PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout (the music) - rare stuff?

Roger
12th August 2003, 11:38 AM
I spotted an interesting item on an auction site, managed to snag it for 13 euros (postage included). It's a CD entitled Wipeout (the music). I'm wondering whether this is a limited edition thingy, since I've never seen it mentioned anywhere - as opposed to the soundtrack album for WO2097.

Here is a scan of the cover (http://www.kallman.net/misc/wipeout_the_music.jpg).

And here is the tracklist:

Leftfield - Afro Ride
Chemical Brothers - Chemical Beats
New Order - Blue Monday (Hardfloor Mix)
The Age Of Love - The Age Of Love (Jam & Spoon Mix)
Orbital - Wipeout (P.E.T.R.O.L)
The Prodigy - One Love (The Narcotic Suite) (Edit)
Manic Street Preachers - La Tristesse Dureara (Scream To Sigh)
Sunscreem - When (K-Klass/Pharmacy Mix)
BB Featuring Angie Brown - Good Enough (Gemini's Psychosis Mix)
Robert Armani - Circus Bells (Hardfloor Remix)
Dreadzone - Captain Dread
The Shamen - Transamazonia (Deepdish Rockit Express Dub Mix)

Some rather interesting mixes in there, don't you agree?

Comments, please.

Oh yes - with the CD came this flyer (http://www.kallman.net/misc/wipeout_flyer.jpg) 8)

Damon
12th August 2003, 01:17 PM
It wasn't a rare limited edition I'm afraid - it was openly on sale in yer average high street music store around the time that the original Wipeout was released back in 1995.

It's got the 3 licensed music tracks from the game - the Leftfield, Chem Bros and Orbital tracks - plus a load of other stuff cobbled together because it was kind of in the same vein. Some decent tracks though, that's for sure.

And here's an interesting fact for those who listen to UK radio. The girl on the flyer is none other than Radio One's Sara Cox (before she was famous I might add!).

Back in those days, she was a humble model hired from the Manchester Model Agency. And we really got in trouble for those 'bloody nose' ads - I remember The Sun newspaper carrying the headline 'KIDS GAME IN DRUG AD ROW!'.

I mean, what a cheek. 'Kids game'????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ask you!

amber
12th August 2003, 02:09 PM
It wasn't a rare limited edition I'm afraid - it was openly on sale in yer average high street music store around the time that the original Wipeout was released back in 1995.

It's got the 3 licensed music tracks from the game - the Leftfield, Chem Bros and Orbital tracks - plus a load of other stuff cobbled together because it was kind of in the same vein. Some decent tracks though, that's for sure.

This really puzzles me, if you relate to my recent post:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1046

Did I travel in time or did I play a WipEout with Chemical Brothers on the soundtrack back in *1995*?

/amber

Damon
12th August 2003, 02:21 PM
If you played the European PAL version of Wipeout in 1995, then it DID feature the Chemical Brothers (and Orbital, Leftfield and Psygnosis' in-house music guy Cold Storage).

However, the NTSC version released in the States at the same time only featured Cold Storage, as Psygnosis' US office did not believe that it was worth the money to license the other stuff. They claimed that no one in the States was interested in dance music.

I'm afraid I don't know what then happened to the soundtrack - maybe the licenses only lasted for a certain length of time? Perhaps subsequent PAL reissues reverted to the Cold Storage-only soundtrack? I don't honestly know...... sorry.

AmishRobot
12th August 2003, 06:45 PM
I was always curious about that, since shortly before to shortly after the first game's release, I kept reading about it's licensed soundtrack, but when it came out, it only had Cold Storage. (not that I'm complaining. :)) I've been meaning to ask about it, but always forgot. At least now I have a tracklist.

BTW, I would love to get a scan of that ad. I remember seeing it in Next Generation magazine and loving it. You've gotta admit that it does somewhat infer drug use, but it's pretty indirect. And most pop songs since the 60's that aren't about sex are about drugs. Or both.

And that ad is really cool. :)

amber
13th August 2003, 05:15 AM
If you played the European PAL version of Wipeout in 1995, then it DID feature the Chemical Brothers (and Orbital, Leftfield and Psygnosis' in-house music guy Cold Storage).

Thanks man! I started to suspect that I've lived a double-life as a time-cop along with J-C van Damme. :lol:

/amber

Damon
13th August 2003, 08:39 AM
BTW, I would love to get a scan of that ad. I remember seeing it in Next Generation magazine and loving it. You've gotta admit that it does somewhat infer drug use, but it's pretty indirect.

Oh I do admit it. I seem to remember the official line at the time was that it was the game's intense speed that had caused the nose bleeds but, well, has that ever happened to you? :D

And to be honest, I think it turned out a lot more bloody than we originally envisaged - the make-up artist really went to town on it!!

Interestingly, the German press would not allow the ads to appear with the blood so alternative versions were shot for Germany in which the models had kind of passed out. In fact, they looked much worse than in the bloody nose ads, because it just looked like they were dead. Very disturbing.

I may have a scannable copy of the ad somewhere - no promises, but I'll have a root around and see if I can dig something out.

AmishRobot
13th August 2003, 12:10 PM
Don't think you went too far. If I recall correctly, the order in which I noticed it in the ad went something like this:
"Cute chick."
"Cute t-shirt."
"Breasts!"
"BLOOD!"

:lol:

AmigoJack
22nd December 2003, 08:28 PM
the ads? i think i catched nearly both versions of it somewhere in the net (according to the filetime it must be over 2yrs ago...) pls better click the link and SAVE the images to disk rather then re-viewing them a couple of times, because thats a DIRECT link to my home machine and my upload bandwidth is quite low:

http://amigojack.no-ip.org/wo/index.html - have phun
(who is sara cox? did i miss anything??)

oh - i just added 3 more pics because ive read a couple of threads (for a long time again) dealing with the topic "sega saturn" and other issues like "im collecting w'o''-material".

btw: i have BOTH soundtrack. the 2097 long before. and the silver one you said i just got the recent days via amazon. just to have it.

Damon
23rd December 2003, 01:06 PM
(who is sara cox? did i miss anything??)

She currently presents the morning show on BBC Radio 1. She's pretty well known in the UK, though when she was selected for the Wipeout ads, she was unknown.

More info here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/saracox/

Silver Rush
22nd February 2005, 02:25 AM
Talking about the flyer, where can i get the shirt that the guy is wearing?, was it a shirt specially made for the ad?, can i buy wipeout clothes anywhere? can somebody help me with this?

PS (Some "Future Sound of London" T-Shirts would be helpful too!)

Chill
22nd February 2005, 04:39 AM
Well, I tried finding it, but man, did I know they could be so hard to find!!!! :x
--
Welcome to the Zone!!! I love the jokes on your site, they're awesome!!!! :lol:

mid
22nd February 2005, 09:02 AM
I've been hunting for that CD on and off for years, after initially passing it by becase, well, I already had most of the tracks.

Coincidentally enough, I actually bought it on Saturday - £2 at a car boot sale, and the flyer was still inside. Bargain!

zargz
22nd February 2005, 09:27 AM
THE T-SHIRTS!!!!!! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/huh.gif
Man I been turning up & down the net for a kel solaar LOGO and there she sits with arials!
that means solaars must be somewhere! http://www.geocities.com/zargz/leenden/pgr.gif

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

Dimension
23rd February 2005, 05:16 AM
maybe if we ask mano or one of the other good artists to draw a bigger one and then just print it and take it to the local "add my t-shirt picture" place.

By the way, like the ad, interesting thing for Sara Cox to have on her "before I was famous" CV :D

Chill
23rd February 2005, 03:05 PM
Hey, ya Dim!!!! Maybe the Wipeout T-shirt made her famous!!!! :lol:
--
Nah, I dought it. What was it that made Sara Cox so famous, anyway? To be honest, I never knew her until she was mentioned in these forums (I'm an American).
--
Good idea with the shirt. Perhaps we should do more than one!!!! :wink:

Frankie Lee
23rd February 2005, 04:15 PM
IIRC wasn't the original Wipeout playable in a CD player, or was that just 2097? One of them certainly was because I remember thinking it was really cool. The original TombRaider did the same, even down to the dialogue.

Roger
23rd February 2005, 07:00 PM
Frankie: yes, all installations of wipEout for Playstation are playable in a CD-player.

mid
24th February 2005, 01:02 PM
As are the PC releases, by the way. 2097 at least has tracks by Tim that the PS version doesn't.

Damon
24th February 2005, 02:44 PM
Just going back to the subject of those shirts in the ad...

They were cheap one-offs that we made specifically for the ad shoot. We just had the logos transfer-printed onto the shirts by some local copy shop.

Sara Cox's was then slashed in half to make it a bit more... um... 'revealing'. And then they were pretty messed up with all the false blood and stuff.

They probably got chucked away, or else the models took them home.

Silver Rush
24th February 2005, 06:21 PM
well, would it look good if we took a logo picture to one of those local "make your own shirt" places, or would the logo have to be really big or something, cuz im thinking a white shirt with an AG-Systems logo or a white shirt with the original wipeout logo, just like the one in the ad.

Alphonse75020
3rd August 2005, 05:02 PM
Well take a look at this picture
http://pix.nofrag.com/60/d5/460ab1034156cae42449c84dc0a2.jpg (http://pix.nofrag.com/60/d5/460ab1034156cae42449c84dc0a2.html)

I think this is really rare stuff, a Wip3out CD

Sausehuhn
3rd August 2005, 05:04 PM
8O There it is!
Is it the CD that was only available in a magazine?

Alphonse75020
3rd August 2005, 05:09 PM
And because somebody talk about a t-shirt, here is a picture of an official Wipeout t-shirt
Back (http://pix.nofrag.com/69/12/159c0db3c54ba418ec2c861c6796.html)
Front (http://pix.nofrag.com/dd/bc/2e6131b06cfa8edd73aad7ed5abf.html)

How lucky I am.... :lol:

Edit by mod: Images too big, changed to link, please read the forum guidelines. Nifty shirt, BTW. 8 )

Sausehuhn
3rd August 2005, 05:43 PM
definately the wrong thread but man, that is ... that is... awesome 8O Wanna have them!!

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 08:28 AM
8O There it is!
Is it the CD that was only available in a magazine?

yes it is, I have the Wipeout album mentioned at the top of the thread, the Wipeout 2097 album and the one from above piccy. It's a pity they didnt do an album of Wipeout 64, because the music on that was really, really good!!

On a side note about tracks, I also managed to snag MP3's of every track from wipeout pure as well :D

Silver Rush
10th November 2008, 06:44 PM
Alright, for any of you that are STILL interested in this thread (even though it's been over 5 years) I managed to find a place with a few of these "Wipeout The Music" CDs. Yup, it's our very own Amazon UK. I managed to order one, and I got it in mint condition. (I thought it was going to be a mistake and I was going to get the Wipeout game itself) but it's the actual CD. The link is below if you want to check it out......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000AW3M

Lance
10th November 2008, 10:35 PM
"this thread (even though it's been over 5 years) "

3 years.

I couldn't resist pointing out the inaccuracy [typo?]. Sorry about that. I was hoping that it would be a new record for resurrecting an old thread.

RJ O'Connell
10th November 2008, 10:38 PM
For reference, here's the all-time record (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473) for necroposting.

[/offtopic]

Silver Rush
10th November 2008, 10:46 PM
First post: 12th August 2003, 01:38 PM

Sorry mate, I think I worded it wrong, what I meant was 5 years since it started, not 5 years since the last post.

Lance
10th November 2008, 10:58 PM
Well, it's the gap between last and next that counts. Man, I thought we might have a new one. :g

Darkdrium777
11th November 2008, 05:25 AM
Well someone could always go ahead and post in the first thread ever made in these forums. That would be the absolute oldest I believe.

Lance
11th November 2008, 02:16 PM
But that would be a fake record made just for the purpose of being a record; if a record is made, it should be for the reason that someone was genuinely interested in the topic and wanted to comment.

I despise the idiots who make up some artificial task just in order to be mentioned in the Guinness Book of World Records. Immortalised for being a pointless wanker. Wheeeeeee. :rolleyes:

RJ O'Connell
11th November 2008, 05:53 PM
Hey. I take pride in my record for "World's Longest Burp Held Whilst Driving A Daihatsu Lowrider Pickup Truck Playing Journey's 'Don't Stop Believin' At Full Blast Down Interstate 65 South, en route to a Wal-Mart Supercentre in Birmingham."*

*not really. ;)

You know, I wonder why NTSC players never got those three music tracks that were PAL-exclusive.

Silver Rush
11th November 2008, 06:52 PM
It's because when they were developing the game, they figured it wasn't worth it to pay the licensing fee for the tracks because Americans don't like dance music

=P

Not only that, but there are 3 other tracks on the Sega Saturn version of the game by Rob Lord & Mark Bandola. Personally I’ve never heard them before, I don't have the Saturn version, but they must be pretty good to be involved with wipeout.

(And in other news, CoLD SToRAGE has just released a mini-album on his website that apparently contains a song that was originally supposed to be in the first WipEout, that too I would like to check out.)

DawnFireDragoon
11th November 2008, 09:49 PM
the saturn version of 2097 also had some exclusive cold storage most people haven't heard. a good remix of body in motion, called body plus, which is slow and builds into the familiar tune. and a good track called hakapik murder...i think. very cool for fans of tim's music.

Silver Rush
11th November 2008, 11:36 PM
the saturn version of 2097 also had some exclusive cold storage most people haven't heard. a good remix of body in motion, called body plus, which is slow and builds into the familiar tune. and a good track called hakapik murder...i think. very cool for fans of tim's music.

Yes, they were also included in the PC version of them game. But they're not that rare I’m afraid, they're available for free on Tim’s website if you wanna download them:

http://www.coldstorage.org.uk/music.html

(Oh, and I forgot to mention, Rob Lord & Mark Bandola are the people behind "PC Music", the same people that composed some songs for Wipeout 64)

camroncamera
7th April 2009, 05:43 AM
As a big fan of the music of the Wipe'Out" series like many of you, I recently purchased from ebay UK a copy of Wipe'Out" European PAL Sega Saturn for the exclusive music tracks "Brickbat", "Planet 9" and "Poison" by PC Music.

The disc is in great condition but I noticed a couple digital audio dropouts while listening to "Planet 9" (dropouts @1:00, 3:24) and "Poison" (slight dropout @ 3:33). Can anyone confirm if these dropouts are on any other copies of the Sega Saturn Version or do I just have a bum disc?

Thanks for the help W'O" music fans!

Silver Rush
7th April 2009, 07:47 PM
Hmm, I don't remember hearing anything like that when I listened to them, but let me just say that I'm not a fan of those tracks lol. After a while of hunting and finally finding them, I listened to them and they didn't sound like anything I expected, so I was kinda let down =/

But anyway, back to the sound problem....

Here's an ISO of the original game with the extra songs. Burn it or mount it and play it in a CD player or something and see if you experience the same problems. Since you actually bought the game (which I think everyone on this forum has anyways in some version or another lol) I don't think it would be illegal to compare this to yours.

ftp://89.149.202.120/Sega%20Saturn/Wipeout%20(U)(Saturn).zip

if the direct link doesn't work try this:

http://www.emuparadise.org/roms/439/Sega%20Saturn/Wipeout_(U).php

camroncamera
9th April 2009, 04:51 PM
Thank you so much for your leads! However, I have not been able to get the image to make available any recognizable audio files. I've explored the emu technique as well as burning an iso to disc but it really boils down to I don't know what I'm doing ;)

I'll try to be more specific as to the audio defects I can hear:

"Planet 9" - At 1:00 into the song, there is a sudden burst of noise like "static", on the left channel only. It is only momentary (1/10th second or so) and it is clearly a defect and not part of the song's composition. At 3:24, another slightly shorter and slightly quieter burst of noise occurs, again, left channel only. The music does not skip or change time at either occurrence.

"Poison" - at 3:33, there is a slight low-frequency blip (you guessed it - left channel only) and is barely even worth mentioning. I can barely hear it with headphones and I would no doubt have not even noticed were it not for the more obvious dropouts on "Planet 9" that caused me to carefully QC the exclusive PC Music tracks for which I purchased the game disc.

Sorry to be such a QC nerd here. I've been on a mission to collect as much Wipe'Out" music as I can get hold of and I've already been burned by the second release of "Wip3out: The Music" which was chock-full of digital dropouts on my two factory pressings (see discussion here: http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3120&page=14 )

Thanks again everyone!

Silver Rush
9th April 2009, 05:07 PM
Thank you so much for your leads! However, I have not been able to get the image to make available any recognizable audio files. I've explored the emu technique as well as burning an iso to disc but it really boils down to I don't know what I'm doing ;)

I'll try to be more specific as to the audio defects I can hear:

"Planet 9" - At 1:00 into the song, there is a sudden burst of noise like "static", on the left channel only. It is only momentary (1/10th second or so) and it is clearly a defect and not part of the song's composition. At 3:24, another slightly shorter and slightly quieter burst of noise occurs, again, left channel only. The music does not skip or change time at either occurrence.

"Poison" - at 3:33, there is a slight low-frequency blip (you guessed it - left channel only) and is barely even worth mentioning. I can barely hear it with headphones and I would no doubt have not even noticed were it not for the more obvious dropouts on "Planet 9" that caused me to carefully QC the exclusive PC Music tracks for which I purchased the game disc.

Sorry to be such a QC nerd here. I've been on a mission to collect as much Wipe'Out" music as I can get hold of and I've already been burned by the second release of "Wip3out: The Music" which was chock-full of digital dropouts on my two factory pressings (see discussion here: http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3120&page=14 )

Thanks again everyone!

That's very strange, because usually when a CD is defective it doesn't make the same "messing up" noises each time you play it, usually it does somthing different every time. The ISO that's up there should work with just about any burning program, What I did was burn it with Nero, and pop it back into my computer when iTunes was running, and all the songs on the CD came up on there, but, you could just put it into your CD player and play anything besides track 1 and it should work.

Silver Rush
9th April 2009, 05:31 PM
And also, I got some questions about "Various - Wip3out - The Music", because up untill now I didn't even know about it lol. I've been looking around and the people that are uploading it only have 1 track. Is that the way it is on the cd? just 1 big track? and do you still have the version with the chemical brothers track in it, because the person that uploaded it to you on the other forum, the link expired =/

camroncamera
9th April 2009, 06:20 PM
Wip3out: The Music is one continuous track; the songs are not separated but rather "megamixed" together on the CD. Individual songs are not selectable.

I took another stab at the iso, and this time I figured it out! Thanks!! But guess what, those same defects/dropouts are in the same places of those songs! Oh well, now I know for sure!

Can you tell me if this version is UK/Europe (PAL) or USA (NTSC)?

Silver Rush
9th April 2009, 06:31 PM
Can you tell me if this version is UK/Europe (PAL) or USA (NTSC)?[/QUOTE]

I think it's the US version. That's very strange, it works totally fine for me. It must be what you're playing it on? that's my only guess lol

and it might be a stretch of me to ask you this, but could you send me that Wip3out - The Music CD? lol I'm interested to see what it's all about

camroncamera
9th April 2009, 06:46 PM
Yeah the Saturn music plays just fine. It looks to me that the dropouts I'm hearing are in the mastering, not the media. It's on both my UK Saturn Disc and the iso I just burned. I'm pretty confident you can hear it too... cue "Planet 9" up to the times marked and listen carefully... blink (with your ears) and you'll miss it ;)

Anyway, thanks so much for helping me solve this mystery!

AG-wolf
10th April 2009, 04:07 PM

This is due to the source music. They used vinyls on some of there samples in Planet 9, and those are just pops on the record. I edited them out unnoticeably if you want an mp3 of it.

camroncamera
11th April 2009, 05:50 PM
I imported the tracks into Audacity and edited out the glitches myself. At a few points I too can hear some vinyl crackle, but the big hits I hear don't seem to be vinyl noise. Anyway, they sound good now. Thanks for everyone's input!

Aero-R
4th June 2009, 04:12 PM
Hmm, I don't remember hearing anything like that when I listened to them, but let me just say that I'm not a fan of those tracks lol. After a while of hunting and finally finding them, I listened to them and they didn't sound like anything I expected, so I was kinda let down =/

But anyway, back to the sound problem....

Here's an ISO of the original game with the extra songs. Burn it or mount it and play it in a CD player or something and see if you experience the same problems. Since you actually bought the game (which I think everyone on this forum has anyways in some version or another lol) I don't think it would be illegal to compare this to yours.

ftp://89.149.202.120/Sega%20Saturn/Wipeout%20(U)(Saturn).zip

if the direct link doesn't work try this:

http://www.emuparadise.org/roms/439/Sega%20Saturn/Wipeout_(U).php
I wanted to thank you Silver Rush. Those .ISO in that site will help me to do a FLAC 24/96 KHz recording of the different audio of each game.

Until the momento I only had a recording of the Sega Saturn and Playstation versions of wip'Eout'', and the sound of wip'Eout'' 64. Now I'll complete it with the time. As soon as I've finished recordings I'll post them because there are not ways in which we could support the artists by buying the old music CDs since they are no longer in stock, just being sold as used ones, so I guess this wouldn't hurt anybody.

If anybody is interested on the wip'Eout'' 64 sound: http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=128638#post128638

SonicChaos
6th July 2009, 12:10 PM
I have the soundtracks to most of the games. It contains the soundtrack to each game. It was a great find. I dunno if I can find the link again though.

Slacker
6th July 2009, 11:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/HSH85?blend=2&ob=1
This guy has every Wipeout song there is, with a few exceptions. He is, however, missing those elusive Saturn exclusive songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjtHtUmGTpQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq6P8Gs8CPM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALOO8teCSy4
Brickbat, Planet 9, and Poison respectively. They still have those recording blips though.
If you can't find something, try future2097's channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/future2097
He completes the holes that HSH85 has left in his PS1 soundtrack collection.

SonicChaos
7th July 2009, 04:31 PM
Nicely done. Thanks for the links.

SpaceMunky
22nd July 2009, 08:48 PM
was just playing some Wipeout and thought i would just post on here that the music is AMAZING and so ahead of its time for videogames.
I had no idea the cd played the tracks in a cd player! I will have to find my copy (ive been playing the psn version)

Wipeout music FTW :rock

SonicChaos
23rd July 2009, 05:17 PM
It is FTW indeed. It's nice to have the original on the PSN but it may drive people away from HD due to the difficulty of it.

Medusa
25th July 2011, 04:50 PM
Help! I need to see the WipEout ad starring Sara Cox and the T-shirt, and all links in this thread have died.

Anybody still have the scan laying around?

EDIT: the ad referred to here is visible on Damon Fairclough's site here, about 3/4 down the page:
http://www.noiseheatpower.com/wipeout.htm

I'd still really, really love a scan. Anybody?

q_dmc12
26th July 2011, 05:13 PM
I found this, does this help (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4C1ZwEub0Po/TSjqsLXUtUI/AAAAAAAACww/fcp2UOuyAC8/s1600/wipeout_dangerous.jpg)? :|

For reference, here's the all-time record (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473) for necroposting.

[/offtopic]

Heyy! ;)

Medusa
26th July 2011, 09:26 PM
Heheheh :D

Thanks!! That's perfect! (Apparently my search skills are zero.)