game. There are a couple not-so-good tracks (and the music on the menu screens makes me homicidal), but wow, there is some great stuff on there. Sadly, ever since I sold off the game I've been trying to find a copy of that Amethyst song (both legitmately and otherwise), but to no avail. Bummer.

Roger
26th August 2003, 09:50 AM
i'm not the only estonian here ?
Naah, I'm just showing off my very limited knowledge of "eesti keel". I'm from Finland (swedish speaking).

My advice: if you come across Wipeout 3 Special edition, buy it! If nothing else, the music rules!

zargz
26th August 2003, 09:59 AM
the greatest wo game of All! (^_-)b
and welcome to the forums TsorT! (^.^)/

Asche XL
26th August 2003, 04:54 PM
I think Wipeout Fusion is one of the worst games of all time.

Shame since Wipeout XL is one of the best.

Bob Todd
28th August 2003, 01:33 PM
Why I thought Fusion sucked (as a WipEout, not necessarily as a game):

- No wuss wagon.
- No checkpoints. Where're the adrenalin-pumping moments when you're thinking 'oh f*ck, amigonnamakeit amigonnamakeit, oh f*ck oh f*ck oh f*ck'?
- GT instead of DR (no Angryman, Luck-Ees cat, etc.).
- No jukebox mode (being able to listen to the music tracks from within the menus).
- No proximity indicator (one of my favourite things about Wip3out).
- No customisation of controls, just some stupid presets.
- Stupid cheats.
- Too many bugs.
- Plasma Bolt looks wussy and has no power-up noise.
- Pit Lane too trippy - needs to have frying bolts of electricity and recharging noise.
- No Tim Wright and NO CHEMICAL BROTHERS!
- No Force Wall, Cloak or Reflector.
- Ships look like tanks or Star Wars vehicles - not nearly streamlined enough.

Personally, I really don't like that Amethyst track. I love the Bob Brazil one though - I wish it wasn't game-exclusive.

TsorT
30th August 2003, 05:06 AM
i have ALL Wipeous (including wip3out and wip3out SE)
exept the WO64
"and god gave us AG-racing"

Pyroannarchy is absolutley right , pitlane suxx because the slowdown
tracklist does not include any drum'n'bass music
no replays
but what i like is , all the ships have 4 skins
a lot of tracks (to bad that u cant play those one on one challenge tracks )
intro FMW is not understandable
and NO CURLY damn bitches
do u think guys : could the game be better if psygnosis had done WF ?

Bob Todd
30th August 2003, 02:45 PM
Psygnosis did do WF, just not under the name 'Psygnosis'. They are now SCEE Studios Liverpool and Leeds.

No replays! Damn, I forgot that.

I quite like Fusion's intro FMV, but I still think the original WipEout's one is the best. Imagine seeing that in 1995 after booting up your PlayStation for the very first time - the graphics in that would have been mindblowing! It's a very good FMV even by today's standards.

I agree that it's a shame you can't play Devilia except in the 1:1 challenges - it ought to be unlocked as a bonus thing when you beat the game.

I think we have different ideas as to what drum 'n' bass is, though - The Third Sequence by Photek is the only drum 'n' bass track (as I understand the definition) ever to have appeared in a WipEout game, and it didn't work very well.

No vector, venom, rapier and phantom too! That sucks!

TsorT
30th August 2003, 10:14 PM
about drum'n'bass photek is makinng those darkstep sounds but what about ed rush optical , j majik , matrix , panacea , technical itch (the rukus or the rising for example
photek does that slow and dark style
but there is faster version of dnb :P
like psygnosis hit Rollcage stage 2 had
i understand if they cant get any agreements with the rec.labels
well lets hope for the best

shadow
3rd September 2003, 01:37 AM
I agree that the only good thing about Fusion is the graphics!

The Music is **** compared to the others ( Wipeout 3 n SE have best music (SAME))
Where the hell is Assegai??? and Icarus???
Tracks arent newhere as good as ther other wipeouts
Doesnt seem as fast ie: where is the classes rapier & phantom???? hehe & the other 2
And everything else that the others mentioned i guess are all valid (the bad points)

rodwipE
15th September 2003, 01:37 PM
That bloody gravity bomb is my biggest hate. It totally ruins the whole trance thing.
I also miss Designers Republic, more so in Fusion than wipEout 64.
The craft don't look particularly aerodynamic either. They look more like a collection of flying tin openers and garbage cans.

TsorT
27th September 2003, 01:43 AM
the best shipdesigns where in 2097/xl games
, well detailed and stuff too bad that there where only 5 AG crafts
only well designed craft in Wipeout Fusion is Feisar
G--tech is a crushad can
van uber is a flying carcass
auricom is a loads of bricks
E-GR looks like a flat fish (upgraded skin) or dogs head (nonupgraded skin)
tigron is somekind og russian old MIG without wings
and xios looks like a fork (upgraded ) or a tear(nonupgraded)
yyyyakkkk

Piranhas superweapon is Bullcrap because if it hits something then u cant see a thing

rodwipE
27th September 2003, 09:16 PM
And why does the controller vibrate when you let off a quake? It shoots off in front, but your own ship feels like it's about to explode.
And what's with the autopilot that sends you face first into the nearest wall? It defeats the pupose of having an autopilot if it doesn't actually autopilot.
Missiles that spin you round facing the other direction. Bombs that stop you dead still for a few seconds. What did they fuse this game with - Twisted Metal?

And then there's the controller configuration. Where's the classic wipEout. I want fire weapon on the 0 dammit!

As for the silly looking pilots. I thought it was supposed to be me piloting the Auricom, but now I've gotta pretend that I'm some guy out of the Village people with a big moustache.

I could go on.

Auricom2097
29th September 2003, 01:45 AM
^ :lol Yup the game is full of bugs,and is useless:

Thruster2097
2nd October 2003, 09:17 AM
refering to that "Missiles that spin you round facing the other direction" comment, Im a big fan of that, and to be honest I feel it should be enhanced further. Look at the com opponents from the previous games. You hit them with a rocket, they will spin, flip and roll end-over-end. You get hit with a rocket, you just shudder and lose some speed.
It should be the same for every ship on track.
And I like the com ability to fire quakes now and use all the available weapons. Without going into tech.jarg. it just makes it fairer.
The time when youre on the grid and waitimg for the "go" signal really adds a sense of purpouse to the race, but not being able to qualify to gain grid position is a bit of a let down.

Fusion aint perfect, but we have to look at whats good and try and build from it, dont we?

jmoid
3rd October 2003, 10:08 AM
Very true. I'd like to see EG-R and Xios in the next version, and backwards quake, grenades + loop/flip tracks I like too.

zaarock
7th November 2003, 02:58 PM
well comparing to other wipeouts:

1. goddammit the ships dont go up and down again and dont react when hit a wall the ships are like friggin bricks

2. THE MUSIC why is the beutifully good electronica gone? WHYYYYY... the fusion music doesent fit to the game in my opinion

3. lack of the feeling of speed. I just cant feel the speed in fusion you can really feel it in like wipeout3 it is very annoying i love the feeling

4. still getting tired of the no bouncing thing.. like in catmoda 3 if the ship would move like in wipeout3,se it would be pretty awesome

5.damn i havent played fusion for half a year! i cant remember anything. :/

tyltyI
7th November 2003, 06:29 PM
Just my 2 cents.

- Bugs: it's f***ing annoying to always fly outside the track
- Soundtrack: not a single music I like, no style. Should have been a mix of W2097 and W3
- Hit detection: I hate to spin around 180° and then stop when I just brush one of those barrier posts
- Stupid ship design. Feisar is always good, maybe just a bit too short. Van Uber is ridiculous, Auricom the same, Tigron looks like a torpedo, Xios is a weird box. They don't look cool anymore. I thought in the future they had cool and streamlined ships with wings, but no.
- No "spirit": WoF lost all the spirit of the series. It just doesn't look cool, menus are ugly, music menu is dull, and the pilot faces are too stupid. I thought that (like the ships) Wipeout pilots looked cool, not superdeformed comic characters :( Comeon, Roberto Sergio looks nice but probably is good for another game. I want realistic faces, not these :(
Wipeout 2097 was flashy and cool with pumped soundtrack, Wip3out was somewhat more "sad" with dull colors and weird tracks like Xpander. Fusion is...what? Somewhat comic? Not an understandable style IMHO.
- Ship upgrades: whats the point of upgrading the ships? The CPU gets better in proportion, so nothing really changes, but still Wipeout has always been about pro and cons. I don't want to upgrade the ships, that's why I still have all the money and the ships are still the same as default. And also as I said it's no more about pro and cons, compare the stats from Feisar and Piranha...that makes all unbalanced :(
- Stupid challenges: survival challenges are so stupid and easy that make me sad, and I wonder why they put them in
- Bad variety of circuits: I wish there were more circuits, maybe from older episodes and less variations of them, too many alternatives of the same tracks.
- Too many weapons: I liked Wip3out because of the strange idea of making very few attacking weapons. IMHO it made the game less of a war and more difficult to catch the opponents. In WoF there are many stupid weapons, too many...and useless. Flamethrower? Protonic cannon? Supermissles? Biotrap? Bah....
Weapons like the gravstinger and gravity bomb (as someone else said) just ruin the game and the feeling of speed.
- No choice of class: many leagues, difficult raises, but classes were better IMHO.
- No checkpoints: less thrill, less adrenalin pump :(
- Too easy: I beat the game so easily, compared to how much time it took me to beat 2097 and W3.

Bob Todd
12th December 2003, 03:33 PM
Does anyone else think it's silly that Tigron's logo is a flame and their slogan is 'Burn, Baby, Burn', but their super-weapon is an icy thing?

infoxicated
12th December 2003, 06:52 PM
I don't really think Rob Francis was going for consistancy, Anna - I think he was just going for as many weapons as he could possibly get in the game! ;)

Although, to be honest, I hadn't really spotted that one before. I guess there must be lots of howlers in there. :)

Essell
16th December 2003, 04:04 PM
every single change in wipeout fusion was for the worse, and went completely against the very concepts that set wipeout a league above the rest.

it turned into yet another generically designed bog standard shitty f-zero pod racer clone. the racing isn't nearly as technical with the stupid wide tracks, the ships no longer steer but slide, the stylisation and graphic design is bloody awful, half the music is lifeless and dull, the in game menu systems are badly designed beyond belief [unreadable text, only being able to see one option at a time]...

i could go on. wipeout fusion is a bloody disgrace to the name.

[...and hi everyone, i haven't been here for ages :) i just rebought fusion to give it another go, and ended up just as riled up about it as last time...]

gucci_little_piggy
5th January 2004, 04:49 AM
fusion has soooo many faults

the bugs are really bad
no qualifying
no race classes(!)
no AG sys
all the ships are crap
some of the weapons are stupidly powerful (like the green cloud thing or the gravity bomb)
you stop too much
steering is wierd
its not cool anymore, its "funny"
but the biggest thing i think is speed. all the other games were really fast and rough. you had such a massive sense of speed and you could really feel your brain working. fusion lacks this insane feeling which to me is the integeral part of wipeout racing. i think fusion was a blip.

Dogg Thang
7th January 2004, 06:30 PM
Okay I agree with most people's complaints about Fusion here as I think it was a bit of a disaster in many ways but I'm going to butt in here to stick up for one of the things complained about - lack of checkpoints.

Checkpoints are possibly one of the most contrived 'gameplay' obstacles ever conceived in racing games. Their origins are easily traced to the arcade where they were a convenient way of making sure that people didn't stay all day on their 10c or whatever it cost at the time. That is not something which should affect a console racer. No, checkpoints were introduced in Wipeout 2097 (XL) because of one major flaw in the game (I know everyone loves it and I do too but hear me out) - The AI in WOXL does not in any way act like other racers. The other craft simply zoom up to their relative positions and slow down to make sure that they are well spaced during the race. This was apparently because some people complained about being alone on the track for a lot of the original Wipeout. Whatever the reason, the result was that your opponents do not in any way feel like opponents. In fact they are like checkpoints themselves. I'm sure, like me, most people who play it will know whether they have a chance of winning the race depending on what position they are in on a particular lap.

That is not like real racing. So effectively WOXL became a time trial game with enemy craft as obstacles rather than opponents. The reslut of this is that the race felt like one large challenge (to get first) rather than a series of smaller ones (overtaking and constant jostling for position in GT for example). So the devs needed to introduce smaller goals to break it up - and the Wipeout checkpoints were born.

A contrived solution to a gameplay flaw in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love XL and like the time trial feel especially over the Fusion fight thing but I don't think checkpoints really added anything. They simply made learning tracks at the beginning a bit of a trial and error memory test. Rather than trying to get better at a particular track, you had to learn the next section of track.

Besides, where's the logic? Why doesn't every craft behind you who couldn't have made the checkpoint get booted off?

Dogg.

infoxicated
7th January 2004, 06:58 PM
I agree with you 100% Dogg Thang - checkpoints are the lame 1980's racing game method of making people spend more money. They have no place on a console game.

I feel that in Wipeout 3 they simply made the game frustrating when you were a novice, and when you got even half decent they became irrelevant. Wasted code, I'm afraid... although it was a nifty sound effect when you cross them. ;)

FoxZero
7th January 2004, 08:02 PM
good point dogg about checkpoints.i have noticed the ai in all 3 games has acted just like that too, speed up until designated points, then travel at position-relative speeds.

lunar
7th January 2004, 09:30 PM
Checkpoints are irrelevant once you learn the course, but they could have had a useful purpose in wipeout 3 and fusion, and could yet in the next Wipeout, if you had to actually pass through the checkpoint beam, and if the computer remembered whether you had done so. This could stop people finding glitch shortcuts and respawns. You wouldn`t have to be timed through the checkpoints, you would just have to go through them in the right order, so, for example, if you come to cp10 having missed cp9, you`ve shortcutted and its ..... contender disqualified. If the checkpoints were put in the right places on the track, this sort of system could easily stop shortcutting and respawn cheats.

Lance
8th January 2004, 01:15 AM
very good point

science
9th January 2004, 02:50 PM
checkpoints potentially have a place in racing games. there is no need for them to end the game if you dont make them in time (for the reasons mentioned above), but if they functioned more like racing sims' checkpoints do (ie, gave you in seconds how far ahead or behind first place you are, and maybe even how far off from your best time you are) it would be pretty cool. it would probably be best to include an option to turn it off though, as some people would just see it as an onscreen distraction. as much as i like to see that I've made a perfect lap, sometimes i wish it would come up for a split second and then just go the hell away. I can imagine checkpoint times being the same way.

Lance
9th January 2004, 03:57 PM
i've too often crashed when the perfect lap text came on screen. luckily it doesn't show up very often

Unsortient
19th March 2004, 01:28 AM
So is the wip3out SE soundtrack different than the regular wip3out soundtrack? I liked about 2 tracks on that one. While on the XL ost i liked pretty much everything. The Euro saturn version had alot of tracks from cold storage that were pretty decent. The saturn version of wipeout 2097 is actually very good and actually leaves the craft on the stage after it blows up. (The carcas of it.) I couldnt really get into the n64 version for some reason. It was a bit off. You know what i mean?

I havent posted here in a long time but this is the only western game i actually like besides worms. Usually i only play japanese games. I would say wipeout and ridge racer are the only reasons to own a ps2 in my book.

p.s. has anyone heard of Mijk Van Dijk in here? :o

Asayyeah
20th March 2004, 11:05 PM
i've too often crashed when the perfect lap text came on screen. luckily it doesn't show up very often
Very true Lance. The worst track to have PL text in front of your eyes is Valparaiso and Odessa Keys on XL, for me...

So is the wip3out SE soundtrack different than the regular wip3out soundtrack?
I am quite sure it's the same soundtracks ( it's not a long time i ve own SE)
About Mijk Van Dijk i am not sure, i know Paul Van Dyk a very nice DJ; probably not the same one...

RJ O'Connell
23rd March 2004, 01:33 AM
Revised List of things I hate about Wipeout Fusion:

1: The most obvious and widely hated flaw, the downforcey handling.
2: It certainly doesn't feel as fast as the original trilogy at any level except Phanto - oh, wait...
3: The deletion of speed classes in favour of a trend-riding upgrade system.
4: Re-tooling of the mines so that they can be dropped one at a time instead of five simultaneously, which is just silly.
5: The gravity bomb bug, which, if you're in range and ahead of the ship that dropped it, you can fly through the entire level and need to be re-spawned.
6: The uselessness of Devilia's point-to-point races.
7: The imbalance of ship performance in this game is only rivaled by Wipeout Pure, and even Pure has more balance. The fact that we've had to go into the game's files to find REAL ship performance tells you how busted that system is.
8: G-Tech Systems sucks ass through a straw. I dare you to tell me otherwise. And, it's a plug for Good Technology, no more, no less.
9: Dropping through the track at times when going over Katmoda's flip pads.
10: Graphically, the original trilogy was so far ahead of its time. Even better than the Final Fantasy PS1 games. This game...not so much. It's fluid, but not as visually stunning as a Wip3out.

vh5150
5th April 2004, 02:37 AM
All this information about the good and bad things about Wipeout Fusion should be handed over to the moderator that runs this forum that works for Sony.

Tell them that they bastardized a good genre of futuristic racing and now they have a way to repair that in (if any) the next installment of Wipeout.

Could there ever be a way to tell Studio Liverpool that our voice matters?

infoxicated
5th April 2004, 08:28 AM
They have a very strong idea of what was wrong with Wipeout Fusion, as well as a few of the things that were good about it. They might have strayed from the path with that one, but they still know the way to make a good Wipeout game for future reference. :)

G'Kyl
5th April 2004, 08:59 AM
I am quite sure it's the same soundtracks ( it's not a long time i ve own SE)
About Mijk Van Dijk i am not sure, i know Paul Van Dyk a very nice DJ; probably not the same one...

Yep, Soundtracks are exactely the same, I got both versions here.

And no, Paul and Mike have got nothing to do with each other, except for the name of course. :) The latter actually emphasizes on that his last name is pronounced somewhat differently than Paul's. A friend of mine once did interviews with both of them. Anyway, that's about all I know. I'm not into their kind of music.

Ben

Rapier Racer
13th April 2004, 02:30 AM
Yes fusion has many faults, steering slightly away from that and to the website I do not like the way in whitch they killed off half the teams, take Icaras for example the fastest team on WO 3 and what was it's demise, oh the man that started it swallowed a balloon at a kids party! AG Systems apparantely swallowed up by G-Tech, what? where's the proof of that? G-Techs stats are all the exact opposite of AG's you think they would have adopted some of the teams characteristics like the crafts handling. Also I WANT MY ASSEGAI. As someone said earlier they turned Wipeout into a joke, have you read the info for the eg-r pilots?

I guess there must be lots of howlers in there.

Yes have you noticed the Van-Uber team slogan? = 'Rest In Pieces' were they talking about thier own ships cos they normally do.

DJ Techno
16th April 2004, 03:16 PM
The only thing I had problems with the game is.

Playing Vohl Square forward and reverse track 2.
I would leap from track to track toward the fninsh line.

I would hit the ramp, fly into the air, and then get stuck at hundreds to thousands of feet in the air and begin to fly around. Until Im either brought back down by a rescue ship or
I figure the way on my own. Crash and Burn

Escaped_Badger
16th May 2004, 01:33 PM
Has anyone mentioned the sloppy box cover? Had no style what so ever, in fact the games didn't have much style either.

Bob Todd
8th June 2004, 10:08 AM
Most game boxes suck donkey balls. They probably get the work experience kids to design them.

EDIT: Hee hee, my post count ends in sizzy-nine! :D

science
12th June 2004, 10:02 PM
-AG Systems is gone replaced by G-Tech. I know the new developers wanted a plug, but please, don't toss a great team.

How lame am I? I never caught onto the plug until I read your comment! :oops:

Lance
12th June 2004, 10:23 PM
me either. i have sUch a penetrating intelligence. :roll:

zargz
12th June 2004, 11:18 PM
oversea Lamers!! 8) .. :lol:

science
12th June 2004, 11:51 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, using the term "lamer" automatically place one in said category simply by its use. :wink:

zargz
13th June 2004, 12:02 AM
(_ _,)/~~

Lance
13th June 2004, 12:04 AM
''EDIT: Hee hee, my post count ends in sizzy-nine!''

mine's done that 24 times. woohoo!

TsorT
17th August 2004, 04:15 AM
grrrrrrrrrrrr

hope the second one comes ot better as the rumor sais

Thruster2097
17th August 2004, 08:50 AM
Going back to the checkpoints, I think Gran Turismo have got it right. When you pass through a checkpoint, or a "split" the onscreen shows the tine difference (firstly) between you and the driver infront and (secondly) between you and the driver behind.
Checkpoints arent necessarily lame but time limits are a waste of space!
With time limits, you're either too rubbish that you always get caught out by them, or youre a good player and you always pass the checkpoints in time.

Another thing, I thought avery lapped contender in fusion was supposed to be eliminated. Whats the deal with that? When I go for a sunday stroll on florian 3 in the 100%piranha, I lap everybody, yet they're still there for me to quake on the next lap. What gives?

DaMiGi63
9th October 2004, 04:23 AM
ok,my problems with fusion

1,Vohl Square course 1,forward and reverse,this track sux,BIG TIME :twisted:

2, weapons, the Flamer and Photon cannon are totally useless ,unless your in the right craft :x

3, Challenges,the DV's made them "Too Hard" to date,I have only 5 Golds :oops:

4, Characters,who wants to play as a "character",I mean it's fine for something like "Final Fantasy" or "Splinter Cell" Or "Metal Gear Solid" ,it's supposed to be you in the craft not you as the character :roll:

I've never experienced the " going thru the wall thingy " so I can't really comment on that one,but the problems that i have are very minor and I think it's a good game overall 8)

Sausehuhn
3rd November 2004, 06:39 PM
Fusion is the best WipEout game of all. Okay, the flying-style is more than just bad, I know, but all in all it's the best game. You have more modes, more ships, more Tracks, more informations about teams, pilots and lots of other things. The thing with the pilots is a very good one, because this way every team has it's own character and a own story.

Yes, the ship's design is not like it was in the older games, but hey, they don't look so bad, right?! The menue is easy to understand, the design of the game is really good and the soundtrack, too!

The graphic is like 8O - no other WipEout title has a better one.

Zone is one of the best modes and it's the ultimate speed-feeling! There are so many thing I like, I can't say the game is no WipEout-game.

Okay, the game is full of bugs, but they aren't so bad if you know how to get around them. (slow down on Vohl Square).

The game is too easy, that's the only thing that makes the game worse...

DaMiGi63
3rd November 2004, 07:05 PM
Easy...?,you call fusion "easy"..??? 8O :roll: , I think that Wipeout fusion is by far the hardest of the games :twisted: ,it took me over 85 hr.s before I opened up time trial and I don't even have the gold challenges yet :cry: :oops: , please refer to the topic AG League Completed to see my progression , but I wll agree with you that it is the "best of them" :wink: :D 8)

Evanescence
4th November 2004, 02:29 PM
I think that Wipeout fusion is by far the hardest of the games
fusion IS easy. have you ever played XGIII (Extreme G Racing)? there you get to know what difficulty and speed really means...

1,Vohl Square course 1,forward and reverse,this track sux,BIG TIME
dito... but my most hated track is temtesh bay course 2 (+reverse). it's so stupid! I barely can handle to fly threw the tunnel-part without any scratches... in the other case (when I use the air brakes more often) the enemies go ahead. *scream*

the soundtrack is IMO just great...

...and the menu is a catasrophie itself

Finally... it was my first wipeout-game - and I love it ^_^ (maybe because I hadn't have the chance to play the others, yet)

Leftism
28th December 2004, 11:06 AM
The Music: not that I hate the music, but it just doesn't fit the game. Whatever happened to the times of Wip3out and 2097? Bring on The Chemicals, Leftfield (even if they have split up stick in 6/8 War or the Dave Clarke remix of Phat Planet), Tech Itch (yeah, dutty Drum n Bass can work), Luke Slater, Evil Nine (For Lovers, Not Fighters, We Have The Energy), etc

The Tracks: Some are great, some just God damn awful. As great as it is, it lost credibility when you ended up in space on Katmoda (is that how it's spelt?)

The Teams: Why get rid of some of the teams? Stupid idea, stupid replacements, get em back.

Gameplay: Too combat orientated. The need to actually be faster than your opponents is no longer needed as it's all just about blastin' the **** out of whoevers next to you. Sure you did that in the other Wipeouts but the combat wasn't so heavy handed as before.

The Graphics: Not necessarily bad but didn't have that futuristic feel of the others, just felt too bright and optimistic. Maybe cliched, but I prefered the Blade Runner types like Manor Top, etc

Design: Get The Designers Republic back on board. Standard!

DuraFlex
28th December 2004, 11:12 PM
Long time i have been around here, glad to see this whole community is still standing :D

In my opinion wipeout fusion isnt that bad, but the previous games where "deeper".

I remember when i played the first wipeout that i had some kind of rush by it, although i only could win the first track :oops: back then i found the controls a bit to slow, so i didnt realy practice the game, although i got addicted to the whole atmosphere

Fusion just didnt have the same inpact. I hated it in the beginning. The ships looked like they were riding on invisible rails or something. When a track goes down all of a sudden the ship went straight with the track instead of flying trough the air, making a bouncy landing (yes, this is almost sounding like peotry).

Nonetheless after playing the demo for a while i got hooked. Maybe because i didnt want to miss this episode, the whole atmosphere, ...

The things that made me like wipeout like the crowd cheering from the stands, insane track design, the story, ... are still in there. Only the new physics engine is a bit to sticky. I think it would be better if they gave the ships a lot more space to bounce.

Also there are way to much weapon pads on the tracks. I'll check this with the original wipeout, but in fusion u get a pad every couple of seconds making it a fragfest instead of a racer. Yes its cool to shoot a misile at someone, but this game isnt made to be a shooter.

The gravity bomb is way to overpowered, but the grav stinger is cool, although it would be nicer if the ship scraped at the bottom of the track losing some speed and shield power. That way the pace wouldnt be slowed down like it is now.

As for the rest, music is good, sound is good, gfx are nice, trackdesign is cool except for the "off track" locations and i think good technology did a fine job starting from scratch on this game.

Well thats about it (for now)

greetz, dura

LoneWolf
23rd September 2005, 09:25 PM
The Bugs
The Final ship of each team doesn't have the team's colors
No AG-SIS or Qirex
The Ships desing are not as cool as Wipeout 3
No Vector, Venon, rapier and Phantom

SMThomas
12th October 2005, 06:05 PM
Well it's not that bad really, it plays alright though and completed 49% of the game so far, I owned the second hand version for two years but I still play it, I think the piranha ship looks pretty awesome but the problem is that the final upgrade of any ship shows a dull grey skin to it, and when it comes to piranha, it just shows grey without red or yellow at all... :(

Sausehuhn
12th October 2005, 06:20 PM
When you talk about Fusion there are almost 2 groups:
the one who hates the game and the one who loves the game.
So that is what I've noticed.

Personally I love the game, really. Especially because the tracks are so well designed. And I know for the most people the tracks and their sourroundings are just one more thing on the list this thread is about.
I also like most of the shipdesigns, even when the 4ths aren't the best ones and e.g. Pure's crafts are looking far better IMO.

There's just one thing I don't like that much: the handling. I would never say it's bad - never. It's just not that handling we all love WipEout for.
But I still like it.
And I'm sure, that Fusion had been the best WipEout ever if they've kept the old handling. And I'm also sure that most of people hadn't said "I don't like the tracks", "I don't like the shipdesigns", "I don't like this and that" if Fusion had the WipEout-handling.

SMThomas
12th October 2005, 06:31 PM
Yeah I think handling is quite bad though like having to handle the craft using air brakes can be bit arkward sometimes, especially when it comes to zone, that second level really p/**£s me off because of handling.

EDIT: Thanks Sausehuhn, I got it all sorted by now...

Sausehuhn
12th October 2005, 06:34 PM
hehe
espeically Zone makes Fusion better to me :D

PS: you should delete your quote, there's no need for it when you answer to a post that is above you.

Seek100
12th October 2005, 07:09 PM
The handling is but one complaint amongst many regarding Fusion, I think you'll find that a lot of people don't bother to explain why they don't like the track design, the handling model, the physics engine (or rather lack thereof), the craft design, the upgrade system, the menu music (has caused numerous reported cases of psychopathy) and various other issues they have with the game because these are shared complaints and we'd all end up repeating the same post over and over again moaning about the game. Which would make for a fairly boring thread.

Personally I absolutely despise the game and feel the creators betrayed the spirit of the games and the hardcore of fans but I still tolerate it and can play a few races without wanting to burn all my clothes and take numerous showers (as in Ace Ventura '"Einhorn is a man!" scene').

To elaborate on the track designs, if they were to be stripped off the facking idiotic loop-the-loops, barrel-rolls and 'off-road' sections they would be no better nor worse than the tracks of any other wipEout game. Okay they were ridiculously wide for a proper wipEout game but that would have been forgiveable if only they'd kept them normal, a loop-the-loop or barrel-roll is the most retarded track design ever as from the perspective of the driver it's just a straight section of track. Woo! :roll:

The other contentious issue is the craft, which I'm sorry but do you think it's a sensible idea to race a single seat strapped to an engine and wings at 500km/h with an open roof? (ala Piranha, G-Tech or Auricom) Only a certifiably insane person would dare such a feat. Also can you seriously tell me the Auricom in Fusion was a good looking design? Can ya? Go on I dare ya (j/k).

SMThomas
12th October 2005, 07:28 PM
Did you know that you can accelerate up to about 2100kph but it's still not fast! I think they meant 158 mph actually...

Seek100
12th October 2005, 08:54 PM
Er, do you mean the numbers the speedo read in Fusion? I think not so much a pinch but rather a mine full of salt should be taken when looking at those numbers, all prior and latter wipEouts have kept fairly sensible several hundred km/h top speeds and given Fusion essentially looks the same I have no problem believing they just wanted to write facking stupid numbers there so people go 'ooh wow that's **** fast!' when they see it.

Jittery-Joe
13th October 2005, 04:42 PM
One thing I have to say about Fusion, is that it was an alright game in it's own right, it just wasn't a worthy WipEout Successor...

...Plus it was to weapon-heav

SMThomas
16th November 2005, 06:15 PM
Yeah you may be right, it's not totally true to the series but still alright to play.

Don't know what you meant by weapon-heav anyway...

Dominator
17th November 2005, 02:09 AM
Weapon-heav = Too much emphasis on weapons, quantity of weapons, weapons fire and probably too many "Contender Eliminated" Fusion lost it's racing roots, and that is what wipEout is all about, Racing, not mass destruction...:)

SMThomas
17th November 2005, 12:41 PM
But I like it when you'll be able to destroy opponments with weapons, see their energy bar and get to take out your rivals in the touranment.

But seeing WipEout as racing game. I agree with you as this game is all about weapons, taking it closer to twisted metal games.

Seek100
17th November 2005, 09:54 PM
You can still take out opponents in the other wipEout games (well not the original) but Fusion took it to ridiculous extremes. There is a very nice and fun way around the weapons in Fusion though - turn them off. And the 'damage simulator' in the options, you'll still take damage from collisions, and unfortunately the damage still 'shows up' on your craft with bits falling off... But it actually makes the game about racing again, and makes it possible to get to the finish line in a Van-Uber (only just, and they're so slow you'll still lose).

I have actually found Fusion to be kind of fun with no weapons/localised damage.

Dominator
17th November 2005, 10:02 PM
I agree SMT, it was kinda fun destroying your opponents, but much more so in wo2097 & wip3outSE as they weren't so weapons orientated, making the kill that much more challenging, was way to easy on Fusion :)

oVerCaffeinated
20th February 2006, 05:23 AM
10 Things I Hate About Wipeout Fusion:

The Doors (Wouldn't have a problem with them if they opened all the time :bomb)
Aircraft designs (I think they watched too much Episode 1)
Open areas (Again I think they got that from Episode 1)
When you're Piranha you spend more time off the track then on
Weapon pads recharge way too fast
The laser fences are hard to see and they turn you around (Should've just had walls)
Weapons that make you stop still and break the flow of the game
Pitlane slows you down too much and breaks the flow of the game
Leagues are too short (Make them longer with save points)
The font used in the game is hard to read (but it does look cool :D)

I think the core of Wipeout Fusion is good but it's hard to enjoy with so many problems.

mikrucio
21st February 2006, 01:56 AM
10 Things I Hate About Wipeout Fusion:

The Doors (Wouldn't have a problem with them if they opened all the time :bomb) The doors open fine. there are yellow pads to open other doors.
Aircraft designs (I think they watched too much Episode 1)
Looks great to me :)

Open areas (Again I think they got that from Episode 1)
no problems here are u drunk?
When you're Piranha you spend more time off the track then on
learn to play the game.

Weapon pads recharge way too fast
They are perfect spot on.

The laser fences are hard to see and they turn you around (Should've just had walls)
dont hit them.

Weapons that make you stop still and break the flow of the game
no they dont. i can still come first even after 4 gravity bombs.
Pitlane slows you down too much and breaks the flow of the game
no they dont. it's perfect.
Leagues are too short (Make them longer with save points)
WTF?

The font used in the game is hard to read (but it does look cool :D)

Get a better TV use S-video or COMPonent

I think the core of Wipeout Fusion is good but it's hard to enjoy with so many problems.

If you learn to play the game properly(full speed, full upgrades)
you might find it a little different. yes it's hard at first.
iv never met anyone that can control even the feiser well on their first go. or second or third.

oVerCaffeinated
21st February 2006, 03:24 AM
The doors open fine. there are yellow pads to open other doors.
Do all doors have those? I seem to remember only a few doors that needed the yellow pads to be activated.

Looks great to me :)
That's cool if you like them. I tend to like the sleek look of the 2097 ships better 8)

no problems here are u drunk?
The open areas (especially the desert ones) really do remind me of Episode 1 and I'm completely sober :p

learn to play the game.
Perhaps that is the problem, I don't know how to use Piranha but I always get the feeling they didn't design the courses for it.

They are perfect spot on.
I guess if you like destruction :bomb I think it would have been better if you didn't get weapons so often.

dont hit them.
That's a good idea but you can only do that once you've learnt the courses. It's annoying when you're trying to learn the courses.

no they dont. i can still come first even after 4 gravity bombs.
I'm not saying they are unfair, it's just they break the speed. I wanna be speeding until I cross the finish or explode :bomb

Get a better TV use S-video or COMPonent
LOL I'll just stroll down to Harvey Norman and buy 40" Plasma just so I can read the font on Wipeout :robot

eLhabib
21st February 2006, 11:30 AM
overcaffeinated, I applaude you for answering in such a sincere and reasonable manner to mikrucio's post, which obviously was nothing more than stupid and childish provokation. All the things you pointed out in your first post are things that bother me too about fusion, and I would like to ask mikrucio to rethink some of the things he said, and the general tone of his post.

username
21st February 2006, 09:13 PM
yes, well here are my 10 (sorry if already mentiond!)

1. the handling
2. the way you can up-grade the ships
3. frame slow-down
4. too many weapons and war like scene
5. childish and sill loop-the-loopsthat make the game ''not wipeout''
6. the scenery, althought futuristic, is way too futuristic if you know what i mean, i like the pure scenery the best imo
7. as said before, but i feel that ALL of the doors on the tracks should be got rid of
8. the ''ready go'' announcer style instead of the ''321 style'' announcer
9. the multiplayer, although good, it is not brilliant, maybe they could bring out a new feature for the muktiplayer sessions that is optional, so that if people dont like it they can turn it off
10. the instruction manual says that birds have been known to be drawn to the mines, when in the game they dont! (not that i want to see that in the next game)

mikrucio
21st February 2006, 10:38 PM
Common people! if all the things you liked about the OLD games you want in the new games. then the new games arent new games are they? NO!
So if you like all the things about wipeout 2097 and hate all the things about fusion. done play fusion. ITS THAT SIMPLE! coz it's not wipeout 2097. it's wipeout fusion. there is a BIG difference and the differences are deliberate.

no flame wars. no offence. it's just plain simple.

Lion
21st February 2006, 10:57 PM
mikrucio, please don't get so defensive and confrontational.
this is a thread created a long time ago for people to voice the things that they do not ilke about fusion.
it's fine if you like it a lot, but a large portion of the people on these forums have one major problem with fusion, which is that it is SO different in feel and gameplay that it does not feel like a part of the wipeout series.
they made some steps in the right direction, but they also diverged a bit (too far?) from the path in places

username
22nd February 2006, 09:33 PM
although i see what mikrucio was saying about an old game and respect his opinion on the idea about why would it be a new wipeout, i also more aggree with lion with the rudeness!

i think that it still would be an new game as there would be new ships and tracks, and that is what we need at the monment, and always will do!

blixabargeld
18th March 2008, 12:03 PM
Fusion was naturally the first game i bought with my ps2 (with the amazing kappa shirt, of course) and at the beginning i tought it was amazing. than i've putted in the black monolite the previous wipeout game and finally came in my mind that fusion is a good game, but not a "truly inspired wipeout game", or nota a wipeout game at all.
big breaking points are:

-no ag system
-off bounds areas with dusty podracer effect, directly from sw episode 1
-ship and track design
-too many weapon
-more focus on fighting than on driving
-absence of balance in ships stats
-8 contenders were enoug
-where is the amazing floating sensation of the previous games?
-air brake inplementation
-will to seem next-gen at any cost

HISHO[JP]
19th March 2008, 11:05 AM
No floatage feeling(A necessary point of wipEout)

Longer loading times(same as Pure)

No AG-systems(bought by G-tech) and Qirex(bought by Tigaron)

Not for Japan

blixabargeld
19th March 2008, 11:11 AM
haven't you got Fusion there in japan? :eek

Lance
19th March 2008, 06:24 PM
Hisho, please give the campaign a rest, we all know about your disappointment that some of the games are not available in Japan, but the Studio Liverpool people who are members here have already read your several previous remarks on this subject, and in any case do not have the power to change the marketing strategy, which is the responsibility of SCEE. You need to make your case directly to SCEE, not to SL, and not to us.

blixabargeld
19th March 2008, 07:16 PM
sorry about that, lance..:rolleyes:

Lance
19th March 2008, 08:58 PM
I'm sorry that I felt the need to shout. :D

sp1cychick3n
1st May 2008, 11:08 PM
You know what else I hate? The level design. It's so hard to navigate the ship without hitting the wall so many times. Most of my shield energy goes away by doing that. It's very irritating.

adelheid
8th May 2008, 03:22 AM
Hmm. Does anyone else have this problem?
I can't seem to navigate the tracks on fusion without scraping walls coming out of, and sometimes into, corners, but untill now I always assumed it was because I was a bad pilot.

username
8th May 2008, 08:54 PM
Common people! if all the things you liked about the OLD games you want in the new games. then the new games arent new games are they? NO!
So if you like all the things about wipeout 2097 and hate all the things about fusion. done play fusion. ITS THAT SIMPLE! coz it's not wipeout 2097. it's wipeout fusion. there is a BIG difference and the differences are deliberate.

no flame wars. no offence. it's just plain simple.

Mikrucio, please try to be politer. I am sure i speak myself and for my friends here that you are a tad offensive.

Lance
9th May 2008, 12:11 AM
You do realise that mikrucio was already banned for that post and can no longer be either polite or impolite, right?

Rapier Racer
10th May 2008, 09:03 AM
I can't seem to navigate the tracks on fusion without scraping walls coming out of, and sometimes into, corners

Your using the air brakes constantly yes? I used to fly Van Uber in Fusion so getting round a corner was never really an issue. The ships em, 'slide' if you will a lot it's just Fusions dodgy handling you need to get used to.

adelheid
11th May 2008, 10:35 PM
Air brakes constantly, yep! Is that a bad thing?
I do well on WO3, I can make it around most tracks without scraping my fantastic pink Qirex...

Sausehuhn
12th May 2008, 10:44 PM
You shouldn't use the airbrakes for every corner of course (this also depends a lot on the craft). There are many curves where airbrakes aren't necessary and then again many where you have to use them with no exceptions.
Just don't use them too often and you will scrape a lot less.

adelheid
13th May 2008, 06:12 AM
Should I practice with something like Van Uber first?
I'm thinking that maybe I should run through Fusion and build up my skills in the same way I did with WO3: Start with a ship that has an insane amount of control (Assegai) and then work through the ships to end with the big, heavy, hard to control things like Quirex. Problem is I don't know what this list would be for WO:F.

blixabargeld
13th May 2008, 07:35 AM
start to practice with feisar, (van uber it's quite difficult to race with, because of its paper shield) then gradually upgrade it from race to race, so your ability will increase a lot as you go trough the championships. That's what i did, of course.. ;)

adelheid
13th May 2008, 06:21 PM
start to practice with feisar, (van uber it's quite difficult to race with, because of its paper shield) then gradually upgrade it from race to race, so your ability will increase a lot as you go trough the championships. That's what i did, of course.. ;)

Erm... done the championship (haven't unlocked even half of the ships yet).
Anyway, start with Feisar....

mdhay
13th May 2008, 06:43 PM
Ditch the quote, man.

I don't hate anything about Fusion. It's a WipEout in its own right, and shouldn't be abandoned.

adelheid
15th May 2008, 03:52 PM
I hate the way the ships drop after a jump, like they've been slapped down by an invisible hand, unless you are above a certain speed and then flying out of the level becomes a real possibility, especially on Vohl Square 2.

Sausehuhn
15th May 2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah. Same goes for Pure and Pulse -.-

username
20th May 2008, 01:48 PM
I hate the way there is no wusswagon, makes it feel totally unreal, and the wusswagon was part of the best wipeouts.

adelheid
21st May 2008, 03:27 AM
Agreed.

RJ O'Connell
28th July 2008, 05:15 PM
If you go back to the middle of the fourth page in this thread I went ahead and revised my own list. I figured since I'm older and had time to mature and reflect on the series throughout, I'd update the things I don't like about this game.

Which, by the way, is still in the top class of PS2 racers as a whole. (It's better than Mega Race 3 at least! ;))

Darkdrium777
28th July 2008, 09:58 PM
Kinetica was pretty good (what I remember from it). I have not played Fusion to be able to compare though.

RJ O'Connell
29th July 2008, 03:19 AM
If you believe Wikipedia, apparently Wipeout Fusion runs on Kinetica's game engine, which is called...Kinetica.

Yagya
30th July 2008, 02:30 AM
i just can't stand that all the ships are rounded. i like my sharp angles on the ships like previous installments and ones after it. to me Fusion is the game to hate to make us treasure all the rest more.

much like pokemon like Metapod exist. you have to have something you completely loath to appreciate everything else. compared to metapod, raticate is a little bit more acceptable. i don't know if that makes sense (also don't know if pokemon is familiar with any of you)

so me hating Fusion for all that it is, i cherish all the other ones in the series so much more. so in a way, i owe thanks to its existence.

RJ O'Connell
30th July 2008, 02:53 AM
Feisar, Auricom and Piranha are still very blunt designs.

(fitting eh? even if the latter two are CONVERTIBLEZ OMG)

eLhabib
30th July 2008, 06:47 AM
I beg you pardon? Auricom? Ship design??? C'mon, it's a BRICK! You'd think that in a sport with a multi-million budget, the ship engineers would have some knowledge about aerodynamics!
The ship design in Fusion is godawful, with the only two exceptions being FEISAR (well, oldschool shape there) and EG.r (which by the way is the only team in Fusion bearing a team logo of actual design quality, all the other team logos were rubbish!)

RJ O'Connell
30th July 2008, 04:59 PM
I was more or less referring to the "roundness" of Fusion's ships compared to each of the other games. Auricom's design looks like ****, but it's still very angular and squarey.

Hail Seizure
6th January 2009, 11:37 PM
1. Unlocking Katmoda 12 was like suddenly being dropped into a Futurama version of racing on the Moon: Airbrakes that work in a vacuum, open topped AG ships, a moving starfield in the background and sound in space. Bleurgh.

2. The controls aren't freely assignable. I use the square button as the accellarator in all the other Playstation and PSP Wipeout games, so why can't I do it in this one? It's annoying when I fire up WO3 or SE and my thumb still thinks the hyperthrust button is the gas pedal.

3. Analogue airbrakes and fire button: It's a nice thing to have until my left hand turns into a searing claw of raw PAIN. Fortunately Fusion supports the original PS1 digital joypad, but unfortunately the digital airbrakes only seem to work at half strength and the weapon control is stuck on maximum power with no possibility of adjustment.

4. The UK version (which I have) outputs 50Hz interlaced PAL only. On a console that is perfectly capable of outputting a 60Hz NTSC signal, in a country where most TVs are perfectly capable of displaying that signal if used with the correct cable, the lack of a 60Hz display mode (let alone progressive scan!) is absolutely unacceptable.

5. Grav stingers

6. Gravity bombs

7. Saving is disabled if you use a cheat code. I'll never forget the day (shortly after I bought Fusion) when I looked at the unlock list on Gamefaqs and thought "I have to complete 30% of this crap just to play Zone mode?!!!". Of course, it's also a good thing in that being unable to cheat to a useful degree forced me to play the game properly and in doing so realise that I actually quite like it.

8. The ice cavern on Cubiss Float 2

9. All those alternate routes at Temtesh Bay where you can fall off the edge of the track and land on another bit. If I wanted to play pinball with hoverships I'd play SNES F-Zero.

10. I like Fusion a LOT more than Pure and Pulse. That just feels a bit wrong somehow. :lol

RJ O'Connell
7th January 2009, 09:24 PM
Fire at R1 for some reason feels better than having it at circle.....

Hail Seizure
7th January 2009, 10:42 PM
In WO3 and SE I assign fire to triangle, and in WO1 and 2097 I assign it to X. I use setup 2 in Fusion simply because it's the least worst for me.

11. The way that hitting an electric barrier often leaves my craft pointing in the wrong direction.

12. Falling through the scenery and out of the game world when I get thrown off the track or miss a landing aftera a jump doesn't do much for my immersion in the game.

13. The widescreen function doesn't seem to work.

Kiwi_Stig
17th March 2009, 10:50 AM
Until last night, I had overlooked any downpoints of Fusion. However, since taking note last night of these (they were really pissing me off), these are the following faults (in no particular order):

- AI can get really annoying when they keep barging past (and taking the weapon pad/s you were going for)

- Those stupid electric barrier things that block off other sections of the track - if you hit them you get flicked around 180 degrees and will no doubt lose a few positions (doesn't help when you're trying to avoid them and have AI all around you (see previous point)). Why could they not just be solid walls??

- When you keep getting sh!t weapons - particularly if your main aim is eliminations

- That you can't disable certain weapons in single player (like you can in multiplayer) - I'd turn off the proton cannon (it's pathetic), flamethrower (even more so), gravity bomb (god that gets annoying), autopilot (hardly works), quake (it quite often throws me off course mid-jump (my main cause for going off the track)), possibly the grenades (they can come in handy to slow someone down a bit), possibly the grav stinger.
Definitely keep the missile and turbo though

- Sometimes when you go off the track the game respawns you at a point not where you were and thinks you have to do an extra lap (happened to me last night on Vohl Square Course 3 (R) - I was 9th I think (I'm not exactly the best on Vohl), just going over the jump that leads onto the start/finish straight from the open area (to do my final lap) when a quake was fired from a ship behind me, so I was thrown to the right and fell off the track. I was respawned around the first bend, still on my second lap and now in last. I was fuming...)

- The ships take ages to accelerate

- Even though I haven't played any of the other WipEout games (with the exception of Wo64), checkpoints would make it more fun, even if they did only show the split between you and the next ship in front and behind of you respectively

- Possibly shoulda had a couple of really long tracks (perhaps a composite of some of them (traverse between 3 or 4 of the regions maybe?)(per track)), coz most of the tracks you finish a race within 3 min or less - kinda too quick I reckon

They are the main ones, might add more as I discover them...

Xavier
17th March 2009, 01:03 PM
I wish this game (and the same problem occurs in Pulse) would show you the finishing times of all the ships when the race is done. When you finish 8th and want to know what kind of time you'd need to put together in order to finish first, not having any information can be tough. Fortunately they fixed this in Pure, but then (why!?) they took it out again.

Harvai
27th March 2009, 09:45 AM
I've just made a list of things I love in Fusion, and there's a few that keep it from being a 'classic' game in my heart. Not game-breaking, just really annoying:

1. The speed. Waaaaay too fast. (this coming from somebody who can't really handle Phantom)
2. Kerb-hopping off the track (comes from number 1)
3. Trackless sections with bits of rock and junk getting in the way.
4. Temtesh Bay's trackles- OH GOD MY EYES!
5. The pit lane never seems to fully recharge my shield;
6. Ships with different shield strengths.
7. G-Tech. Just...no
8. The Flamethrower. It'd be cool if it covered the track in a searing inferno...
9. That one flip-pad door-section on Katmoda 12 that ALWAYS destroys my ship
10. The font. Small TV - can't read it. Large TV - can't read it.

Velocitar64
4th April 2009, 11:05 PM
1. The tracks are out of control.
2. All the upgraded ships are green O.O
3. Pitlane, never fully refills your ship.
4. Pirahnna was really disappointing.
5. G-Tech was awful.
6. You couldn't play as the zone mode ship. It looked awesome!
7. Soundtrack. I didn't like it.
8. The flamethrower was far too small to have any impact.
9. The illegible voice that warns you of weapons.
10. Quake makes the game one sided and unbalanced.

FatScarf
18th April 2009, 03:54 PM
i played through this and completed everything, didn't think it sucked at any point. i suppose i agree on the handling being a bit worse, but i just got used to it and thought it wasn't too much of a hindrance. soundtrack is mint too, can't see why anyone wouldn't like it.

stoneygate
11th May 2009, 10:20 PM
Just to add that I played it through twice and really enjoyed it. If it had online I'd have played until the moment HD came out.

mdhay
12th May 2009, 07:14 PM
6. You couldn't play as the zone mode ship. It looked awesome!

And that's one more for Feisar.:D;)

jan709
20th May 2009, 09:40 PM
finally something positive about fusion in the last few posts. I really hate to see fusion being burnt down:frown:

Sirius IV
26th May 2009, 02:09 PM
The negative points of Wipeout Fusion are:

- some tracks are excessively long;
- some useless weapon (what's the exact function of "gravstinger" weapon :|?);
- G-Tech...cool name, cool logo (i like it, please don't hate me) but the ship sucks!
- Recharging zones are 'so slow to recharge all your shield, and with a Van Uber this is a great problem;
- bugs! f****n' bugs when the race is on :brickwall...
- the cartoon style of the pilots.

They are not 10 points, but in the end...i like WipEout Fusion!

jan709
30th May 2009, 03:03 PM
gravestinger is a weapon that drops out of the rear of your ships and stops whoever drives over it dead in his tracks

RJ O'Connell
1st June 2009, 12:30 AM
- the cartoon style of the pilots.

I actually like the cartoony look, but I will concede that some of the pilot designs were awful. Roberto Sergio didn't need to look like Graham Hill's identical clone, Franco Gonzalez's look screams LOOK AT ME I'M A BLATANT STEREOTYPE!, and come on, many things could have been done to make Zala Wolff look better while still keeping that "punk-ish" edge she has.

Sausehuhn
1st June 2009, 11:15 AM
Besides the pilots (and maybe the menus), there is IMO nothing cartoonish with Fusion.
I have to say that every WipEout after Fusion looked much more cartoonish in-game than Fusion does. In terms of realistic-looking WO3 and WOF are probably the most believable.

And yeah, even WOHD looks cartoonish on some tracks. Too much color. Too much neon. Things that next-gen graphics can't fix ;)

RJ O'Connell
1st June 2009, 04:59 PM
I was under the impression that next-gen graphics were too brown and glarey.

But that's another story.

I wanna add the wall-grinding trick to the list, it's up there with the Infinite Hyperthrust cheat and Piranha II in Wipeout 64 in terms of "LAME WAYS TO GO FASTER!"

ACE-FLO
2nd June 2009, 01:05 AM
Paul Cheung, most despicable character they coulda hoped to find ... they wire him up to some techyshit, and voila - he's the new kid on the block with an EG-R - the new ship on the block.

Wipeout Fusion was for me, the game I loved for all its imperfections. And boy, it weren't the best, but being able to fire backwards in 2player split screen, was its saving grace for me... I like Carnage.

however, the thing I hated most was the single player mode. So boring!

XpanDrome2097
5th July 2009, 12:40 PM
Wipeout Fusion for me is the black sheep of the saga....every time am playing with this game I feel the same impressions:

- The ship design is poor, some of they looks ridicolous for that I want in a WipEout game (Tigron ship is awful in the look as his characteristics :turd!);
- The full-powered ships are nasty!!!! They just can't be looked (the powered G-Tech is a punch in your eye, only Feisar, Van-Uber and EG-R can be looked....full powered Xios? Star Wars is coming in (it's totally different from the original)!)!!!!
- The idea of the pilots? Good, but some of they looks stereotyped!
- Tracks with different variations: wonderful, but this sound me like a steal from Ridge Racer saga, isn't it?
- Some ships are futile: G-Tech looks good but has an horrible handling and a nasty acceleration, Van-Uber an excessive low shield and Tigron....ehm, for me Tigron is :turd.
- For me can't exist a Wipeout game without AG-Systems and Qirex :g !
- VERY IMPORTANT: The game bugs are in an excessive number, sometimes I feel frustrated 'cause the bugs makes me a loser....

But in generally, I don't hate Fusion, because it must be viewed as an attempt to change the game base, to make the "next-gen" Wipeout game at its time (WF was coming out in early 2002)....but some objects was going wrong....for this reasons i like Fusion with all his imprecisions, and the Feisar ship in this chapter feels wonderful.
Join the F9000 League!

shindubhe
7th August 2009, 05:01 AM
i just picked it up for $2.50 i had it years ago and with all the bugs i still really enjoyed it.

Koleax
30th September 2009, 01:39 AM
I really liked Fusion. The handling was different, but once you get used to it, there's much to be appreciated, particularly the track design. You don't often get a chance to appreciate the track design because you're trying to get through it as fast as possible, but Fusion was easy enough that you could try imagining the whole thing, even the parts that were blocked off, and see its complexity.

But this thread is about the bad stuff, so I'll list what I can think of.

1. Menu music -- a little blippy for the wipeout style, the beat is all wrong, and that's just the beginning.
2. Ship design -- particularly ugly, roundish blocky-looking
3. The QUAKE -- ugh, really, we couldn't carry over the same style from before? Do you remember the first time you saw the quake and how awesome and inspiring it was, XL lifting up the track like it was a carpet? A devastating concrete carpet wave of pure destruction! But Fusion had a little oddly trapezoidal-shaped shockwave thingy.
4. Menu font -- default was all lower case, not a fan of that.
5. Cheats -- there was a menu for cheats... what do you say to that? Thanks?
6. Plasma bolt -- sounds like it was bought at a garage sale.
7. Pit -- slowing down through the pit lane, as if the pit lane is supposed to be safe
8. Doors -- Doors. They open and shut. In a race. I confess to not getting this.

Actually this point highlights something that I rather did like about Fusion. It was the feeling that I was racing where I ought not to race and that this was a challenge I was meant to handle. I felt the simultaneity of freedom and danger while in those open spaces, like the feeling that comes through maturity.

During the whole game I was feeling like this wasn't a wipeout game, and when I accepted that, then I accepted the experience as a deviation. As long as this wasn't the direction the entire franchise would take, I was fine.

Kyonshi
1st October 2009, 12:29 AM
8. Doors -- Doors. They open and shut. In a race. I confess to not getting this.

Exact same thing for me.

Temtesh Bay is the worst, most stupid and crappy track ever created in a WipEout title. What the ****ing hell were the developers thinking??!?

I admit i loved Fusion in abstraction of all the other points you brought up. Even if the ship design was more bulky, i loved how you could improve your ship performances and shape with money. The soundtrack is actually awesome and @$$-kicking! Maybe its not your cup 'o tea afterall :) The missing floating effect of previous titles didnt bothered me overall, even if i never really agreed on removing it.

But when i got to Temtesh Bay... omg. I was instantly disappointed. I almost stop playing it on a daily basis like i was before getting to this piece of **** of a track :bomb Its really something when you stop playing a WipEout game because of one track... I tried over and over again to get over it and play despite this, but its way too ridiculously frustrating to continue at Phamton Class...

Koleax
1st October 2009, 02:59 AM
The music in-game was alright. Someone mentioned that the music didn't seem to fit the game, and I agree at first, but it's one of those things that grow on you again. Besides, I already liked some of the artists.

At first I was especially disappointed by the music because two of the songs, "Funny Break" by Orbital and BT's "Smartbomb" were already in another PS2 game, "FreQuency" by Harmonix, the guys who eventually went on to make "Guitar Hero." "Funny Break" is great and I don't listen to Orbital enough, but I'm a pretty big fan of BT, and I just had to think... Smartbomb, again? Still, I liked it. When I think of Fusion music, I think of its version of Smartbomb and that shattering sound effect that BT no doubt spent hours writing in C++ just to get it right.

The Temtesh Bay doors are not fun at all, but on the outside that's actually one of my favorite tracks. The red stripes, those long steep hills, and that blinding sun through the dust the racers in front of you kick up in the open area? That was brilliant. One of those "holy sh---! was not expecting that!" moments.

The sun effect was always cool to see in Fusion. It was strategically placed so that you would see it at certain parts of the track, yet didn't feel artificial. Looks great on an old CRT.

Sausehuhn
2nd October 2009, 03:53 PM
The doors are annoying, yes. But only because they are too slow at Phantom. Once you got the hang out of it (short break) they are nice places to drop bombs behind ;)
Temtesh bay in general: Track 1 is a pure speed sesation, track 2 is wonderful once you know all the possibilities you get through the splitted tunnels and track 3 is fun to race as well with its huge heights and lows and sharp turns.

And the sourrounding is awesome. Rusty and technical :)

Kyonshi
2nd October 2009, 05:08 PM
Sure, Temtesh Bay has beautiful scenery - without the ****ing doors, yes!

You wanna give me challenging track layout? Give me something like Spilskinanke, Manor Top, Megamall, Valparaiso, Silverstream, Odessa Keys, Vostok Island!!! :P

Lance
2nd October 2009, 07:59 PM
Hm.. Spilskinanke, major goodness.

Koleax
8th October 2009, 04:20 AM
9. Missile lock -- The missile would actually lock on target immediately, so you didn't have to wait for the animation to finish. This at first seemed a minor bother, providing only temporary confusion, but now I'm firing missiles in Wipeout HD without waiting for them to lock on and it's proving a difficult habit to unlearn.

blackwiggle
8th October 2009, 08:28 AM
I really hate the loading times for FUSION .

They pissed me off before I got used to the quick loading times of HD and are slower than all previous Wipeouts,well so it seems to me.
A game killer ... I wouldn't mind this game again if it was a download version for the PS3 with quicker load times......they could put it online multiplayer I think???

And like others ,I quit playing the game at Phantom speed at Temtesh Bay due to the glitches within that track.

Gusto-Pastel
1st November 2009, 10:40 PM
I think the only things that really irritated me were the bugs, like flying full speed into a dodgy part of the wall only to end up outside the track, being quaked off the track across the finish line and missing a lap as a result, grinding along a wall into one of the laser thingies that block off different track routes and spinning around spontaneously... and the whole upgrade system. It took me about half the campaign and a lot of frustrated losing to figure out that I was meant to upgrade my ship, and then once I had a fully upgraded Piranha the game was just far too easy. For replaying I ended up having to downgrade to Jann Shlaudecker's craft at 75%. Some of the weapons were pretty pointless too (flamer?), and the gravity bomb was just plain spammy.

Otherwise, I felt the game was pretty damn awesome and I played the **** out of it for a number of years, the 3 routes on each track was a cool idea (gives a total of 42 different tracks including reverse), the music was great, the new teams could have been a bit more loveable (I ended up only playing as FEISAR, Tigron and Piranha) but on the whole they were okay storywise, and of course, we had the birth of the Zone mode.

plasma_king
23rd December 2009, 11:24 AM
Ten things I disliked about wipeout fusion. These will all have doubtless featured in my other posts, but seeing as this is the proper link! Here goes...

1 - The idea of 'natural terrain' track sections. Controversial? Some (in my opinion crazy) people apparently thought they were good. I just hated the cave in Cubiss Float and the rubble field in Temptesh Bay so very, very much.

2 - The cartoony characters - They don't fly the ships and deserve the glory... I do damn it! : D

3 - The endlessly bopping menu music, and that really annoying noise that plays when you navigate the options. It sounds like the cry of a sick cat having its back half crushed by an anvil!

4 - Some of the stupid weapons: the Grav-Stinger, oh my god that thing just drove me mad; the Stealth field, passing through other ships completely and being immune to lock-ons and damage is a bit too god like for me; the grenades, somehow manage to hug the track and bounce when upside down and pointless when compared to rockets.

5 - The 'super' weapons. I found that only the FEISAR multi-missile was of any real practical use in a race (possibly the black hole too, but seriously? A black hole weapon? Its just too far out for me). The control jammer was also a bit pointless as you could simply switch your mental control mapping with enough practice.

6 - The fact that you (at least as far as I know of) couldn't unlock the crazy track you race the guy on in the league system. Is is Devilia?

7 - The move away from the dark, techno-apocalyptic settings to bright and cheery sunshine land.

8 - The lack of distinct speed classes and the introduction of money to upgrade your ship. Its just not WipEout.

9 - Potentially controversial. The ships all looked a bit whack if you ask me... especially in an intermediate stage of upgrading.

10 - The bias in AI weapons damage. Am I the only one who found that a single shell from the otherwise rather pathetic proton cannon fired up your ass by the computer often resulted in major engine failure, wall riding and multiple race position losses?

I think it's fair to say that since none of these features made it into subsequent titles there must have been a similar consensus at Studio Liverpool! However, I'm looking forward to a lively debate now...

OneAVGNFan
3rd January 2010, 03:31 AM
10. Visible damage on the ships
9. The speed glich on Kamoda 12 course 3
8. Piranha's superweapon
7. VanUber's very poor shields
6. Only the secret area is for 1:1 racing duels
5. Proton cannons and gravity bombs
4. Tigron replaces Qirex:-
3. G-Tech replaces AG-Sys and their ships are the worst ever.:naughty
2. Zone Mode (crippled with no recovery. I'll stick to HD) (aware that I'm a minority on this):evil
1. Some of the open segements on the track (Cubulis Float 2 and 3 and Temesh Bay 2 and 3):bomb

Koleax
3rd January 2010, 06:24 PM
10. The siren warning as your ship implodes. So loud and obnoxious. Does it have to alert the people down the hall from me?

OneAVGNFan
3rd January 2010, 07:04 PM
I am with you about that.

OBH
18th April 2010, 11:15 AM
you know i cant even think of 10 thing i hate about fusion.

Besides glitchy tracks, and the TERRIBLE idea of making all fully upgraded ships a dull grey colour i loved it.

omega329
12th June 2010, 09:24 PM
I don't know if anyone's noticed this, but AIs can shoot through walls.
Seriously, go to the challenges, play the first G-Tech one, and park underneath (behind if possible) one of the drops other than the first one, I've been killed waiting there before now, completely out of sight from the enemy.