PDA

View Full Version : Awesome gaming moments in Wipeout

pinkturkey
22nd August 2003, 01:27 PM
I'm interested to hear about peoples' critical gaming moments in the wipeout series. :o

I've got two major moments i recall vividly, unfortunately only from wipeout fusion, I cant remember much from the 1st wipeout besides coming 1st in the Venom league.
First one was on Florion Height with the loop, my craft was in the red for shield energy & I could feel the rumble of a quake coming along & i look behind see it approaching & Im praying for shield powerup JUST as the quake hits & I get one!! Woohoo!

The other one was on Katmoda 12. Right as I enter the tunnel I look back & the awesome orbital Laser blasts down. Damn it was awesome looking at it in rear view cam :o :o

Lance
22nd August 2003, 05:49 PM
''...I look back & the awesome orbital Laser blasts down''

i never look back; i may be missing some great moments!

hm... some of mine would include the first time i ever played Wip3out. that feeling of doing something absolutely different from everyday present time experience.

the first time i made it all the way through a lap without hitting a wall in phantom class

the first time i lapped other ships in phantom class

every time i set a new world's best recorded time in a particular class and track. while this has happened several times, it is inevitably followed by the disappointment of having a really good pilot come back the next day and beat my time. sigh

but there's always the nExt time!

lunar
29th August 2003, 01:38 AM
Too many to list after getting initally hooked on Phentia Park, Venom, 2097, but the best are competing against quality opposition and getting in the top 10 on every zone course, though I don`t think I`m there anymore, getting my first reset, and beating some WO3 times I never thought I could (monkeys, shakespeare etc)

next awesome wipeout moment: racing you all ONLINE. :P :D

Nick Burcombe
29th August 2003, 02:40 PM
Not a gaming moment......but seeing the 1st person in Manchester Virgin MegaStore (i think) buying the very 1st copy at midnight on playstation launch day back in 1995. Quite a special moment :) Me and a few team members were there for the launch and we thought we're up against Toshinden and Ridgey and the likes, but person after person after person were in there to buy Wipeout... Lovely feeling :)

Nick

Roger
29th August 2003, 07:55 PM
I remember the awesome feeling first time I played Wip3out: racing around Porto Kora in that good ol' Feisar, bang-bang-BANGING against the walls, with DJ Sasha's Xpander playing in the background.

the first time i made it all the way through a lap without hitting a wall in phantom class.
I haven't even unlocked phantom yet, so I don't know that feeling. However, I remember feeling utterly useless the first 20 or so times I raced Stanza Inter. Even in Vector class it was utterly impossible to get around the track within the time limit. :oops:

Luckily, my racing skills have improved somewhat :wink:

Oh yes: first time I managed to win Odessa Keys. Had struggled with it for two days, finally got first place with the use of a hyperthrust: blasted past the leader on the final straight! :o

Lance
29th August 2003, 09:01 PM
i actually find it easier to get through the Stanza Inter tunnel in Rapier class than in Vector. unfortunately, i find the rest of the course mOre difficult in Rapier. and i dislike the ambience of the track so much that i almost never race on it. [sings]''I haven't got time for the pain.''

Odessa Keys: i hear, and i echo. i beat my head against the wall in a racing session that must have lasted for at least two hours, maybe more. i lost track of time. over and over again i raced against those AI bastards. it was only after i gave up for the night, and tried again the next day that i beat it fairly early in the session while i was still fresh. but it still ain't easy.
it's a very cool track; i like it way better than SI

Tammiru
30th August 2003, 07:40 AM
Theres been so many great moments I've had in the series so I'll just go thru one for each game;

WipEout: Finishing vector/rapier classes for the first time, a true rush.

WipEout 2097: Breaking the 30 second mark for a lap in grae' de eurpoa

Wip3out: Blazing around in mega mall in phantom class for the first time

Wipeout 4: Unlocking my beloved piranha.. oh yes!

Racing others online someday would be an awesome experince, I guess I'll have to add that to my "to do" list. Also playing any wipeout game with friends is a great thing to do, everyone loves wipeout!

-tammiru

zargz
31st August 2003, 06:19 PM
i actually find it easier to get through the Stanza Inter tunnel in Rapier class than in Vector. unfortunately, i find the rest of the course mOre difficult in Rapier. and i dislike the ambience of the track so much that i almost never race on it. [sings]''I haven't got time for the pain.''
man, stop bitching about stanza and use some breaks in the higher levels! (>_<#)
it's 1 of my favorite trax - I even call it my 'home track' (*^_^*)
hey that gives me an idea of a topic!
gottago ((((( ^_^)/

zargz
31st August 2003, 06:39 PM
I haven't even unlocked phantom yet, so I don't know that feeling. However, I remember feeling utterly useless the first 20 or so times I raced Stanza Inter. Even in Vector class it was utterly impossible to get around the track within the time limit. :oops:
Luckily, my racing skills have improved somewhat :wink:
Oh yes: first time I managed to win Odessa Keys. Had struggled with it for two days, finally got first place with the use of a hyperthrust: blasted past the leader on the final straight! :o

yeah that's great feeling ! (((((m^_^)m

but 'I haven't even unlocked phantom yet'??!! c'mon man! let's get a grip - skärpning va? (^_-)

back on topic:

since wo1 was the first1 and the hardest to beat imo it'd have 2b the time I beted it the 1st time both venom and rapier
I still remember the first time I saw the wining lap after u win a championship. and the text congratulating u for the win
then urging u to beat rapier too!! (@_@)
other high was when I got infron of al on the tt vec pk
and 'fcource Every time I get a 1st place on any track and any class ! (^_^)/

Lance
31st August 2003, 08:27 PM
i dO use brakes in higher levels. i even used to use brakes in vector. come to think of it, i still do in a few spots. like Hi-fumii

Roger
1st September 2003, 07:41 AM
but 'I haven't even unlocked phantom yet'??!! c'mon man! let's get a grip - skärpning va?
Hey, gimme a break, man! :lol:
Seriously, I've been busy improving my times in Vector and Venom. It's partly your fault, Zargz, for convincing me to bite the bullet and start using Icaras (I used to be a hardcore AG-Sys fan)

zargz
1st September 2003, 02:23 PM
yeah, leaves a bitter taste doesn't it? (>_<)
piranha was mY favorite .. ( '_') ..

jmoid
1st September 2003, 03:32 PM
hm... some of mine would include the first time i ever played Wip3out. that feeling of doing something absolutely different from everyday present time experience.

Well put - I know that feeling! When I first tried out 2097 on the demo disc I got with my Playstation and found the game I'd always been looking for, then stayed up until god knows what time playing Gare d'Europa over and over... happy memories.

The other moment that I really remember would be the 2nd time I came 1st at Spilsinanke. Hurtling down the final straight, one ship in front of me, plasma bolt icon at the top of the screen... "Contender eliminated"...

zaarock
7th November 2003, 02:50 PM
well i havent played any wipeout game for half a year so hmm i dont remember anything but i did get pissed off of the no replay in wipeout fusion (omg im getting dumb this is reallyy off topic) (why am i talking to myself?) :o k im getting nuts

Dimension
7th November 2003, 11:25 PM
I'm late as a mofo as usual but some of mine would include...

The first time i got wipeout working, sound and all. It was my first ever Pc-cdrom game so the first impressions from the video and the great opening bassline of messij right until i started my first race was something i look back on fondly :)

my first rapier race after spending so many nights trying to beat venom in the original WO, thrilling stuff!

using my first quake-'thingy' (not good at terminology) in 2097