PDA

View Full Version : any news on this coming to ps4?

amjw
1st February 2016, 05:44 PM
surely i can't be the only one here who wishes this game would come to ps4.

and surely it couldn't be very difficult (if at all) to port it there.

so does anyone know why it isn't being done? (outside of SL being shut down)

Hellfire_WZ
1st February 2016, 09:16 PM
Chances are next to zero, porting a game really isn't as easy as you think. The Vita and PS4 have very different architectures, and porting would be an incredibly time consuming process without the original team there. Unless Sony could be guaranteed that it would be financially worth their while to do so, there's no way they'd assign so many resources to it.

Sausehuhn
4th February 2016, 08:57 AM
Weren’t there (unofficial) plans to at least consider a port to PS3 at the time (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-wipeout-2048-tech-interview)?
Well, Pulse got ported to PS2 many years later by another studio and they even cared to overhaul textures. So, maybe Sony milks the cash cow to make a quick buck as the PS3 turns older.

But, yeah, anyway, I’m with Charlie on this one. Chances are next to zero. WipEout is dead after all :|

Hybrid Divide
4th February 2016, 09:07 PM
I don't think WipEout is completely dead, but, rather, in a long slumber.

I still have faith it'll wake up someday. :)

Light Buster
10th February 2016, 06:27 PM
Unless Wipeout makes a showing at the next E3 or some big gaming convention with proper financial backing and a great team, doubtful it'll come to the PS4.

AGSys
10th February 2016, 11:09 PM
Definitely hoping Sony picks it up again. It was one of the franchises that even gave the original PlayStation all that attention. It was the hot new thing back then, with dark techno/electro music and awesome, unique and futuristic designs. But now it's been dominated by action adventure type games. So I'm pretty sure they're worried about how it'll sell since it's a niche in an already increasingly unpopular genre. Sony needs to do some research into how to reintroduce a classic franchise, how to market it, and how to sell it well.

AdHoc
12th February 2016, 02:55 AM
Sony needs to do some research into how to reintroduce a classic franchise, how to market it, and how to sell it well.

They already did that with HD/Fury by making it a PSN title only.

Unless Wipeout makes a showing at the next E3 or some big gaming convention with proper financial backing and a great team, doubtful it'll come to the PS4.

Why next E3 and not the one after that, or the one after that?

AGSys
12th February 2016, 12:00 PM
Oh yeah, totally. But I meant in a way that better suits today's gaming environment. Like, some games are using different methods to generate revenue - like for instance (not necessarily because it would fit WipEout, but just as a general example) if they made it free to play, but made it so you could buy cosmetics with real money if you so wished like ship skins and alternate models and stuff, it could work. Another way to go about it is if they held regular community events with prizes and in-game rewards so something like that could help keep it an active community. They could also make it a lot more character and/or story driven (personally I love that WipEout has largely remained business-oriented and professional like irl F1 but just throwing it out there), so for each ship you could create your own custom pilot with different options and again, with certain cosmetic items possibly up for sale. Lately a lot more online character based games seem to be getting attention such as Overwatch and the like with different factions and teams to side with, so incorporating that into something like WipEout could work if done properly. And they also need to do a damn good job of advertising and marketing the game - unlike how they handled 2048. They barely gave it any attention. Most of it was directed at PS Vita indie titles and games like Uncharted. It's not impossible to make WipEout popular again, Sony just has to give enough of a damn.

Light Buster
13th February 2016, 04:13 PM
Why next E3 and not the one after that, or the one after that?

Because it'll show me that Sony does actually give a damn about their series rather than let them rot away.

AdHoc
13th February 2016, 11:48 PM
That's just you being impatient. In reality, if there's a chance whatsoever to see a new Wipeout coming to PS4, it could be anytime down the line.

Light Buster
14th February 2016, 07:26 AM
Maybe I am getting impatient. I would love to see progress at the very least. Another reason why I don't have much faith in Sony ATM.

blackwiggle
15th February 2016, 12:15 PM
Well Sony need to do something for the PS4, the games released so far for it haven't exactly set the world on fire, and there have been very few exclusives.

It makes me wonder what would happen if Formula Fusion became a huge hit.

Would Sony think, hey, we have the original Wipeout sitting in deep freeze, lets get it out again..... but then would they stuff it up by giving it to a team that wouldn't do it justice?.... looking at the long line of really dumb decisions that have been made by Sony over the last 5-8 years one would have to say Yes, they probably would, and they would want that team to build that game ASAP, which would compound the problem.

Or even worse, they would tie it in with a dead horse and make it a PS NOW exclusive, which was doomed to fail as soon as they released the prices for the service ...you want HOW MUCH?... you're Dreaming Sony.

Yeah, I don't have much faith in Sony any more either, haven't in a Looong time.

AGSys
15th February 2016, 08:03 PM
Yeah they seem to want things outside reason, and it's not just with games. They've been like this with movies too. Remember Spider-Man 3 and the recent Amazing Spider-Man 2? The way they handle things and take everything into their own hands and yet still expect it to work is ridiculous. Their demands and the time frame for said demands is also very unreasonable. Sam Raimi even expressed that his work was meddled with and he only included so many villains and useless plot points due to pressure from the studio. Venom wasn't even meant to be in the movie. And then after something like that fails; and understandably so might I add, they just treat it as an actual failure and forget they had anything to do with it. It's like Sony is being run by damn babies. I'd definitely have my doubts if they indeed do announce that they're gonna produce another WipEout, but don't say which studio is gonna be developing it. The obvious and "correct" candidate would be Firesprite, or possibly R8 but that would be unlikely since they're working on FF.

AdHoc
15th February 2016, 10:41 PM
What I wonder is, regardless of the team they would employ, if they would/could take HD/Fury as a technical base to create the new game. And I don't mean as an inspiration, I mean the actual physics engine and gameplay features, in particular.
They only need to copy that part of the code and all the rest, graphics, design, storyline, game modes, can be adapted.
And voilÃ*?

blackwiggle
16th February 2016, 11:24 AM
That's always been the case.

In all honesty, I would rather Sony sell the IP to Wipeout.

Surprising as it might seem to forum members...the bidding might not get that high if this sale was to go through.

If the IP to Wipeout were to be put on the market.....personally, I would, if asked, help finance R8 to get those rights..... it just seems to me the rights were in good hands ....then no more stuffing about . :nod

JABBERJAW
16th March 2016, 08:40 PM
They should hire Bigsnake to produce it. What he has accomplished regarding the physics by himself is quite amazing, almost replicating the earlier physics exactly. Add people to help him with the graphics and ai so it doesn't take so long, add Rob Foxx and Arnaud to get it just right.

Nick Burcombe would be the other obvious choice.

Hybrid Divide
3rd April 2016, 08:25 AM
I know I'D donate to the cause of buying the rights to WipEout. That would be amazing!

Chill
20th April 2016, 02:39 AM
I don't think WipEout is completely dead, but, rather, in a long slumber.

I still have faith it'll wake up someday. :)

So far I'm pretty damn well impressed with Slipstream, Ballistic and Formula Fusion.. Hadn't played any of them but they look pretty spot on in terms of signature Wipeout.. I wouldn't get caught too much on names, AG Racing seems to be still thriving.. I just need to be able to afford a damn PC someday.. Great work guys!!!

Hybrid Divide
20th April 2016, 07:16 PM
So far I'm pretty damn well impressed with Slipstream, Ballistic and Formula Fusion.. Hadn't played any of them but they look pretty spot on in terms of signature Wipeout.. I wouldn't get caught too much on names, AG Racing seems to be still thriving.. I just need to be able to afford a damn PC someday.. Great work guys!!!

Don't get me wrong! I'm happy about all the community driven games, too. But a new official WipEout game from a spirited developer could be something special, too. :D

The Mammalizer
26th April 2016, 07:56 PM
WipEout will live on in games inspired by it

Racingfan
26th December 2017, 03:48 PM
It's weird reading this thread today. Now we wipeout omega collection & soon to be released a VR update. & a chance seeing a new game :D